Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Online Push!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> New Online Push! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Online Push! - 8/27/2006 5:24:48 PM   
puresimmer

We're getting ready to do some pretty exciting things with PureSim for online play! Matrix has agreed to provide free online league hosting for PureSim leagues and I have just completed integrating this into PureSim. Hopefully this will really add some pop to PureSim's vastly underappreciated multiplayer support. No monthly fees, no additional costs, just totally free server space. All you need is a copy of PureSim!

In the next RC PureSim will now have a new option when creating a multiplayer association to simply use Matrix's server. No need to enter FTP info, passwords, configuration, and best of all now worries around bandwith!

For testing purposes, I am going to setup RC4 to point at my own personal FTP server just to get proper testing and then at some point in the future we'll switch it over to the Matrix Server.

Note, the game will still support using your own FTP server as well, but the "Matrix Online" version will be the preferred mode moving forward.

Is anybody interested in trying this new feature out today? If so post a message in this thread.

< Message edited by puresimmer -- 8/27/2006 5:26:36 PM >

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Post #: 1
RE: New Online Push! - 8/27/2006 5:33:03 PM   
SittingDuck

Well, I missed that by like 48 hours...

...annnnnd a one year ftp server contract later....

Still, I guess it is nice to see the move.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: New Online Push! - 8/27/2006 5:41:48 PM   
SittingDuck

Actually, I am still in that period for a refund, so yes I would like info on that.  Please either PM me or post whatever link/info I need in this thread, as guys are already downloading my league for their first session of simming.

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 3
RE: New Online Push! - 8/27/2006 5:45:24 PM   
NYYANKSFAN

Definitely an awesome feature to have...Im interested in trying it out as I have been already pondering on starting up a league or not...but this may clinch it hehe.

Post #: 4
RE: New Online Push! - 8/27/2006 10:27:43 PM   
KG Erwin

Thanks, Shaun.  I dived into the multi-player experience, and I'm very happy that you and Matrix are throwing your support into exploring its potential. 

(in reply to NYYANKSFAN)
Post #: 5
RE: New Online Push! - 8/27/2006 11:34:06 PM   
XCom

I'm willing to give it a try, Shaun.  Using my own server space currently, but willing to give it a look and help with any testing.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: New Online Push! - 8/28/2006 1:15:07 AM   
rpommier

Sign me up! I'm very interested in this feature

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 7
RE: New Online Push! - 8/28/2006 1:42:13 AM   
akcranker

I think Matrix providing server space is a great idea to help push multiplayer for Puresim and hopefully bring over more players from the OOTP arena.

I'm in for testing as usual! :P

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 8
RE: New Online Push! - 8/28/2006 2:52:45 AM   
Sarge

I would be happy to pitch in, a help if needed.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 9
RE: New Online Push! - 8/28/2006 6:22:57 AM   
Abev

Can I get a brief overview how MP works? Does the assn file actually have to moved back and forth?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: New Online Push! - 8/28/2006 6:33:14 AM   
dneely

Great News Shaun.

I bunch of us have a new league starting and we are glad you will be supportive and help with server space as well.

DNeely

DNeely

PureSim Vet

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 11
RE: New Online Push! - 8/28/2006 6:49:13 PM   
Deltadog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Abev

Can I get a brief overview how MP works? Does the assn file actually have to moved back and forth?

Based on the time it takes, I would guess yes and no.

When I upload roster moves it takes about 12 seconds, so this would tend to indicate that when the manager sends updates to the FTP site the assn file does not move back. However, when the commissioner merged the roster moves to the association files, it appears that the entire file does come back. When I last logged onto the associaiton I got a message stated that a updated association file was available from the commissioner and using DSL it took 14 mintues for the file to comedown. When it finished downloading the message indicated that it was being decompressed. This took several seconds.

Before we got the FTP site set up, it took right at 14 -15 minutes to download the assocaition file in zip format from the site where it was stored.

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 12
RE: New Online Push! - 8/29/2006 2:23:55 AM   
Abev

Shaun this just popped into my head but its way way out there.

How about an online sql server with a conduit inside PS that just grabs updates from sql and dumps it into PS. So if the commish runs a weeks worth of trans(games transaction,s etc), u/ls it to the server. Then the client PureSimmers could just look for the next transaction number they dont have. SO instead of grabbing the whole thing, the client just needs the updates.

Theres nothing worse than someone telling you how to do your job :) I am what I resist. I made it sound really simplisitic, but who knows.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 13
RE: New Online Push! - 8/29/2006 4:36:42 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Abev

Shaun this just popped into my head but its way way out there.

How about an online sql server with a conduit inside PS that just grabs updates from sql and dumps it into PS. So if the commish runs a weeks worth of trans(games transaction,s etc), u/ls it to the server. Then the client PureSimmers could just look for the next transaction number they dont have. SO instead of grabbing the whole thing, the client just needs the updates.

Theres nothing worse than someone telling you how to do your job :) I am what I resist. I made it sound really simplisitic, but who knows.

You're right, its way simplistic, there are 25-30 tables that are updated when a game is simmed, career stats, records, PSPN stories, splits, individual pitch outcomes, box scores, player stats, game results etc. (just to name a few).

I have just switched to a new compression algorithm, so it looks like this stuff will be 5x faster with the next release, so this may be a moot point!

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 14
RE: New Online Push! - 8/29/2006 5:59:06 AM   
PadresFan104

Shaun - I'd also like to request some magic that would make the HTML web-posting a little more practical. Right now, the amount of data to upload is so much that it takes hours for the transfer. Maybe some sort of abbreviated HTML output would be good? Just a thought...

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 15
RE: New Online Push! - 8/29/2006 6:20:52 AM   
SittingDuck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deltadog
When I upload roster moves it takes about 12 seconds, so this would tend to indicate that when the manager sends updates to the FTP site the assn file does not move back. However, when the commissioner merged the roster moves to the association files, it appears that the entire file does come back. When I last logged onto the associaiton I got a message stated that a updated association file was available from the commissioner and using DSL it took 14 mintues for the file to comedown. When it finished downloading the message indicated that it was being decompressed. This took several seconds.

Did it start downloading it or were you given an option to download?

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 16
RE: New Online Push! - 8/29/2006 6:23:09 AM   
SittingDuck

Shaun, how about posting this information you are talking about with Matrix give host space for leagues?

Post #: 17
RE: New Online Push! - 8/30/2006 1:34:26 AM   
Deltadog

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

Did it start downloading it or were you given an option to download?

I don't remember.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> New Online Push! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI