Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Request for "flavor quotes"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 5/10/2007 11:32:32 PM   
Callahan

"It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake."
- Frederick Douglass

"In thinking of America, I sometimes find myself admiring her bright blue sky—her grand old woods—her fertile fields—her beautiful rivers— her mighty lakes, and star-crowned mountains. But my rapture is soon checked, my joy is soon turned to mourning. When I remember that all is cursed with the infernal spirit of slaveholding, robbery and wrong,— when I remember that with the waters of her noblest rivers, the tears of my brethren are borne to the ocean, disregarded and forgotten, and that her most fertile fields drink daily of the warm blood of my outraged sisters, I am filled with unutterable loathing, and led to reproach myself that any thing could fall from my lips in praise of such a land."
- Frederick Douglass in a letter to William Lloyd Garrison (January 1, 1846)

"We have received no mail for several days and do not like it. A soldier can do without hard bread but not without his letters from home."
- Entry in Elisha Hunt Rhodes` diary (March 6, 1865)

"I do not pretend to go to sleep. How can I? If Anderson does not accept terms at four, the orders are, he shall be fired upon. I count four, St. Michael's bells chime out and I begin to hope. At half-past four the heavy booming of a cannon. I sprang out of bed, and on my knees prostrate I prayed as I never prayed before."
- Entry in Mary Chesnut`s diary (April 12, 1861)

"In glades they meet skull after skull
Where pine cones lay - the rusted gun,
Green shoes full of bones, the mouldering coat
And cuddled up skeleton;
And scores of such. Some start as in dreams,
And comrades lost bemoan;
By the edge of those wilds Stonewall had charged-
But the year and the Man were gone."
- Herman Melville "The Armies of the Wilderness"

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 31
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 5/12/2007 1:24:07 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks. I think I'll use at least two of them.

(in reply to Callahan)
Post #: 32
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 5/12/2007 4:37:21 PM   
General Quarters

Some of the good quotations that originally came with the game have not been appearing on the public beta. I hope they are not gone forever. The love the Vicksburg menu and hope to use the quote about not being able to go forward or backward and wishing for a hole in the ground in something I'm writing.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 33
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 5/12/2007 5:10:49 PM   
Gil R.

That's just a bad dice roll you're getting -- nothing has changed in the file. In fact, I'm going to be adding another 10-15 quotes for this patch, but haven't delivered the file to Eric yet. On the one hand, this will make each quote that much less likely to appear, but on the other hand, veteran players will get some new ones.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 34
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 5/12/2007 10:16:45 PM   
General Quarters

Sounds good.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 35
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/6/2007 3:32:24 PM   
shenandoah

Gen. Thomas Jackson at 1st Manassas talking to 4th and 27th regiments defending Henry House Hill. The significance of this is that this was the first time of the "rebel yell".

“Reserve your fire until they come within fifty yards! Then fire and give them the bayonet! And when you charge, yell like furies.”

(in reply to Callahan)
Post #: 36
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/8/2007 3:59:49 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks! Just added.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 37
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/13/2007 2:05:29 PM   
jkBluesman

"Thus during all the fourth we were in preparation for the rear movement that must begin that night. Lee's position had become serious, but undismayed were the Confederate Chief and his three corps commanders. He knew he could count on their tried courage and experience." G. Moxley Sorrel about the aftermath of Gettysburg in his Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 38
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/13/2007 2:13:44 PM   
jkBluesman

"The mountain roads were filled with broken regiments and companies and it was very late before they got to the foot of the mountain and in some sort of order. The material of our army was such that it did not take long for the men to shape up after disaster."
Gilbert Moxley Sorrel about the march of Longstreets' corps to South Mountain in his Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 39
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/13/2007 4:57:21 PM   
Callahan

Private Henry R. Berkeley, an artilleryman in the ANV, about Iverson`s repelled charge at Gettysburg:
"There were seventy-nine North Carolinians laying dead in a straight line. I stood on their right and looked down their line. It was perfectly dressed. Three had fallen to the front, the rest had fallen backwards; yet the feet of all these dead men were in a perfectly straight line. They had evidently been killed by one volley of musketry and they had fallen in their tracks without a single struggle. I turned from this sight with a sickened heart and tried to eat my breakfast, but had to return it to my haversack untouched."

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 40
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 2:14:41 AM   
General Quarters

Callahan, what a picture! Thanks.

(in reply to Callahan)
Post #: 41
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 2:37:48 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jkBluesman

"The mountain roads were filled with broken regiments and companies and it was very late before they got to the foot of the mountain and in some sort of order. The material of our army was such that it did not take long for the men to shape up after disaster."
Gilbert Moxley Sorrel about the march of Longstreets' corps to South Mountain in his Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer

What's being described here? Is this the aftermath of the Battle of South Mountain, and Longstreet's men are retreating to the base of the mountain? Or was the "disaster" something else?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 42
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 2:40:11 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

Private Henry R. Berkeley, an artilleryman in the ANV, about Iverson`s repelled charge at Gettysburg:
"There were seventy-nine North Carolinians laying dead in a straight line. I stood on their right and looked down their line. It was perfectly dressed. Three had fallen to the front, the rest had fallen backwards; yet the feet of all these dead men were in a perfectly straight line. They had evidently been killed by one volley of musketry and they had fallen in their tracks without a single struggle. I turned from this sight with a sickened heart and tried to eat my breakfast, but had to return it to my haversack untouched."

Callahan, this is a great quote and I want to use it, but I'm wondering if you have any info on the source. I like to provide the names of memoirs or other published sources when possible. If you happen to know the unit he was in that would be great, too. Thanks!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 43
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 3:43:16 AM   
Callahan

I found it in the book "Brigades of Gettysburg", which lists Berkeley`s diary "Four years in the Confederate artillery" as the source (his entry from the 2nd of July 1863, to be precise).
Berkely served in the Amherst Va. Arty, II. Corps Artillery Reserve.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 44
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 4:07:35 AM   
Callahan

Found another one, that might fit. It`s from an unnamed soldier of the 28th Pennsylvania, who describes the confederate charge against the upper slopes of Culp`s Hill on the 3rd of July:
"Down the opposite slope they came in beautiful alignment, their officers gallantly leading - now up the hillside in our front, in solid column, as if by sheer force of weight to bear us down. There was no retreat for the poor fellows in the front ranks, who, with blanched faces, came up to be mowed down in companies. At twenty paces, ten, five, and even less intervening space, our minnie balls were planked [sic] into their unprotected bodies. The faces of the men in the front ranks exhibited that fear and dread that is akin to insanity, and yet without any hope of success, they were driven to the slaughter."

"Brigades of Gettysburg" lists "Re-union of the 28th & 147th Regiments, Pennsylvania Volunteers" p. 6 as the source.

(in reply to Callahan)
Post #: 45
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 4:47:04 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks for the added info, and the new quote. Both are very good additions.

(in reply to Callahan)
Post #: 46
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 11:07:26 AM   
jkBluesman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

What's being described here? Is this the aftermath of the Battle of South Mountain, and Longstreet's men are retreating to the base of the mountain? Or was the "disaster" something else?

Longstreet's men had come to the rescue of D.H. Hill at South Mountain in a forced march. The next morning they were on the road to Antietam Creek and that's what is described in the quote. As South Mountain was defended successfully it was not a disaster. I like the quote because Sorrel implies that the ANV was in general of a material that recovered fast from disaster.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 47
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 8:11:11 PM   
cesteman

Just a suggestion, and maybe I missed it here but how about an excerb from Lincolin's Gettysburg Address?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 48
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 8:29:30 PM   
Gil R.

It's partly in there:
"But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or to detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. – Pres. Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address"

That was the part that seemed best to excerpt for the game.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 49
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/14/2007 8:33:22 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

Longstreet's men had come to the rescue of D.H. Hill at South Mountain in a forced march. The next morning they were on the road to Antietam Creek and that's what is described in the quote. As South Mountain was defended successfully it was not a disaster. I like the quote because Sorrel implies that the ANV was in general of a material that recovered fast from disaster.

Oh, I see. I had assumed that the broken regiments were in Longstreet's corps, and that caused my confusion. I like the quote, but explaining its context succinctly will be tough.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 50
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/15/2007 9:57:08 PM   
shenandoah

Jackson writing to his wife Anna about his defeat of Banks at the battle of Winchester during May 1862, “People seemed nearly frantic with joy; indeed it would be almost impossible to describe their manifestations of rejoicing and gratitude. Our entrance into Winchester was one of the most stirring scenes of my life.”

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 51
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/16/2007 2:39:11 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: shenandoah

Jackson writing to his wife Anna about his defeat of Banks at the battle of Winchester during May 1862, “People seemed nearly frantic with joy; indeed it would be almost impossible to describe their manifestations of rejoicing and gratitude. Our entrance into Winchester was one of the most stirring scenes of my life.”

Is there more to the quote, especially in terms of giving context? It feels incomplete to me.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 52
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/16/2007 4:23:14 AM   
Gil R.

jkBluesman,
I've had a devil of a time trying to come up with the descriptive text for this quote, which is confusing because the first sentence is about a specific occasion and the second is a general statement that doesn't perfectly apply to the first. Does what I wrote do the job?

The mountain roads were filled with broken regiments and companies and it was very late before they got to the foot of the mountain and in some sort of order. The material of our army was such that it did not take long for the men to shape up after disaster. – Gen. G. Moxley Sorrel, C.S.A. (from “Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer,” describing the resiliency of the Army of Northern Virginia in the aftermath of the tough fighting at South Mountain)*

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 53
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/18/2007 3:08:41 PM   
jkBluesman

I think it does the job. Sorrel's narrative is often like that and he is a good source for army gossip. So I will not come up with more quotes from him here, but will use him for bios.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 54
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/19/2007 8:12:13 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, thanks -- it's in.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 55
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 6/27/2007 4:13:06 PM   
jkBluesman

"Men, there are but two candidates for the office, and there is but one of them worth a damn. I nominate him. All who are in favour of electing Sergeant Blank, come to a shoulder. Company, Shoulder arms..." Quoted from a history of NC regiments on how Lieutenant William Quince of North Carolina handled a company election in late 1861

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 56
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 7/2/2007 12:41:20 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

"Men, there are but two candidates for the office, and there is but one of them worth a damn. I nominate him. All who are in favour of electing Sergeant Blank, come to a shoulder. Company, Shoulder arms..." Quoted from a history of NC regiments on how Lieutenant William Quince of North Carolina handled a company election in late 1861

I like it, but do you have the info on the regiment, company, etc.?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 57
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 7/2/2007 6:19:47 PM   
jkBluesman

I knew you would ask. Unfortunately I can only add that the quote was taken from "Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina, I, p. 221, edited by Walter Clark.

< Message edited by jkBluesman -- 7/2/2007 7:30:56 PM >

Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 58
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 7/3/2007 12:40:45 AM   
Gil R.

I had a hunch you'd say that...

Am I correct that this would have been an election for captain?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 59
RE: Request for "flavor quotes" - 7/5/2007 5:23:31 PM   
jkBluesman

I would think so as it was a company election. Stephen Sears used the quote to illustrate what experienced officers sometimes did to prevent the election of well-known men who were not qualified for an officer rank.

Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI