Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Not Again!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Not Again! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Not Again! - 4/13/2007 2:17:17 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 8, 1942

Course: West
Attached to: TF 87
Mission: Surface Combat
System Damage: 26
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 439

Orders: Return to Japan for repairs.

---

At dawn Hibiki exits Kwajalein lagoon via the south passage. Once clear of the atoll the destroyer turns west. The seas are calm as she accelerates to 24 knots. Her long wake trails behind her as she leaves behind the sand and palm trees of Kwajalein and begins the long solitary journey back to Japan.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 481
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/13/2007 2:20:02 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 9, 1942

Course: North
Fuel: 410

---

On the bridge of the Hibiki:

Lieutenant Miharu: Sir, you asked to be notified when we were north of Ponape. We are now 95 miles due north of the island.

Captain Ishii: Thank you, Exec. *raises voice slightly* Helm! Change course, due north. *again to the lieutenant* I’m not sure we needed to detour around the American submarine patrols anyway. Intelligence reports indicate that they are pulling their submarines away from the Marshalls and in towards Wake. Still, better safe than sorry.

Lieutenant Miharu: I think that is wise, sir. We don’t want to take a torpedo in our current condition.

Captain Ishii: I don’t want to take a torpedo under any conditions, Exec. Make sure the lookouts stay sharp. How does our hull patch seem to be holding up?

Lieutenant Miharu: We are taking a little water, but the pumps are handling it. Seas are fairly calm and the glass is rising, with no reports of heavy weather ahead.

Captain Ishii: Good, let’s hope it stays that way. It would be nice to have another ship with us in case we run into trouble, but that would have meant staying at Kwajalein for at least another week. I want to get back into this damned war.

Lieutenant Miharu: We will, sir. They can’t keep us out of action for long. As my grandmother always said, “fall down seven times, stand up eight.”

Captain Ishii: A wise woman, your grandmother. Yes, that’s us all right.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 482
RE: Not Again! - 4/13/2007 2:20:18 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I wonder if IJN Chiefs have goat lockers.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 483
RE: Not Again! - 4/13/2007 2:22:01 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Miharu's grandmother was Jewish?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 484
RE: Not Again! - 4/13/2007 7:13:39 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Miharu's grandmother was Jewish?

Oy vay! No, his grandmother was a Japanese girl from a small village in the Nagano prefecture. "Nana korobi ya oki" or "fall down seven, get up eight" is a very old Japanese proverb.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 485
RE: Not Again! - 4/13/2007 7:17:44 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Goyim everywhere!

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 486
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/13/2007 10:41:26 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Lieutenant Miharu doesn't seem to be worried about the secret police back in Japan. Is he putting on a brave front, or does he know something?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 487
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 2:26:53 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Lieutenant Miharu doesn't seem to be worried about the secret police back in Japan. Is he putting on a brave front, or does he know something?

We will get the lieutenant's thoughts on that before the Hibiki reaches Tokyo. He seems to be in the clear, however, even if he doesn't know it yet. Read on...

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 488
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 2:30:08 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 10, 1942

Fuel: 382

---

The western sky is blotched with a bloody red sunset as Midshipman Izu stands on the pitching foredeck of the Hibiki. Coming straight at the destroyer is a large formation of Dauntless dive bombers. A klaxon is sounding and everywhere crewmen are scrambling to their posts. Black puffs of anti aircraft fire begin to appear around the bombers, but none are hit.

Hibiki does not change course but plows through the mountainous seas straight towards the bombers. The planes reach their tip over point overhead and one after another begin their dives. To Izu the bombs slung underneath the planes look huge, larger than the aircraft are designed to carry.

None are hit or hindered by the anti aircraft fire. Midshipman Izu attempts to draw his sidearm to fire at the diving planes. What he is wearing, however, is his kai-gunto, his officer’s short sword. He pulls it out and waves it at the oncoming lead plane, screaming defiance.

The first Dauntless releases its bomb. The lethal cylinder seems to hang in the air for a moment, then it begins to descend. It comes straight at Izu, growing in size until it fills all his vision. Izu stands transfixed, unable to run or move, until the world around him comes apart in noise and jagged bursts of light.

---

In the junior officer’s bunkroom Midshipman Izu’s eyes open wide. He stares up at the metal ceiling close overhead, breathing hoarsely. A single dim light casts shadows through the small room. Close by someone is snoring.

Izu closes his eyes tight and attempts to slow his breathing and control the pounding of his heart. His right hand clenches a twist of the coarse blanket he is lying on. This is the third time he has had the same dream since the attack on Hibiki off Wake.

For the next two hours, until he goes back on duty, he lies awake. He is afraid to go back to sleep, afraid to dream again. Afraid that the dreams will reveal once more that he is not fit to be an officer in the Imperial Japanese Navy. Afraid that they will reveal that he is, instead, a coward.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 489
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 2:32:02 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 11, 1942

Fuel: 353

---

Lieutenant Umeda of the Tokeitai stops by the desk of a fellow officer before leaving for the Tokyo docks. He is on his way to board a transport bound for Bangkok as the first step of his journey to the Nicobar Islands.

“I hear the Hibiki is on the way back here,” he says. “Have you heard what action will be taken?” The other officer spreads his hands apologetically.

“None,” he says.

“What!” says Umeda. “None!”

“Rather than admit that you fell into the harbor, to save face we reported to the Tokko that the results of the interview were negative,” says the officer.

“I was thrown into the harbor!”

“That has not been proven. Witnesses say otherwise.” Umeda clenches his fists. “Hey,” continues the officer, “I have a question about Nicobar. I heard a story that no one who has gone to talk to the natives there has ever returned alive. Is that true?” Lieutenant Umeda stares at him for a moment in baffled rage, then picks up his duffel bag and stomps off. As he travels towards the docks he vows to himself that Captain Ishii has not heard the last of him, not by a long shot.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 490
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 6:53:54 AM   
ChezDaJez

This is better than a good novel...

Great writing, Cuttlefish. I don't know what you do for a living but I think you may have missed your calling...

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 491
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 6:57:29 AM   
marky

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

This is better than a good novel...

Great writing, Cuttlefish. I don't know what you do for a living but I think you may have missed your calling...

Chez

agreed!

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 492
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 6:59:00 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

He writes nutritional information on cereal boxes or something like that I think, but I agree with you senior chief. His 'serial' is gripping - I get the DT's when he hasn't updated in a while.

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 4/14/2007 7:00:07 AM >

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 493
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 9:45:41 AM   
goodboyladdie

I'll buy the book!

(but hold on a second - if he starts to invest all his time in a novel he'll not have time for WitP!)

< Message edited by goodboyladdie -- 4/14/2007 9:47:58 AM >

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 494
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 3:34:32 PM   
ny59giants

We are seeing our own Tom Clancy in this AAR.  

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 495
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/14/2007 4:05:16 PM   
goodboyladdie

He's much better than Clancy!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 496
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/15/2007 11:24:53 AM   
Cuttlefish

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments and encouragement since I started this thing. I'm glad it's gone over so well. I gotta draw the line at comparisons to Clancy, though. Yeesh. It's appreciated, but that just sets the bar too high. If I had days to write and revise this stuff then it might approach a professional level, but as it is I have to work fast not to fall too far behind the game. Speaking of which, back to the Hibiki...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 497
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/15/2007 11:27:41 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 12, 1942

Fuel: 318

---

"There's a single wake down there, 40 degrees to port," saids Warrant Officer Hachiro Konda's copilot, pointing. Kondo looked and saw the narrow trail in the sun-sparkled water. "Looks like it's headed north."

"Lets check it out," said Kondo. He banked the G4M1 bomber to the left and followed the wake north.

Kondo did not think this would prove to be anything other than a Japanese ship, not so far into waters controlled by the Empire of Japan. The wide ocean between Saipan, where Kondo's G2/4th Chutai was based, and Marcus Island was heavily traveled by Japanese ships shuttling back and forth between Japan and the Marshall Islands. Kondo's unit was based in Saipan to guard against the possibility of any American ships slipping west from Wake Island, but that possibility was very remote right now, with Wake virtually under siege.

Kondo liked the duty. He loved flying his plane, and while he was not likely to sink any enemy ships or earn a lot of glory on this assignment, he had the sky around him and the sea below him every day. And there were worse places to be based than Saipan.

After just a couple of moments a single small ship came into view. Kondo's copilot had the glasses on it.

"It's a destroyer," he said, "one of ours. Looks like one of the Special Types, a Fubuki or Akatsuki class."

"Ah," said Kondo. "That will be the Hibiki. She's supposed to be in the area. I heard she took a bomb at Wake and is headed back home for repairs."

Kondo brought the plane down from 9000 feet to 5000 feet as they flew over the destroyer. He was careful not to appear to be making an attack run. Accidents had been known to happen, and he would not blame the crew of a destroyer damaged in an air attack for being a little trigger happy. As he passed overhead he waggled his wings in salute. The destroyer was making decent speed, damaged or not, and looked trim and lethal in the sunshine.

Kondo banked the G4M1 back on course to the east. He wished the destroyer and its crew well, but he was glad he was up here and they were down there. Give him the sky any day. He brought the plane back up to 9000 feet and gave it a little more throttle. They had a lot more ocean to search before heading for home.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 498
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/15/2007 11:33:28 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 13, 1942

Fuel: 282

---

Seaman Second Class Shiro Kuramata is off duty and sitting in the sunshine on the deck of the Hibiki, his back against the aft turret. Next to him is a small tray of five-sided wooden shogi pieces. Shiro is using a small knife to shape another piece, his hands working nimbly and quickly. Small shaving of cucumber wood fall to the deck.

A shadow suddenly falls over Shiro. He looks up, squinting against the sun, and sees the tall narrow shape of Lieutenant Miharu. Shiro drops his knife and piece of wood and starts to scramble to his feet.

"No, don't get up," says the lieutenant. "I hate to disturb a craftsman at work." Shiro relaxes. "May I see the pieces?"

"Yes sir, of course," says Shiro, surprised an officer would even bother to ask. Lieutenant Miharu picks up the tray and looks through the pieces. Some are polished and a few even have the laquer symbols painted on them. Others are still just rough pieces of wood.

"Very nice," says the lieutenant. "Do you play?"

"No sir, not really very well," admits Shiro. "But I like making the sets."

"Ah," says the officer. "Are you from Yamagato prefecture, Seaman Kuramata?"

"Yes sir," says Shiro. "Tendo. It's kind of in the blood, sir." Lieutenant Miharu smiles and looks around.

"Well, it's a nice day for it," he says. "Carry on, Kuramata."

"Yes sir," says Shiro. He resumes his work as Lieutenant Miharu departs. He wonders if the Lieutenant would like a set. But maybe that would be seen as trying to curry favor.

---

When he finally returns to his cabin Lieutenant Miharu pauses for a moment, then rummages around in a small chest. He sets aside a stack of books and then takes out a small bundle, one of the few personal possessions he has brought on board. He unwraps it, revealing a trophy in the form of an upright shogi piece. The plaque on the base proclaims him the Naval Academy shogi champion for 1928. Lieutenant Miharu looks at it for a moment.

He misses the game, but this is not a time for games. It is a time for war. He wraps up the trophy and puts it back in the chest.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 499
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/15/2007 5:24:43 PM   
kaleun

You know, apparently Tom Clancy doesn't even write his own stories anymore. So to compare you to him would be insulting, to you.
This is great work!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 500
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/16/2007 2:06:26 PM   
Barb

It looks that one of my new AAR ship is a bit luckyer than your Hibiki.  Two night combats with superior Japanese force (2xBB,CL,6xDD IJN vs US 1xCL,9DD) wihtout a single hit on it. Although 5 US flushdeckers were lost.
AAR: War and rememberance by barb. PBEM Barb vs Elladan, BigB mod

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 501
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/17/2007 1:38:05 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 14, 1942

Fuel: 254

---

Captain Ishii and Lieutenant Miharu are in the Captain’s cabin going over several routine matters.

Lieutenant Miharu: …and so if we shift Seaman Taniushi to the forward ammunition hoist we can leave the others on damage control.

Captain Ishii: *nods* Fine, Exec. Do it that way. Anything else?

Lieutenant Miharu: No sir. Well, there is one other thing.

Captain Ishii: Yes?

Lieutenant Miharu: It’s Midshipman Izu, sir. I’ve been worried about him since we left Kwajalein. He seems to be on edge and his performance is off. If I’m any judge, sir, he isn’t sleeping much.

Captain Ishii: Really? His actions during the attack were commendable. The last time we talked about him you agreed with me that he deserved a promotion.

Lieutenant Miharu: Yes sir. It’s been since then that he’s had trouble.

Captain Ishii: I see. All right, I will look into it.

Lieutenant Miharu: Very good, sir. Sir, something else has been worrying me.

Captain Ishii: Go on.

Lieutenant Miharu: Well sir, we had not planned on being back in Japan nearly so soon. I was worried about that Tokeitai lieutenant you threw overboard.

Captain Ishii: *sighs* I probably shouldn’t have done that. But he angered me, trying to boss me around on my own bridge. At any rate that’s on me, Exec, not on you.

Lieutenant Miharu: Sir, it’s my problem. I appreciate you trying to protect me, sir, but I don’t want to see you in trouble on my account. It’s my fight, sir.

Captain Ishii: *eyes glinting* Exec, if I thought you had done something to deserve having the Tokeitai or the Tokko or any other of that damned rabble give you trouble I might throw you overboard myself. But you haven’t. Further, you’re a valued member of my crew and I am not about to try and run this ship without you. That makes this my fight. If you - or your wife - have any further trouble from those people let me know.

Lieutenant Miharu: Yes sir. Sir, thank you very much.

Captain Ishii: They’re idiots. If they are that eager to find enemies of Japan let them be first off the barges at Wake. They’ll find all the enemies they can handle then.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 502
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/17/2007 1:39:51 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 15, 1942

Fuel: 225

---

From the diary of Seaman First Class Taiki Takahashi:

We’re almost home. The repairs to the ship will probably take several weeks. That should give me a chance to visit home and see Noburo. At least, I think he’s probably home. He was a little vague about his injuries, but they didn’t sound minor. I have tried not to worry too much, but it somehow seems harder not to worry the closer I get to seeing him.

Word is we are headed for Kobe again. That’s okay. Riku seems pleased about it, he says he has contacts there. What kind of contacts? I know people there too, but that doesn’t seem to be what Riku means. I wish I knew what he was up to. It seems silly to think he could be a spy. Unless…

Everyone on the ship knows what happened to that Tokeitai officer when we left Tokyo last time, but no one is really sure why. But something strange must be going on. What if Riku is spying for our side? What if he is really a member of the Tokeitai?

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/29/2007 9:31:34 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 503
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/17/2007 1:40:59 AM   
kaleun

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 504
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/17/2007 1:44:19 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 16, 1942

System Damage: 27
Fuel: 197

---

Captain Ishii is seated at the small desk in his cabin, writing a letter. There is a knock at the door.

“Enter,” says Ishii. The door opens to reveal Midshipman Izu. The midshipman steps forward and salutes sharply.

“Sit down, Izu,” says the captain, waving towards to a chair beside the small desk, the only other chair in the cabin. Izu steps over to it and sits down, though his posture remains stiff and he looks uncomfortable.

Captain Ishii leans back and looks at the young man. He notes that Izu’s eyes are bloodshot, and that there are lines around them that were not there before. It gives the young officer a troubled look, almost a haunted look. It is a look that Captain Ishii has seen before.

“I sent for you because I wanted to let you know personally that I am submitting your promotion to Ensign as soon as we reach Kobe,” says the captain. “It should be official before we sail again.”

“Sir, I…” begins Izu, but Captain Ishii holds up a hand.

“No need for thanks,” he says. “You have served this ship well. I am told that your prompt action during the air attack off Wake was vital in sparing us worse damage.” Midshipman Izu takes a deep breath.

“Sir, your words are kind, but I simply did my job. I don’t think…I really don’t believe that I am ready for promotion yet,” he finishes almost desperately. Captain Ishii shakes his head.

“I am the captain of a vessel in the Imperial Japanese Navy,” he says. “I do not speak out of kindness. I can’t afford to be that sentimental. If I think you are ready to be promoted to Ensign than that is the job I think you are capable of doing. That is the job you will have to do, as we must all do what has to be done in this war.”

“Yes sir,” says Midshipman Izu. To Captain Ishii there is a tone of resignation in his voice. The captain leans back again.

“Well” he says conversationally, “at least we will all come out of it with stories to bore our children and grandchildren. For example, have I ever told you about what happened to me at the China Flower warehouse in Shanghai, back when I was an ensign?” Midshipman Izu shakes his head.

“No sir,” he says.

“This was back in 1924,” says Ishii. “Long before the China Incident, of course. As I said I was just an ensign, aboard the Inazuma. The Chinese government was very weak at the time, and we were on patrol in the Yangtze River to help guard Japanese nationals and business interests there.

“We got word that bandits had attacked the China Flower warehouse complex. This was a Japanese company, and we were sent to chase them away. It was fairly routine for the time. Once a Japanese destroyer showed up the bandits would disperse. Anyway, we reached the area and I was part of the boat crew sent to land a dozen naval landing force troops on the dock while Inazuma stood off and looked threatening.

“As I said, all very routine, but this time the bandits did not cooperate. As the troops moved down the dock towards the nearest warehouse rifle fire broke out. One of the soldiers fell.

“I was on the dock with a mooring line when the shooting started. I don’t even remember thinking about it, but the next thing I knew I had picked up the fallen man’s rifle and was moving up the dock with the soldiers, shooting back. As we advanced the man in front of me took a bullet through the neck. I didn’t even know I was covered with his blood until after the battle.

“I led the troops into the warehouse and we killed or drove off all the bandits. I got a promotion out of that. Do you want to know the funny thing about it, though, Izu?” Izu, enthralled by the Captain’s tale, only nods at first, then hastily clears his throat and answers yes.

“The funny thing is that at the time I was not scared at all. It happened too fast. But to this day I sometimes dream about it. The bullets are zipping past me and the neck of the man in front of me explodes in blood and I am always convinced I am about to die. I wake up with my heart pounding after these dreams, and getting back to sleep is always difficult.” He shrugs.

“Well, I’ve doubtless bored you long enough with my old war stories,” he says, and stands. Midshipman Izu stands as well. “Keep up the good work, Izu.”

“Yes sir. Thank you,” says Izu, saluting. Captain Ishii returns the salute crisply and Izu exits, looking thoughtful.

After he departs Captain Ishii sit back down. He rubs his eyes with the thumb and forefinger of one hand, then picks up a pen and returns to his letter.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 505
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/17/2007 1:49:15 AM   
kaleun

Very, very good.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 506
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/17/2007 10:34:43 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Impressive. So Capt. Ishii can treat post-traumatic stress syndome?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 507
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/18/2007 2:55:15 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Impressive. So Capt. Ishii can treat post-traumatic stress syndome?

We shall see. My opponent, who has served a couple of tours in Iraq, has my permission to view all but the most recent pages of the AAR. Among his other comments was one to the effect that the crew of the Hibiki might have issues dealing with stress, especially when at home.

That got me to thinking. Contemporary Japanese attitudes towards combat stress were pretty simple: they never, ever acknowledged that it existed. From accounts I’ve read it’s pretty clear they were not immune to it. But cultural attitudes prevented them from really even thinking about it. American attitudes about the issue at the time were not exactly enlightened, but even Patton got in trouble for slapping those soldiers. In Japan he would have been well within his rights to take out his revolver and shoot them. Japanese troops were expected to be willing to die. What they could not do was show cowardice or fear.

Anyway, I wondered how a Japanese commander might deal with the problem if he recognized the signs. He probably wouldn’t think of it in the terms we think of it today, but he might have circumspect ways to try and deal with it, ways that would not even acknowledge there was a problem.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 508
RE: Home Again, Home Again - 4/18/2007 2:57:20 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 17, 1942

Fuel: 168

---

Hibiki rounds Shiono Point at the southern tip of the Kii Peninsula and heads north for the Inland Sea and Kobe. The crew is cheered to see Mt. Koya and to know that they are nearly home.

The temporary repairs made at Kwajalein have held up remarkably well, aided by good weather on the voyage. There has been no significant flooding. The number three boiler is beginning to make alarming wheezing noises, though, and Chief Engineer Sakati is relieved that the repairs he and his men have made are not going to need to hold up much longer.

While no enemy submarines have been spotted in the Inland Sea yet during the war the crew maintains a sharp lookout. They remember their encounter with a submarine not too far from here just a month ago, and have no desire to come to grief now that they are so close to home.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 509
In Drydock - 4/18/2007 2:59:06 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 18, 1942

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
Fuel: 475

Orders: Repair the ship and get back in the war.

---

By late afternoon Hibiki is in drydock at Kobe. It is estimated that repairs will take three to four weeks. This is the first time the destroyer has been out of the water since the war began, and while the opportunity permits her hull will be scraped, cleaned, and repainted. The hole in her side will be mended, and the damaged sections of her interior will be torn out and repaired. The pipes and fittings in the number three boiler room will be completely repaired and routine maintenance done on all the boilers and engines. Other routine maintenance work will be done as well.

Once again Captain Ishii authorizes rotating leaves for the crew, this time for one week. Those remaining on board will be kept very busy indeed with repair work.

For the moment Hibiki is out of the water and out of the war. As out of the war, at least, as it is possible to get in Japan in June of 1942. All around them the harbor bustles with war traffic, and information and rumor about the war dominates most conversations and news broadcasts. But right now no one is actively trying to kill them, and to the crew of the Hibiki that is the definition that really counts.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Not Again! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI