Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 5:40:09 PM   
tgb

I thought there was a 50/50 chance as to which side Kentucky joins (assuming neither side has troops stationed there). I've restarted about half a dozen times as the CSA at different levels, and every game Kentucky joins the Union on the 2nd or 3rd turn.
Post #: 1
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 5:43:02 PM   
Hard Sarge

yes it can go either way

I do not think it is 50-50, but there CSA can gain Kentucky

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 2
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 5:43:32 PM   
rogeur

I've done almost the same you did. And i had them join me once , out
of 10 or so.(all on adv lvl)

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 3
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 5:45:17 PM   
moose1999

I've started three games, all as the Union, and Kentucky has joined the rebels every time.
So I guess my answer to your question is yes.

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 4
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 5:45:18 PM   
Alex Gilbert

It definitely does join the CSA sometimes. Somewhere in the forum (and perhaps in the manual as well--I have not looked) the chance was given. It is not 50-50, it is much more likely to join the union. That being said, I have had a number of games as the CSA where I got control of Kentucky. The key is to get all your forces out of there on the 1st turn. Actually, I think the AI does not tend to remove its forces that quickly, and so the CSA gets kentucky the majority of the time in my games against the AI.

Alex

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 5
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 5:53:45 PM   
Paper Tiger

From what I read it should be 80-20 USA-CSA but it is more likely to join the side that has less forces in the state.

(in reply to Alex Gilbert)
Post #: 6
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 5:58:11 PM   
Mike Scholl

I've had it go both ways, though it seems to favor the Union (makes sense, that's the way it went in real life). I've also had it "sit on the fence" for a number of months before "deciding". And the one time I Emancipated as the Union (had to, in spite of 100 gold per turn every turn, Britian had reached +6 CSA and France +5), Kentucky went Rebel the very next turn.

By the way..., has anyone else noticed that since the patch the South seems to be doing better in the "Struggle for Europe"? I've only started two games since then, but in both I'm having a much more difficult time holding the Europeans "down". In the one where I Emancipated, Britian was back up to +6 CSA within 5 turns in spite of maximum spending on 4 out of 5. Or am I just having some extremly bad luck?

(in reply to Alex Gilbert)
Post #: 7
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 6:05:41 PM   
Hard Sarge

it may be bad luck, nothing was done to the Diplo rules in the patch (that I know of)

you may be getting a CSA Governor supporting Diplo with England

this is odd, as playing as CSA I normally have trouble keeping my levels with them up, so do not know if the AI is getting a bonus

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 8
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 6:54:26 PM   
dude

I forgot where I read it but I swear it said Kentucky's entry chance was based on the number of troops from each side.  (The larger group had the worse chance... ie were considered the aggressor.)  I've kind of tested this by making a mod.  Using the standard game where the USA has more troops in Kentucky it kept siding with CSA... in my mod (I moved the union troops back across the boarder) it joins with the USA.

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/11/2006 7:33:51 PM   
JudgeDredd

They did do in my game - I am playing USA 

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 10
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 1:08:22 AM   
Johnus

The CSA player must remember that Paducah is part of Kentucky. Its easy to forget to remove troops from this province.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 1:18:09 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: dude

I forgot where I read it but I swear it said Kentucky's entry chance was based on the number of troops from each side.  (The larger group had the worse chance... ie were considered the aggressor.)  I've kind of tested this by making a mod.  Using the standard game where the USA has more troops in Kentucky it kept siding with CSA... in my mod (I moved the union troops back across the boarder) it joins with the USA.

Remember also that the designer's have mistakenly put Ft. Henry in Kentucky..., if you garrison it as the Rebels, you are handing Kentucky to the Union.

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 12
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 1:32:48 AM   
Hard Sarge

no, I have gotten Kentucky while leaving the troops in the fort

but at times, if you think it is going to go Union early, it may be better to pull the troops, as you may not be able to change the guns in time to make it worth holding

Post #: 13
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 1:37:55 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

no, I have gotten Kentucky while leaving the troops in the fort

but at times, if you think it is going to go Union early, it may be better to pull the troops, as you may not be able to change the guns in time to make it worth holding

True, one brigade probably isn't enough to guarantee it going to the North..., but it certainly bolsters the odds. But my real point is that whomever designed the map got it wrong, and if it was in Tennessee where it belongs the problem wouldn't exist.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 2:09:55 AM   
cdbeck

Seems to me, if you leave Frankfurt (the capital of KY) as the USA and the CSA take it (before KY declares sides) then it hands it to them. Maybe this is my bad luck, but I pulled everything out of KY and the CSA left it all in, but still got it in about 3 games out of 6.

Son of Montfort

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

Post #: 15
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 3:55:21 AM   
Tanaka

Does the map error having fort henry in kentucky instead of in tennessee effect kentucky going to the union? In other words CSA has troops in kentucky but should not.

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/12/2006 4:05:05 AM >

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 16
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 4:51:23 AM   
Artmiser

Seems to me the AI just gets allot of money. 

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 17
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/12/2006 6:31:23 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Does the map error having fort henry in kentucky instead of in tennessee effect kentucky going to the union? In other words CSA has troops in kentucky but should not.

Any impact that garrison might have on Kentucky is not statistically significant. And since it would be foolish to withdraw a garrison from a key province, this is not something to be concerned about.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 18
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/14/2006 5:18:32 PM   
Sonny

When I have played the Union the only time Ky decided in my favor was when I kicked the Confederates out. Next turn after I had the only troops in the state it went for the Union.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 19
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/14/2006 5:23:06 PM   
Crimguy

I'm in mid-1862 as the rebs and KY has not decided where to go yet.  Is there a time limit?

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 20
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/14/2006 9:52:56 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

Any impact that garrison might have on Kentucky is not statistically significant. And since it would be foolish to withdraw a garrison from a key province, this is not something to be concerned about.

Just curious but will this be fixed in a future patch?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 12/14/2006 11:26:32 PM   
Gil R.

Tanaka, what are you referring to? The location of Fort Henry, or the minor impact its garrison might have on Kentucky's decision?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 22
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/15/2007 9:17:57 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

Tanaka, what are you referring to? The location of Fort Henry, or the minor impact its garrison might have on Kentucky's decision?

The map location...of course if this changes the minor impact would go away as well...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 1/15/2007 10:03:08 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 23
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/15/2007 9:25:45 PM   
chris0827

quote:

quote:

The map location...

I'd like to see Kentucky split up with Lexington and southern Kentucky going to the confederates. This gives the South a chance to recruit troops from Kentucky as they historically did. In most games Kentucky joins the North and the South gets none of the 25,000 men that fought on their side.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 24
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/15/2007 9:59:12 PM   
christof139

quote:

I'd like to see Kentucky split up with Lexington and southern Kentucky going to the confederates. This gives the South a chance to recruit troops from Kentucky as they historically did. In most games Kentucky joins the North and the South gets none of the 25,000 men that fought on their side.

This would be neat. Chris

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 25
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/16/2007 8:36:56 AM   
Jonathan Palfrey

I liked the way Kentucky was handled in Frank Hunter's ACW game.

1. Kentucky starts with no forces of either side present. As soon as one side sends in troops, it takes offence and aligns itself with the other side. No random element. This is what happened in reality, as I understand it.

2. Both sides can recruit troops from Kentucky regardless of who 'owns' the state. This also happened in reality.

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 26
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/16/2007 9:10:35 AM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Palfrey

1. Kentucky starts with no forces of either side present. As soon as one side sends in troops, it takes offence and aligns itself with the other side. No random element. This is what happened in reality, as I understand it.

2. Both sides can recruit troops from Kentucky regardless of who 'owns' the state. This also happened in reality.

There's no way to recruit troops in this game without a city.

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 27
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/16/2007 11:56:26 AM   
Jonathan Palfrey

Yes, FoF has copied the Civilization Way: all things come from cities, and better things come from buildings in cities.

I think it was a rather unfortunate design decision to use this approach, but it's too fundamental to be changed in a patch, so the game will have to go on living with it.

As you say, it means that either side would have to own at least a city in Kentucky in order to recruit there. That's a distortion of reality, but not too bad a distortion.

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 28
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/16/2007 6:39:04 PM   
christof139

Maybe every province should have a town, a center where building and recruiting would take place, as there usually was a main settlement or point of socio-economic and geographic importance in most counties and areas of several counties, no matter how small those points or centers may seem today.

Chris

Post #: 29
RE: Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? - 1/16/2007 6:47:41 PM   
christof139

quote:

There were simply more Unionits than secessionists in Kentucky and Missouri than there were Secessionists. Lincoln was originally from Kentucky. East Tennesse and other fairly large areas of the South were pro-Union, as evidenced by West Virginia seceding from Virginia. The same in most civil wars, and the English Civil Wars are a good example of divided loyalties within local regions and even within counties themselves.

Both sides did recruit in the Border States and certain areas of the South, and the majority of the people in these areas were pro-Union and supplied many more troops and gave much more support to the Union than the Confederacy. Therefore, IMHO, I believe that the majority of people in these States and regions knew that they would inevitably side with the Union if civil war did break out, and that is what happened.

Chris

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Does Kentucky Ever Join The CSA? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI