Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 1:54:28 AM   
Feinder

Thanks CF!

And because I've read Toland's book, I know where Gadarukanaru is.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3181
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 2:36:03 AM   
alaviner

One quick question - how far is the war ahead of the AAR now??

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3182
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 2:50:37 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCSUforest

One quick question - how far is the war ahead of the AAR now??

Despite the fact that I have been fairly diligent about posting new entries the game continues to get ahead of me. The game is now about six months ahead.

(in reply to alaviner)
Post #: 3183
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 4:31:37 PM   
tocaff

Well at least we know that you're managing to hang in against growing Allied strength.  I wonder if the boys are still around or floating in lifeboats.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3184
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 4:54:37 PM   
BrucePowers

We don't want to know until it happens.

I do have 1 question. What is the experience level of the ship?

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 7/19/2008 4:56:02 PM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3185
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 6:28:32 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

We don't want to know until it happens.

I do have 1 question. What is the experience level of the ship?

Good timing, since this was going to be the subject of this morning's post anyway! See below. Daytime experience seems to be easier to come by than nighttime experience for ship's crews.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3186
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 6:28:45 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 9, 1944

Course: North
Attached to: TF 23
Mission: Air combat
System Damage: 1
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 235

Orders: Return to Osaka

---

At some point in the operation around Ulithi Hibiki picks up another point of day experience. Overall experience is now 81/69 (started war at 72/66).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3187
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 8:11:17 PM   
tocaff

So Hibiki might have some port time for upgrading and shore leave for the crew in the very near future....

Todd

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3188
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 8:28:55 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

EDIT: Although delivering 80% of the supplies would be a victory of sorts

Same sort of victory as Dunkirk. But if you define it by objectives achieved as opposed to pound for pound losses taken, I'll agree that it is a victory.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3189
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 8:32:13 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

So Hibiki might have some port time for upgrading and shore leave for the crew in the very near future....

Are they going to take off another turret or just slap some more AA guns in unlikely places?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3190
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 8:37:55 PM   
Terminus

A few more 25mm guns and a radar suite.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3191
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/19/2008 8:39:23 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

A few more 25mm guns and a radar suite.

Ooooh......radaaaaaar. This should give us days of hilarious dialog.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3192
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 1:01:09 AM   
BrucePowers

Upgrades are always good.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3193
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 1:26:22 AM   
thegreatwent

Upgrades are good unless your talking about the poor Ise Class hybrid conversion. Yech, has anyone actually gotten much use out of them post "upgrade"?

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3194
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 5:31:46 AM   
John 3rd

ANYTHING that packs nearly 1,000 AA strength is useful!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 3195
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 3:55:51 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Perhaps, but you ruin a perfectly good BB to get it. And the trouble is that rediculous little flight deck on the back of Ise is nothing more than a nuisance. Given the total lack of effectiveness of the Japanese Naval Air arm at the time you do get this mod, the 4 guns that were back there would be much more usefull, IMO.

The AA upgrade is nice, I'm just not sure giving up the naval guns for it is a good trade off.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3196
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 4:15:23 PM   
Nemo121

They should just have removed the guns ( big naval rifles are fairly useless at that stage ) and put in lots of FlAK ( 3.9 inch DP turrets with a smattering of 40mm Bofors would have been wonderful ) instead of the dinky little flight deck. You would get a LOT of 3.9 inch turrets onto the ship if you cleared the back deck for them and had a pyramidal-type structure with FlAK guns on each level of the pyramid. Stability wouldn't have been a problem on a BB.

I did a few calculations along this line for the CVA Yamato and Designer class CAAAs in my mod and ripping out 8 inch gun turrets and staggering lots of 3.9 inch turrets in barbettes along the hull ( a la secondary guns ) lets one cram an awful lot of AAA onto CAs and BBs. Sure, you give up ANY surface combat capability they might have had but you end up with a wonderful anti-aircraft ship which is hellaciously survivable when compared to anti-air DDs and CLs.

OOC: I think it is going to be pretty sad when Hibiki eventually, inevitably, sinks.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3197
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 8:20:42 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

They should just have removed the guns ( big naval rifles are fairly useless at that stage ) and put in lots of FlAK ( 3.9 inch DP turrets with a smattering of 40mm Bofors would have been wonderful )

Just how many 40mm Bofors were available to the IJN?

quote:

OOC: I think it is going to be pretty sad when Hibiki eventually, inevitably, sinks.

Don't underestimate Benzaiten!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 3198
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 9:08:01 PM   
Nemo121

40mm Bofors: Well 40mm equivalents.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3199
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/20/2008 11:37:14 PM   
tocaff

...with proximity fuses....

Todd

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 3200
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/21/2008 7:08:02 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 10, 1944

Fuel: 190

---

Taiki is alone in the petty officer’s wardroom when Shun enters. The young petty officer stands to acknowledge the Chief.

“Chief Shun,” he says respectfully. Shun does not speak at first but instead closes the door behind him and then locks it. He then turns back towards Taiki.

“Takahashi,” he says in his gravelly voice. He then comes towards Taiki, moving on the balls of his feet in a fighter’s crouch. Taiki takes an involuntary step backwards in alarm.

“Chief?” he says. Shun merely grins without making a reply. As he reaches Taiki he throws a punch right at Taiki’s head.

It is possible that Shun telegraphs the punch just a little bit. But it is a vicious punch anyway and if it lands Taiki will need extensive dental work. It does not land. Taiki reacts with great speed and slips the blow by a fraction of an inch. Then, reacting completely by instinct, he grabs Shun’s arm and uses it as a lever to pivot into the big man, driving his elbow hard into Shun’s midriff. Shun actually grunts at the blow. The next move in the sequence is to throw Shun over his shoulder and to the floor, but at this point intellect overrides reflex. Taiki releases Shun and pivots back out of reach, an appalled expression on his face.

Shun is holding a hand over his midriff and grinning. “Good, very good,” he says. “Tell me, Takahashi, who did you take advanced unarmed combat from at Sergeant’s School? Kubo?”

Taiki is confused. “Yes, Chief,” he stammers. “How…how do you know that?”

“Kubo and I are old friends,” he says. “I recognize his technique when I see it – as I recently have.” He gazes levelly at Taiki. “The fact that you took the course is in your file.”

Here it comes, thinks Taiki. He braces himself and meets Shun’s stern look evenly. Astonishingly, however, the chief begin to chuckle.

“Your only mistake was striking too hard,” he says when he recovers his composure. “Next time trust your skill.” Taiki knows he is not talking about what just happened. Shun claps Taiki on the shoulder and goes to the door. He unlocks and opens it. Then he takes one look back at Taiki, chuckles again with a shake of his head, and leaves. Taiki stands looking at the empty doorway for several moments, a bemused expression on his face.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3201
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/21/2008 8:29:00 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

“Your only mistake was striking too hard,” he says when he recovers his composure. “Next time trust your skill.” Taiki knows he is not talking about what just happened.

Mystery solved! (And I should have realized that there was a recently trained fourth suspect.) I continue to be awe-struck by your ability to keep multiple complex plot-lines going.

But Miharu may never find out . . . he certainly won't from Shun!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3202
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/21/2008 9:08:42 PM   
alaviner

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3203
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/22/2008 9:08:20 AM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

May 10, 1944

Fuel: 190

---

Taiki is alone in the petty officer’s wardroom when Shun enters. The young petty officer stands to acknowledge the Chief.

“Chief Shun,” he says respectfully. Shun does not speak at first but instead closes the door behind him and then locks it. He then turns back towards Taiki.

“Takahashi,” he says in his gravelly voice. He then comes towards Taiki, moving on the balls of his feet in a fighter’s crouch. Taiki takes an involuntary step backwards in alarm.

“Chief?” he says. Shun merely grins without making a reply. As he reaches Taiki he throws a punch right at Taiki’s head.

It is possible that Shun telegraphs the punch just a little bit. But it is a vicious punch anyway and if it lands Taiki will need extensive dental work. It does not land. Taiki reacts with great speed and slips the blow by a fraction of an inch. Then, reacting completely by instinct, he grabs Shun’s arm and uses it as a lever to pivot into the big man, driving his elbow hard into Shun’s midriff. Shun actually grunts at the blow. The next move in the sequence is to throw Shun over his shoulder and to the floor, but at this point intellect overrides reflex. Taiki releases Shun and pivots back out of reach, an appalled expression on his face.

Shun is holding a hand over his midriff and grinning. “Good, very good,” he says. “Tell me, Takahashi, who did you take advanced unarmed combat from at Sergeant’s School? Kubo?”

“Kubo and I are old friends,” he says. “I recognize his technique when I see it – as I recently have.” He gazes levelly at Taiki. “The fact that you took the course is in your file.”

Here it comes, thinks Taiki. He braces himself and meets Shun’s stern look evenly. Astonishingly, however, the chief begin to chuckle.

“Your only mistake was striking too hard,” he says when he recovers his composure. “Next time trust your skill.” Taiki knows he is not talking about what just happened. Shun claps Taiki on the shoulder and goes to the door. He unlocks and opens it. Then he takes one look back at Taiki, chuckles again with a shake of his head, and leaves. Taiki stands looking at the empty doorway for several moments, a bemused expression on his face.

WOW , i couldn't have guess this one !
Nice job as usual Cuttlefish !

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3204
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/22/2008 1:17:35 PM   
tocaff

You woulda thunk it?

Todd

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 3205
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/22/2008 4:23:41 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

The Chief ALWAYS knows:

Rule #1: The Chief knows everything.
Rule #2: If you think the Chief doesen't know, remember rule #1.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3206
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/22/2008 5:04:05 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

and in chs kick ass float plane fighters and torpedo planes.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3207
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/23/2008 7:12:15 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 11, 1944

Course: Northeast
Fuel: 145

---

Senior Petty Officer Okubo is at the rail, keeping an eye on a group of sailors who are at work replacing the gaskets and knife-edges on a door in the aft deckhouse nearby. Chief Shun comes into view and saunters over to join Okubo. He just stands there for a moment, watching the work.

“It looks at though we should be back in Japan tomorrow,” Okubo comments, just to be saying something. “Any idea where we will be making port, Chief?”

Shun shrugs. “Osaka probably, given our course, or maybe Okayama,” he says. “I haven’t heard.” He turns away, looking out at the green water. Okubo turns with him.

“You caught a break, you know,” Shun says after a moment. He is speaking in a low voice.

“Chief?” says Okubo.

“A break,” Shun says. “Someone decided you ought to get another chance and was willing to take a risk to do it. You were luckier than you deserved. If it was me you would be in irons now. I’ve had about enough of you, Okubo.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Chief,” Okubo says. But he does know.

“Right,” says Shun. “What kind of accident did you have in mind for Aikawa? It had to be something like that. Someone figured it out and decided to punish you informally.”

“Chief, I would never…” Okubo begins.

“Shut up,” Shun says curtly. “Just listen. Lieutenant Miharu is not a stupid man. He probably has gotten pretty close to the truth. If he gets there your career is over. The only reason that hasn’t happened is that you have a guardian angel. A violent one, but still a guardian angel.” Okubo says nothing to this, but his mind is racing. He knows it wasn’t Shun. Who then?

Shun glances over to make sure the men are still at work, then continues talking. “You get no more chances aboard this ship. One more slip and you are through. Remember that, and remember that I’m not the only one watching you.” He pushes away from the rail. “Have a good afternoon,” he says, then moves away. Okubo watches him retreat. He feels cold, as if spirits were visiting his grave.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3208
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/23/2008 8:37:07 PM   
ChezDaJez

Nice. But I'll bet Okubo doesn't take the hint...

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3209
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Disciple - 7/23/2008 8:38:09 PM   
thegreatwent

Brilliant writing. As usual

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 3210
Page:   <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI