Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Generals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Generals - 1/12/2007 12:32:41 AM   
hotdog433

is there a way in the upcoming patch that the generals at the start of the game could be already assinged to the appropriate theatre

i hope i have god on my side but i must have kentucky
Post #: 1
RE: Generals - 1/13/2007 2:29:13 AM   
Gil R.

You're referring to the Standard scenario, I take it?

This is more difficult than you'd think. First, there are 1000 generals. But assuming that we just do this for the 25-percenters and 100-percenters, we'd have some choices. Would we put the generals in the theater where they made their name or had their highest command, or where they first were promoted to general (assuming they weren't one already in 1861). More importantly, generals will appear in whichever province we assign them in the Commanders.txt file, but what happens if that province is already in enemy hands? If we make western generals appear in Memphis and Memphis is taken, should they pop up there anyway? To have them pop up elsewhere -- i.e., tell the computer to look for another city that's not yet captured -- would require additional programming. Since generals can get to any province that isn't west of the Mississippi River within two turns I'm not sure it's worth the programming, much as I recognize that it would be preferable to have generals appear in the appropriate theaters.

(in reply to hotdog433)
Post #: 2
RE: Generals - 1/13/2007 4:59:12 AM   
Erik Rutins

Gil,

Those are definitely considerations, I agree. I think however that the main request is to just have the starting generals that show up on Turn 1 already pre-assigned to the appropriate theater and co-located with their commands rather than leaving the player to decide where to assign them.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Generals - 1/13/2007 12:46:37 PM   
hotdog433

yes sorry just the starting generals but i think the dates need to be reworked for some of the generals i just think that it is a bit out at the moment and it would have to be were they made there name as there rank is not always a way to judge them

i hope i have god on my side but i must have kentucky

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Generals - 1/13/2007 5:42:53 PM   
rook749

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

You're referring to the Standard scenario, I take it?

This is more difficult than you'd think. First, there are 1000 generals. But assuming that we just do this for the 25-percenters and 100-percenters, we'd have some choices. Would we put the generals in the theater where they made their name or had their highest command, or where they first were promoted to general (assuming they weren't one already in 1861). More importantly, generals will appear in whichever province we assign them in the Commanders.txt file, but what happens if that province is already in enemy hands? If we make western generals appear in Memphis and Memphis is taken, should they pop up there anyway? To have them pop up elsewhere -- i.e., tell the computer to look for another city that's not yet captured -- would require additional programming. Since generals can get to any province that isn't west of the Mississippi River within two turns I'm not sure it's worth the programming, much as I recognize that it would be preferable to have generals appear in the appropriate theaters.

Either Scenario, Standard or July. I would have two starting locations for each side - for the Union Annapolis or Springfield and for the CSA Petersburg or Atlanta.

Also it would be nice if where possible, at the start of each scenario generals started in a province with the command at that time.

Rook

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI