Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/19/2006 5:47:31 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

We will be putting out a updated version of the entire Campaign Series games as one package. This update will have only a few new game features but will run stable with Windows XP and DirectX b8.0 and higher. A New development as been put together and will be developing and updating the code as we move forward with new enchancements, bug fixes and features. As always we will be posting information on our forum and getting your feedback. We are planing to release the game before the end of the year so the wait is almost over.

Our new development team (Which is not named yet) are all a group of old time Campaign Series players and Mod makers and I personally think will be a great asset to the advancement of the Campaign Series games.

The team leader will be Wyatt Kappely aka dogvich
The team's programmer lead will be Peter Fisla aka himself

The team's design and development memembers are
Jason Petho as himself
George Smithson as himself

I am sure these guys will be long to introduce themself shortly.

One last thing we wanted to announce is that we will be releasing a Vietnam version of Divided Ground this year. The game have been a labor of love for Jorge Grillo, Wyatt Kappely and Paul Adaway. This is something we are really looking forward to releasing.

< Message edited by David Heath -- 9/19/2006 5:54:34 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/19/2006 6:20:29 PM   
Peter Fisla

Hi everyone,

It's a pleasure to be on board and work on such a cool well known wargame system. I have been playing the campaign series since the beginning when the original EF came out. I'm a big fan of Eastern Front so I guess that's why I got EFI and EFII. I'm looking forward helping out with software development anyway I can.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/19/2006 6:21:26 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you, David.

My fascination with the Campaign Series spawns with the original release of East Front back in the late 90's.

I was fortunate enough to be a playtester for West Front/Sealion and Rising Sun. A linked campaign and a couple scenarios were included with the Sealion expansion. A number of scenarios were included in the East Front II expansion, Project Blitzkrieg 1 that was offered through the Blitzkrieg Wargame Club.

My passion is in scenario design, primarily for the Eastern Front.

I have remained active in the Campaign Series community offering game support and trouble shooting. You can find me as a Campaign Series Forum Moderator at Strategy Zone Online and an active member at The Blitzkrieg Wargame club.

I look forward to being part of the team and reviving the series!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 9/19/2006 11:35:06 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/19/2006 8:20:30 PM   
greg_slith

Great news! Looking forward to the Viet Nam stuff Looks like Matrix is sucking up more of my cash

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 4
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/19/2006 9:52:23 PM   
british exil

Sounds good.
I enjoyed playing WF until my harddrive died along with my "hard work" months of planning and fighting gone. All the other data (exams and studies for university) of my GF gone at the same time seemed minor to me.
I hope that I will be able to repeat the battles I once fought.
Keep us posted on the develpment.

Post #: 5
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/19/2006 11:27:46 PM   
asiaticus

Thank you, David.

I came to the Campaign Series fairly late about the time the original Rising Sun was released by Talonsoft adding in East Front and West Front as I went along. I got involved in the Blitzkreig club a few years ago.

I got interested in the Rising Sun addon that Wyatt Kappely developed to add some missing countries to the game. I learned from Wyatt and helped to add in more details on the 1937-41 Japanese, 1938-41 Russians, and the 1939-45 Mongol Peoples Republic added by Charles Hall. Chris Pearlberg and I added more details to Wyatts initial work on the Dutch too. Recently I created a patch updating the addon, cleaning up some glitches in the oob and adding new things and some new countries.

I got invloved in the last few years with the Blitzkreig club project to upgrade and addon to West Front. Previously Charles Hall had made an addon to WF for the Ethiopians for the 1935-36 Abyssinian War and 1940-41 Campaign and the Spanish Civil War, (Nationalists and Republicans) and I added on to it with the Italians for both Wars. After I joined the WF project I worked on the add on of those addons and some new countries to the oob and adding on to existing ones especially for Spain, the Balkans, Italy and Africa and Middle East.

My passion also is in scenario design, particularly for Rising Sun and West Front, and am looking forward to making them with this new edition of the Campaign Series. The war in China, Dutch East Indies and the Russo Japanese conflicts are my big interest as is the Spanish Civil War and the WWII in the Balkans and Ethiopia.

You can find me as an active member at The Blitzkrieg Wargame club.

I look forward to being part of this team and reviving the series!

George Smithson

http://www.pethocarto.com

Post #: 6
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 12:53:25 AM   
Danish Rommel

This is great news. ..

Post #: 7
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 1:40:21 AM   
jchastain

It is likely just me, but I have a few questions about the specifics of your message as it wasn't entirely clear to me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Guys

We will be putting out a updated version of the entire Campaign Series games as one package. This update will have only a few new game features but will run stable with Windows XP and DirectX b8.0 and higher.

This part is crystal clear. The initial focus will be to make the game stable on the current MSFT platform and release the full series as one package.

quote:

A New development as been put together and will be developing and updating the code as we move forward with new enchancements, bug fixes and features.

This is where I am less certain. You did say there would be "a few new game features" in the release mentioned above, but this really sounds like more of an ongoing task whereby the team will continue to take requests and enhance the game. Is that an accurate reading or are the "new enhancements" mentioned here the "few new game features" mentioned above? If this is additional development work beyond the initial release, will it be released/sold as a new product upgrade? Or will it be released as patches to the initial release?

quote:

As always we will be posting information on our forum and getting your feedback. We are planing to release the game before the end of the year so the wait is almost over.

This obviously must mean that the initial release will be available by year end which tends to suggest the above point is not additional work beyond the first release.

So, just for clarity sake, can you help us understand the intended logevity of this team with the product, the overall level of enhancements that are planned, and the release strategy regarding what will be new product releases versus ongoing maintenance and patches?

Thanks.

Post #: 8
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 9:29:06 AM   
kc_chiefs

Requested fixes:

Retreat rules. Too much retreating going on. In several games I see units retreating faster than they can move in real life with their equipment. Example is mortars which I saw retreat FIVE hexes in one game I am currently playing.

Armor is dead meat once retreated (with armor facings rule ON).

Also wanted to know about Defense Fire. It seems that a unit that is in the woods should get first fire when a unit moves adjacent to it but this is not always or even 75 percent the case. Assume I am allowing my units to fire at ALL types of units for the AI Defense Fire setting.

A unit that has 100 APs and is in the woods should get first fire. Or really any amount of points as long as it can fire.

VPs - this is another beef I had with the original series. The Sherman is worth 5 while a Panther is worth 7 yet put out an equal amount of VPs of each and fight it out and the Panther will win 75 percent of the time.

Will the VPs please be looked at? Also the playbalance on the scenarios?

For example: I am in my second playing of Dash for St. Vith from WF and the Americans have almost no chance at a Victory. Its Draw or worse for them. If the Germans had higher VPs for their units (as they usually outclass the US/UK forces) then this scenario would be balanced.

Any help I can give on VPs would be my pleasure.

Best of wishes on this project David.

Bill Peters

Post #: 9
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 3:20:00 PM   
Arkady

New (old) blood...

Thanks for info, I hope that other good news will follow...

Jason Petho: do you plan add some of your excelent scenarios into new release ?

(in reply to kc_chiefs)
Post #: 10
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 6:20:08 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkady

New (old) blood...

Thanks for info, I hope that other good news will follow...

Jason Petho: do you plan add some of your excelent scenarios into new release ?

Hello Arkady

There is potential to have some included or revised to display any new features that could arise. If not, there is hope for a number in the future.

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 11
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 6:24:55 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: kc_chiefs

Requested fixes:

Retreat rules. Too much retreating going on. In several games I see units retreating faster than they can move in real life with their equipment. Example is mortars which I saw retreat FIVE hexes in one game I am currently playing.

Armor is dead meat once retreated (with armor facings rule ON).

Also wanted to know about Defense Fire. It seems that a unit that is in the woods should get first fire when a unit moves adjacent to it but this is not always or even 75 percent the case. Assume I am allowing my units to fire at ALL types of units for the AI Defense Fire setting.

A unit that has 100 APs and is in the woods should get first fire. Or really any amount of points as long as it can fire.

VPs - this is another beef I had with the original series. The Sherman is worth 5 while a Panther is worth 7 yet put out an equal amount of VPs of each and fight it out and the Panther will win 75 percent of the time.

Will the VPs please be looked at? Also the playbalance on the scenarios?

For example: I am in my second playing of Dash for St. Vith from WF and the Americans have almost no chance at a Victory. Its Draw or worse for them. If the Germans had higher VPs for their units (as they usually outclass the US/UK forces) then this scenario would be balanced.

Any help I can give on VPs would be my pleasure.

Best of wishes on this project David.

Hello Bill

All your suggestions are certainly noted.

There are a number of scenarios that could use their victory conditions tweaked which would resolve most of the Victory Point issues.

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

(in reply to kc_chiefs)
Post #: 12
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 6:27:23 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

So, just for clarity sake, can you help us understand the intended logevity of this team with the product, the overall level of enhancements that are planned, and the release strategy regarding what will be new product releases versus ongoing maintenance and patches?

Hello jchastain

Although I cannot speak for David, I can say that I am in this for the long haul. Just as I have been providing "support" for the Campaign Series after Talonsoft died.

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 13
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 6:38:42 PM   
kc_chiefs

Thanks Jason. The concept behind the VPs for units is that for FUTURE work that we all do we would have a better baseline of VPs to use rather than trying to figure out if a Panther is going to alter the odds.

Thus instead of a Panther being 7 VPs it probably should be 9 VPs for instance. Not asking for all of the scenarios to be changed. Just the base VP rate. I think that that would take care of the balancing issues.

Bill Peters

Post #: 14
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 7:00:50 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Thanks Jason. The concept behind the VPs for units is that for FUTURE work that we all do we would have a better baseline of VPs to use rather than trying to figure out if a Panther is going to alter the odds.

Thus instead of a Panther being 7 VPs it probably should be 9 VPs for instance. Not asking for all of the scenarios to be changed. Just the base VP rate. I think that that would take care of the balancing issues.

Unfortunately, changing the VP's of the Panther, for example, would have direct effect on any scenario with Panthers in them, which in turn would require tweaking of Victory Conditions for those same scenarios.

quote:

The Sherman is worth 5 while a Panther is worth 7 yet put out an equal amount of VPs of each and fight it out and the Panther will win 75 percent of the time.

That is something to consider when designing new scenarios. Historically how many instances were there equal number of Shermans vs Panthers, let alone Shermans fighting alone without the typical support enjoyed by the Allied forces on the Western Front? Air, Tank Destroyer Battalions, etc? Further, how many cases are the armour units actually engaging in combat at full strength?

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

(in reply to kc_chiefs)
Post #: 15
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 9:24:14 PM   
Warship NWS

A quick congrats to the new dev team for the Campaign Series. However, dont just stop at Vietnam.. this engine has a wide range of directions it could take covering other modern conflicts like Korea or the Cold War regions. There are FAR too few good wargames out there covering modern land tactical combat. WW1 would be an interesting topic also.

Good luck.. and if there is anything we can help with in regards to research or combat mechanics concepts at NWS just let me know.

Take care.

< Message edited by Warship NWS -- 9/20/2006 9:26:27 PM >

Christopher Dean
Director of Operations
NWS Online Combat Gaming Store
http://www.nws-online.net

Post #: 16
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/20/2006 10:16:52 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Officially on my Christmas list now I guess.

My only beef is I have wanted a unified install that "liked" XP in the first place. I'd buy it for just that improvement.

Everything else is gravy (I don't mind gravy though :)).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Warship NWS)
Post #: 17
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/21/2006 12:00:44 AM   
Adz

Hello All!

I have played the Campaign Series since East Front first came out. I first got interested in modding when I bought Divided Ground and was immediately disappointed by the many flaws in the game. I have since become more of a modder, than a gamer!. I have completed my work on improving Divided Ground (currently on version 2.00), and participated in the development of the Vietnam Mod to Divided Ground. I have also completed work on adding Soviet and US forces to Divided Ground. In between, I have assisted George Smithson and Jason Petho on their additions to the WW2 games. For the last three years I have been mainly occupied with developing a massively comprehensive WWI mod for West Front.

I look forward to working with David and the rest of the Matrix team.

Paul Adaway

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 18
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/21/2006 6:19:31 AM   
Temple

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adz

For the last three years I have been mainly occupied with developing a massively comprehensive WWI mod for West Front.

I look forward to working with David and the rest of the Matrix team.

Paul Adaway

(in reply to Adz)
Post #: 19
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/23/2006 6:15:43 AM   
dogovich

Whoa!  So much discussion going on.  It's easy to get overwhelmed.  Sorry about being so late, but I was having a bit of trouble accessing the forums.  I'm sort of the stepfather of the CS Mod industry.  I found out how to mod the game system, wrote a paper on it, and put it on several Campaign Series sites.  From there people just took off.  I've developed a number of add-ons for Rising Sun and for Divided Ground.  I was one of the Divided Ground play testers and was really upset by what was finally put out.  So between David Adaway, myself, and a few others, we are continuing to turn it into the game system it ought to be. 

As for the Matrix addition, as I understand it, the main focus over the next few months will be to put out the stable version that runs on Windows XP and maybe fix a few bugs and/or add a few enhancements.  The development team is still kind of new, so please be patient.  With a release scheduled before Christmas, it's important to do what is feasable first and then wait until later before adding anything complex.

At any rate, let us all hope for the best.

Wyatt aka dogovich

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 20
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/24/2006 11:54:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warship NWS

A quick congrats to the new dev team for the Campaign Series. However, dont just stop at Vietnam.. this engine has a wide range of directions it could take covering other modern conflicts like Korea or the Cold War regions. There are FAR too few good wargames out there covering modern land tactical combat. WW1 would be an interesting topic also.

Good luck.. and if there is anything we can help with in regards to research or combat mechanics concepts at NWS just let me know.

Take care.

Well, funny you should say about Korea, my mod for this era is well under way, am finishing up unittxt and pic files!! I hope to have this updated by Matrix at some point, for now, as soon as it is done, I would like to release it if I can get space to do so, it's well over 200+mb!! Also, there is a WW1 version in the works by a member!!

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Warship NWS)
Post #: 21
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/25/2006 5:16:37 AM   
David Heath

Hi Mike

Just give me a call or drop me an email when you are ready.

David

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 22
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/26/2006 2:17:49 AM   
Warhorse

Hey David!

I will certainly do so, thank you! It's getting close, mostly need scenario's. I have seven disks I sent out to guys who offered, but only one is actively making any scenararios at this time. I'm hoping it's just a case of warm weather and so much else to do, that goes for me too!! I'll be in touch, thanks again.

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 23
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/26/2006 5:31:14 PM   
vadersson

Hi all,

Glad to see this game is getting some attention.  I am a recent recruit to the campaign series having bought an old copy of EF on line and pleasently finding out that it works under Win 2000.  So far in the few battles I have played I really enjoyed the game and look forward to a new full package.  I have to credit my friend Fred for getting me addicted to these games.  We used to play Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader back in High School (1980s).  It is much nicer to have  a computer resolve all our rule "debates" that generally took more time then actaully playing the game. ;)

As for my wish list for further development:
1.  All further developement should be as modules to a common starting intereface.  I.E. 1 program, many wars.
2.  I would love a WWI componet as I am not very familer with The Great War.
3.  Korea would also be interesting, as well as what if scienerios.

Thnaks,
Duncan

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 24
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 9/26/2006 5:41:23 PM   
AndyfromVA1

I'd like to see scenarios for all the major conflicts since WW2, including Korea, Middle East, hypothetical East vs West, Vietnam, India/Pakistan, Falklands, Desert Storm, Second Iraq invasion, and any others I may have left out.

Post #: 25
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 10/20/2006 2:43:31 AM   
rich12545

Well, crap.  Just when I thought I was done buying games for a while.

(in reply to AndyfromVA1)
Post #: 26
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 11/4/2006 10:31:31 PM   
HobbesACW

Hi David, I think I'm the scenario designer Mike is referring to. I hope you can sort something out with each other as he has made an amazing mod.
Basically a new CS game. I find it hard to believe how much one person has been able to do - and in his spare time (can I mention the OOB even includes scout dog teams with barking sounds - that is what really impressed me :) The attention to detail is incredible.

I look forward to playing the final game but we do need some people designing scenarios!
Cheers, Chris
P.S. If this is released via Matrix it would be great to see the ability for designers to be able to change visibility during the game. My first Korean scenario requires this but it has to be done by a manual file edit by the player. (As did my last WF CS scenario) Starshells should also be functional in all CS games.

< Message edited by hobbes -- 11/4/2006 10:55:55 PM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 27
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 11/6/2006 10:29:06 PM   
asiaticus

quote:

I'd like to see scenarios for all the major conflicts since WW2, including Korea, Middle East, hypothetical East vs West, Vietnam, India/Pakistan, Falklands, Desert Storm, Second Iraq invasion, and any others I may have left out.

If you have the CS Divided Ground disc there is now a clean up patch for the original Middle East version and a mod  for Vietnam has been made.  Also addons for some of those other conflicts is being worked on by some dedicated freelancers of the old Talonsoft game. 

http://www.freewebs.com/dgvnmods/

I beleive what you want will eventually come to the Matrix stable.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 28
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 11/14/2006 3:34:40 PM   
Temple

quote:

ORIGINAL: asiaticus

quote:

If you have the CS Divided Ground disc there is now a clean up patch for the original Middle East version and a mod for Vietnam has been made. Also addons for some of those other conflicts is being worked on by some dedicated freelancers of the old Talonsoft game.

http://www.freewebs.com/dgvnmods/

I beleive what you want will eventually come to the Matrix stable.

That link you provided asks for an id and password. Any chance you have one to share?

(in reply to asiaticus)
Post #: 29
RE: Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers - 12/7/2006 3:29:40 AM   
asiaticus

Email Jorge Grillo I would guess.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Campaign Series Update and Development Team Memebers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI