Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Siege Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Siege Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Siege Question - 1/3/2007 5:34:38 AM   
jack616

So I was playing with Wm Amos' 1861 mod, as the North, easy settings, because, well, frankly, I got the game via digital download and don't have the patience to print up the manual so I'm learning as I go...and anyway, I began a siege of Memphis with about 9k men. All died in 3 turns. A siege of Lynchburg seemed to be heading the same way.... Any ideas why my entire division decided to die the minute they begin a siege? Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Siege Question - 1/3/2007 5:56:59 AM   
Mike Scholl

What kind of "siege" are you engaged in? The first turn is automatically "regular siege", but after that you have a choice of options. If you don't have strong Siege Artillery and Engineering assets you are probably best to choose "encirclement" and try to starve them out. You don't have the proper equipment to try much else. And it will keep your losses minimal. You should also probably put besieging troops on "max supply" to help keep the numbers up.

(in reply to jack616)
Post #: 2
RE: Siege Question - 1/3/2007 1:47:54 PM   
jack616

normal siege..... so i guess that, combined with a low priority for resupply would explain the outrageous losses?

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 3
RE: Siege Question - 1/3/2007 3:09:17 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack616

normal siege..... so i guess that, combined with a low priority for resupply would explain the outrageous losses?

It will if your army isn't properly equipped and trained as a "siege train". If you have the big guns and engineering capability then you can shorten the time needed considerably. But if you don't have "the right stuff" your casualties will go through the roof.

(in reply to jack616)
Post #: 4
RE: Siege Question - 1/3/2007 3:31:34 PM   
Hard Sarge

plus you also need some numbers, a 9000 man Seige is not many

Post #: 5
RE: Siege Question - 1/3/2007 3:43:03 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

plus you also need some numbers, a 9000 man Seige is not many

RIGHT! Which is why it's important to keep your "Siege Train" at max supply whenever possible. Thanks for the clarification Sarge.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Siege Question - 1/3/2007 7:13:05 PM   
jack616

thanks for the help!  tried it this morning using your advice, no substantial losses.  i'm going to try and add some siege guns tonight.  may also try and read the manual a bit! :)

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Siege Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI