Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/12/2007 10:07:29 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 12, 1943

Course: Docked
Attached to: TF 36
Mission: Surface combat
System Damage: 3
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 418

Orders: Proceed to Lunga

---

The task force approaches Lunga late in the afternoon. There the survivors from Mikazuki and Kagero will be transferred ashore. Yugumo and Kasasagi will also be left there for temporary repairs while the other ships proceed on to Truk.

The two prisoners will also be sent ashore. Lieutenant Miharu goes to speak with them, and finds Riku and the senior of the two young officers in animated conversation.

“I still think,” the American is saying in his strange accent, “that most wars are ultimately caused by population pressure.”

“Yes, yes,” says Riku, “it is really what I am saying. Too many peoples, so not enough things. Not enough money. What people fight about is money.”

Lieutenant Miharu stops and listens. Ensign Turnby speaks to him in an aside.

“They’re talking about whether or not most wars are caused by economic factors,” he tells the lieutenant. “It’s been a pretty interesting discussion, really. Are all your sailors social theorists?” Lieutenant Miharu smiles.

“All sailors are, I think,” he says. “Certainly I have never met one who did not have strong ideas about what the admirals and politicians should be doing.” At this point Riku and the other American notice the lieutenant. Riku comes smartly to attention and salutes.

“We will soon be arriving at Guadalcanal,” Lieutenant Miharu tells the Americans. “You will be sent ashore there.”

“And what happens to us then?” asks the junior lieutenant.

“You will be turned over to the military police,” says Miharu. His face remains expressionless as far as the Americans can tell, but Riku notices a certain tension in the executive officer as he says this. “As you are both officers you will probably be sent to Japan, where you will wait out the rest of the war.” The Americans receive this news quietly.

“I regret there is no way to tell your father what has happened to you,” Miharu tells Turnby. “I would let him know, if I could.” Riku clears his throat, and Lieutenant Miharu turns his head to look at him.

“Yes, Seaman Ariga,” he says in Japanese. “You wish to say something?”

“Sir, it may be possible to send such a message,” says Riku. “If these men would care to write letters I believe I can see that they are delivered.” Hibiki’s executive officer fixes Riku with a piercing gaze.

“Indeed?” he murmurs. “Do I wish to know how you might do this, sailor?” Riku shifts uncomfortably. This is veering perilously close to secrets he hoped were safely buried.

“Sir,” he says, “as assistant to the quartermaster I talk to many people. Some of these people talk to other people. And so on, if you know what I mean, sir.”

“Perhaps I do,” says the lieutenant. “Tell me, Seaman Ariga, is there anything going on aboard Hibiki that would reflect badly on the honor of the ship or the crew?” Riku almost slumps in relief that the executive officer has phrased this question in the present tense.

“Sir,” he says, “I can tell you that there are no illegal activities taking place aboard ship.” He thinks for a second, and then adds “And, sir, I would be aware of them if there were.”

“Yes, I think you would,” says Miharu with almost a smile. “Very well.” He turns to the Americans again and switches once more to English.

“I am informed that if you would care to write letters to your families I can see they are delivered,” he tells them. “I will tell you now that I will read these letters before they leave the ship, and ask that you refrain from attempting to include any information of military value.”

The Americans accept these terms, and Lieutenant Miharu directs Riku to provide them with materials to write the letters.

---

Hibiki anchors off Lunga. Boats begin ferrying the rescued Japanese sailors ashore. Last to go are the Americans. Lieutenant Miharu, Riku, and an armed guard see them off. Miharu has their letters already safely tucked away.

“Goodbye,” he tells them. Ensign Turnby steps forward and salutes. Miharu returns it.

“Goodbye, Lieutenant,” Turnby says, and the two men shake hands. “It may sound a little strange, but…well, good luck.”

“Thank you,” says Miharu. “When you see you father again, after all this is over, give him my greetings.” Turnby nods.

“I’ll do that,” he says. The other officer exchanges farewells with both Riku and Lieutenant Miharu.

“Thanks for everything,” he says.

“Of course,” says Lieutenant Miharu. Riku grins.

“Perhaps I see you after the war, Lieutenant,” he tells him. “I look forward to continue our discussion.”

“I would enjoy that,” says the American. “And call me Jack. There’s not much point in being formal at this point, is there?”

The boat is waiting. The two Americans climb down into it and are soon on their way to Guadalcanal. If Riku notes the venomous look Lieutenant Miharu gives the Tokeitai officer in the boat he wisely says nothing.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1531
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/12/2007 10:33:38 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

“Lieutentant, if I may ask – where are we going?” says Turnby. Miharu turns back for a moment.

“Guadalcanal,” he answers, then leaves. Turnby shrugs.

“Never heard of the place,” he says to the other man.

Yet another brilliant touch! BTW, I managed to get "Letters From Iwo Jima" from Netflix as soon as the DVD was available. There's a "before the war" flashback scene that I think you'll enjoy comparing to your own.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1532
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/12/2007 11:52:42 PM   
kaleun

Note: This is meant as a compliment

Cuttlefish, after reading your AAR I find it hard to post mine to the same forum.

Perhaps we should have two AAR forums. One for Cuttlefish and a couple of others, and one for the rest of us.

Fine work.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1533
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/13/2007 1:45:45 AM   
Terminus

No illegal activities aboard the Hibiki... No Sir, nothing to see here...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1534
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/13/2007 8:18:18 AM   
okami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No illegal activities aboard the Hibiki... No Sir, nothing to see here...

No current activities, and thank Amaterasu for present tense language. He didn't even have to lie. And note that the officer was intelligent enough not too ask that he be informed of future indesgressions. The mark of a good officer.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1535
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/13/2007 2:29:28 PM   
tocaff

The storm that was gathering on the horizon is now looming ever closer to our heros aboard the Hibiki.  

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to okami)
Post #: 1536
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/14/2007 12:30:26 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 13, 1943

Course: Northwest
System Damage: 5
Fuel: 268

Orders: Proceed to Lunga

---

Note: I find the jump in system damage and fuel consumption this turn curious, since Hibiki only moved 3 hexes north at mission speed to clear the Solomons this turn. It's as if the AI suddenly realized there was a full-speed sprint 3 turns ago and just now applied the penalties.

---

Excerpt from a letter from Lieutenant Miharu to his wife, Kojima:

…but the ship and all the crew are fine. We have, in fact, even distinguished ourselves in action against the enemy.

I have a feeling lately, though. This war has changed, so slowly that it is easy to ignore it. But the enemy is growing obviously stronger, and the pressure against us grows slowly but steadily. So far our defenses remain firm. I have the feeling, though, that there are difficult tests ahead.

But you should not worry for me. If you had seen Captain Ishii during the recent battle, as calm as a rock in the midst of a storm, you would know that Hibiki is in good hands and likely to remain safe. And besides, we are headed into uncontested waters for the moment, though I cannot of course tell you where.

Now I must tell you of a strange thing. After the recent battle we picked up two Americans. One of them was the son of a man I knew in Annapolis, a friend of Ben Packard. I know you have heard me speak of Packard-san many times. How strange to have such a meeting in the middle of a war, far from either Annapolis or Kanazawa! The young man was well when we turned him over to the military police. I hope he remains so.

What you wrote in your last letter of your outing with your family made me smile, especially the part about your sister and the carp. I hope you might have a chance to visit with my parents soon. I have been gone a long time, and with my brother disgraced and sought by the police I suspect they are lonely. They did not say as much in their last letter to me, and of course Father did not speak of Morito at all, but I think a visit would do much to cheer them up.

You did not mention Morito in your last letter either, by which I know he has not returned seeking help. This is just as well, but I cannot help wondering about him…

---

Kojima Miharu taps four times at the door of the small shed at the back of her home’s neat little walled garden. She then pushes it open.

“Hello, Morito-san,” she says. “I have brought you some food for your journey.” As is proper her eyes remain downcast while she addresses the man inside. Morito is pale but healthy; there are no longer any bandages on his arm.

“I have been thinking,” says Morito. “It is not safe out there for me. I think that I should remain here for a while, to give the police more time to forget about me.”

“I understand your worries,” she says. “But your wound has healed and you have regained your health. It is not safe for my husband to have you remain.” She says nothing about the fact that her own risk is even greater.

“I am safe here,” declares Morito stubbornly. “I have decided I should remain.” Kojima smiles sweetly.

“You must do as you think best, of course,” she says. “But I think you will find it less safe here if a patriotic Japanese housewife were to do her duty and report the hiding place of a fugitive.” Morito’s jaw drops open.

“You would not dare!” he says. “Your husband…” Kojima cuts him off, and though her eyes remain downcast there is steel in her voice.

“My husband has told me not to shelter you. In doing as much as I have for you I have defied his wishes, and I must answer to him for that one day.” She raises her head and looks him in the eye. “By staying here you have endangered him and his career. I have done for you what I could because you are family and you needed help. But it is time for you to go. Now.” Morito’s fists ball in anger as he stares at her. He steps forward, hand raised. She flinches slightly but does not yield a step. Morito stops, then his shoulders slump and he drops his hands to his sides.

“Forgive me,” he says. “I have been hiding for too long, and I am afraid. It makes me weak. You are correct. I hope that someday I may repay your kindness to me.” He takes the food she has brought and places it into his satchel. “I will go now.” He lifts the satchel, then steps around her and leaves the shed. Outside it is growing dark.

“Farewell, Morito-san,” says Kojima quietly. “Good luck. Do not come back.”

“Farewell, sister in law,” says Morito. He slips out the gate and vanishes down the dark and quiet street.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1537
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/14/2007 1:04:38 AM   
Skipjack

Thanks, Cuttlefish, for this AAR.  You have really sucked me in, even to the non-combat plot lines - very addicting.  Cudos also for selecting a Matrix game monikor based on a WWII U.S. Submarine   I hope the Hibiki continues to see action and avoid critical hits.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1538
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/14/2007 4:29:29 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

I think there is enough variability in history that we can believe in a decent mannered Ishii. Besides - this is a story and the best writers know how to make a protagonist that their audience will root for. I think most of the audience here would tire quickly of reading about a brutal ship captain that continually displayed a blatant disregard for human life.

Not to mention starting to root for Hibiki to catch one between the stacks. I agree with you completely FK.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 1539
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/14/2007 4:35:22 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Nice to have all the nit-pick...upps, uh, that's editors, right Cuttlefish:)?

Best get used to it so you'll be prepared when your start writing for big bucks.  Then, we hanger-oners can say, "Hey, I knew Cuttlefish when he entertained us for nothing in a great AAR". "I used to point out every slight error in his scripts".  "I guess I made him what he is today".

Hey. If CF really does start writing for money (I'm assuming he doesnt yet), I'll gladly pay for the pleasure. I only have one condition, that I get a personally autographed copy....I mean I have to get something out of knowing you before you went bigtime, right?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1540
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/14/2007 4:45:55 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I wonder what Milo charges for mail delivery?

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1541
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/14/2007 10:39:02 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skipjack

Thanks, Cuttlefish, for this AAR.  You have really sucked me in, even to the non-combat plot lines - very addicting.  Cudos also for selecting a Matrix game monikor based on a WWII U.S. Submarine   I hope the Hibiki continues to see action and avoid critical hits.

Glad you are enjoying it! As far as my forum name goes, it seemed appropriate to use a name like that, since my actual last name is also the name of a WWII U.S. submarine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

I wonder what Milo charges for mail delivery?

Heh, yes, I rather suspect the ubiquitous Captain Ito is going to have some business coming his way soon. I imagine that M & M Enterprises makes a tidy profit on such services - the color of scarcity and all that, you know.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 1542
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/15/2007 5:57:56 PM   
cantona2

Id like to apologise to Cuttlefish and the crew of the Hibiki and all Hibiki fanboys

From one of my PBEM's

Sub attack at 42,52

Japanese Ships
DD Hibiki, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage
DD Yugiri
DD Akatsuki

Allied Ships
SS Salmon

The crew was under orders to target the Yugiri, i promise!!

Sorry for hijacking thread

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1543
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/15/2007 10:31:19 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Japanese Ships
DD Hibiki, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage
DD Yugiri
DD Akatsuki

Allied Ships
SS Salmon

The crew was under orders to target the Yugiri, i promise!!

Sorry for hijacking thread

Don't scare us like that!!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1544
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/16/2007 12:27:58 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 14, 1943

Fuel: 414

Orders: Proceed to Truk

---

Chief Gunnery Officer Kuwaki steps into Captain Ishii’s cabin and salutes.

“You sent for me, sir?” he says. Captain Ishii nods. He is seated in front of his small desk, jacket off and sleeves rolled back. On the desk is the usual stack of paperwork. The captain pushes back his chair and stands, facing Kuwaki.

“Yes, Lieutenant, I did,” he says. He indicates the papers on his desk. “I have been reviewing reports from the battle the other day. It seems we expended twenty-eight rounds of 5” ammunition. Of these six rounds struck their targets. I work that out to be 21% of the total. This in conditions of darkness, against small, fast targets. Lieutenant, that is outstanding work.”

“Sir, thank you,” says Kuwaki. “I have to point out that the range was very close and that one of the three torpedo boats we engaged escaped.” Captain Ishii snorts.

“And two did not,” he says. “Your performance was a credit to this ship. Please pass my thanks to your guns crews for a job well done.”

“Yes sir, thank you. I will,” says Kuwaki. He is startled but very pleased. Captain Ishii rarely goes out of his way to praise one of his officers like this. He sets high standards and expects his crew to meet them. But in truth Kuwaki is very pleased with the job his men did during the battle, and is proud that the captain has been gracious enough to mention it. It might even, Kuwaki dares to hope, lead to a promotion to full lieutenant one day.

“Very good,” says the captain. “Dismissed, Lieutenant.” Kuwaki salutes again and leaves. He goes to pass the captain’s praise on to his gun crews – and to see that the guns are ready and to schedule more drills. Praise is good, but the fight at Gili Gili is in the past. He knows he needs to keep his mind on the fights yet to come.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 10/16/2007 12:31:29 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1545
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/16/2007 12:31:28 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 15, 1943

Fuel: 378

---

Hibiki and Tachikaze, the only two destroyers left in the task force, are kept very busy indeed on the voyage to Truk. They are responsible for screening a battleship and three cruisers from submarine attack. The larger Japanese vessels, for their part, are mindful of their vulnerability and rely on speed as their chief defense.

Though no enemy submarines have been seen long-range patrol planes out of Truk and Lunga report they are in the area. This keeps the two destroyers scurrying like overworked collie dogs along the flanks of the column. It is not a pace of operations anyone aboard Hibiki cares to maintain for an extended period, especially given the recent battle. Fortunately Truk is now only two days ahead.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1546
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/16/2007 12:32:38 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 16, 1943

Fuel: 342

---

Shiro comes off duty dripping wet. He was on watch forward, and has been drenched by the spray coming off the bows. At least the water is fairly warm. He pulls on dry clothes and goes in search of food.

He arrives in the crowded mess and edges his way into a seat. Oizuma, beside him, scoots over without interrupting what he is saying.

“So of course they’ll send us back to Japan,” he is saying. “Anything else would be unfair!” There is general laughter.

“Fair!” says another sailor. “This is the Navy! When does fair have anything to do with anything?”

“But we’ve been at sea for a year!” says another. “I have a son I have never even seen!”

“Count yourself lucky if he does not have a brother by the time you get home,” says someone dryly.

“But I haven’t been home! How can my son have a brother if I…hey!” says the first sailor indignantly. There is laughter around the table, and the unmarried sailors make several ribald suggestions as to what bored wives might be doing at home. The married ones do not join in the mirth.

“You’ve been quiet, Riku,” someone says. “You usually know what’s going on. Have you heard anything?” Riku, a little ways down the crowded table, is neatly scooping up some rice with his chopsticks. He shakes his head as he chews and swallows.

“I haven’t heard anything,” he says finally. “Except that it’s obvious that the brass are worried about what’s happening around Rabaul. I would bet that no ships are going back to Japan from this area right now unless they are badly damaged.”

“Maybe one of Snake Man’s pets can clog a steam line or something and cause a boiler explosion – just a small one!” someone suggests.

“Hey, leave my snakes out of this!” says Oizuma.

“Yes, leave the snakes alone,” says another sailor. “Benzaiten is the luck of the ship – as long as she is with us we will always come back to port safe.”

“That’s right!” says Oizuma. “I just wish that the port was Tokyo or Osaka, not some harbor in the jungle in the middle of nowhere.”

There is general agreement to this. The conversation turns, not for the first time or even the one hundredth, to what they will do when they finally see home again. It gets them no closer to Japan, but it does help bring Japan closer to them, at least for a short while.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1547
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/16/2007 1:55:09 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish
“But I haven’t been home! How can my son have a brother if I…hey!”

Well, someone's slow on the uptake.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1548
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/16/2007 6:48:40 PM   
tocaff

So even the lowest of the ranks are starting to be aware of the growing pressure being applied by the Allies.  Good stuff as usual.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1549
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 2:32:26 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 17, 1943

Course: Disbanded in port
Attached to: None
Mission: None
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders

---

The task force reaches Truk without incident and is disbanded. Hibiki waits her turn, refuels, and then proceeds into the sizeable anchorage.

Things around the Solomon Sea seem to have remained quiet since the last Japanese attack on Gili Gili. Hibiki is therefore directed to remain at Truk and effect any necessary repairs while the Imperial Navy takes stock of the situation and decides upon its next moves.

There are worse bases than Truk in which to be idle. The anchorage is spacious, the facilities are good, and the place and climate attractive. Many of the crew hope that the Navy takes its time deciding where to send them next.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1550
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 2:33:47 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 18, 1943

---

Things are tense at the captain’s table. With both his current love interest and an old flame present sparks are bound to fly, and they do. After a raucous outburst by the brassy blonde the current love interest, a refined dark-haired beauty, looks at her sadly.

“You must be very fond of him,” she says.

“What makes you think so?” challenges the blonde.

“To humiliate yourself like this,” replies the dark-haired woman with pity. Out in the audience Riku leans over and whispers to Shiro.

“Which one would you choose?” he asks. Shiro does not hesitate.

“Rosalind Russell,” he whispers back. Riku shakes his head.

“Jean Harlow for me,” he says.

The meal ends badly. The handsome, dashing ship’s captain, played by Clark Gable, apologizes to the other guests.

“And as the man said when they were about to hang him, ‘this will be a lesson to me’,” he says.

The movie continues. As the ship makes its way from Hong Kong to Singapore there is both romance and violence aplenty. The sailors nod approvingly at the realism of the typhoon scenes, and wince as screaming deckhands are crushed beneath shifting cargo. The stalwart captain’s fortitude under torture by pirates, even in the face of the dreaded “Malay boot”, is inspiring. They especially approve of the third officer’s act at the end of the movie, sacrificing himself and thus removing the stain of cowardice that had blackened his name.

The captain’s choice at the end is hotly debated as the sailors make their way back to the ship, along with the relative merits of both of the female stars. All in all the movie is a most enjoyable diversion, and for some weeks afterwards many of the crew subconsciously attempt to mimic Gable’s mannerisms and cool, commanding demeanor.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1551
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 12:24:51 PM   
Terminus

There was a movie I'd never heard of. Had to go look it up...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1552
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 4:56:27 PM   
kaleun

quote:

...And?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1553
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 5:03:27 PM   
Terminus

China Seas (1935)...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026205/

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1554
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 7:19:45 PM   
Ol_Dog

No one wanted to play Wallace Beery?

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1555
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 9:32:00 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I wondered if anybody would track down which movie it was. Well done. I haven't seen "China Seas" in years, but I remember it as a pretty good movie.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1556
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 9:34:03 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 19, 1943

System Damage: 3

---

Half a dozen of the crew are discussing the “Malay boot,” the torture device featured in the movie they saw the previous day. For many it is an article of faith that since it appeared in a Hollywood movie it has to be real. Others are not so sure.

“Of course it is real!” says Seaman Yoshitake. “We saw it!”

“But I have never heard of such a thing,” says Oizuma stubbornly.

“You have not heard of many things,” says Yoshitake, “that doesn’t mean they don’t exist!”

“What do you think, Riku?” asks someone. Riku has been sitting off to one side, listening but not participating. Of the sailors in the crowded bunk area only Shiro suspects that Riku’s distraction since they saw the movie has something to do with a woman far away in Okinawa.

“I have no idea,” says Riku. “But I know who would. Chief Shun was sailing those waters before most of us were born.”

“Ha!” says Yoshitake. “Go ask Shun. That’s a laugh.”

“You are afraid?” says Oizuma.

“Absolutely terrified,” agrees Yoshitake comfortably. “What, you are trying to say that you aren’t?” Oizuma shifts a little.

“Well,” he says, “no, I’m not. It’s just a question, I don’t see how he…”

“Fine,” interrupts Yoshitake. “You ask him. Come, we will follow and hear what he says.” The others second this. Oizuma begins to have second thoughts, but too late. He cannot back out now and save face. With a heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach he makes his way up to the deck, with the other five sailors trailing behind.

Shun is located forward, next to the 5” turret. The stocky Chief turns as they approach and waits for them without speaking. As the others hang back Oizuma slowly walks forward and comes to attention.

Shun looks him over, then his glance shifts past him to the other five sailors. Then he looks back at Oizuma, who is sweating slightly.

“This is going to be good, I can tell,” he growls. “Well, Oizuma? What is it? Speak up!”

“Many apologies for the interruption, Chief,” stammers Oizuma. “We were wondering…that it, I was wondering…well, you saw the movie yesterday, yes?” Shun nods. “We wondered about the Malay boot. Is it real, Chief?”

Shun grunts and leans back against the turret, crossing his arms.

“Oh yes,” he says. “Such devices exist. The Malay pirates didn’t use them, though. Their methods were usually…more direct.”

“More direct, Chief?” asks Oizuma. Shun nods.

“They were a savage bunch,” he says. “They still are, though their power isn’t what it was back in the old days. Give the Dutch and British credit for that, anyway.”

“What things did they do?” asks Oizuma, encouraged by the fact that Shun seems willing to talk. Shun grins, not a pleasant sight.

“You little girls sure you want to hear about that?” he says. There is a chorus of affirmation from the men. Shun knows a wealth of fascinating tales, though he can rarely be persuaded to tell them.

“All right,” says Shun, settling back. “There was a ship I heard about once,” he says. “Just after the last war, this was. French ship, out of Saigon. Supposed to have money on board. French officers, mixed crew, and half a dozen French soldiers. Pirates took her in the night, out in the Gulf of Siam. Swarmed the ship with small boats, the way they like to. They cut down the soldiers and brought all the crew up on deck.

“They separated the officers and started to question them. They put a couple of guards with rifles on the crew, but didn’t bother with them much. Crew was a mongrel lot and the pirates figured pretty rightly that they wouldn’t be willing to risk their skins for their officers.”

No one in his audience moves. The hatch in the turret is open, and all sounds of activity from within have ceased. Shun’s eyes acquire a faraway look as he continues speaking.

“They asked the officers where the money was,” he continues, “but they only answer they got was that no one knew anything about any money. So they grabbed a bosun – Malheur, his name was – and made him kneel on the deck in front of the others. Poor bastard begged for his life and they chopped his head off right in mid word. It took three blows, actually, it’s hard to get a man’s head off with just one.

“They took the second mate next, made him kneel in the blood. Same thing. Axe makes a nasty sound biting into a man’s neck. There were smears of blood leading to the rail as they dragged the bodies overboard, but they left the heads lying there in the blood. The blood looked black in the lamplight, like tar.

“Then they went for the first mate, made him kneel too. Asked him where the money was. This man, he had some steel in him. Told the pirates they had the wrong ship and spat in the leader’s eye. Then he looked straight ahead and told them to get it over with.” Shun stops talking for a moment, but his eyes still have that faraway look.

“What happened next, Chief?,” asks Riku quietly after a pause. Shun looks up, almost startled.

“Hm? Well, like I said they weren’t expecting any trouble from the crew,” he says. “There was one kid, though, with maybe more ideals than sense, who figured that the mate had shown too many guts to be killed like that. So he took a guard’s gun away from him and killed him with it, then shot the man with the axe.

“The pirates panicked and turned on the crew, and that set everyone on them. The crew suddenly had a stake in the fight, you see. Kill or be killed. It got pretty bloody for a minute or two there, but we took…they took the ship back. At least that’s what I heard.” Shun returns to the present with an almost audible snap. “Any other foolish questions, or may I return to my duties now?”

“Chief,” says Yoshitake, “what happened to that crewman?”

“Him?” says Shun. “They gave him a nice bonus. He used it to get back home and try and make something out of himself.” He gives the sailors a steely glance. “And now…”

“Yes. Chief, thank you,” says Oizuma. He steps back and then inclines from the waist in a respectful bow. The other sailors present follow suit. They then turn and make their way back below decks without saying anything further. Shun watches them go, for once too startled to make a biting comment.

---

Up on the bridge Captain Ishii and Lieutenant Sugiyura step quietly away from the rail and back inside.

“That was quite a tale,” says Sugiyura. Captain Ishii just grunts. He seems slightly distracted. “I wonder if there really was any money?”

“Oh yes, there was,” says Ishii, looking up. “It turns out only the soldiers knew about it, or where it was. But it was eventually found.” Sugiyura stops and looks at him.

“Sir?” he says. “How do you…?” But Captain Ishii just shakes his head and smiles a little. He leaves the bridge and goes below, leaving Sugiyura to wonder about things on his own.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1557
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 9:47:54 PM   
Lecivius

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1558
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 9:59:48 PM   
kaleun

Outstanding!

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1559
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/17/2007 10:34:17 PM   
Terminus

Yup. Superb storytelling.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1560
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI