Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Odd AI Infantry Tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Odd AI Infantry Tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Odd AI Infantry Tactics - 8/8/2000 5:29:00 AM   
BA Evans

I have just played a few Meeting Engagements against the AI in a German Long Campaign. In a meeting engagement there is a row of three objective clusters in the middle of the board, in addition each player has an objective cluster deep inside his deployment zone. In every Meeting Engagement I have played against the British AI (in the Desert) I have noticed some strange infantry movements. The British AI will send all his tanks and about 1/2 of his infantry towards the center line of objectives (standard AI rush tactic). The other 1/2 of his infantry seems to mill about just in front of the objective cluster in his deployment zone. These milling infantry don't dig-in to defend the victory hexes. They seem to rush around a few hexes forward, then sideways, then backwards, etc. They just seem to go in circles at maximum speed because I can spot them from 30 hexes away. Has anyone noticed this when they have Meeting Engagements in a long campaign?

Post #: 1
- 8/8/2000 6:47:00 AM   
McGib

Now that you mention it yes. And I was playing a German long campaign with a meeting engagment vs the British too.

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 2
- 8/8/2000 7:11:00 AM   
orc4hire

I've seen the French do it in a meeting engagement.... kept _all_ of his infantry milling around his objective hex while his heavy tank battalion went chasing into the woods after me. Damn good thing, too; I wouldn't have had a chance against those S.35s otherwise. (Ever send an infantry platoon to attack a heavy tank bn? Not a pretty sight....)

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 3
- 8/8/2000 10:15:00 AM   
Skotty

I am playing a long campaign as Germany. On the first meeting engagment vs Poland, I watched an ENTIRE company of wz.34 armored cars just scurry about a full speed near the edge of the map behind the deployment line. I looked like a bunch of Shriner's go-carts in a 4th of July parade. The wz.34's did barrel ahead in the first turn but that was it. They then turned back at full speed next turn and just scurried around. They were not suppressed for they would OP fire at long range at inf units. very weird

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 4
- 8/8/2000 11:09:00 AM   
Louie the Toad

Similar British tactic or lack of tactic in the desert with Matildas. A combined infantry and Matilda attack could have put me in a vert tight spot. But infantry attacked sepatately. "They came at us in the same old way, and we beat them back, in the same old way".

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 5
- 8/8/2000 1:40:00 PM   
Fredde

Yep, AI controlled units sometimes seem to get stuck in the middle of the map. Doesn't even have to be an objective area they are milling about. I've seen this with just about all kinds of units, and often after I've taken an objective area. Is it an attempt to actually defend the area they are milling about in, or do they get stuck because of some logical error? Can't remember seeing this in the old Steel Panther games, but then again.. it was quite some time ago i played those. Overall AI performance seems to be higher though in SPWAW.. more of a challenge :-)

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 6
- 8/8/2000 10:15:00 PM   
BA Evans

Thanks for all the replies. I am glad that I am not alone. I figure this must be some sort of mix-up in the AI routine. These units seem to rush around without a clear objective. This infantry would be better served either: 1. Supporting the attck or 2. Digging in around the objectives. The way they are acting, I know where they are, and they are too far away to be a threat to me. At least if they were hiding near their objective, I would be surprised when my lead units stumbled upon them. Thanks, BA Evans

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 7
- 8/9/2000 1:23:00 AM   
Nikademus

coordinating Inf/AFV attacks has always been a challenge for the AI, regardless of the SP version. Usually it moves all its units at their full speeds which results in the inf arriving late on the battlefield, often after the battle has been decided. Overall though, the AI in SP:WAW is alot better than it used to be. The AI uses its recon elements alot better than it used to, and in some cases the inf were not that far behind the armor. But i too have noticed this 'milling' effect repeatedly in just about every scenerio i've played. My last SP:WAW scenerio was the Bleinhem Blunder scenerio and the AI controlled INF did just that throughout the game till my now victorious panzers, fresh from defeating the wedge of British armor, advanced with infantry support and mopped em up. not sure what causes it...perhaps the extreme distances of some of the obj hexes? in the orig game code the objectives were often much closer together than they are now on these bigger maps provided with SP:WAW ??

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 8
- 8/9/2000 7:44:00 PM   
robot

If you really want to see the wizs of poland do there dance,do like i do. For support buy airborne for germans. Drop them behind enemy lines to back of hex. Give them anti tank rifles. Start shooting them like ducks. They will keep running back and forth in front of you. Also will exit map edge. Easy way to get rid of them and you wont have to put up with them for rest of battle. ------------------ Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to BA Evans)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Odd AI Infantry Tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI