Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Longest Game Ever?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Longest Game Ever? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Longest Game Ever? - 11/13/2006 10:57:33 PM   
pap1723

So I am playing as Germany and Japan in the 1939 Scenario. I turned off Auto Victory and the End Date. I like to play until there is a clear cut winner.

As the Germans I was able to take out Russia by 1946. I then spent most of 1947/1948 trying to clean up the partisan messes in the conquered Russian territories and moving units to Western Germany and France to defend against an attack and to set up an attack.

Japan was taken out by 1947 as my production was all but gone because the Wallies did a good job of cutting off my transports with their highly rated Sub force.

So here it is in 1956. I control all of Europe except for Sweden, Norway and the Isles. The Med is mine as I took control of Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal sometime in 1949.

My research in almost every category is better than the Wallies, but I cannot come close to their ability to produce new units. They have 145 units in England and ships moving all throughout the Atlantic. My heavy bombers are up to 10 land attack and good ship attack.

I have about 90 units that could be ready to go into England, but I know that will not be close to enough to take them out and then I will be in deep trouble.

Any ideas on how to break the stalemate? Should I try the crazy idea of building a ton of Transports to sneak attack into the US bypassing the Fortress that is England?

Is there any way to raise my manpower pool? That is the only thing that is holding me back from completely destroying everything that is the Wallies.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/13/2006 11:50:07 PM   
GKar

Long games can be fun! I had a very long one in WaW playing as Germany, I conquered the last WAllies' province sometime in the sixties.

Back then I managed to conquer the British Isles relatively soon after Barbarossa though, and then massive airpower helped to bring down Allied production. I even managed to get the US down to 0 production (permanent) with lots of bombing runs from Cuba. The AI was eager to repair any damage taken and made bad choices from time to time (e.g. repairing rail with the last supplies available).

I agree that you should try to outmaneuver the AI, combined with bringing down their production level. Prepare not to see much of an impact at first, but it will help a lot in the long run. It could be a good choice to attack their transport network with planes and ships wherever possible to make them invest their manpower in new ships and to cut them off from resources every now and then.

EDIT: You cannot influence your manpower growth. You could lower theirs with nuclear attacks though.

< Message edited by GKar -- 11/13/2006 11:54:46 PM >

(in reply to pap1723)
Post #: 2
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/14/2006 12:17:10 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Got one now (total war) its now the fall of 61. germany gone and going at the japs with the russians moving everything towards western europe.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 3
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/14/2006 3:11:50 AM   
templeton

Thoughts for a future expansion... technologies appropriate to the 1960's!!!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 4
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/15/2006 12:53:02 AM   
christian brown

quote:

Origianltechnologies appropriate to the 1960's!!!

Helos!

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 5
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/15/2006 2:09:19 AM   
templeton

quote:

ORIGINAL: GKar

I even managed to get the US down to 0 production (permanent) with lots of bombing runs from Cuba.

Nice take on the Cuban Missile Crisis!!!

Given that the game can go the length and reach the sixties... that raises questions about weapons from the sixties that are missing in this game. The V2 may have been more effective with atomic warheads than TNT for example... bigger range jet planes.

Perhaps the coolest would be Airmobile units... hard to imagine SS or Luftwaffe troops coming down to land in choppers.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 6
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/15/2006 3:59:26 PM   
ravinhood

Why aren't you guy using "atomic bombs"? Don't tell me the game didn't model in atomic bomb production???

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 7
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/15/2006 4:22:18 PM   
templeton

I'm now moving into 1947... Germans still hanging on in there, but the AI let off the pressure against Japan, and conseuqnetly, Australia and India have fallen. A video for the Japanese marching into Dehli would have been nice... the Japanese and Germans link up in Persia (another nice alt-history video opportunity).

Allies not teched up their bombers. I think Atomic bombs are modelled in an abstract way - but remember the Atomic bomb is only equivalent to a large scale bombing raid in terms of damage, and more people died in single night of fire-bombing in Tokyo than either of the two atomic bomb targets.

Of course the physcological damage of the bomb is difficult to factor in... the significant leap in technology was not the atmoic bomb, which was measured in thousands of tonnes of TNT, but the leap to the Hydrogen bomb, of which the yeild is measured in MILLIONS of tonnes of TNT.

Suggest "TRINITY: The Atomic Bomb Movie", which is a great film comprising atomic bomb test footage and narrated by Bill Shatner. The Moscow philamonic provide a fantastic soundtrack...

Back to this game... given that the game has an option to start in 1945 with a pre-emptive Soviet attack (although it would have been nice to see a pre-emptive attack by Patton!), there is scope to add some later technology. Although even as late as Korea, the war is being fought in a similar way to WW2, just with the addition of jets and helicopters.

One thing I was wondering about was mech or motorised infantry. Cetainly the US had most of their infantry motorised, so it seems appropriate that they should move as fast as their tanks. Or is it the case that a US tank unit is supposed to be representaive of mechanised forces in general? Even so, the Ameircan leg infantry rode around in trucks, whereas the Germans were still using horses to tow their guns.

< Message edited by templeton -- 11/23/2006 2:37:35 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/15/2006 4:41:15 PM   
pap1723

I have been trying to find out some information about the modding capabilities of the game.

We should all get together and see what we can come up with.

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 9
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/18/2006 3:37:27 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Fall 62 Still going. Japan about to fold.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 11/18/2006 3:41:17 AM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to pap1723)
Post #: 10
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/18/2006 3:13:25 PM   
GKar

What the hell are you doing with all that time?

It needs a lot of work to conquer every single Allied province (even more so in AWD, I guess), but it shouldn't be that hard to do the other way round, right?

Post #: 11
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/18/2006 5:09:25 PM   
Titanwarrior89

NO its not that hard I am generally moving my units to win but not really putting alot of thought into just to see how long it'll go until - I win or get bored.

Spend alot of my time on WiTP so Chill.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 12
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/19/2006 1:37:06 AM   
GKar

No pun intended, I was simply wondering.

Post #: 13
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/19/2006 2:13:37 AM   
Titanwarrior89

NP at all Gkar. I played the first few games thru thinking and planning my moves. This one i am watching the russians move and set up in western europe and around turkey. I wanted to also see how the game plays out after the late 40s. So far interesting.
quote:

ORIGINAL: GKar

No pun intended, I was simply wondering.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 14
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/19/2006 7:50:32 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Question? Japan fell in spring 65 Now I am trying to attack russia but nothing came up after the japan surrender film. Ive tryed attacking but can't get my units too cross borders.

The diplomic screen still shows us friendly- I am the allied powers. What am I missing here. Now Fall 65. Troops massed everywhere for the "Big Show Down".

Thanks inadvance.

Post #: 15
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/19/2006 7:57:10 PM   
JanSorensen

There is a bug with games with "No End Data" ending after 1946 not getting to the victory screen and thus not letting you get into the WA vs Soviet war. This is expected to be fixed with the first patch.

Post #: 16
RE: Longest Game Ever? - 11/19/2006 8:52:34 PM   
Titanwarrior89

OH Thanks Jan. I guess Ill stop the game now. Geeez it was just getting to the really good part. The russians have all kinds of units on the borders.

(in reply to JanSorensen)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Longest Game Ever? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI