Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Theme of our next game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> RE: Theme of our next game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
[Poll]

Theme of our next game

Frederick the Great
  29% (45)
Rome vs. Carthage (Punic Wars)
  20% (31)
Hungary vs. Turkey (15-16th century)
  9% (14)
American Civil War
  24% (37)
Napoleonic period
  15% (24)

Total Votes : 151

(last vote on : 1/4/2009 8:46:35 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Theme of our next game - 11/25/2006 9:09:00 PM   
LitFuel

You should have other or none of the above as a choice...I pick none of the above. One reason I want to see Matrix pickup Age of Rifles is that it has hardly touched conflicts.

my choice is a combo release which would give plenty of battles, and would include:
The Zulu War
The Boer War
Indian Mutiny
Afghan War

< Message edited by LitFuel -- 11/25/2006 9:12:13 PM >

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 31
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/3/2006 10:18:01 AM   
Redan

I am very much interested in Ottoman Empire.

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 32
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/6/2006 5:50:19 AM   
Drex

Just read the "The Punic Wars" by Goldsworthy and this time period allows for both grand strategic and great tactical battles. I vote for this one.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 33
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/7/2006 7:42:29 PM   
Telescreen

The Frederick The Great period is a great period for wargames, and there are hardly any wargames
covering that period. Would be nice to fight the Seven years War :)

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 34
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/9/2006 4:26:50 PM   
steveuk

Frederick the Great or the English Civil war would be my choices or how about The 100 years war or the War of the Roses?  It's a shame that there are so few games covering the above periods.  WWII (my favourite) has been done to death as has the ACW.

It is well that war is so terrible; else we would grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

(in reply to Telescreen)
Post #: 35
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/12/2006 12:21:02 AM   
tblersch

Has anyone ever done a game on Frederick the Great's campaigns?  Seems like an era that's long overdue for representation. 

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 36
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/12/2006 11:13:21 AM   
ravinhood

Punic Wars all the way. ;) I love ancients games (mainly because they are so few and far between), I jump on everyone good or bad (yeah I bought that crappy RTW) just because they are ancient games. The only other one I would buy would be Civil War game. I wouldn't be interested in Frederick the Great, but, would be interested in Alexander the Great. ;)

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 37
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/15/2006 12:35:32 PM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: tblersch

Has anyone ever done a game on Frederick the Great's campaigns?  Seems like an era that's long overdue for representation. 

Very much agreed! I voted for Frederick also.

(in reply to tblersch)
Post #: 38
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/15/2006 5:06:42 PM   
sol_invictus

I would love a good Punic War period game. I also think that you can't go wrong with Frederick the Great or the Wars of German Unification.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 39
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/15/2006 6:34:50 PM   
Moltke71

I'm not at all sure if the Wars of the Enlightnment period fit with the 1848/FL! engine.  Those wars  didn't require popular support.  For ancients, I'd do the Pelopanessian War,

Jim Cobb

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 40
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/15/2006 11:30:14 PM   
TheHellPatrol

I love Prussians!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 41
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/16/2006 7:16:36 AM   
darthsmaul

I just got forge of freedom and it is so hard for me.  I can do the strategic but no clue how to win a tacticle battle, now I would love to see for liberty done as ACW, tactical is a little easier to deal with and I might have to buy for liberty, only played the demo, loved it.

If you do fredrick the great, Id rather see the whole seven years war, global conflict with the french and Indian war in America and all the European powers fighting it out in Europe, kind of like an Age of Reason Sport of Kings miniatre game on the computer, that would rule too

Id also probably do napoleonic, I have crown of glory as well but both that and forge are a little too hard for me, I dont know maybe some practice but Im an old talon soft gamer so too much just confuses me. lol, but again I did like the for liberty demo and I think I will be buying the game for myself as a Christmas presetn.

Steve

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 42
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/18/2006 2:48:48 AM   
scott64

Crimean War 

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 43
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/19/2006 6:51:32 PM   
Jakerson

Why dont make game that is centered around Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden "Lion of the North" and 30 years of war?

Carl von Clausewitz and Napoleon Bonaparte considered Gustav Adolf one of the greatest generals of all time and his leadership and strategies was important part of making Sweden relatively small state on the path of Great Power. Gustav Adolf was very aggressive and innovative general of his time witch eventually led his dead on the battlefield if he would not died he could had been the Napoleon of his time.

One very positive thing is that there is virtually no games ever made on this theme on the market so you would be propably the first team to make game out "Lion of the North".

Negative thing is that I'm not sure if Gustav Adolf is well knew outside Northern Europe.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 12/19/2006 7:04:55 PM >

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 44
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/19/2006 7:22:11 PM   
Hidde

quote:

Negative thing is that I'm not sure if Gustav Adolf is well knew outside Northern Europe.

But "Lion of the North" is an eyecatching name for a game, don't you think?
Iv'e read that Gustav II Adolf was the last king to die in battle and that Charles XII of Sweden was the last king to lead troops on the battlefield altogether. I wonder if that's true? At least Charles XII should be tied with Peter the Great.

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 45
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/19/2006 9:56:39 PM   
ravinhood

I think Rome vs Carthage would do well and better than Frederick the Great due to the fact that everyone just about knows about Roman history to some degree. Plus following on the heels of a game like RTW for those that like ancient periods of history it could bring them over to a more grey matter form of wargaming. I know I would sneak in snippets over at the Total War forums as I was talking about their games I would recommend Rome vs Carthage. You could then do Frederick the Great next and all would be happy. ;)

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 46
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/19/2006 11:54:45 PM   
JReb

Why not make a game of 18th century warfare that includes a full map and unit editor so modders can make any campaign they wish?

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 47
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/20/2006 2:18:25 AM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hidde
But "Lion of the North" is an eyecatching name for a game, don't you think?
Iv'e read that Gustav II Adolf was the last king to die in battle and that Charles XII of Sweden was the last king to lead troops on the battlefield altogether. I wonder if that's true? At least Charles XII should be tied with Peter the Great.

Yes "Lion of the North" was his nickname given by Protestant Germans. Its good game title.

I think he could be last king so if you dont consider Napoleon as Emperor at least he was crowned Emperor of France and lead troops in battlefield but Gustav Adolf is last king that died on battlefield I think.

(in reply to Hidde)
Post #: 48
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/20/2006 5:40:55 PM   
HORST324

Gotta go with Freddie. I think the Seven Year War is grossly overlooked and this engine seems well suited to recreate the highly tense strategic situation as well as the colorful and bloody set-piece battles.

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 49
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/21/2006 7:20:29 PM   
darthsmaul

SYW would rock but I would hope it would be the global conflict, not just part of it, so you could fight in Europe and the Americas down into central America with the spanish. with milita etc.. and even India but I could be happy with the first 2

(in reply to HORST324)
Post #: 50
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/22/2006 11:24:13 PM   
berto

Frederick the Great!

I loved the old FtG game from SPI.  (Didn't Avalon Hill later pick up the title and sell it at retail?)

Beyond that, a Thirty Years War game would be awesome!

Both of these titles seem well suited to your game engine.

I'd also love to see an ACW title using this engine, but maybe a couple of years down the road when the imminent glut of such games has subsided and you can better learn from the current crop of ACW games' mistakes.

As an aside, isn't this the Golden Age of (computer) wargaming?!  So many games on so many (often obscure) subject matters.  To this old grognard (~45 years playing wargames), so many dreams come true!

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 51
RE: Theme of our next game - 12/23/2006 5:11:48 PM   
HORST324

Absolutely - Frederick the Great (SPI and AH versions) is one of my all-time favorite games. It's not only a great game but also gave you a feel for that period of military history and what Frederick really had to deal with. An absolute nail-biter. It's right up there with Paths of Glory and RoboRally for games that induce heart palpitations, severe headaches and night sweats but keep you coming back for more. As a matter of fact, I believe playing RoboRally drunk is still a legal form of suicide.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 52
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/4/2007 6:29:05 AM   
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

I voted for Fredrick, but Hungary vs. Turkey sounds really interesting also. Since playing the Hungarian scenerios, and "1848", I've begun to get quite interested in Hungarian history. Also, I really like the opportunity to learn about parts of history that I'm unfamiliar with.

All My Best,

Jeff Sutro

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 53
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/4/2007 8:02:45 AM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffreys

I voted for Fredrick, but Hungary vs. Turkey sounds really interesting also. Since playing the Hungarian scenerios, and "1848", I've begun to get quite interested in Hungarian history. Also, I really like the opportunity to learn about parts of history that I'm unfamiliar with.

Agreed before playing 1848 and For Liberty I had only very vague idea that there had so big multi year independence wars that could be compared to American Independence war or France uprisings.

One reason is probably that these wars failed militarily so they are not well known outside Hungary because of winner’s right to write history thought 1848 failed only because of massive Russian intervention.

I voted Rome vs. cartage because I wanted game that but I’m also interested Hungarian vs. Turkey subjects.
Post #: 54
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/7/2007 7:17:17 PM   
sapper_astro

The Hungarian-Turkish war sounds very intriguing. If you guys run with something else but decide to do it as yet another 'Double bill' like FL and the Hungarian rising campaign, that would work (I would be happy with a fully fleshed out Hungarian-Turk war alone, but looking at the votes....).

Either way, I would definately buy it. I love different campaigns not readily available (As long as they are interesting).

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 55
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/7/2007 9:33:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

I must admit, I'd love to see a game that did all the Punic Wars well, but regretfully I'm not sure there's much of a market for it beyond people with ancient military history degrees.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 56
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/7/2007 11:32:09 PM   
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

quote:

Heres a suggestion that's not on the list: ENGLISH CIVIL WAR. As far as I'm aware this exicting period has not been reproduced in any PC wargame. It was a close run thing and a major historical event. I belive this period would make a brillant wargame on both strategic and tactical levels.

I also like the idea if the English Civil War. It might be fun to couple it with a War of the Roses Campaign, which also seems to me to be in keeping the "theme" of civil wars that this system seems to do so well.

Alternatively, the War of the Roses could be coupled with the Hungary vs. Turkish Empire campaign which took place at about the same time period, the very beginnings of the gunpowder era. In any case, the Hungarian-Turkish campaign should certainly include Vlad the Impaler. Call it "The Wars of Dracula", or some such title. Sure to be a big seller!

All My Best,

Jeff Sutro

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 57
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/8/2007 5:59:02 AM   
lancerunolfsson

quote:

Punic Wars well, but regretfully I'm not sure there's much of a market for it beyond people with ancient military history degrees.

Just call it "Hannibal Lord of the Ivory Beasts" or something equaly stupid and you will have your market;^)
Post #: 58
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/8/2007 8:17:03 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I must admit, I'd love to see a game that did all the Punic Wars well, but regretfully I'm not sure there's much of a market for it beyond people with ancient military history degrees.

Regards,

- Erik

You've got to be kidding, just look at the popularity of RTW. Musta sold 100's of thousands of copies by now (and just look how crappy it was too). I think you're living with blinders on. ;) We can't help it if you cut yourself in your own foot by not going brick n mortar retail, so, more people can see your games and find out about you. Not our fault. ;)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 59
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/8/2007 8:21:29 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancerunolfsson

quote:

Punic Wars well, but regretfully I'm not sure there's much of a market for it beyond people with ancient military history degrees.

Just call it "Hannibal Lord of the Ivory Beasts" or something equaly stupid and you will have your market;^)

It's not just the title name, but, it's the box art as well. Matrixgames needs to get on the bandwagon that SEX sells. haha Need some scantilly clad roman/cartheginean females on the box art (perhaps tearing at Hannibal's clothing or something like a catfight haha) ;), with large boobies and then put that on a retail shelf....it'll sell. ;)

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> RE: Theme of our next game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI