Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/7/2006 9:35:40 PM   
JReb

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218497,00.html

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — Spraying the bubbles from sparkling wine across the enormous gray bow of the USS George H.W. Bush, the Bush family on Saturday christened the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier named after the 82-year-old former president.

"I know you join me in saying to our father, President Bush, your ship has come in," the current president said during a ceremony for the last of the Nimitz-class carriers, the CVN 77.

The 10th of the Nimitz-class carriers — the largest warships in the world — features technological advancements that make it a bridge to the next generation of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.

Anyone know what the next class will be named?

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
Post #: 1
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/7/2006 11:28:05 PM   
Ron Saueracker

All I can say is the US military in its christening practices is reminding me more and more of some backass banana repuplic with a prima donna dictator adorned with all sorts of fictitious medals than a respected organization. Naming capital ships after living politicians is kinda vain to me.

Is it just me or what?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 2
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/7/2006 11:29:19 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

I bet the next class will be named much the same as the last few US CVs, after living politicians and civil servants. Just wait until Oprah Winfrey becomes President, actors and talk show hosts will have ships named after them. And I bet when she addresses the nation on the State of the Union it will be changed from a podiom to a coffee table and a couple nice chairs.

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 10/7/2006 11:33:20 PM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 3
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/7/2006 11:38:36 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

I bet the next class will be named much the same as the last few US CVs, after living politicians and civil servants. Just wait until Oprah Winfrey becomes President, actors and talk show hosts will have ships named after them. And I bet when she addresses the nation on the State of the Union it will be changed from a podiom to a coffee table and a couple nice chairs.

*wonders if he should remind Ron of the movement to amend the US Constitution just so the current California governator can run for President*

< Message edited by dtravel -- 10/7/2006 11:40:04 PM >

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Post #: 4
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/7/2006 11:46:49 PM   
Knavey

If Arnie can become president, maybe we can name the next one the USS Terminator!

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 5
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:13:54 AM   
tsimmonds

Aircraft Carriers named for great Americans

John F Kennedy - charismatic assassinated leader
Nimitz - needs no introduction to this forum
Dwight David Eisenhower - US President, and US Army General who led the Allied forces to victory over Nazi Germany
Carl Vinson - congressman who pushed through Ranger (1924), built up the USN to full strength (Vinson-Trammell), and pushed for new CV designs post-war that led to Forrestal
Theodore Roosevelt - Forger of The Big Stick
Abraham Lincoln - Preserver of the Union
George Washington - Father of his Country
John C Stennis - as Chairman of Armed Services Committee and Senate Appropriations Committee, was de facto Father of the Modern US Navy
Harry S Truman - nuked Japan, Cold Warrior, author of Truman Doctrine ( "It must be the policy of the United States to support free peoples who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures.")
Ronald Reagan - created the 600-ship Navy of the 1980s, and buried the USSR under an avalanche of military spending, thus winning the Cold War
George H. W. Bush - uh...Defender of Kuwait

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 6
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:18:37 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

George H. W. Bush - uh...Defender of Kuwait

GHW Bush : the man who helped to re-untie gemrany. Without him, simply it would not have been possible.

I just hope that the USN would ever never name a ship after his moron son. A target drone would be too much honor already.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 7
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:21:20 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

GHW Bush : the man who helped to re-untie gemrany. Without him, simply it would not have been possible.

Did I sleep through something?

Even if so, doesn't merit a carrier. Maybe there should be a German ship named after him.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 10/8/2006 12:26:07 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 8
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:28:29 AM   
wworld7

quote:

All I can say is the US military in its christening practices is reminding me more and more of some backass banana repuplic with a prima donna dictator adorned with all sorts of fictitious medals than a respected organization. Naming capital ships after living politicians is kinda vain to me.

Is it just me or what?

Ron,

Naming a ship after an ex-president is okay in my book. The USS Ronald Reagan and the USS George H.W. Bush honor those two presidents. Just as the USS Jimmy Carter (a sub) honors an arguably poor president for his service to the submarine fleet.

All three of the above had a serious impact on either promoting world peace or helping those less fortunate in making their lives better.

Note: When Cananda builds a CVN then maybe they will name it the "Molsen" but I doubt it.

Flipper

Post #: 9
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:29:34 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

Is it just me or what?

Hey, when you're the president, might as well sneak a few family members and close friends into the role of honor.

Post #: 10
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:31:26 AM   
wworld7

quote:

quote:

I believe it would be nice if CVN-78 was named either

The USS Flipper or the USS Wally

Flipper

Post #: 11
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:31:28 AM   
ctangus

quote:

quote:

Even if so, doesn't merit a carrier. Maybe there should be a German ship named after him.

Well, he was a naval aviator. And for the most part he did a good job. I can live with it.

Just don't give us a USS Dubya!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 12
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:32:14 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

Is it just me or what?

All three of the above had a serious impact on either promoting world peace or helping those less fortunate in making their lives better.

Flipper

Well you've maybe described Jimmy Carter and possibly Regan from various points of view but how does Bush fit into that picture?

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 13
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:35:46 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

quote:

quote:

Well, he was a naval aviator. And for the most part he did a good job. I can live with it.

GHWB's major contribution to Naval Aviation was to validate the Lifeguard Submarine concept.

If you want to name one after a naval aviator (and what could possibly be more appropriate), how about USS Wade McCluskey?

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 10/8/2006 12:39:29 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 14
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:40:36 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Well you've maybe described Jimmy Carter and possibly Regan from various points of view but how does Bush fit into that picture?

Do you not give him credit for anything?

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 15
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:47:23 AM   
dtravel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Do you not give him credit for anything?

Nope.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 16
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 12:52:25 AM   
tsimmonds

I see a padlock in this threads future.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 17
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 1:00:49 AM   
TOMLABEL

They had better name the next carrier in the new class of carriers the USS Enterprise since the current onE (CVN-65) is nearing the end of its service life. Having a navy without a named carrier USS Enterprise is unthinkable. Just my thoughts.

TOMLABEL

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 10/8/2006 1:02:29 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 18
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 1:06:42 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

They had better name the next carrier in the new class of carriers the USS Enterprise since the current on (CVN-65) is nearing its service life. Having a navy without a named carrier USS Enterprise is unthinkable. Just my thoughts.

Hear hear!

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 19
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 1:13:20 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

quote:

They had better name the next carrier in the new class of carriers the USS Enterprise since the current on (CVN-65) is nearing its service life. Having a navy without a named carrier USS Enterprise is unthinkable. Just my thoughts.

Hear hear!

I'll drink to that! Cheers for the Big E.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 20
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 1:13:41 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I just think ships named after people should be limited to the deceased. Otherwise it just seems too.... political or something. And whatever happened to naming destroyers and like sized warships after people and leaving the larger ships to be named in a grander fashion? Why are all the capitol ships being named after some damp skinned and limp wristed politician when names like Monitor are overlooked and smaller warships are named after the major battles in American history? I lean towards some sort of pattern or precedent for naming ships. Lately there is no rhyme or reason aside from naming ships after politicians...hardly heroes in my book.

Agreed on the Big E.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 21
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 4:16:07 AM   
ckk

Did Carter do something I missed?

Post #: 22
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 4:17:12 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

I just think ships named after people should be limited to the deceased. Otherwise it just seems too.... political or something. And whatever happened to naming destroyers and like sized warships after people and leaving the larger ships to be named in a grander fashion? Why are all the capitol ships being named after some damp skinned and limp wristed politician when names like Monitor are overlooked and smaller warships are named after the major battles in American history? I lean towards some sort of pattern or precedent for naming ships. Lately there is no rhyme or reason aside from naming ships after politicians...hardly heroes in my book.

Agreed on the Big E.

Agreed on the politicians!!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

Post #: 23
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 4:21:26 AM   
ckk

quote:

Probably But maybe not before Monday

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 24
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 4:31:25 AM   
ckk

quote:

Agreed on the Big E.

Agreed on the politicians
Agreed on the Big E Let's get back to naming our capital ships for our greatest heroes

Post #: 25
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 4:59:43 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

They had better name the next carrier in the new class of carriers the USS Enterprise since the current onE (CVN-65) is nearing the end of its service life. Having a navy without a named carrier USS Enterprise is unthinkable. Just my thoughts.

TOMLABEL

The current Enterprise I believe is scheduled to active for another twenty years or so (maybe longer). My best guess is the 4th or 5th in the new class of CVNs will be named Enterprise. It cannot be done until the current Big is retired.

Flipper

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 26
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 5:23:32 AM   
dtravel

quote:

There. Now that's taken care of.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 27
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 6:31:37 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

quote:

TOMLABEL

The current Enterprise I believe is scheduled to active for another twenty years or so (maybe longer). My best guess is the 4th or 5th in the new class of CVNs will be named Enterprise. It cannot be done until the current Big is retired.

Flipper

I'm not so sure. I read on one of the CV-65 Enterprise sites that her planned replacement will be CVX-78 in 2013. At that time she will be 52 years old.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 28
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 6:50:24 AM   
wworld7

quote:

I'm not so sure. I read on one of the CV-65 Enterprise sites that her planned replacement will be CVX-78 in 2013. At that time she will be 52 years old.

TOMLABEL

Tom,

Currently, naming of CVX-78 Enterprise is a "wish" (albeit a GOOD one). As with everything in politics WHO KNOWS what will happen. My vote is for Enterprise, but I hate to see the current put down before her time. Especially if as I expect CVX-78 is not named the same.

Flipper

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 29
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/8/2006 7:09:42 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

quote:

TOMLABEL

Tom,

Currently, naming of CVX-78 Enterprise is a "wish" (albeit a GOOD one). As with everything in politics WHO KNOWS what will happen. My vote is for Enterprise, but I hate to see the current put down before her time. Especially if as I expect CVX-78 is not named the same.

Flipper

Sounds like you think some twat will be named as opposeed to the deserving...
Bummer!

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI