Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Standardized Artwork Set

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Standardized Artwork Set Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/17/2007 9:35:24 AM   
JWE

Yes Sir. Lots of new stuff. TomLabel and BigB had a lot to do with it. Some of the upgrade grafix follow; there are a lot (I mean a LOT) of open bit map markers for paint job mods. The upgrade grafix are just for the structural changes, about half of what CHS points to. The upgrade grafix will be according to what CHS points to nowadays. You will have lots of room for eye candy.

Ciao.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 361
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/17/2007 10:26:07 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I just hope that the questionable mechanics of the game as released are given the same effort you guys are doing for free! You guys are veritable heroes! Thanks for your devotion.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 362
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/17/2007 5:26:10 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I just hope that the questionable mechanics of the game as released are given the same effort you guys are doing for free! You guys are veritable heroes! Thanks for your devotion.

John is an upgrade master! (and very devoted!) I stealing/using some of that in ver 1.4 coming out in the near future.

Brian

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 363
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/18/2007 4:59:19 AM   
Cathartes

Whoah!  Hot Steel on the Cool Pacific!  Great work JWE, Tomlabel, BigB!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 364
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/24/2007 5:15:28 AM   
JSBoomer

The art looks fantastic! Is it availible yet? If so where?

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 365
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/24/2007 7:13:01 AM   
Cathartes

Can't speak for the ships, but you can check out the "News and Info" section here for a little preview:

Cathartes' Art

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 366
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/24/2007 10:11:43 PM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cathartes

Can't speak for the ships, but you can check out the "News and Info" section here for a little preview:

Cathartes' Art

WOW!!! Those look awesome Cathartes!!!

I am looking forward to their release!!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 367
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/26/2007 10:43:19 PM   
Halsey

BTW

I have finished my CHS non-standard Allied ship graphics to show historical upgrades.

If some of you are interested, I will send it to Spooky's to be posted.
Dixie, would you like to replace the current DL you have with this one?

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 368
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/26/2007 10:57:50 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

BTW

I have finished my CHS non-standard Allied ship graphics to show historical upgrades.

If some of you are interested, I will send it to Spooky's to be posted.
Dixie, would you like to replace the current DL you have with this one?

Sure thing. Do you already have my email?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 369
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/26/2007 11:43:35 PM   
Halsey

Non-standard CHS Allied ships with upgrade bitmaps on the way to you and Spooky.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 370
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/27/2007 11:33:32 AM   
Dixie

The files are uploaded to my website. They are available here:

CHS scaled ship sides

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 371
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/27/2007 10:55:50 PM   
JWE

The CHS(J) stuff is now complete. It isn't so much a "mod", although it is that, but more of a "developer's kit". Everything is on the wire to Andrew for review. The package is also off to Monsieur le Spook.

The CHS(J) mod has been developed with three (four) factors in mind:

1) The art set will be compatible with the Matrix Stock Art Set: i.e., the Stock Art will be a direct subset of the CHS(J) Art. If you use the CHS(J) Art, it will work with standard Matrix scenarios.

2) The class and ship definitions will be as historically accurate as possible, allowing for consolidation of similar ship classes, with similar characteristics (with respect to AK and AP classes), into one major representative class. Capacity, fuel, and endurance, for all classes, have been adjusted as well as the design and yard data allows. Durability and maneuverability have been adjusted for all Aux classes (for both sides) to conform with the standards of the BigB mod.

3) Things are organized into slot and bit map groupings that are rationally related to classes. Consolidation allows for many new open slot positions and about 50-60 open bit map positions. The new organization should be of some benefit to both “paint job’ and ‘fantasy’ modders.

4) Make changes only with respect to the class (wpcxxx.dat) and ship (wpsxxx.dat) databases, such that the CHS(J) mod can be incorporated into any mod that concerns itself with Air and LCU modifications. (It should plate directly into Treespider’s, and Nik’s mods. The art will work with BigB’s stock mods.)

Class Changes (wpcxxx.dat)

Class names/designations have been changed to more accurately reflect historical reality (especially in the various auxiliary classes). AP and AK class names/designations were changed to more accurately reflect US Naval Class designations and standardized cargo configurations (for both sides).

Ship Changes (wpsxxx.dat)

Ships changed classes, as appropriate. To differentiate a US Navy AK/AKA from a similar commercial AK, the USN ships have USS added before their names. A player can now determine who has an AA suite worth adding to an assault TF, and who is just a delivery boy.

Upgrade Changes

I maintained data upgrades, as much as humanly possible. Ships that had structural changes during a refit or rebuild, have those changes reflected in the bit map pointers for the class. Single ship classes, or a class of 2 ships, generally do not have separate art (new bit maps) for upgrades, unless it is structural. This is because the .bmp files can be substituted without requiring a game restart. For Example, the Wasp has only one graphic. However, a player can download as many different Wasps as desired and just substitute out the AnSide0239.bmp and AnShil0239.bmp files (saving the baseline, of course).

The CHS(J) mod includes two files (wpcxxx.dat, wpsxxx.dat) and an art package. It is not CHS 2.08, and cannot be used with any ongoing CHS 2.08 (or prior rev) game. The various blank art files can be used as a modder sees fit.

Art Files

The art files include sides and shills numbered to fit the mod. The art also includes panels of blank background graphics, from 0001 to 0398, as well as two panels of upgrade path graphics, and a background set. The ships are named and show the baseline .bmp number, so any side/shil combo can be renumbered to fit into any other mod, including CHS 2.08 (yes, it’s work, but it’s fairly routine mouse/keyboard stuff). The whole idea is to provide flexibility, thus it isn’t practical to provide a one-size-fits-all solution; there are too many alternative solutions.

I hope the community enjoys any little bennys they might find here. I had a lot of fun making them, I hope someone has a lot of fun using them.

I'll post some examples.

JWE

< Message edited by JWE -- 5/27/2007 10:56:40 PM >

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 372
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/27/2007 11:01:19 PM   
JWE

Here's a sample upgrade panel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 373
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/27/2007 11:10:46 PM   
JWE

And here's a sample class panel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 374
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/28/2007 2:55:54 PM   
Halsey

Very nice!
Thanks for the work.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 375
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/29/2007 1:35:19 AM   
Cathartes

EEE-E-YOWSA !!!! 

All you involved have achieved naval vessel nirvana.  (please don't make me say something else with 7 vs).

And the IJN?

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 376
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/29/2007 4:09:21 AM   
TOMLABEL

Great work JWE! Thanks for putting this all together!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 377
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/29/2007 9:15:45 PM   
JWE

quote:

EEE-E-YOWSA !!!! 

All you involved have achieved naval vessel nirvana.  (please don't make me say something else with 7 vs).

And the IJN?

The IJN was done a while ago and still fits. The bit#h was the Allies; discontinuities and anomalies. I had to do a complete renumeration.

The Japanese CHS art set at Monsieur le Spooks works for this mod and is also compatible with stock.

So many mods, so little room.

Gotta Q, gimmie a PM.

JWE

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 378
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/29/2007 9:56:03 PM   
JWE

quote:

EEE-E-YOWSA !!!! 

And the IJN?

Anyhow, the mod is a mod, certainly. However, it's more of a 'developer's kit' than anything else. The art has virtually everything called out by CHS, including 2 versions of the "Insect" class Brit gunboats in China. There is a complete set of 'blank' panels from which anyone can define an art set for a mod; complete identification of each class, by name, slot #, correspondance to stock and CHS, and bit map #, is included.

All known structural upgrades of US Naval vessels is also included, from removal of the Renown aircraft capability, to the reconfiguration of US DDs with 40 mikes, in separate "Upgrade Panels".

The 'blank' panels are provided (with appropriate numbering) so that players can download later war 'camo' art from Fremen, BigB, TomLabel, Dixie, Halsey, whoever, and have a good feel as to where it goes. I must say that if anyone wishes to camo or otherwise modify any of my 'blank' panel art, they have, not only my permission, but also my encouragement.

Thank you all for your support and your appreciation. Major kudos ought to go to TomLabel and BigB who were instrumental in defining the US warship characteristics. We all hope you folks enjoy what we have done.

JWE

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 379
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/31/2007 2:37:12 PM   
Reg

Are we there yet. are we there yet, are we there yet.........

quote:

It is not CHS 2.08, and cannot be used with any ongoing CHS 2.08 (or prior rev) game.

Oh Bugger.

quote:

CHS Version 3.0

Just can't wait!!!!

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 380
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 5/31/2007 6:04:04 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

It is not CHS 2.08, and cannot be used with any ongoing CHS 2.08 (or prior rev) game.

Oh Bugger.

quote:

CHS Version 3.0

Just can't wait!!!!

Sent off to Monsieur le Spook. Andrew Brown has them also. It shouldn't be long now.

When I say the art can't be used with CHS 2.08, I mean that the side and shil bit map numbers relate to my 099 scenario and using 099 AlliedShip_Back and AlliedShip_Transp .bmp files will likely crash a 2.08 game.

However, a cross-reference table is included for class slots 172 - 399 (Stock v CHS v CHS(J)), and a tabular class list giving .bmp numbers for every class. All of the ship blanks (about 390, or so) are identified by the class name and the .bmp number.

If you need some art for 2.08, just look up the class, copy the sides and shils into a temp folder, renumber them to the 2.08 .bmp number and drop them in. "Almost" all the 172-399 numbers will transfer directly; the 001-157 and 400-468 will not.

JWE

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 381
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/4/2007 2:11:38 AM   
Halsey

JWE's Allied ship profiles are now hosted at Spooky's site.

Be forewarned.
These will not work with any version of CHS at this time.

If you want to use them, some bitmap location numbers will have to be rearranged.

Hmm, the side DL's at Spooky's site stop at bitmap 299.
Are we missing some?

< Message edited by Halsey -- 6/4/2007 2:30:36 AM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 382
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/4/2007 10:13:25 AM   
kokubokan25

quote:

Cathartes' Art

Awesome work Cathartes, congrats!

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 383
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/4/2007 5:22:25 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

JWE's Allied ship profiles are now hosted at Spooky's site.

Be forewarned.
These will not work with any version of CHS at this time.

If you want to use them, some bitmap location numbers will have to be rearranged.

Hmm, the side DL's at Spooky's site stop at bitmap 299.
Are we missing some?

Actually, they work with the CHS(J) scenario 099 that is included in the set. This scenario is bascially AB's CHS 155, but with the class and ship dbs reworked. I've kinda done to all the auxiliary ship classes what Spidey has done to bases, and what Nik and BigB have done to the air model.

As I mentioned before, this is also a kind of developer's kit. There is a reference document included that will let people find the Scen099 number of any ship. Once found, all they have to do is copy, renumber, and paste into the CHS 2.08 art folders. The idea is to give you folks all the art and let you fiddle with it.

The last zip file, with sides 300-468, somehow didn't get through to the Spook. I sent it again; should turn up soon. In the meantime, everything is in the panels of blanks, and I included a background panel, so you can make up your own sides & shils.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 384
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/5/2007 12:21:14 AM   
pad152

I started reading this thread, but my eyes started to glaze over!

Questions

1. How does this address the different aircraft types of the different mods (Nik, CHS, RHS, etc.)?

2. Has anyone checked with Matrix to see if they would be willing to change WTIP so that the bmp files for aircraft are treated that same as ships with a separate bmp files for each aircraft, so different mods could use different art work for the same slot number?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 385
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/5/2007 2:38:37 AM   
Halsey

Thanks JWE!

Yeah, I knew about the changes.
Just wanted to put it in layman terms, so us non-attorney types would understand.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 386
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/6/2007 5:59:17 AM   
TOMLABEL

I've got a question for all the Royal Navy fans here. I'm in the process of converting over to the standardized ship art while making changes to the stock set put together by JWE. What I mean in the way of changes is basically paint schemes. As a start, I'm currently changing the USN ships over from the gray colors to MS21 (overall navy blue) and have also redone the specific schemes for CV5, 7 & 8 art work bringing it in-line with the standardized scale. Following these changes, I am may also apply the MS22 and dazzle schemes to some USN capital ships, that is, if I don't give out before then.

However, when it comes to the RN and allied navies, I'm unsure if there was as standardized scheme such as the USN MS21 used. I have to admit that I'm not very well versed in this area at all. I've noticed that Dixie has standardized many of his excellent RN ships with camo schemes, but I was wondering if there was a basis (or non-dazzle/wavy) scheme to convert over to as a start.

TOMLABEL

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 6/6/2007 6:30:22 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 387
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/6/2007 1:10:46 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

I've got a question for all the Royal Navy fans here. I'm in the process of converting over to the standardized ship art while making changes to the stock set put together by JWE. What I mean in the way of changes is basically paint schemes. As a start, I'm currently changing the USN ships over from the gray colors to MS21 (overall navy blue) and have also redone the specific schemes for CV5, 7 & 8 art work bringing it in-line with the standardized scale. Following these changes, I am may also apply the MS22 and dazzle schemes to some USN capital ships, that is, if I don't give out before then.

However, when it comes to the RN and allied navies, I'm unsure if there was as standardized scheme such as the USN MS21 used. I have to admit that I'm not very well versed in this area at all. I've noticed that Dixie has standardized many of his excellent RN ships with camo schemes, but I was wondering if there was a basis (or non-dazzle/wavy) scheme to convert over to as a start.

TOMLABEL

IIRC there was no real standard scheme across the RN until late 1942 onwards with the Admiralty standard schemes being devised. Until then the RN ships carried almost as many designs as there were ships, with official schemes being mixed with special one-off schemes. Some ships did wear plain grey during the war, but I think they were the exception. It may be easier to use the late war Admiralty scheme and use that as a basis for a black/gray dazzle scheme.

This site may be of some use, although it mostle focuses on the USN: http://www.shipcamouflage.com/3_7.htm

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dixie -- 6/6/2007 1:11:19 PM >

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 388
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/7/2007 2:24:14 AM   
JWE

quote:

TOMLABEL

Sweet!! Kelley, please 'em along when you get a chance.

All files are now up on Spooky's site at: http://mathubert.free.fr

And Andrew Brown is also hosting the scenario and the complete art package at:

www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp/scenarios.html

Ciao. JWE

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 389
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 6/7/2007 3:05:53 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

TOMLABEL

IIRC there was no real standard scheme across the RN until late 1942 onwards with the Admiralty standard schemes being devised. Until then the RN ships carried almost as many designs as there were ships, with official schemes being mixed with special one-off schemes. Some ships did wear plain grey during the war, but I think they were the exception. It may be easier to use the late war Admiralty scheme and use that as a basis for a black/gray dazzle scheme.

This site may be of some use, although it mostle focuses on the USN: http://www.shipcamouflage.com/3_7.htm

Dixie - Thanks! That is some very good information and helpful information. Also, thanks for the site info - I'll need to do some reading here to get up to speed somewhat.

JWE - Will do.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Standardized Artwork Set Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI