Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 8:14:43 AM   
Greywolf

Please, could you post the comment on the "Chevalier" French ARM ? I am always on for a good laugh... And I really wonder how you will justify the unit name :)

A bit harder than the Mme Chang, chinese CV...

Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1021
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 8:16:44 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greywolf

Please, could you post the comment on the "Chevalier" French ARM ? I am always on for a good laugh... And I really wonder how you will justify the unit name :)

A bit harder than the Mme Chang, chinese CV...

Why exactly should I do this?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 1022
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 8:29:20 AM   
Maesphil74

Steve,
I could try the Ethiopia write up.  But I have some questions first...
Should I do a write up for all units (according to an excel file I found on Patrice his site, this should be 1 HQ INF, 3 INF units and 2 MIL units)? Is that the correct number of units?
How long should 1 write-up be?
What reference material is allowed/necessary? (is stuff from a wiki enough or do you need references from 'serious' historical material?)
If the Ethiopia units work out for me and you are happy with them; I could do some other minors.

Phil

Post #: 1023
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 9:21:39 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fleming

Steve,
I could try the Ethiopia write up.  But I have some questions first...
Should I do a write up for all units (according to an excel file I found on Patrice his site, this should be 1 HQ INF, 3 INF units and 2 MIL units)? Is that the correct number of units?
How long should 1 write-up be?
What reference material is allowed/necessary? (is stuff from a wiki enough or do you need references from 'serious' historical material?)
If the Ethiopia units work out for me and you are happy with them; I could do some other minors.

Great!. Thanks.

Send me an email (SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net) and I'll send you back a "getting started" for land unit writeups. That covers all the questions you posed here.

The HQ is already done - the other Ethiopian units aren't. [Graham Dodge did long writeups for all the HQs in the game.]

Steve

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1024
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 9:30:46 AM   
Maesphil74

I'll send you an email when I get home.
I have started reading some reference material
Seems the Belgians have played a rather important role in the training of the Ethiopian forces; which is a nice bonus trying this write-up as I'm a Belgian myself!

expect an email later today!!

Phil

Post #: 1025
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/16/2009 8:54:47 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are some writeups from new volunteers for working on the land units.

These two on Persia are from Augusti.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1026
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/16/2009 8:57:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Second and last in the series.

These writeups on Ethiopian units are from Phil. [Because Ethiopia was conquered, they do not have a force pool, per se. I had to use the Pools form to access conquered units.]

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1027
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/17/2009 10:58:28 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Joel has done the writeups for the US Marines. Here is one example [I have asked him to do more writeups, and after you read this one, I think you will agree.]

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1028
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 4:45:35 AM   
Zorachus99

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 1029
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 8:04:30 AM   
Maesphil74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

These writeups on Ethiopian units are from Phil. [Because Ethiopia was conquered, they do not have a force pool, per se. I had to use the Pools form to access conquered units.]

Guys,
I had a lot of fun reading about these units and doing the writeup.
I'll do some more!

But I have 1 question. I never played WIF (but have read the rules and I'm learning) so I'm a bit confused about doing a writeup for a "TERR unit".
If I understand correctly TERR units are controlled by the major power controlling the TERR units home country. (according to rule 22.4.5).
The problem now is: the 2 ethiopian TERR units could be controlled by the Italian player or an allied player depending on the status (liberated/occupied) of the Ethiopian home country. What is then expected from the writeups?
Aren't these units fictious (representing the inherent manpower of the country that can be used for reserve mobilization)?

All feedback/clarifications welcome!

PS: all feedback (positive/negative) on the 3 Ehtiopians I allready did is welcome as well

Phil

Post #: 1030
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 8:21:43 AM   
paulderynck

I think they represent the local levies from colonies that could be fielded by any major power that controlled them. Most of them are African and would be the classic native conscripts commanded by white officers. The difference being which European country the white officers come from.

This is not universal though. FREX the Australian Territorials. In games where Japan conquers Australia and then builds them, they would be Fifth Columnists I guess, but having Australians fighting for the Japanese and fielding that kind of comparative combat power is really splashing in the deep end of fantasy.

Paul

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1031
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 8:49:14 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Guys,
I had a lot of fun reading about these units and doing the writeup.
I'll do some more!

But I have 1 question. I never played WIF (but have read the rules and I'm learning) so I'm a bit confused about doing a writeup for a "TERR unit".
If I understand correctly TERR units are controlled by the major power controlling the TERR units home country. (according to rule 22.4.5).
The problem now is: the 2 ethiopian TERR units could be controlled by the Italian player or an allied player depending on the status (liberated/occupied) of the Ethiopian home country. What is then expected from the writeups?
Aren't these units fictious (representing the inherent manpower of the country that can be used for reserve mobilization)?

All feedback/clarifications welcome!

PS: all feedback (positive/negative) on the 3 Ehtiopians I allready did is welcome as well

A lot of the territorial units have already been done. You might read some of them for examples of how they were handled by other writers.

Steve

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1032
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 11:12:08 AM   
grisouille_slith

Capitan, I sent you my last description of land units the 30 March. Did you received them?

I have no news from you

Post #: 1033
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 1:24:53 PM   
Caquineur

Many thanks to all the authors of these unit descriptions !
I really like them.

There's just something that I think should be changed, and I hope not being misunderstood here, as I'm French and not used to writing in English, in the unit descriptions : for example in the second paragraph describing Tehran's militia, instead of "England", IMO it would be better to say "United Kingdom" - if I'm not mistaken, the United Kingdom is a country, and England is one of her components. I think it would be more correct towards the Welsh, the people of Northern Ireland and the Scots, who are citizens of the UK, not citizens of England.

And, on the same subject, if some unit descriptions mention "Russia" instead of "the USSR", maybe a more precise wording would be better there as well.

And finally, there may be cases where "the Commonwealth" should be used instead of the United Kingdom...

Just my two pence

Alain

Post #: 1034
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 1:32:58 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I think they represent the local levies from colonies that could be fielded by any major power that controlled them. Most of them are African and would be the classic native conscripts commanded by white officers. The difference being which European country the white officers come from.

This is not universal though. FREX the Australian Territorials. In games where Japan conquers Australia and then builds them, they would be Fifth Columnists I guess, but having Australians fighting for the Japanese and fielding that kind of comparative combat power is really splashing in the deep end of fantasy.

Not true! Heaps of blokes would join up and once armed and given ammunition they would promptly shoot their Japanese officers and head for the bush to join the resistance

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1035
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 6:16:46 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

I really like them.

There's just something that I think should be changed, and I hope not being misunderstood here, as I'm French and not used to writing in English, in the unit descriptions : for example in the second paragraph describing Tehran's militia, instead of "England", IMO it would be better to say "United Kingdom" - if I'm not mistaken, the United Kingdom is a country, and England is one of her components. I think it would be more correct towards the Welsh, the people of Northern Ireland and the Scots, who are citizens of the UK, not citizens of England.

And, on the same subject, if some unit descriptions mention "Russia" instead of "the USSR", maybe a more precise wording would be better there as well.

And finally, there may be cases where "the Commonwealth" should be used instead of the United Kingdom...

Just my two pence

Alain

Thanks. This is easy to do with a text editor finding all the instances so they can be judged one byb one.

Steve

(in reply to Caquineur)
Post #: 1036
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 9:17:38 PM   
warspite1

[/quote] Warspite 1

Fleming - this was my first stab at the Canadian Territorial (needs revising when the naval units are done but - this is the general idea).

.T Canadian Territorial
.P This unit is not a unit that existed in WWII. Territorial units represent, along with Militia units, additional forces that could/were available to a country in WWII in addition to her combat Corps and Divisional units.
.P Out of a population of approximately 11.5 million, 1.1 million Canadians served in the armed forces in the Second World War and of these circa 750,000 made up the Army. Those enlisting for service represented about 40% of the male population between the ages of 18 and 45.
.P However, taken as a percentage of the population, Canada's total military personnel represents a proportionately smaller mobilisation than that which occurred in Great Britain, the Dominion of Australia, or the Dominion of New Zealand. Approximately half of Canada's army and three-quarters of its air-force personnel never left the country, compared to the overseas deployment of approximately three-quarters of the forces of Australia, New Zealand, and the United States.
.P The reason for such a large number never leaving Canada was that although the Canadian government introduced conscription, it promised only volunteers would go overseas. This policy was only changed towards the end of the war (by referendum) when it was clear that combat losses in Italy and France could not be replaced by volunteers alone. It was only from November 1944 that non-volunteers were sent.
.P However the above is not to denigrate the role of the oldest Dominion in the British Commonwealth.
.P On 25 August 1939, units of the Canadian Militia were called out to defend vital locations throughout Canada due to the developing crisis in Europe. Following the German invasion of Poland on 1st September 1939, Canada mobilised the Canadian Active Service Force, a corps of two divisions. She formally declared war on the 10th September 1939.
.P Between 1st September and 10th September, Canada used its neutral status to purchase $20 million worth of arms from the then neutral United States before entering the war alongside the mother country.
.P In addition to her military contribution, the war production from Canadian industry was vital. Canada employed over 1m workers in essential war industries. When Britain lost the bulk of her fighting vehicles on the beaches of Dunkirk, it was to Canada that Britain turned.
.P In total Canadian industry produced over 800,000 military transport vehicles, 50,000 tanks, 40,000 field, naval, and anti-aircraft guns, and 1,700,000 small arms.
.P Total value of war production was $10bn or $100bn today.

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1037
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/18/2009 9:38:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

I really like them.

Just my two pence

Alain
Warspite 1

This can be quite tricky in practice! What I have tried (and sometimes no doubt failed!) to do is use the appropriate terms for each situation. For example, generally when I write about the "Soviet Union" but when writing about the Arctic convoys, its "Russian convoys" only because its the most common way of describing them in history books.

When describing the British Empire/Commonwealth in an Army context then I generally use British Army - even where troops used for a particular attack may be non-British e.g. some East African engagements. This keeps things simple and at then of the day the troops were under British command. Australian troops in the Pacific would be Australian Army while Australian and Indian Units in Malaya would be British Army. Individual units are referred to by their home country within the text e.g. Austrlalian 6th Division attacked blah blah

For naval units I use Royal Navy unless the operation/action was specifically an operation by another Dominion. However, I make clear where a ship comes from in the text. E.g. in the Mediterranean I may write about the Royal Navy cruiser squadron consisting of Liverpool, Gloucester, HMAS Hobart etc.

There is little reason to use England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. British or more accurately UK should be used.
Again, there can be occasions where the individual country is required - but this is rare.

Clear as mud no doubt

(in reply to Caquineur)
Post #: 1038
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/19/2009 9:25:19 AM   
Maesphil74

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Fleming - this was my first stab at the Canadian Territorial (needs revising when the naval units are done but - this is the general idea).

Thanks for that warspite.
I finished the Ethiopian TERR along those lines 'not an actual unit' 'local recruiting of Italians'.

cheers,

Phil

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1039
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/19/2009 6:07:17 PM   
obermeister

Just wanted to say you all are doing a fantastic job with these unit writeups.  Are you really doing this kind of work for all 5000 or so units in the game?  Even the kind of detail being given to minor countries, wow!

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1040
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/19/2009 6:36:00 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: obermeister

Just wanted to say you all are doing a fantastic job with these unit writeups.  Are you really doing this kind of work for all 5000 or so units in the game?  Even the kind of detail being given to minor countries, wow!

All the 1000+ air units have been done.

~80% of the 1300+ naval units (those not done are mostly unnamed/generic)

~75% of the 1000+ land units.

I have done none of these writeups. They were all done by volunteers from this forum.

Steve

(in reply to obermeister)
Post #: 1041
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/24/2009 2:19:47 PM   
Maesphil74

Steve,

I said I would have the Czechs done this weekend.
Unfortunately due to a 2 month old baby and people calling in sick at work I had to work some nights and I'm working this weekend as well...

I'll have them asap!

Cheers,

Phil

Post #: 1042
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/24/2009 7:03:49 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Steve,

I said I would have the Czechs done this weekend.
Unfortunately due to a 2 month old baby and people calling in sick at work I had to work some nights and I'm working this weekend as well...

I'll have them asap!

Cheers,

Whatever works best for you.

Steve

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1043
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 6/18/2009 6:24:41 PM   
warspite1

INFO REQUEST

There are three counters for the SHINANO and the KARYU with Id`s as follows:

SHINANO - 4339, 4371 and 5107
KARYU - 4333, 4364 and 5108

5107 and 5108 are the Mech in Flames counters but of the others, which is for the battleships and which is for the carriers?

Many thanks

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1044
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 6/18/2009 6:37:19 PM   
micheljq

On the write up of the 1st MAR DIV, 6th paragraph : "But when when Japan", a little typo.  

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1045
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 6/18/2009 7:16:35 PM   
Mike Parker

quote:

INFO REQUEST

5107 and 5108 are the Mech in Flames counters but of the others, which is for the battleships and which is for the carriers?

Many thanks

Not trying to be cute or anything.. but couldn't you look for the extra number that tells you the CVP class and tell which is the BB version and which the CV?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1046
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 6/18/2009 7:19:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

quote:

INFO REQUEST

Many thanks

Not trying to be cute or anything.. but couldn't you look for the extra number that tells you the CVP class and tell which is the BB version and which the CV?

Warspite 1

If you are being cute then its way to clever for me. I don`t understand what that means.

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 1047
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 6/18/2009 7:27:39 PM   
brian brian

the Shinano and Karyu were originally designed as BBs by the Japanese and then completed as CVs. (much like the first CVs built in the 20s by many powers were converted from battle cruiser hulls)

in WiF, a player can complete the ships as battleships, or after their first cycle of construction, can finish them as carriers. To make it a bit more confusing, with the latest set of counters one can complete them as 'super-carriers' with a higher plane capacity at a higher cost, or a smaller plane capacity at a lower cost. So in the final counter-mix, there are three different counters for each ship. However only one of the three can ever appear on the map.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1048
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 6/18/2009 7:30:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

the Shinano and Karyu were originally designed as BBs by the Japanese and then completed as CVs. (much like the first CVs built in the 20s by many powers were converted from battle cruiser hulls)

in WiF, a player can complete the ships as battleships, or after their first cycle of construction, can finish them as carriers. To make it a bit more confusing, with the latest set of counters one can complete them as 'super-carriers' with a higher plane capacity at a higher cost, or a smaller plane capacity at a lower cost. So in the final counter-mix, there are three different counters for each ship. However only one of the three can ever appear on the map.

Warspite 1

Yes - but what I need to know is which Unit ID refers to the BB and which to the CV.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 1049
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 6/18/2009 7:45:12 PM   
brian brian

oh I got lost in the quote tree there, I think you both already understand what I typed

if you know all of the counter #s for the other BBs and CVs you could probably deduce which is which? i.e. they should generally run sequentially by class like the actual cardboard counter sheets do?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI