Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Theme of our next game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> RE: Theme of our next game Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
[Poll]

Theme of our next game

Frederick the Great
  29% (45)
Rome vs. Carthage (Punic Wars)
  20% (31)
Hungary vs. Turkey (15-16th century)
  9% (14)
American Civil War
  24% (37)
Napoleonic period
  15% (24)

Total Votes : 151

(last vote on : 1/4/2009 8:46:35 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/8/2007 9:28:21 PM   
James Ward

Napoleonic.

So many different Campaigns available with a wide variety of Armies and terrain. The whole Napoleonic War Campaign might be a bit of a bear to play though!

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 61
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/8/2007 9:54:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ravinhood,

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
You've got to be kidding, just look at the popularity of RTW. Musta sold 100's of thousands of copies by now (and just look how crappy it was too). I think you're living with blinders on. ;) We can't help it if you cut yourself in your own foot by not going brick n mortar retail, so, more people can see your games and find out about you. Not our fault. ;)

I own RTW, actually, and I do go to retail stores to check things out. Note that I said "a game that did all the punic wars well". While RTW is a fun game, it's not even close to that (in my mind), frankly. It's a very fun Rome-based strategy title. I have no doubt something like RTW would sell well, but unfortunately adding in all the stuff I'm imagining as far as doing it right would pretty much immediately reduce the market. Do you realize how many people only play RTW for the 3D battles part? Ever wonder why the strategic campaign isn't multi-player, but the battles are? It's a totally different target audience from what I'd be aiming at with my "perfect" Punic Wars game.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 62
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/8/2007 10:02:12 PM   
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

quote:

It's not just the title name, but, it's the box art as well. Matrixgames needs to get on the bandwagon that SEX sells. haha Need some scantilly clad roman/cartheginean females on the box art (perhaps tearing at Hannibal's clothing or something like a catfight haha) ;), with large boobies and then put that on a retail shelf....it'll sell. ;)

That would work even for the "Wars of Dracula" game. We all know what "babe magnets" vampires are!

All My Best,

Jeff Sutro

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 63
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/9/2007 3:39:01 AM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I must admit, I'd love to see a game that did all the Punic Wars well, but regretfully I'm not sure there's much of a market for it beyond people with ancient military history degrees.

Regards,

- Erik

Wargamers are totally different from people that play mass market games especially those who want to play more complex games. Most of the wargamers knew a lot about history and are more interested in it than average players. Wargamer also seems to have higher education than average Joe and are university students or graduated. I don’t know any low education wargamers at all.

I also happen to be medieval and WW2 re-enactor I virtually know every battle that happened at WW 2 and most of important medieval battles back to the ancient times. If I found a game that subject I don’t know I usually read something about it to get familiar with background behind the battle.

I have been wargamer more than 20 years and played over 200 wargames in 4 different platforms. Today’s world nobody seems to make games about interesting subjects anymore witch is really sad. I remember time when there was a game in Atari where one player assumed role of terrorist organization and other role of government agency fighting against it was much more interesting and original idea than idea of any game ever made after 1990.

Ideas behind wargames have gone lower at same pace than graphic and multiplayer has gone well. Way too many today’s games just copy the idea of other best selling titles and produce games virtually from same battles time after time after time. There is way too low number of positive suprices in this.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 1/9/2007 3:52:30 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 64
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/9/2007 1:55:59 PM   
christof139

Punic Wars were a favorite of mine and I have much info. What a project to make. Play through the 1st PW and then graze through the years between the 1st PW and 2nd PW in 5-year leaps or so, just being able to build your economy and explore and do some Quick battle type conquets in remote places but have no combat and conflict between Rome and Carthage, and then the 2nd PW starts. Maybe do the 3rd PW maybe not. Good luck and that is a humungous job.

Christof139 form FoF

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 65
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/10/2007 10:03:02 AM   
sapper_astro

Eric, make sure you try Europa Barbarorum for RTW...
http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

I cannot play Normal RTW or any other mods since playing it.

However, as has been said, Wargamers are different, hence why instead of voting for many overdone titles listed here, I thought the Hungary/Turkey conflict would be excellent to play.

Hmm, my writing is green.....

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 66
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/10/2007 1:49:06 PM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I own RTW, actually, and I do go to retail stores to check things out. Note that I said "a game that did all the punic wars well". While RTW is a fun game, it's not even close to that (in my mind), frankly. It's a very fun Rome-based strategy title. I have no doubt something like RTW would sell well, but unfortunately adding in all the stuff I'm imagining as far as doing it right would pretty much immediately reduce the market. Do you realize how many people only play RTW for the 3D battles part? Ever wonder why the strategic campaign isn't multi-player, but the battles are? It's a totally different target audience from what I'd be aiming at with my "perfect" Punic Wars game.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik
I voted for the Punic Wars. I agree with your statement here, basically a wargame has a more limited audience than a RTS/arcade battle game, and if you make a wargame on a very limited period you are further reducing the audience. That is why I advocate (not for the first time in Matrix Forums) for a game that would be a TOAW version for pre-WW1 scenarios, that is basically a game with a strong and versatile scenario editor, with graphics easy to mod. What keeps alive a game is the gamers community, and what sets TOAW as the standard for every WW2 wargame is the huge ammount of scenarios developed by the gamers community.
A wargame with an scenario editor that allows to create any campaign/battle pre-WW1 and that allows the player to play campaigns and battles (like For Liberty does) for sure would have a large audience, and a long live.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 67
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/22/2007 11:16:18 PM   
Venator

I confess I'd prefer English Civil War or similar. Hence I voted for the Hungarian/Turkish option. I really like For Liberty!, the fact that it's two separate campaigns added tremendously to the value for money.

I really don't like the idea of a US Civil War based game - there are loads. The only Napoleonic conflict I think would fit well with the engine would be the Peninsula War from 1809-13.

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 68
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/23/2007 2:24:05 AM   
hueglin

I voted for Napoleonic as the most interesting subject matter on your list (to me). I would have voted for the periods below in the order listed if they had been there.

1. Wars of German Unification - let's say Central and Northern Europe between 1848 and 1880 (including Franco-Prussian War).

2. Thirty Years War

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 69
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/23/2007 2:32:14 AM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

quote:

I advocate (not for the first time in Matrix Forums) for a game that would be a TOAW version for pre-WW1 scenarios, that is basically a game with a strong and versatile scenario editor, with graphics easy to mod. What keeps alive a game is the gamers community, and what sets TOAW as the standard for every WW2 wargame is the huge ammount of scenarios developed by the gamers community.
A wargame with an scenario editor that allows to create any campaign/battle pre-WW1 and that allows the player to play campaigns and battles (like For Liberty does) for sure would have a large audience, and a long live.

I fully agree with Iñaki's assessment. The time period I would like to see covered by this type of game would be from about 1600 to 1900 - The ages of muskets and rifles. One thing I really like about For Liberty is the way it deals with leadership - something TOAW (despite being a great game) is sorely lacking.

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 70
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/23/2007 5:54:32 AM   

quote:

You might want to consider having a basic engine, and then releasing various expansions / scenario packs for it. The buyer can buy whatever expansions he wants, all of which would work with the installed game engine, with each one adding whatever special rules are needed for the period being covered. It seems to me that this would save a good deal of reprograming for each game, save some space on the users hard drive, and add a good deal of flexibility. I'm familiar with this approach, because it is basically what is done by "The Sims", a game which my daughter owns, and for which I find myself buying a seemingly unending series of expansions. It seems to work for Maxis, and I assume it also would work (though probably on a more modest scale) for Hussar.

On a second subject, I have now come to the conclusion that my first choice for the next game is The Wars of Dracula (Hungarian-Turkish wars), perhaps coupled with the Wars of the Roses (from about the same time period), or possibly the English Civil War. Of course I may be a minority of one, and will I almost certainly buy whatever game you do produce, but I do think it would be really interesting to see those conflicts covered.

All My Best,

Jeff Sutro

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 71
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/24/2007 1:32:09 AM   
hueglin

This is also similar to the formula used with SPWAW and the Mega-campaigns, although I am not suggesting that you give away the original game for free. The base game could have an editor which would be released with the game, but Hussar Games could then create "campaign" add ons that are professionally done and highly researched. I know that many user mods of games are very well made, but I also think people will still pay money to extend a really good game.
Post #: 72
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/24/2007 2:51:23 AM   

quote:

I also think people will still pay money to extend a really good game.

I know I will.

All My Best,

Jeff Sutro

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 73
RE: Theme of our next game - 1/24/2007 6:57:02 AM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar
I voted for the Punic Wars. I agree with your statement here, basically a wargame has a more limited audience than a RTS/arcade battle game, and if you make a wargame on a very limited period you are further reducing the audience. That is why I advocate (not for the first time in Matrix Forums) for a game that would be a TOAW version for pre-WW1 scenarios, that is basically a game with a strong and versatile scenario editor, with graphics easy to mod. What keeps alive a game is the gamers community, and what sets TOAW as the standard for every WW2 wargame is the huge ammount of scenarios developed by the gamers community.

Game theme is only one thing that affects do I buy a game or not I'm propably marginal customer but I try to avoid buying games of majority themes.

But still I buy games from these themes if there is something new on other areas like if its originally done.

I have waited for 10 years that somebody would make a polically oriented and realistic computer wargame about "War of Terrorism" where all sides are playable and sadly I still wait.

I Also hope that somebody would greate a MMPOG game about some complex political conflicts like Somalia where players takes roles of various sides and war lords.

Most of games I these days play are abandonware that I play using various DOS, Amiga, C64 emulators there just made so many political orientated classics at back in the 90 and 80. They are too good to leave alone I hope that somebody would re-create some of these old wargame classics with modern technology I would surely buy it.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 1/24/2007 7:10:35 AM >

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 74
RE: Theme of our next game - 2/4/2007 11:13:44 AM   
Hauberk

I chose Hungary vs Turkey.An era I know little about.For me that is entirely the point.
what better way to learn about it than through a war game?

(in reply to bluesrocks)
Post #: 75
RE: Theme of our next game - 2/5/2007 12:24:41 AM   
Venator

quote:

I chose Hungary vs Turkey.An era I know little about.For me that is entirely the point.
what better way to learn about it than through a war game?

Absolutely. That's why I loved the Hungarian campaign in For Liberty!. It made me aware of a conflict that I had been entirely ignorant of hitherto...

(in reply to Hauberk)
Post #: 76
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> RE: Theme of our next game Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI