Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/1/2008 2:35:48 PM   
Feinder

quote:

I suppose that in the Japanese language the little mnemonic about months with an "r" doesn't exist...

I was gonna say the exact same thing (well, almost).

Great minds think alike!

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3391
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/1/2008 7:42:08 PM   
Dili

I think i can see Cpt. Ishii near the gun tube talking to the crew.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/archives/1117535.html#comment

Check this great post by Q-Ball http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1903508

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dili -- 9/1/2008 7:47:06 PM >

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3392
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 7:50:08 PM   
Cuttlefish

July 2, 1944

Course: None
Attached to: TF 23
Mission: Air combat
System Damage: 1
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders

---

Tendo, Japan, 1955:

Shiro Kuramata is sitting at the desk in his study when the phone rings. He stops typing and lifts the heavy black receiver off its cradle.

“Hello, this is Kuramata,” he says.

“Hello, Mr. Kuramata, this is Hashimoto,” says a cheerful voice through a faint hollow-sounding background of static. “I apologize for bothering you. Do you have a moment to talk?”

“Certainly,” says Shiro. He leans back in his chair. “It is no bother at all.” Hashimoto is the editor at the publishing company who is helping him finish the book he is writing.

“Good, good,” he says. “I have been looking at the chapters you sent us last week. They are very nice. Your writing is becoming more polished. Still, I have marked a few possible changes and mailed them back to you for review. You should have them in a day or two.”

“I look forward to seeing them,” says Shiro.

“There is one thing I wanted to talk about, though,” says Hashimoto. “The early summer of 1944, before Hibiki was sent to Kagoshima. All you say is that..” A faint rustling of paper is heard over the line. “…Is that ‘After Admiral Yamamoto’s visit we remained in port until July 17, when we were ordered to sail to Kagoshima.’”

“Yes?” says Shiro. “It is what happened.”

“I understand,” says Hashimoto. “But it is not very exciting. This was one of the most intense periods of the war, after all. The fall of Guam, the invasion of Ulithi, the attack on Hollandia, all of this was going on during this time.”

“You have to realize,” says Shiro, “that aboard Hibiki we heard little of this. The reports about Guam and Ulithi we got were contradictory and frequently wrong. We learned almost nothing about the New Guinea campaign at all until after the war. For us it was a quiet time.”

“Was nothing happening ashore?” Hashimoto asks. “Perhaps further trouble from this Rickshaw fellow or something like that?”

Shiro chuckles. “We never saw him again,” he says, “though that was not quite the end of that story. But really nothing went on. We scraped a lot of paint and did a lot of dull work in the Tokyo heat. That’s one of the things I want readers to understand. Even in the middle of the biggest war ever we often spent weeks or even months training or drilling or doing maintenance work. Hibiki saw more action than most ships but even so we spent a lot more time in port than we did in battle.”

“I take your point,” says Hashimoto. “And this is a story about the war the way you saw and lived it. Very well, we’ll leave it like that for now. After you have finished the last few chapters we will see how it all flows.”

“Thank you,” says Shiro, looking up at his typewriter. “I am working on them now, in fact.”

“I am glad to hear it. Take care, Kuramata, and we will talk again soon.”

“Good bye, Mr. Hashimoto,” Shiro says. He hangs up the phone and then peers at the typewriter to review what he had just written. As soon as his train of thought is re-established his fingers once again begin thumping away at the keys.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3393
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 8:00:17 PM   
marky

hey CFish, nice to see its still goin! 

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3394
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 8:56:13 PM   
histgamer

hmm that last entry really made me see how this would actually make a good movie. Though the focus would prolly be changed to making the movie through a series of flashbacks as Kuramata is writing his book.

But seriously this is amazing I will buy a copy of it all once your through.

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 3395
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 9:05:57 PM   
cantona2

We'll need a TROM of this Hibki when this is done CF!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 3396
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 9:11:28 PM   
Mobeer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
I suppose that in the Japanese language the little mnemonic about months with an "r" doesn't exist...

june = roku gatsu

Should have been ok?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3397
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 10:01:00 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

We'll need a TROM of this Hibki when this is done CF!

I have posted a TROM for each of the first two full years of the war. This one links back to the first one. I will do one for this year (and 1945, should Hibiki survive that long) and then a master one at the end.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 3398
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 11:02:29 PM   
kaleun

Paper bag over head.

Excuse my ignorance.
TROM?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3399
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 11:06:37 PM   
Feinder

Tabular Record Of Movement

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 3400
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/2/2008 11:07:26 PM   
kaleun

thx

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3401
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 12:01:18 AM   
BrucePowers

I did not know what it meant either.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 3402
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 12:21:36 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 3, 1944

---

Hollywood, California, 1972:

Ernest L. Pressinger, head of Lucky Pictures, sits behind his massive oak desk. Behind him the brilliant Southern California sunshine, tinged ochre by the smog, streams in past the drawn-aside plum-colored curtains. It outlines the fringe of white hair on Pressinger’s head, giving him the appearance of have a halo. This appearance is somewhat deceiving.

Across the room a door opens and a tall, thin man pokes his head in the door. “Are you next?” snaps Pressinger. The man’s Adam’s apple bobs as he swallows and he nods his head. “Well, come on in then,” says Pressinger. “I haven’t got all day.”

Pressinger is holding ‘pitch meetings’, meetings where he gives writers one minute to pitch their ideas. He is looking for Lucky Picture’s next big blockbuster. One or two lucky writers will have their scripts purchased. The rest will endure Pressinger’s scorn and go home to face yet another rejection.

The skinny young man advances across the deep pile carpet, clutching a sheet of paper. He tries to look confident as he approaches Pressinger’s desk but does not entirely succeed.

“What’s your name, son?” barks Pressinger. “Speak up!”

“H…hello, sir,” says the young man. “I’m Walter Herman.”

“Well, Herman, spit it out,” says Pressinger. “And for god’s sake keep it short.”

“Yes sir,” says Herman. “My script is called Japanese Destroyer Attack! It’s adapted from a book of the same title. It’s the action-packed story of one of Japan’s destroyers in World War II.”

“Japs?” says Pressinger. “War flicks are still big, but folks in this country want pictures about Americans. Red white and blue, mom and apple pie kind of Americans who laugh at death and then blow away the enemy!”

“Yes sir,” says Herman, “but remember Tora Tora Tora a couple of years ago. That was half from the Japanese point of view.”

“Yeah,” growls Pressinger, “but did it make money?”

“Yes, it did, thanks to overseas profits,” says Herman.

Pressinger pushes a button on his desk. “Francine!” he says, barking into a speaker. “Get me the profit and loss figures for Tora Tora Tora. I want ‘em five minutes ago! Move!” He looks up at Herman. “Go on,” he says.

“Well, sir,” says Herman, his words tumbling over one another, “I see Toshiro Mifune as the hard driving captain, a man who knows his cause is doomed but is determined to do his duty. One of Chief Petty Officers is a man of great strength with a violent and mysterious past. There’s a love story too, with a crewman who used to be a smuggler trying to go straight and win the love of the Chief’s beautiful daughter. The ship was in a lot of the big battles of the war, so there would be lots of combat scenes. Think of a cross between From Here to Eternity and The Caine Mutiny.”

“Hm,” says Pressinger. “I don’t hate it.”

“It would be a gripping war epic,” says Herman, waxing on when he sees this tack seems to be working, “personal stories against a backdrop of history, like The Longest Day or Battle of the Bulge!”

Battle of the Bulge!” bellows Pressinger. He heaves his large frame up out of his chair. “I was a sergeant with the Seventh Armored at the Bulge, son, and let me tell you, that movie was a crock!” Herman recoils, aghast at this sudden change in attitude. “Forget the historical errors, which were horrible, that film tried to pretend that M47s were Tiger IIs! And they thought that no one would notice or care that M24s were being used as Shermans! What a joke! And you have the gall to come into my office and talk to me about that movie? Get out, I tell you. GET OUT!”

Herman turns and flees, nearly sobbing. The heavy oak door closes behind him with a thunk. Pressinger sits down and mops his face with a handkerchief. After a moment he leans forward and presses the intercom button.

“Send in the next one, Francine” he says.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3403
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 12:41:02 AM   
princep01

How funny...my father was with the 7th Arm. at St. Vith.  It was the third time he was almost killed and the third time you almost didn't get this note. 

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3404
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 1:12:30 AM   
BrucePowers

Well, at least I am not the only one who disliked that movie.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 3405
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 1:46:39 AM   
Terminus

Not by a long shot, Bruce...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3406
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 1:47:40 AM   
tocaff

Hollywood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3407
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 6:53:24 PM   
histgamer

Hmmmm I sortta feel like my last post could have inspired that story.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3408
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 7:19:26 PM   
cantona2

Battle of the Bulge, see now thats a movie that could do with a total overhaul starting with the tanks and Peiper!!!!! (well the guy supposed to be Peiper)

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 3409
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 8:05:31 PM   
Shark7

Ummmmm...Oops!

SS Cuttlefish, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

I'm sorry.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 3410
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 8:17:39 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Battle of the Bulge!” bellows Pressinger. He heaves his large frame up out of his chair. “I was a sergeant with the Seventh Armored at the Bulge, son, and let me tell you, that movie was a crock!” Herman recoils, aghast at this sudden change in attitude. “Forget the historical errors, which were horrible, that film tried to pretend that M47s were Tiger IIs! And they thought that no one would notice or care that M24s were being used as Shermans! What a joke! And you have the gall to come into my office and talk to me about that movie? Get out, I tell you. GET OUT!”

A Hollywood producer who cares about realism?? Something of a stretch . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3411
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 8:18:09 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

I always thought it was odd that for years one of the most realistic movies about the War in Europe was a comedy called Kelley's Heroes.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3412
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 9:21:11 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

How funny...my father was with the 7th Arm. at St. Vith.  It was the third time he was almost killed and the third time you almost didn't get this note. 

I'm glad he made it and thus that you did too!

It got me thinking, though. World War II had such an impact on so many things that it's possible that a great many of us would not be here had the war not occured. My parents met, for example, because my grandparents moved to Southern California to work for Consolidated building B-24s.

On the other hand, who knows how many forum mates might have been here but aren't because their parent or grandparent died in the war? I guess we all exist at the end of a long chain of chance and coincidence. When you think of it that way it's as if we have all beaten odds that dwarf the chances of winning the lottery.

But thoughts like that make my head hurt. When that happens I usually stop philosophizing and go eat a chocolate chip cookie. It helps put things in perspective.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 3413
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 9:22:27 PM   
Cuttlefish

July 4, 1944

---

A stocky figure with a startlingly ugly face and very broad shoulders climbs the gangway and steps onto the deck. He is greeted by Ensign Izu, who cannot repress a bit of a grin upon seeing him. His approach is businesslike, however. The stocky figure salutes.

“Chief Petty Officer Shun reporting for duty, sir,” he says.

Izu salutes in return. “Welcome back, Chief,” he says. “I believe you will find that Lieutenant Miharu has already added you to the duty roster. Oh, and Captain Ishii would like to see you at your convenience after you have stowed your gear.”

“Thank you, sir,” says Shun. “I will attend to that immediately.” He hoists his sea bag and heads below.

“Chief,” says Izu, and Shun stops and turns. “It’s good to have you back.”

“Hrm,” grunts Shun. “Thank you, sir.” He turns back and makes his way below, his footfalls as always making almost no sound.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3414
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 9:24:20 PM   
Terminus

Yaaay! The Chief is back!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3415
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 10:10:50 PM   
Lecivius

I expect that SYS point will vanish in terror

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3416
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/3/2008 10:11:00 PM   
Cuttlefish

July 5, 1944

---

I thought it might be interesting to take a moment and look at a present-day vessel with a familiar name…

There is no longer an Imperial Japanese Navy, of course. These days Japan has the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force. But there is still a ship named Hibiki afloat. The modern vessel is AOS Hibiki, launched in 1990.

The current Hibiki is a T-AGOS (tactical auxiliary general ocean surveillance) ship. It is the lead ship of the two-vessel Hibiki class, which is really a variant of the U.S. Victorious class built under license by Mitsui. These ships perform a variety of peacetime oceanographic survey and research functions but their main purpose is acoustic detection of enemy submarines.

Hibiki is 234.5 foot vessel with a twin hull. It is unarmed but streams a SURTASS towed array sonar system. The usual crew is 35 plus 5 US Navy technicians. Its home port is currently Kobe.

This is obviously a much different vessel than the namesake whose adventures we are currently following. Interestingly two of our Hibiki’s three sister ships, Inazuma and Ikazuchi, have been reincarnated as Murasame-class large frigates. I don’t believe Japan currently has an Akatsuki.

---

AOS Hibiki:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3417
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/4/2008 1:42:51 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

I'm glad he made it and thus that you did too!

It got me thinking, though. World War II had such an impact on so many things that it's possible that a great many of us would not be here had the war not occured. My parents met, for example, because my grandparents moved to Southern California to work for Consolidated building B-24s.

On the other hand, who knows how many forum mates might have been here but aren't because their parent or grandparent died in the war? I guess we all exist at the end of a long chain of chance and coincidence. When you think of it that way it's as if we have all beaten odds that dwarf the chances of winning the lottery.

But thoughts like that make my head hurt. When that happens I usually stop philosophizing and go eat a chocolate chip cookie. It helps put things in perspective.

If it hadn't been for the war, my grandparents would have never met. My grandmother was Scottish, and my Grandfather met her in London. He was part of the ground force of the 8th Air Force.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3418
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/4/2008 1:49:23 AM   
Shark7

Also, the sonar on the modern Hibiki has about a 3 CZ detection capability. In simple terms, it can 'hear' a submarine from well over 100 nautical miles away in the right conditions. While itself it is completely unarmed, it would be a very valuable asset in time of war.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3419
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/4/2008 5:02:40 PM   
mdiehl

It is obvious that Cuttlefish is a man of taste and sophistication who is well-read in the lore of Spider Man. Great work CF, keep it coming!

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3420
Page:   <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI