Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/29/2008 8:38:57 PM   
princep01

Cuttlefish, I urge you to write at your chosen pace.  The quality of your work is quite remarkable and should not be compromised by the bleatings of fandom.

However, I have a question.  Over the last several weeks, there seems to be an increasing sense of forboding and gloom among the Japanese characters.  Some of this is expected as the course of the war and its gnawing tensions would lead to that mood.  Nonetheless, do you sense that the fact that you know what is happens six months in the future of these characters affects your current writing.  In effect, do future events (to us) affect your mood and how you write your characters now? 

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3511
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/29/2008 9:51:46 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Cuttlefish, I urge you to write at your chosen pace.  The quality of your work is quite remarkable and should not be compromised by the bleatings of fandom.

However, I have a question.  Over the last several weeks, there seems to be an increasing sense of forboding and gloom among the Japanese characters.  Some of this is expected as the course of the war and its gnawing tensions would lead to that mood.  Nonetheless, do you sense that the fact that you know what is happens six months in the future of these characters affects your current writing.  In effect, do future events (to us) affect your mood and how you write your characters now? 

That's a fair question. I think the short answer is that a little bit of that foreknowledge finds it way into my writing but not too much. I try to actively guard against it and just write from the crew's current perspective. Certainly Japan's increasing losses and slow but steady retreat give them things to be worried about.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 3512
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/29/2008 10:28:51 PM   
thegreatwent

Thanks for all the effort CF. This terrific drama adds color to my own WitP gaming experience so a doff my cap to you and will wait patiently for the next installment

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3513
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 7:38:50 AM   
histgamer

Makes me wonder what an AAR for Silent Hunter III would be like... If only I had your talent. You have written this so well I could never try something like this for WITP but perhaps Silent Hunter... Perhaps some day. Hell the whole crew has a name in that game so I wouldnt even have to make them up. 

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 3514
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 11:58:41 AM   
tocaff

I often wonder which takes more time and effort, the game or the AAR.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 3515
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 12:32:33 PM   
undercovergeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Makes me wonder what an AAR for Silent Hunter III would be like... If only I had your talent. You have written this so well I could never try something like this for WITP but perhaps Silent Hunter... Perhaps some day. Hell the whole crew has a name in that game so I wouldnt even have to make them up. 

i forget its name at the moment, so my reply is pointless, but there is a great AAR over at subsim hq for SH3, the guy has factored in the raid on St.Nazairre and has tried to keep historical real world events along side his story - very immersive and led me to buy the game. Im sure his sub is called the laughing swordfish if this helps you find him

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 3516
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 2:20:09 PM   
BigDuke66

Is it this one?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=83139

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 3517
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 2:30:18 PM   
undercovergeek

well my hat goes off to you to find it with such p*** poor information!!!

yes, thats it, a very good read - now im not saying its Hibiki standard but its very good - enjoy if youre interested

and apologies to CF for advertising other AARs in his excellent thread

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 3518
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 9:31:10 PM   
Cuttlefish

August 12, 1944

Course: North
Attached to: TF 23
Mission: Air combat
System Damage: 2
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 348

Orders: Strike Allied shipping at and around Ulithi

---

Ensign Izu enters the officer’s wardroom and casually tosses his cap onto the table, where it lands upside-down. The table’s only occupant, Ensign Konada, stares at it over the book he is reading while Izu prepares a cup of tea. Finally Konada can stand it no longer. He picks up the cap, brushes it off, and sets it down right-side up precisely in the middle of the table.

Izu finishes his tea and turns towards the table just as the ship gives a lurch. Izu compensates but a small amount of tea still sloshes out of his cup.

“It’s that damned quartering sea,” he says, sitting down. Konada nods in understanding. The sea is running fairly strongly from the southeast and as the waves overtake the ship Hibiki’s stern tends to fall off into the trough. This not only causes the ship to lurch but gives the helmsman fits keeping the destroyer exactly on course.

“I wonder if it will be like this all the way back to Japan,” Konada says.

“We aren’t going back to Japan,” says Izu. “Not yet, anyway. We just got a signal from Ozawa. All ships are to hold position off Legaspi. We’re going to be steaming in circles again.”

“I see,” says Konada. “What is the captain’s mood?”

Izu shrugs. “He just set his jaw a little and acknowledged the order,” he says. “You know the captain. He does not conceal his temper very well so he is probably resigned to these random movements.”

“Apparently random,” corrects Konada a little stiffly. “No doubt Admiral Ozawa knows what he is doing.”

Izu sips his tea, timing the movement to the roll of the ship. “Oh, no doubt,” he says. “That’s what all those bars on an admiral’s sleeve mean, after all, that they are never as confused and uncertain as the rest of us.”

Konada studies Izu’s face but cannot tell if his fellow ensign is being sarcastic or not. He decides to let it go. Instead he looks over at the small puddle of tea Izu spilled. The movement of the ship has given it a shape something like an octopus. “Shall we clean that up?” he asks.

“No,” says Izu casually. “Things like that are why the gods gave mops to enlisted men.”

“Ah,” says Konada. He looks back down at his book for a moment, then glances back over at the puddle. Izu sips his tea. Finally Konada can stand it no longer. He goes over to the counter, grabs a rag, and cleans up the spill. Izu says nothing but only sips his tea again, an action that also conceals the small smile on his face.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3519
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 10:45:58 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

“No,” says Izu casually. “Things like that are why the gods gave mops to enlisted men.”

I have run into many an officer like that. Ones who feel that the enlisted are their personal servants. Generally, that attitude gets corrected in due course.

I remember one young ensign who was a guest pilot on my crew. We were to fly to Midway for an extended operation. Now, generally speaking, unless you had birds or stars on your collar, you loaded your own bags. Not this young ensign. He told the ordnanceman that his bags were in the duty office and to make sure they got loaded onto the plane.

The ordnanceman couldn't refuse the order. So he loaded them onto the plane... into the unheated bombbay. Do you know how cold the bombbay gets at 25,000 ft? And how low the air pressure is? Well, it gets cold enough to cause any liquid (booze, aftershave, etc) to freeze and break the container. Plus aerosol cans have a nasty habit of spraying their contents all over the place due to low pressure. Deodarant, shaving cream, all that good stuff.

Needless to say that by the time we reached Midway, this young ensign's bags were a mess! He never again told any one to load his bags!

And to morale of the story is to always load your own bags... and never, ever mess with an ordnanceman!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3520
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 11:28:10 PM   
tocaff

Creative ways of obeying orders have trained many to think twice.  

Todd

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 3521
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/30/2008 11:30:50 PM   
thegreatwent

In addition to ordinance NCOs do not annoy Mess, Supply or Motorpool Sergeants. You just end up hurting yourself

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3522
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 12:35:47 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

I have run into many an officer like that. Ones who feel that the enlisted are their personal servants. Generally, that attitude gets corrected in due course.

I remember one young ensign who was a guest pilot on my crew. We were to fly to Midway for an extended operation. Now, generally speaking, unless you had birds or stars on your collar, you loaded your own bags. Not this young ensign. He told the ordnanceman that his bags were in the duty office and to make sure they got loaded onto the plane.

The ordnanceman couldn't refuse the order. So he loaded them onto the plane... into the unheated bombbay. Do you know how cold the bombbay gets at 25,000 ft? And how low the air pressure is? Well, it gets cold enough to cause any liquid (booze, aftershave, etc) to freeze and break the container. Plus aerosol cans have a nasty habit of spraying their contents all over the place due to low pressure. Deodarant, shaving cream, all that good stuff.

Needless to say that by the time we reached Midway, this young ensign's bags were a mess! He never again told any one to load his bags!

And to morale of the story is to always load your own bags... and never, ever mess with an ordnanceman!

Chez

Good story! In fairness to Izu, though, I think he relates to the crew better than that. He was just trying (successfully) to tweak Konada.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 3523
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 12:37:47 AM   
Cuttlefish

August 13, 1944

Course: Holding position
System Damage: 3
Fuel: 310

---

“The storm knocked us about a bit, sir,” Chief Engineer Sakati tells his captain, “but it did us no serious damage. There’s lots of little things like the aft davit getting bent. Mostly it will give the lads something to do. The engines are in fair shape.”

“Good,” says Captain Ishii. “What about weapons?”

“All good, sir,” says Lieutenant Kuwaki. “The machine guns on the foredeck needed some work but they’re fine now.” Sitting next to him Lieutenant Sugiyura nods.

“We can torpedo anything we can find, sir,” he says. “Or that finds us.”

“Any injuries among the crew?” Ishii asks.

“A few bumps and bruises, sir,” says Lieutenant JG Nakagawa. “The usual. I only have one crewman in the dispensary right now. His symptoms are strange but not serious. I haven’t figured out yet what’s wrong with him.”

“Let me guess,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “Seaman Shoji?”

“Actually no sir,” says Nakagawa. “I haven’t seen Shoji for some time. He’s one of yours, Sugiyura, a torpedoman named Chuyo.”

Sugiyura nods. “Yes, I made him go see you,” he says. “Keep me posted, will you?” Nakagawa nods.

“Very good, then,” says Ishii. “All of you please have your departments support Lieutenant Sakati in making any necessary repairs. Dismissed.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3524
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 6:35:08 PM   
Cuttlefish

August 14, 1944

Course: South
Fuel: 435

---

“What’s next, Doctor?” Chuyo asks. The torpedoman’s face is unhealthily pale and every now and then he is wracked by tremors.

“Call me Lieutenant, please,” says Chief Medic Nakagawa. “I am not actually a doctor. And to answer your question, I am going to give you a full examination.”

“Yes, Lieutenant,” says Chuyo. He watches Nakagawa unlock a cabinet and rummage around inside. “Sir, you may not be a doctor but you have…you have had training, right?”

“Of course,” says Nakagawa. “Not only have I had training in medicine at the naval academy, I was involved in medicine before the war.”

“Oh?’ says Chuyo. “What did you do before the war, sir?”

“I was a veterinarian,” says Nakagawa. “Large animal medicine, to be exact.” He pulls on a heavy leather glove. “Now, let us proceed to the examination.”

Even more color drains out of Chuyo’s face. He utters a moan, then his eyes roll up in his head and he pitches forward out of his chair. Only by springing forward is the startled Nakagawa able to save him from landing face first on the steel deck.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3525
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 7:02:20 PM   
vettim89

and

Can you guess what I do for a living by my handle? Shoulder length palpation gloves FTW

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3526
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 7:57:56 PM   
Mynok

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3527
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 8:15:43 PM   
Shark7

Its all in fun until someone passes out.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3528
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 8:24:33 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

August 14, 1944

Even more color drains out of Chuyo’s face. He utters a moan, then his eyes roll up in his head and he pitches forward out of his chair. Only by springing forward is the startled Nakagawa able to save him from landing face first on the steel deck.

Sounds like something above and beyond seasickness. Incidentally, I take it the TF has successfully refueled?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3529
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 9:48:44 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

August 14, 1944

Sounds like something above and beyond seasickness. Incidentally, I take it the TF has successfully refueled?

Maybe he got into the torpedo fuel?

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

Post #: 3530
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 10:08:45 PM   
Cuttlefish

August 15, 1944

Course: Southeast
Fuel: 397

---

After the task forces refuel their destroyers Admiral Ozawa orders them to turn around and move back to the south. When they reach a point east of the southern tip of Samar they change course once again – this time directly towards Ulithi.

If Ozawa hoped to lull the Allied forces into a false sense of security by pretending to withdraw, however, he is doomed to disappointment. Enemy reconnaissance planes pick up the Japanese early and shadow them throughout the day. Worse, friendly planes based at Palau report that there are few ships at Ulithi and that the enemy now has an operational airfield there. The atoll is well protected by fighters.

Ozawa finally throws in the towel and orders his ships to return to Japan. When night falls both task forces change course to the north and head towards Kagoshima.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3531
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 10:15:25 PM   
John 3rd

Stay with it CF.  It gives me a reason to think of other things!  Stay with your own pace and keep on rolling...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3532
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 10:49:28 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Stay with it CF.  It gives me a reason to think of other things!  Stay with your own pace and keep on rolling...

Always glad to help! Starting today the game is on hold for one month so that gives me some leisure to write entries and get caught up without feeling pressure about it. Not that I'm necessarily pleased by the interruption; the game continues to be very competitive and interesting. But wolffpack's armored cav unit is spending October at the NTC (National Training Center) in Fort Irwin, where he will be too busy practising real warfare to indulge in the electronic kind.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3533
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 11:03:42 PM   
FeurerKrieg

That is good news for us readers! More entries about our favorite destroyer. And maybe a couple more about the detective guy in that other thread too...

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3534
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/1/2008 11:53:24 PM   
Cuttlefish

August 16, 1944

Course: North
Fuel: 358

Orders: Return to Kagoshima

---

“Sir, you asked me to keep you informed about Seaman Chuyo,” Lieutenant JG Nakagawa says.

“I did,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “Do you have a report?”

Nakagawa nods. “Yes sir,” he says. “The good part is that I don’t believe that Chuyo is ill. In other words, we don’t have to worry about disease sweeping through the crew again.”

“I am relieved to hear that!” says the ship’s executive officer. “Once was quite enough. But if he isn’t ill what is wrong with him, then?”

“Sir, I think he has been poisoned.”

“Poisoned!”

“Yes sir. Not intentionally, but poisoned nonetheless.”

“Please explain, Nakagawa.”

“Sir, I will,” says the medic.” It seems that for that last couple of weeks Seaman Chuyo has suffered from dizziness. Lately he has even blacked out a couple of times. His sense of balance is off and he is suffering from spells of shaking.

“At first I looked for a disease that matched the symptoms, suspecting some form of palsy or other nervous disorder. But none of his vital signs matched and he has no sign of fever or infection. That left some toxic agent as the likely culprit. No one else on board has similar symptoms so I thought I could rule out an environmental agent. That led me to closely examine his bedding and uniform.”

“His uniform?” asks Lieutenant Miharu.

“Yes sir. I was looking for evidence of insect activity, perhaps some kind of tick. I strongly suspect that there are insects and diseases in the tropics that are still unknown to modern science. I didn’t find anything like that but I did notice a faint but peculiar sharp smell coming from the fabric, a sort of chemical odor. When I questioned Chuyo about it he said it was because of his brother.”

Lieutenant Miharu raises an eyebrow and indicates that Nakagawa should continue.

“It turns out that Chuyo’s brother is a pilot for a unit stationed at Kobe. Sir, you know that pilots spend long hours in the cockpit. Their uniforms suffer as a result, becoming foul and stained with everything from sweat to ur…”

“Yes, I can imagine,” says Miharu. “What does that have to do with Chuyo?”

“Well, it seems that an enterprising scientist recently came up with a way to impregnate pilot’s uniforms with a chemical mixture that keeps them fresh and creased almost no matter what. It has started seeing widespread use. The brother offered to give Chuyo’s uniforms the same treatment.”

“And you think…”

“Yes sir. I think these chemicals have adversely affected Chuyo’s central nervous system. I have sealed the uniforms and packed them away for further testing when we reach Japan.”

“Will he recover?” asks Lieutenant Miharu.

“I don’t know. I’m not even sure that’s what happened. But sir, if I am correct…”

“All those pilots,” says Miharu, his eyes widening. “Oh my god…”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3535
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/2/2008 12:32:19 AM   
Shark7

That's about par for the course, if the enemy doesn't kill you, your own supply corps will...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3536
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/2/2008 12:32:19 AM   
thegreatwent

Brilliant

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3537
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/2/2008 1:08:55 AM   
tocaff

Well this could be a great way of explaining away the pilot bug.  Now we know that it's a chemical agent that's causing all of those Japanese pilots to disappear from the rolls.

Todd

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 3538
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/2/2008 8:41:11 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Ozawa finally throws in the towel and orders his ships to return to Japan. When night falls both task forces change course to the north and head towards Kagoshima.

This adds up to a marginal Allied victory. Fuel has been burned that Japan would be better off having preserved.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3539
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/2/2008 9:40:52 PM   
princep01

Perhaps you missed the excerpt from the future book explaining how Japan lost 5 CVEs and some of their consorts in this campaign. Also, it must be considered that the Allies gained and resupplied the island, built an AB there and suffered little in the way of losses.

Given these events, Captain, I'd award the Allies a greater level of victory than "a marginal Allied victory". Perhaps it was not a disaster, but, in my humble view, it was close to one.

Post #: 3540
Page:   <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI