Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mother Russia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Mother Russia Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 11:20:46 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

And east of that it links up to Murmansk and Archangel.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 31
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 11:25:38 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

4th and last in series. A partial overview.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 32
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 9:47:48 PM   
trees trees

way back on the very first one the weather line around the Caspian still seems to disappear. I don't think it is an issue of line thickness, I think the problem is that it blends in too well with the map, which is so ... pastel? Maybe if it were just a brighter tint it would be much easier to see.

Post #: 33
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 10:03:42 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: trees trees

way back on the very first one the weather line around the Caspian still seems to disappear. I don't think it is an issue of line thickness, I think the problem is that it blends in too well with the map, which is so ... pastel? Maybe if it were just a brighter tint it would be much easier to see.

Yes. This is on my list of things to change. I need to choose 2 colors, for weather zone boundaries and for sea area boundaries that coincide with weather zone boundaries. It is the later that are hard to see.

Steve

(in reply to trees trees)
Post #: 34
RE: Mother Russia - 11/8/2006 4:43:54 PM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

When the Coral Sea cyclones have enough power to punch through the Great Dividing Range, or tropical lows from the Timor or Arafura Seas sweep across Central Australia, they dump huge amounts of water in the vast, usually arid area of far western Queensland.

Gee, wouldn't one of those be nice about now.

Preferably dumping some water in Western NSW as well as this side of the dividing range.

--
Del

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 35
RE: Mother Russia - 11/8/2006 9:02:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I'll use this thread for the rest of Asia - rather than start yet one more new thread.

Here are the rivers Euphrates and Tigris. It's nice to see them complete - I have been looking at messed up versions for a long time (they run down the eastern border of the European map).

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 36
RE: Mother Russia - 11/8/2006 9:03:27 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The Persian Gulf. Note that the Strait of Hormuz is not a straits hexside. Bahrain is.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 37
RE: Mother Russia - 11/8/2006 9:05:09 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

3rd and last in series. An overview of the new coastal and river/lake bitmaps - the MidEast.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 38
RE: Mother Russia - 11/13/2006 5:24:54 PM   
Fishbed

Just read about "Sinkiang" on the map...
Are the names all using the old retranscript? You don't plan to replace them with Pinyin?

thanks

Post #: 39
RE: Mother Russia - 11/13/2006 7:06:09 PM   
wosung

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

Just read about "Sinkiang" on the map...
Are the names all using the old retranscript? You don't plan to replace them with Pinyin?

thanks

I was contemplating this too. Generally playing around with the Chinese transcription issues will get one 二百五.

Transcription questions were debated before
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1140817&mpage=2&key=
See: posts 40 and 56.

WIF uses variants of old Wade-Giles, which was most common in WW2, but isn't consistent. We tried to make it more uniform. There seemed to be consensus to stick to Wade-Giles just for historical flavor.

That implies absolutely no bias in questions about political-
linguistical hegemonia across the Taiwan-street. In fact, I think, most Wiffers don't care for transcription. And I honestly hope that the use of Wade-Giles won't result in any problems for saling WIF to China.

Additionally, perhaps it was thought, that there already were lots of China map changes, so nobody wanted to add more "revolutions".

Personally I don't mind if it's Pinyin or Wade-Giles. And I'm open to both. I just tried to make transcription more consistent. Any corrections are welcome. Feel free, to do so! But, because of historical reasons, consistency is hard to achieve:

Canton is more commonly known then Guangzhou, same is with Peking (Beijing), Chiang Kai-shek (Jiang Jieshi), Mao Zedong (Mao Tse-tung) and so on.

So sometimes Wade-Giles or other old transcriptions are still more popular, sometimes Pinyin is. And there are differences between US and European use of Chinese transcriptions as well.

Bottom-line:

1. There was a votum for (at least a level of) consistency.
2. Decision was just about historical flavor.
3. I think Patrice will get a nervous breakdown and will eat all his WIF-cardboard counters, if he has to change the Chinese transcription again...

Regards

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 40
RE: Mother Russia - 11/13/2006 7:19:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

In most cases the players will be able to change the names themselves if they so desire. The data file is in comma separated values format (CSV) and can be edited using any spreadsheeet or database package.

The exception is that some city/port names are used internally in the program. This is true for all cities referred to in the scenario setups (e.g., Sian, Honolulu).

Steve

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 41
RE: Mother Russia - 11/14/2006 12:28:17 PM   
Fishbed

quote:

WIF uses variants of old Wade-Giles, which was most common in WW2, but isn't consistent. We tried to make it more uniform. There seemed to be consensus to stick to Wade-Giles just for historical flavor.

No problem, I understand perfectly the idea of using the Wade-Giles for a better "vintage" look and flavour 

Thanks to you two for your answers, this game is gonna rock

Post #: 42
RE: Mother Russia - 11/18/2006 6:01:23 AM   
doctormm

Steve -

You mentioned that the program uses some port/city names internally.  Will there be any way for someone who is editing the name file to know that a city name is "reserved"?  Why not just use a unique key internally, instead of the editable name?

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 43
RE: Mother Russia - 11/18/2006 12:09:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctormm

Steve -

You mentioned that the program uses some port/city names internally.  Will there be any way for someone who is editing the name file to know that a city name is "reserved"?  Why not just use a unique key internally, instead of the editable name?

The reserved names comes from the fact I am working with the code I inherited from CWIF. What you are asking for falls into the category of making a WIF game design kit, which is not part of my project task list. Where things fall out with little or no additional effort on my part, I will make them available to the players to modify. I have no philosophical difficulty with that. But I do not really need an expanded scope of work.

Steve

(in reply to doctormm)
Post #: 44
RE: Mother Russia - 11/18/2006 1:57:52 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

In most cases the players will be able to change the names themselves if they so desire. The data file is in comma separated values format (CSV) and can be edited using any spreadsheeet or database package.

The exception is that some city/port names are used internally in the program. This is true for all cities referred to in the scenario setups (e.g., Sian, Honolulu).

Well, for having had an experience in editing MWiF's CSV files, I can say that when you are modifying a city name that the program don't like, you know it when you start the game again after having finished editing the file. The game will tell you that "old name" is not found.

So you can go back to your changes and put back the original name.

Post #: 45
RE: Mother Russia - 11/18/2006 2:02:15 PM   
amwild

quote:

quote:

Steve -

The reserved names comes from the fact I am working with the code I inherited from CWIF. What you are asking for falls into the category of making a WIF game design kit, which is not part of my project task list. Where things fall out with little or no additional effort on my part, I will make them available to the players to modify. I have no philosophical difficulty with that. But I do not really need an expanded scope of work.

As a database programmer, I prefer to use numeric keys to refer to records, since numeric-data keys take less memory, are much faster for a PC to handle, and are not typically broken by changing related text in the record, though I do understand that text-data keys are more informative when writing code.

Perhaps, if you didn't want to change your key data from text to numeric, you could keep your text-datatype key and add a separate city/port name field that is identical to the key field (at least to start with), but changing the city/port name wouldn't break the key reference.

I hope I don't sound too much like I'm trying to tell you how to do your job...

Post #: 46
RE: Mother Russia - 11/18/2006 7:12:33 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: amwild
quote:

quote:

Steve -

As a database programmer, I prefer to use numeric keys to refer to records, since numeric-data keys take less memory, are much faster for a PC to handle, and are not typically broken by changing related text in the record, though I do understand that text-data keys are more informative when writing code.

Perhaps, if you didn't want to change your key data from text to numeric, you could keep your text-datatype key and add a separate city/port name field that is identical to the key field (at least to start with), but changing the city/port name wouldn't break the key reference.

I hope I don't sound too much like I'm trying to tell you how to do your job...

There are several solutions. The easiest would be to leave the code as is and add a supplemental translations file that the players could edit. To start with, all the translations would be Berlin = Berlin, London = London, and so on. if the player wanted to change a reserved name, then he would have to change the second name in this file - besides changing the one in the map labels file.

Like this one, many of the tasks for transforming MWIF into a WIF design kit would be fairly simple, I just have other fish to fry.

Steve

(in reply to amwild)
Post #: 47
RE: Mother Russia - 12/13/2006 4:02:48 AM   
SemperAugustus

Shouldn't Perm be Molotov in this time period? Its a bit tricky since the name was switched to Molotov in 1940.

Post #: 48
RE: Mother Russia - 12/13/2006 4:17:24 PM   
Earl Uhtred

Consider renaming 'Mecca' Jiddah.

(in reply to SemperAugustus)
Post #: 49
RE: Mother Russia - 12/14/2006 12:25:12 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Wow Baku is two seperate oil fields now. Looks like Ill have more fun taking them both!!!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

Post #: 50
RE: Mother Russia - 12/14/2006 12:51:31 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Earl Uhtred

Consider renaming 'Mecca' Jiddah.

I for one prefer to leave it as it is, because it is this way on the WiF FE maps.
I saw that Mecca is not a port in reality, and that Jiddah seems to be the port that the port symbol in the hex represent, but I think that Mecca is far much famous to prevail on the map.

(in reply to Earl Uhtred)
Post #: 51
RE: Mother Russia - 12/14/2006 12:54:03 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: SemperAugustus

Shouldn't Perm be Molotov in this time period? Its a bit tricky since the name was switched to Molotov in 1940.

Well, I was about to make the label being "Perm (Molotov)", and then I saw how convoluted the hex already was, with the river around it also, and I dropped the idea.

Post #: 52
RE: Mother Russia - 12/15/2006 10:15:00 AM   
SemperAugustus

Perhaps besides the point but...

Should the Hejaz railway really extend all the way to Medina? The route within Saudi Arabia has been out of use since the 1920s if not 1910s, it wasn't functional in WW2

The southern-most working portion of the railroad should be to the Gulf of Aqaba within the Transjordanian borders.

< Message edited by SemperAugustus -- 12/15/2006 10:28:15 AM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 53
RE: Mother Russia - 12/15/2006 10:16:50 AM   
SemperAugustus

Rub al'Khali by the way means Empty Quarter not Arabian Desert

Post #: 54
RE: Mother Russia - 12/17/2006 3:21:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

This set of screen shots shows the rest of Russia - well almost all of the rest. There is still some more hexes yet farther north.

From Balkal to Vladivostok by rail. You can take the northern (TranSiberian) or southern (TransMachurian) route. Chita is important.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 55
RE: Mother Russia - 12/17/2006 3:22:33 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

A closer view of the TransManchurian route.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 56
RE: Mother Russia - 12/17/2006 3:23:37 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The NW sector of the Okhotsk Sea.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 57
RE: Mother Russia - 12/17/2006 3:24:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The island chain from northern Japan to Kamchatka (Risk anyone?).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 58
RE: Mother Russia - 12/17/2006 3:25:52 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The Bering Strait.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 59
RE: Mother Russia - 12/17/2006 3:27:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The Aleutian Island Chain.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Mother Russia Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI