Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Avalon Hill

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Avalon Hill Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Avalon Hill - 9/12/2006 9:54:59 AM   
Janet Reno

TOAW included a Avalon Hill classic called Blitzkreig 1950. Which brought back fond memories of wargaming with father until the wee hours. I was just wondering if there are any plans out there to do other AH classics? Another nice one would be AH's Stalingrad.

"You can get further with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word alone"-Al Capone
Post #: 1
RE: Avalon Hill - 9/14/2006 9:16:10 PM   
Raindem

Glad you enjoyed Blitzkrieg. I just finished updating the scenario for TOAW III.

Lots of scenarios have an AH game (or one from another company) as an inspiration but not too many could be directly converted to TOAW. Besides, a "Stalingrad" translation would be a step backwards from the many fine eastern front scenarios that already exist.

(in reply to Janet Reno)
Post #: 2
RE: Avalon Hill - 9/14/2006 10:00:13 PM   
MPHopcroft1

The very first AH wargame I ever owned, D-Day (I was given it for my birthday back in 1975) had as a feature that the Allied player could choose which of severeal different beaches on which to launch the first and second invasions of France. Each option had its advantages and disadvantages, and only actual play would tell whether the choice had been the correct one. (of course, the game was so heavily stacked in favor of the allies that the main question was how long it took, and competitive ladders were usually based on homre-and-home situations). SPI's Fortress Europa (which AH later published themselves) did something similar. I wonder if this is possible to replicate in a TOAWIII scenario.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 3
RE: Avalon Hill - 9/14/2006 10:25:44 PM   
Dr. Foo

The hard part about converting a board game is recreating the game play and feel of the original. Right now I am converting Gulf Strike scenario two to a TOAW III scenario and well, what was once a strict translation of the game is now loosely based at best.

< Message edited by Dr. Foo -- 9/14/2006 10:26:37 PM >

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 4
RE: Avalon Hill - 9/15/2006 10:50:08 AM   
Erik2

quote:

ORIGINAL: MPHopcroft

The very first AH wargame I ever owned, D-Day (I was given it for my birthday back in 1975) had as a feature that the Allied player could choose which of severeal different beaches on which to launch the first and second invasions of France. ...... I wonder if this is possible to replicate in a TOAWIII scenario.

The designer may use Theatre Options to regulate appearance of formations, where supply points are placed, governing other events depending on wich TO taken etc. This is easier to do with seaborne invasions than with paradrops in my opinion. Often there's a need for house rules to restrict players to historical options.
In my 'A bridge Too Far'-scenario I'm using on-map drop zones and predefined drop locations for para/glider supply units for this. I'm working on a Malta-invasion scenario that have predefined on-map invasion beaches and use Theatre Options to force the player to choose wich beach will get a supply point.
So its doable with a bit of work.

Post #: 5
RE: Avalon Hill - 9/17/2006 1:51:24 AM   
Janet Reno

Besides, a "Stalingrad" translation would be a step backwards from the many fine eastern front scenarios that already exist.

This may be true but as far as a fast,EASY, and fun game it was one of the best. Caused alot of pain and pleasure. Pain for me as the Germans and pleasure for my father who loved watching me bang my head on his Russian wall. How about The Russian Campaign as an alternate ta-do? My field marshall, in pic on left, named field marshall kittykickbooty, seeks some action.

< Message edited by Janet Reno -- 9/17/2006 1:57:54 AM >

"You can get further with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word alone"-Al Capone

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 6
RE: Avalon Hill - 9/17/2006 9:13:44 PM   
Raindem

quote:

The very first AH wargame I ever owned, D-Day (I was given it for my birthday back in 1975) had as a feature that the Allied player could choose which of severeal different beaches on which to launch the first and second invasions of France. Each option had its advantages and disadvantages, and only actual play would tell whether the choice had been the correct one. (of course, the game was so heavily stacked in favor of the allies that the main question was how long it took, and competitive ladders were usually based on homre-and-home situations). SPI's Fortress Europa (which AH later published themselves) did something similar. I wonder if this is possible to replicate in a TOAWIII scenario.

Quite easy to replicate. Set up a group of TOs, each corresponding to a potential target landing zone. Selected beach will determine sea transport, supply stockpile, and location of supply points.

Post #: 7
RE: Avalon Hill - 10/1/2006 3:22:29 AM   
MPHopcroft1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

quote:

Quite easy to replicate. Set up a group of TOs, each corresponding to a potential target landing zone. Selected beach will determine sea transport, supply stockpile, and location of supply points.

Is there an extant Fortress Europa-style scenario that illustrates this principle in action?

Of course, I would very much like to see an Independent Invasion of Europe game from Matrix that would take this situation into account on both sides. i.e. the German must deploy with no foreknowledge of where or even when the Allies will strike, and the Allies have just as little foreknowledge of where the German has concentrated his power. It would also test the question of whether the German can only succeed by repulsing the initial landings (and once the Allies are ashore in force it's merely a matter of playing out the endgame) or whether there is a way to maintain some sort of internal defensive front.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 8
RE: Avalon Hill - 10/1/2006 8:04:34 AM   
rhinobones

Didn't AH also have a North Africa game?  There are several excellent NA scenarios already, so another clone of the AH game might be in vain.

There are also some remakes of the v4v games in the TOAW format that are in the process of being released.  Expect that they will be popular.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 9
RE: Avalon Hill - 10/1/2006 7:57:33 PM   
Janet Reno

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Didn't AH also have a North Africa game?

Yes they did. I still have it.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
RE: Avalon Hill - 10/9/2006 10:08:17 PM   
geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Didn't AH also have a North Africa game?  There are several excellent NA scenarios already, so another clone of the AH game might be in vain.

There are also some remakes of the v4v games in the TOAW format that are in the process of being released.  Expect that they will be popular.

Regards, RhinoBones

Afrika Korps was the AH title.

BTW - I own 3 copies of that, one is still wrapped in its original plastic wrap. In case anyone is looking for one, let me know.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 11
RE: Avalon Hill - 10/10/2006 8:39:45 AM   
MPHopcroft1

AH also acquired one of the other SPI North Africa titles, Panzerarmee Afrika (which was notable for having enormous movement factors whose use put units in serious danger of outrunning their supply lines).

Fortunately they left that ungodly mess Campaign for North Africa alone.

And they did three completely different versions of Battle of the Bulge, all with the same title, and one of their last gasp releases was another Bulge game called Bitter Woods. But TOAOW is full of Ardennes '44 scenarios.

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 12
RE: Avalon Hill - 10/10/2006 9:28:52 PM   
TOCarroll

That "ungodly mess Campaign for North Africa" has been nicely translated into a very enjoyable set of scenarios included on your disk. It's caled (oddly enough) Campaign For North Afrika 40-43.

"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Avalon Hill Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI