Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need help!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Need help!!! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help!!! - 9/18/2007 10:35:27 AM   
grisouille_slith

I try to describe the French Unit. I have some trouble with one armor corps called "Chevalier". Anyone knows who is this "Chevalier"?

Moreover, I have also some difficulties with the militia units (Lyon, Metz, Paris, Bordeaux, and Marseille). Has somebody some information on the units form to defend these cities (I have some for Lyon, and Metz).

Thank you for your help

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 481
RE: Need help!!! - 9/18/2007 4:37:41 PM   
mldtchdog

Sorry I can't help with "Chevalier".

As for the militia look at previous posts in this thread (56-58 on page 2 and 68-78 on page 3) for guidelines. The militia are tough because the represent more in the game than just home guard troops. As a general rule if you can't find anything else look for some interesting facts about the city. Did they have an important or significant role during the war?

(in reply to grisouille_slith)
Post #: 482
RE: Need help!!! - 9/18/2007 9:36:51 PM   
michaelbaldur

and remember army reserve .... did france hold back a reserve around paris ????? the metz militz can be a free magnoiet line unit ..... the lyon unit can be some kind of alpine reserve ..... did that help ....

(in reply to mldtchdog)
Post #: 483
RE: Need help!!! - 9/20/2007 9:35:38 PM   
jesperpehrson

Good news! Grisouille has sent me a boatload of french writeups! I have just had a chance to glance them over but they seem great! Kudos to Grisouille! I will give you an example as soon as get my computer hooked up on the world wide intraweb!

- Capitan

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 484
RE: Need help!!! - 9/20/2007 11:11:17 PM   
composer99

Thinking of the Chevalier armoured corps:

Did France maintain any sort of independent armoured forces? I know the main problem with their allocation of armour was that they spread them out in the manner of the First World War.

If they did have any kind of armoured reserves, perhaps the Chevalier represents that.

~ Composer99

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 485
RE: Need help!!! - 9/21/2007 12:38:37 AM   
Jimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Did France maintain any sort of independent armoured forces? I know the main problem with their allocation of armour was that they spread them out in the manner of the First World War.

If they did have any kind of armoured reserves, perhaps the Chevalier represents that.

I think this is a historical fault which Wif has, no-one except the Germans should really start the war with Armoured Corps- the best description of what everyone else had was basically Mech- at very best using divisions of armour with other units but for the most part interspersing companies and regiments of armour with infantry and failing to get any of the mobility bonus of armoured warfare.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 486
RE: Need help!!! - 9/21/2007 2:46:02 AM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimm

quote:

I think this is a historical fault which Wif has, no-one except the Germans should really start the war with Armoured Corps- the best description of what everyone else had was basically Mech- at very best using divisions of armour with other units but for the most part interspersing companies and regiments of armour with infantry and failing to get any of the mobility bonus of armoured warfare.

In the "World in Flames: Global war" scenario no major power starts with an Armored corps except Germany.

The "Chevalier" corps is a Mar/Apr French reinforcement.

I would like to bring to your attention to "The battle of Hannut (12th-14th May) the first big tank battle of World War 2: 411 French tanks (3e DLM and 2e DLM) facing 674 German tanks (4.PzD and 3.PzD)". At the following link ~ The French Cavalry Corps in 1940. General Prioux had the actual command of a real French tank corps facing a German tank corps.

< Message edited by Mziln -- 9/21/2007 2:55:54 AM >

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 487
RE: Need help!!! - 9/22/2007 1:18:30 AM   
jesperpehrson

Just read up a bit on the Yugoslavian campaign, and it strikes me as odd why Harry chose to have Prince Paul to lead the Yugoslav forces. Should it not be changed to King Peter instead? 

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 488
RE: Need help!!! - 9/22/2007 1:58:18 AM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: capitan

Just read up a bit on the Yugoslavian campaign, and it strikes me as odd why Harry chose to have Prince Paul to lead the Yugoslav forces. Should it not be changed to King Peter instead? 

King Peter II was to young.

Prince Paul of Yugoslavia (April 27, 1893, Saint Petersburg, Russia – September 11, 1976, Paris, France) of the Serbian ,later Yugoslav Royal House of Karadjordjevic was regent of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia for King Peter II.

He took the regency on 9 October 1934 after his cousin King Alexander's assassination in Marseille and ruled the country until he decided to sign the Tripartite Pact with the World War II Axis Powers in Vienna on 25 March 1941. Because of his decision, massive demonstrations took place in Belgrade and, after this, his cousin and ward, Peter II, together with a group of pro-British officers and middle class politicians, made a coup d'état on 27 March 1941. General Dušan Simoviæ became prime minister and Yugoslavia backed out of the Axis sphere in all but name.

Prince Paul of Yugoslavia was the only son of Prince Arsen Karageorgevich (a brother of Peter I) and Princess Aurora Demidov (a granddaughter of the Finnish philanthropist Aurora Karamzin). He married Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark, a sister of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, in 1923. George VI of the United Kingdom, as Duke of York, was best man at his wedding in Belgrade.

A Knight of the Garter, Paul was educated at the University of Oxford and his closest friends (including the American-born, naturalized British politician Chips Channon) and outlook on life were said to be British.

Although King Peter II and his new Government opposed Germany, they also feared that if Hitler attacked Yugoslavia, the United Kingdom was not in any real position to help. Germany, angered by the people’s protests against the Tripartite Pact, invaded the Kingdom of Yugoslavia in April 1941. At the advice of the Government, King Peter II was asked to lead the country from abroad and ask for Allied support. The only legal body of Yugoslavia became the Royal Yugoslav Government in exile. Yugoslavia itself was dismembered and occupied by Nazi Germany and its satellites.

For the remainder of the war, Prince Paul was kept, with his family, under house arrest by the British in South Africa.

King Peter II was the eldest son of King Alexander I of Yugoslavia and Princess Maria of Romania and Hohenzollern, his godfather was King George VI, and his godmother was Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom.

On March 27, 1941 Peter, then 17, was proclaimed of age, and participated in a British-supported coup d'état opposing the Tripartite Pact.

Peter was forced to leave the country with the Yugoslav Government following the Axis invasion; initially the King went with his government to Greece, and Jerusalem, then to the British Mandate of Palestine and Cairo, Egypt. He went to England in June 1941, where he joined numerous other governments in exile from Nazi-occupied Europe. The King completed his education at Cambridge University and joined the Royal Air Force.

He married Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark, in London on 20 March 1944. While still in exile, he was deposed by Yugoslavia's Communist Constituent Assembly on November 29, 1945. However, the King never abdicated. After the war he settled in the United States. Having had a longtime health problem, he died in Denver, Colorado on 3 November 1970 after a failed liver transplant.

He is interred at the St. Sava Monastery Church at Libertyville, Illinois, the only European monarch buried on American soil. His son, Crown Prince Alexander, is heir to the Serbian throne.

< Message edited by Mziln -- 9/22/2007 2:28:00 AM >

Post #: 489
RE: Need help!!! - 9/22/2007 2:43:02 AM   
Jimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mziln

I would like to bring to your attention to "The battle of Hannut (12th-14th May) the first big tank battle of World War 2: 411 French tanks (3e DLM and 2e DLM) facing 674 German tanks (4.PzD and 3.PzD)". At the following link ~ The French Cavalry Corps in 1940. General Prioux had the actual command of a real French tank corps facing a German tank corps.

Interesting. Guderian doesn't refer to this (admittedly he was busy at Sedan on 12th May).

Does seem to be the exception which proves the rule- nonetheless a point taken as you could argue it as a valid french armoured corps-sized formation in action even if organised by commanders at the time rather than an a pre-exisiting formal armoured corps.

(edited for clarity)

< Message edited by Jimm -- 9/22/2007 1:27:55 PM >

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 490
RE: Need help!!! - 9/22/2007 8:29:03 PM   
jesperpehrson

A first example of Grisouilles work. I am really happy to have him make writeups cause they are all very good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 491
RE: Need help!!! - 9/22/2007 9:35:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

A first example of Grisouilles work. I am really happy to have him make writeups cause they are all very good.

Moi aussi.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 492
RE: Need help!!! - 9/23/2007 3:49:18 PM   
doctormm

quote:

NIT PICK ALERT -

Should be "remainder of this division was".

Post #: 493
RE: Need help!!! - 9/23/2007 7:28:53 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctormm
NIT PICK ALERT -

Should be "remainder of this division was".

Corrected and do not go easy on any languagefaults, I can take it! (I assume responsibility of all errors as I am the one who should correct em :-) )

(in reply to doctormm)
Post #: 494
RE: Need help!!! - 9/24/2007 3:18:14 AM   
Greyshaft

NIT PICK 1: You capitalize some units ("515 Tank Battalion Group", "7th Panzer division") but not others ("15th panzer corp)

NIT PICK 2: "...the 1st DCR was surprised while being refuelled by the 15th panzer corp near Dinant...". Sounds like the 15th panzer corp was giving its fuel to the French Tanks? Perhaps "...the first DCR was surprised by the 15th panzer corp while refueling near Dinant..."

NIT PICK 3: " On the 16th May the remainders of this division...". Should be singular "...remainder of this division..."

Keep plodding brother

/Greyshaft

Post #: 495
RE: Need help!!! - 9/24/2007 4:22:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

NIT PICK 1: You capitalize some units ("515 Tank Battalion Group", "7th Panzer division") but not others ("15th panzer corp)

NIT PICK 2: "...the 1st DCR was surprised while being refuelled by the 15th panzer corp near Dinant...". Sounds like the 15th panzer corp was giving its fuel to the French Tanks? Perhaps "...the first DCR was surprised by the 15th panzer corp while refueling near Dinant..."

NIT PICK 3: " On the 16th May the remainders of this division...". Should be singular "...remainder of this division..."

Keep plodding brother

Avoiding misplaced modifiers:

...the first DCR, while refueling near Dinant, was surprised by the 15th panzer corp ...

Steve

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 496
RE: Need help!!! - 9/24/2007 10:17:32 AM   
grisouille_slith

Hey Mziln

Thank you for the link. I've already described the French Cavalry corps. With this link, I can correct the description and use some information to describe others units.

Notice that in MWIF the DLM are considered as mechanized division and not armored division (In the game, the unit ID 2648 called "3DLM" is a mechanized division!). That is the reason why, I described the three DLM as mechanized division or corps.

But, I think that consider a DLM to be a mechanized division is a mistake even if DLM means "Light Mechanized Division" - they are the most powerful armored division of the French army.

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 497
RE: Need help!!! - 9/24/2007 5:40:30 PM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: grisouille

Hey Mziln

Thank you for the link. I've already described the French Cavalry corps. With this link, I can correct the description and use some information to describe others units.

Notice that in MWIF the DLM are considered as mechanized division and not armored division (In the game, the unit ID 2648 called "3DLM" is a mechanized division!). That is the reason why, I described the three DLM as mechanized division or corps.

But, I think that consider a DLM to be a mechanized division is a mistake even if DLM means "Light Mechanized Division" - they are the most powerful armored division of the French army.

The designation of the divisions as "Light Mechanized Divisions" is not surprising considering armored warfare was still in its infancy.

Division Légère Mécanique ~ DLM

The name of the unit is most often translated with "Light Mechanized Division", but a better translation, both from a linguistical as a military point of view, would be "Mechanized Light Division". In French the adjective mécanique qualifies légère, not the other way around; and this makes also sense in a tactical way: "light" here is a synonym of "mobile". While any "mechanised" division was "light", not every "light" division was "mechanised": motorised infantry divisions without tracked vehicles would also be called "Light Divisions".

Post #: 498
RE: Need help!!! - 9/24/2007 5:53:18 PM   
Froonp

quote:

"Division Légère Mécanisée", rather, isn't it ?

< Message edited by Froonp -- 9/24/2007 5:55:16 PM >

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 499
RE: Need help!!! - 9/24/2007 6:06:13 PM   
grisouille_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

"Division Légère Mécanisée", rather, isn't it ?

No, Mzlin is right it's "Division légère mécanique". The adjective "light" for "légère" means that this division are very mobile. They are very closed to the German's PanzerDivision.

For example the 1st DLM is equiped with :
- 94 H39 + 96 S35 tanks
- 48 P178 + 69R35ZT armored car.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 500
RE: Need help!!! - 10/15/2007 8:46:32 PM   
Largus_Means

Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster, and very excited about the development of MWiF.

Having been a number of years since I have played the board game version and having read these write ups just a quick question came to mind. Is there an option to upgrade the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau to the 15inch guns that were equiped on the Bismark class? It would work as a 2nd stage build and replace the counter with the upgraded unit. For some reason I thought you could do this. If not, it would be an intresting option that could be included and a very neat varient. (Not sure if you would ever try it, but....)

Cheers

Post #: 501
RE: Need help!!! - 10/15/2007 8:57:53 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Largus_Means

Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster, and very excited about the development of MWiF.

Having been a number of years since I have played the board game version and having read these write ups just a quick question came to mind. Is there an option to upgrade the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau to the 15inch guns that were equiped on the Bismark class? It would work as a 2nd stage build and replace the counter with the upgraded unit. For some reason I thought you could do this. If not, it would be an intresting option that could be included and a very neat varient. (Not sure if you would ever try it, but....)

Cheers

Funny that you are asking this, because there are an upgrade to the Schnarhorst and another for the Gneisenau on the new 2007 MiF countersheet.
There is an imbedded system in MWiF to upgrade a ship to a future version (which is a new counter).

Gneisenau before upgrade :
Surface Combat : 5
Defense : 3
AA : 2
Shore bombardment : 2
Movement : 6
Range : 3

Gneisenau after upgrade :
Surface Combat : 7
AA : 3
Shore bombardment : 3

Schnarhorst before upgrade :
Surface Combat : 6

Schnarhorst after upgrade :
Surface Combat : 8

For comparison :
Bismarck :
Defense : 2
Movement : 5
Range : 4

Tirpitz :

< Message edited by Froonp -- 10/15/2007 9:02:02 PM >

(in reply to Largus_Means)
Post #: 502
RE: Need help!!! - 10/15/2007 9:18:38 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Largus_Means

Cheers

Funny that you are asking this, because there are an upgrade to the Schnarhorst and another for the Gneisenau on the new 2007 MiF countersheet.
There is an imbedded system in MWiF to upgrade a ship to a future version (which is a new counter).

Gneisenau before upgrade :
Surface Combat : 5

Gneisenau after upgrade :

Schnarhorst before upgrade :
Surface Combat : 6

Schnarhorst after upgrade :

For comparison :
Bismarck :

Tirpitz :

Always the last to know.

Patrice, did you include these as replacement naval units when you made the modifications for the 2007 countersheets?

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 503
RE: Need help!!! - 10/15/2007 10:47:52 PM   
NeBert

Some questions to your Battleship Strenght-factors (mainly dealing with 'before upgrade'):

why does Scharnhorst have a better Surface Cambat Factor than Gneisenau?
both ships were equipped with the same heavy- and medium artillery (9x28cm; 12x15cm; 14x 10,5cm - note, the 10,5cm guns were also heavy AA)
the same question for Bismark and Tirpitz.
Both had the same heavy- and medium artillery (8x38,1cm; 12x15cm; 16x10,5cm)

+ a general Comment to Upgrades of Ships:
During the War most Ships (from little Gun-Boats to Aircraft Carriers) were upgraded!
At least the number of AA-Guns was incresed (small upgrade in terms of effort), sometimes the defence was strengthened (e.g. Torpedo-Bulges; medium upgrade), a few ships got better heavy artillery (Gneisenau started the conversion, Queen Elizabeth Class BB´s and some Japanese BB´s finished their conversion; large upgrade-at least one year and a lot of resources).
Other than Aircraft ships were a long term invest and they regulary needed such upgrades to keep their relative strength over the years.

So my question - is there such an upgrade-possibility included in MWIF? Maybe some months on the production spiral to improve the AA-Faktor by 1?

Regards
Robert

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 504
RE: Need help!!! - 10/15/2007 10:56:31 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Always the last to know.

Patrice, did you include these as replacement naval units when you made the modifications for the 2007 countersheets?

I think I did.

In Standard Units NAV.CSV :
Gneisenau = Unit 4768
Schnarhorst = Unit 4771

Replacement Gneisenau = Unit 5105
Replacement Schnarhorst = Unit 5106

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 505
RE: Need help!!! - 10/15/2007 11:00:38 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeBert

Some questions to your Battleship Strenght-factors (mainly dealing with 'before upgrade'):

why does Scharnhorst have a better Surface Cambat Factor than Gneisenau?
both ships were equipped with the same heavy- and medium artillery (9x28cm; 12x15cm; 14x 10,5cm - note, the 10,5cm guns were also heavy AA)
the same question for Bismark and Tirpitz.
Both had the same heavy- and medium artillery (8x38,1cm; 12x15cm; 16x10,5cm)

I was sure someone would ask.
I think that this is because the values are calculated using a complicated formula, and that the result is a figure between 5 and 6. So the designer put a rounded down value to one of them and a rounded up value to the other. So that their sum is accurate.

quote:

+ a general Comment to Upgrades of Ships:
During the War most Ships (from little Gun-Boats to Aircraft Carriers) were upgraded!
At least the number of AA-Guns was incresed (small upgrade in terms of effort), sometimes the defence was strengthened (e.g. Torpedo-Bulges; medium upgrade), a few ships got better heavy artillery (Gneisenau started the conversion, Queen Elizabeth Class BB´s and some Japanese BB´s finished their conversion; large upgrade-at least one year and a lot of resources).
Other than Aircraft ships were a long term invest and they regulary needed such upgrades to keep their relative strength over the years.

So my question - is there such an upgrade-possibility included in MWIF? Maybe some months on the production spiral to improve the AA-Faktor by 1?

This does not exist per see for the moment, but why not in a future expansion !
I'd suggest a repair cycle for upgrading, as a lot of ships begin the game in the repair pool, and were in reality refitted with better equipments and armaments. Saratoga for instance.

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 506
RE: Need help!!! - 10/15/2007 11:23:37 PM   
composer99

"Intangible" factors such as quality of the officer corps, degree of crew training, and overall officer/crew competency might also account for differing combat factors in ships that have identical armanent.

Edit: For this one would need to examine the overall record of each ship's wartime service and see if their differing performances could be explained by such factors.

< Message edited by composer99 -- 10/15/2007 11:28:39 PM >

~ Composer99

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 507
RE: Need help!!! - 10/16/2007 12:24:41 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Always the last to know.

I think I did.

In Standard Units NAV.CSV :
Gneisenau = Unit 4768
Schnarhorst = Unit 4771

Replacement Gneisenau = Unit 5105
Replacement Schnarhorst = Unit 5106

Thanks.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 508
RE: Need help!!! - 10/16/2007 1:31:06 AM   
Jimm

quote:

"Intangible" factors such as quality of the officer corps, degree of crew training, and overall officer/crew competency might also account for differing combat factors in ships that have identical armanent.

Edit: For this one would need to examine the overall record of each ship's wartime service and see if their differing performances could be explained by such factors.

A practical example of this subject in action were the old US BBs which just about survived Pearl Harbour with heavy damage- West Virginia springs to mind- she was pretty much unrecognisable from her pre war appearance- and presumably a much more capable vessel as a result.

Radar, fire control and increased AA were probably the most significant "upgrades"- although the former two are not really included in the Attack factor calcs, I believe.

I would however have an aesthetic & technical concern that the effect of changing the guns from 11" to 15" might have been slightly over-egged in the example of Scharnhorst & Gneisnau. The lighter guns were originally retained (as I understand it) to enable this class to carry a heavier armour belt. Increasing the size of the guns would presumably have to have been done at the expense of something else- perhaps speed, which is also a factor in calculating the attack factors. For Scharnhorst class this would be important as speed was one of their notable positive traits. Stability might have been another issue- the Scharnhorsts were fairly light battleships.

I guess it just grates a little to have a Scharnhorst with bigger numbers than Bismarck.

I think the technical aspects of how the calcs are worked makes it difficult to have a generic upgrade within the game.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 509
RE: Need help!!! - 10/16/2007 9:06:01 AM   
Arron69

Hey Patrice.
Just out of interest. How mush does this upgrade cost, and how long does it take on the circle?

Andi.

The winner of a battle may not be the one who wins the War.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Need help!!! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI