Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GREAT GAME RUINED

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> GREAT GAME RUINED Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 6:19:32 AM   
R.E.LEE

GREAT GAME ,BUT NEVER EVER WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT IF I NEW IT ENDED IN 1865,IT JUST SUCKS YOU JUST GET THINGS ROLLING AND ITS OVER HOW STUPID COULD THE GAME MAKERS BE.IM SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS ASPECT OF THE GAME THAT IM TAKING IT OFF MY PC AND KISSING MY HARD EARNED $ GOODBYE.HOW IN GODS NAME COULD U RUIN SUCH A GREAT GAME BY PUTTING A TIME LIMIT ON IT.IM STICKING WITH HPS SCREW THIS BS.PS.PS IF I SEEM ANGRY ITS CAUSE IM AN ACW NUTCASE AND HAVE WAITED MANY YEARS FOR AN ACW GAME THATS THIS GOOD ONLY TO HAVE IT RUINED WITH A TIME LIMIT.

< Message edited by R.E.LEE -- 12/22/2006 6:39:51 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 6:32:25 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Now,now. Mr. Robert E. Lee would never use that tone now would he? 

Maybe you could put a post in the wish list for a no time limit mod or something. A little tact goes a long ways though. Not familiar with the game yet but does the CSA win by holding out until 65?

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 2
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 6:55:03 AM   
Gil R.

R.E. Lee, it is not "ruined" by a time limit. The time limit reflects the fact that one way for the South to have won the war was by not losing it. If the South could have held out long enough, it de facto would have become a sovereign country, gaining European recognition as such. So, beginning in 1865 in FOF the CSA starts to accumulate victory points simply for not having been defeated yet.

You are the very first person (customer or beta-tester) to complain about this feature, and if you post a request on the Wish List thread we will consider making this victory condition optional.

Thank you for your kind words words about the other aspects of the game.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 3
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 8:05:13 AM   
jonreb31

Gee whiz, calm down!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 8:37:07 AM   
marecone

Drink less coffe . You have 5 posts so far and one that I see sucks big time. Why? No tact! Game developers are doing a great job and are online almost 24 hours a day. We discuss new features and based on that they implement it in new patches or mods. There is no need to be harsh. Go through the forum and you'll see how much they try to please us all. Also, you have a wish tread where you can put your wish to include no time limit in the game.
And it is very funny how you say they ruined the game with that time limit. They did work out political system with governers, diplomacy system with european powers and military aspect with 3 ways of playing a battle. Basicly you get like 2 or 3 games in one.
And if after you go through forum and still think game is ruined then... Hmmm....
Give it a chance and go through forum. Maybe you end up suprised

Godspeed

< Message edited by marecone -- 12/22/2006 8:47:09 AM >

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 5
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 1:03:37 PM   
elmo3

Don't feed the troll.

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 6
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 3:58:31 PM   
slybelle

Gil,

Quick question. Unfortuantely, I haven't had the time to complete a full game to see how and when it ends, but I thought I read somewhere there wasn't a hard fast time limit in the game but the south would receive extra stuff after typical time limit expired. So can you confirm with me there is or isn't a hard end time?

Either way, no big deal, just wanted to know.

< Message edited by slybelle -- 12/22/2006 4:34:40 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 4:12:13 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Maybe you could put a post in the wish list for a no time limit mod or something. A little tact goes a long ways though. Not familiar with the game yet but does the CSA win by holding out until 65?

Have to second this in spades. The designers and developers have shown themselves to be quite willing to lissten to "suggestions" and "complaints" so far..., the good ones and even some silly ones. You use the title of one of America's greatest "Gentlemen"..., but you come across more like a 5-year old who didn't get "exactly" what he wanted for Christmas.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 8
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 5:09:33 PM   
ericbabe

To clarify the time limit rule: Beginning in January 1865 the CSA gets +1 victory point per turn.  This will eventually cause it to win, though perhaps not until 1866...  It would be very easy for us to add a game option to turn this rule off -- though if the game goes until 1940, don't be mad at us that you can't develop tanks and aircraft carriers.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 9
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 6:49:25 PM   
regularbird

I like the idea but I would not start the +1 victory pts until mid 1866. JMHO.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 7:26:25 PM   
hmssws

You could give the player the option to overide the victory, and continue playing each turn if you wish....1848 does this.....I kept playing till I wiped each and every enemy unit off the map....I admit, it really was over for all practical purposes, when the game said it was over, but I still enjoyed the option to go on....Just my 2 cents....I'm not mad at anybody right now....I'll have to try to get crankier.....lol....Hank

(in reply to regularbird)
Post #: 11
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 7:51:54 PM   
carnifex

Dear R.E. LEE: 

If it is 1865 and you are just begining to "GET THINGS ROLLING" then I suggest you suck.

Sincerely,

A. Lincoln

(in reply to hmssws)
Post #: 12
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 8:36:44 PM   
Alex Gilbert

Actually, I thought this was wonderfully ironic.....R.E. Lee is sounding an awful lot like McClellan....just getting started in 1865.

His next post will no doubt be that if the game designers just gave him 30,000 men more, he could go all the way to Richmond

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 13
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 8:38:08 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: R.E.LEE

<Censored>

Stop yelling, you <expletives deleted>...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 14
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/22/2006 9:44:14 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

To clarify the time limit rule: Beginning in January 1865 the CSA gets +1 victory point per turn. This will eventually cause it to win, though perhaps not until 1866... It would be very easy for us to add a game option to turn this rule off -- though if the game goes until 1940, don't be mad at us that you can't develop tanks and aircraft carriers.

What? No tanks? I put all this development into iron and war college and no tanks? I don't think I'll buy this game.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 15
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/23/2006 1:14:13 AM   
nmleague

Hadnt taken a game far enough for this to come up, but just had it happen in a game.  I was playing the Union, advanced rules with somethings off.  Got the middle of 1865 and the screen came on that the CSA was victorious.  Kind of funny, at that time basically the only south states left in their control east of the Mississippi were two sections of Virginia and part of North Carolina, and most of the CSA were either under blockade under Union control.  At the start of the turn which ended the game the Union had 23 victory points.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 16
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/23/2006 6:12:39 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Have to second this in spades. The designers and developers have shown themselves to be quite willing to lissten to "suggestions" and "complaints" so far..., the good ones and even some silly ones. You use the title of one of America's greatest "Gentlemen"..., but you come across more like a 5-year old who didn't get "exactly" what he wanted for Christmas.

Mike, it is not often I agree with you, and even posted a harsh reply to you which I regretted, but here I have to second you 100%.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 17
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/23/2006 7:21:30 AM   
Joram

quote:

To clarify the time limit rule: Beginning in January 1865 the CSA gets +1 victory point per turn.  This will eventually cause it to win, though perhaps not until 1866...  It would be very easy for us to add a game option to turn this rule off -- though if the game goes until 1940, don't be mad at us that you can't develop tanks and aircraft carriers.

Damn, I was looking forward to taking on the Nazi's as the CSA!!!!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 18
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/23/2006 5:09:30 PM   
Rabbitman

As joking as that was, that would kick arse.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 19
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/23/2006 11:41:40 PM   
elbkhan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

quote:

Damn, I was looking forward to taking on the Nazi's as the CSA!!!!

I know we shouldnt mention other games, but if you played Paradox Plaza's Victoria Revolutions (covering 1836-1925 approx), as CSA and survive, you could then import the game into Hearts of Iron Doomsday (covering 1936-1956 approx) and play WW2 as CSA...

Loved CoG. Still unsure about my feelings of this game. Love some aspects, dislike some others. The time spent on it so far definately makes my $60 or so well worth it. I also greatly appreciate the designers putting in the effort to tweak the game post release to match what the purchasers would like to see. Was one of the reasons I felt comfortable buying this game online and will probably buy any other games you guys release.

< Message edited by elbkhan -- 12/23/2006 11:52:46 PM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 20
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/24/2006 6:26:12 AM   
2gaulle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

R.E. Lee, it is not "ruined" by a time limit. The time limit reflects the fact that one way for the South to have won the war was by not losing it. If the South could have held out long enough, it de facto would have become a sovereign country, gaining European recognition as such. So, beginning in 1865 in FOF the CSA starts to accumulate victory points simply for not having been defeated yet.

I don't really understand this answer and the question as this games, according to the developers and Matrix is not historical accurate .

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/24/2006 7:08:27 AM   
Murat

He's been here a week posted for the 1st time when he bought the game and can't get his gimp system to run it.

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 22
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/24/2006 8:02:06 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

quote:

I don't really understand this answer and the question as this games, according to the developers and Matrix is not historical accurate .

the idea is, the Union has to win the War, the CSA can win by not letting the Union win, it is a standard form of ending a War game

now in the case as discribed, I disagree with it ending that way, as he wasn't losing (just didn't push HARD enough)

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 23
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/24/2006 6:34:06 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

quote:

Har, har, now stop giving him a hard time!

This is actually one of the areas that I am almost in full agreement with the devs (not that they need my opinion of course!). Maybe it needs a little tweaking or maybe not. But the game has to end sometime and if you can't beat the game by the ending, then it simply says you didn't do well enough to win the game. If you want a completely open ended game, go buy EUII (or Victoria as elbkhan pointed out). Those however aren't wargames - so you can't have it all.

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 24
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 12/24/2006 10:42:40 PM   
hmssws

On a historical basis, I think I can say with confidence that had the South managed to fight on through the year of 1865, the war would have continued. Given the strategic situation in 1865, the North would never have given up, and nobody was even remotely close to recognizing the South.....Now if 1864 had gone differently in a few particular instances (Johnson defeating Sherman's campaign, and no Mobile Bay, combined with the Northern publics dissattisfaction with Grants overland bloodbath), and Lincoln not been re-elected, then 1865 would likely have done it.....Lincoln was the key, he was a durn Pitt Bulldog, and an extremely ugly one at that....Hank

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 25
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 8/3/2007 2:13:21 AM   
s2437

I have to agree with the sentiments of the original poster, R.E. Lee, however extremely they may have been expressed. This may be more a problem for those playing the Union. Regardless of the whether you "lost" according to the rules or not, it is frustrating not to be able to complete the conquest of the South, especially when you are on the verge of taking Richmond after four years or more (in game time) of hard fighting. Instead, if a certain amount of time has passed and the South has not been conquered as defined under the rules a screen suddenly pops up declaring you the loser, and you can't even get back to the map just to survey the status of the game at the time of loss much less complete your fantasy of crushing the South. Whether the North would have given up in reality or not at such a stage in the war is an interesting point of discussion, but beside the point for a gamer. So please, it would be appreciated if the game could be played on, even after having been declared the loser (or victor for that matter) just for the satisfaction of having the game come to its historical finish. Thank you

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 26
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 8/3/2007 2:19:23 AM   
Gil R.

Look at the options screen for the "Total Victory" option, and check out thethe documentation for the 1.9.23 patch. You already have precisely the option you're asking for, and that our capitalization-happy friend who began this thread was demanding.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 8/3/2007 2:21:00 AM >

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to s2437)
Post #: 27
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 8/3/2007 2:56:19 AM   
Drex

There seems to be option already in place as Gil has pointed out. I prefer the time limit myself.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 28
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 8/4/2007 10:17:59 PM   
s2437

Thank you both for pointing this out. I have not yet downloaded the patch, but will do so immediately. This option will improve my gaming experience.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 29
RE: GREAT GAME RUINED - 8/4/2007 10:35:45 PM   
Gil R.

Yes, get the patch! It makes many improvements and adds numerous new features and options -- you'll definitely see the difference.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to s2437)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> GREAT GAME RUINED Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI