Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 5/7/2001 9:58:00 PM   
murx

As for a small weapon I would choose the PzKpfw IIL Luchs :D As a former Leopard II tanker I feel that it belongs into the 'small arms' category ;D Breit Fahren - schmal denken ! murx

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 31
- 5/8/2001 12:25:00 AM   
Igor

well, heck; for my small arm I want the U.S. 1st Infantry division, circa March 1945. That not being available, lessee... The MG 34, since the 42 was too hard to control (the rate of fire was too high; the poor gunner couldn't keep the barrel down). The Stg 44. The Colt M1911A1; yes, it has a kick and a fairly small capacity. It still lets people know when they've been shot. And for those special battlefield situations, the Granatbuchse 39. A tad heavy, but where else are you going to get a grenade launcher with a 500m range in 1941?

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 32
- 5/8/2001 3:03:00 AM   
hhsohn

From what I hear FG42 was a good rifle and SAW. So I'd take one of those and a Colt .45 as a back up.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 33
- 5/8/2001 9:51:00 AM   
Igor

Regrettably, the SAW was an idea who's time hadn't yet come. The Stg was the first assault rifle (which, btw, is what Stg stand for; Sturm gewehr=assault rifle); but it wasn't meant for use as an LMG and it couldn't use the same ammo as the basic rifle.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 34
- 5/8/2001 10:42:00 AM   
MwR

As a former infantry man (national service in Singapore), I'd stick to more "modern" equipment. Anyway, I like German-made stuff,only exception with SMG. 1. Assault rifle - MP 44 2. Pistol - Walther PP 3. SMG - When you have assault rifle, you don't need SMG. But for record, I like PPSh-41, which has decent firepower and ammo for the job. 4. Anti-tank weapon - Panzerfaust 150. Just right for the individual infantry. 5. Hand Grenade - I don't know about this. The last time I used it, it feel like holding a ticking time-bomb (it is once you pull the pin). Well, so much about my options. By the way, I heard the Japs didn't make good infantry weapons (for starters, their rifle is so damn long). What are everyone's opinion? [ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: MwR ]

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Mao Tse-Tung

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 35
- 5/8/2001 11:00:00 AM   
Sgt Gunn

quote:

Originally posted by Seth: Ummm... I'd take a Nambu pistol and any rifle. I'd throw the Nambu at my foe, and when he blew his hand off trying to shoot me with it, I'd walk up and brain him with the rifle. Seriously, I'd take the P38 or Radom as a pistol, as both are excellently engineered and don't have the vicious kick of the M1911. As a rifle, I'd go with the StG 44, hands down. If I had to take a rifle that looked like a rifle, maybe a Garand or a Tokarev. For an SMG, I'd probably take the Beretta, since I've heard a lot of good things about it, if not, probably a Suomi. LMG would have to be the MG 42. I'm intrigued by the Japanese LMG's with bayonets, but I doubt they're all that good.
The M1911A1's kick is hardly vicious - I find it more pleasant to shoot than our current M9 Berettas... Easier to hold as well. I'd go with the M1 Garand or SturmGewhwer44 for a rifle, MP38 for SMG (I'm suprised no-one else picked this - the MP38 was one of the best made SMG's around.), M1911A1 for the pistol, and the Bren for the LMG. The MG34/42's are nice, but not useful in the assault - firing one from the hip is a bad idea.....

SSG Adrian Gunn
102 CES/CED
USAF

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." - Vegetius

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 36
- 5/8/2001 3:11:00 PM   
Nemesis

The Suomi smg. All I need. Soviets copied the desing to their ppsh, after they learned the hard way what that weapon is capable of. Now that I think about it, famous soviets weapons seem to be knock-offs of other's design. ppsh is a copy of Suomi smg, AK-47 is a copy of the late-WW2 german assault rifle (forgot the name). SturmGewhwer44, that's it! ==>Edited to add the name of german AR.<== [ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: Nemesis ]

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 37
- 5/8/2001 5:02:00 PM   
Igor

As my vote for worst weapon, I choose the Chauchat. The French were still using them, after all. They were so bad the Wehrmacht refused to capture them...they were all left for the Vichy forces to enjoy.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 38
- 5/11/2001 11:04:00 PM   
achappelle

Small Arms, Give me a PPSH41, When you swing it at someones head, the wood stock makes a nice squisy noise

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 39
- 5/11/2001 11:29:00 PM   
Jeff Norton

Hello, 1)SMG - PPsH - Can't beat the 71 rounds of fun you can spray from it. Really robust piece of hardware. 2)M1 or SG-44(MP-44?) - Fired both and like each of them. Firing the SG-44 was like an AK - noticable kick, pulls to the left, and awkward in the prone. But, like most German firearms, quite accurate. 3)MG-34/42 - Fired a German Army MG-3 during cross training. What a thrill!!! Kinda hard to do accurate shooting (like you can with a M-60 (could do single shots with it...)). What do you expect from a bullet hose... Would hate to be on the recieving end of it... 4)Browning HP - Own a CZ-75 and its a great copy. Accurate too... Wife loves it. 5)Panzerfaust - What would the war be like if it came out a little bit earlier? (same could be said of the SG-44 - Germans were working with the 7.92 Kurtz ammo back in 1936. The weapons board was worried what they were going to do with about 7 trillion regular 7.92 bullets in inventory.) Fact IS stranger than truth... -Jeff

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 40
- 5/12/2001 11:56:00 PM   
Gen. Maczek

Pistol: Polish 'ViS' Wz. 35 9mm. One of, if not the best pistols used during WWII. Great accuracy, lightweight and powerful. Holds 8 rounds, very easy and quick to reload. SMG: Suomi No explenation needed. Rifle: M1 As above.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 41
- 5/12/2001 11:57:00 PM   
Gen. Maczek

Pistol: Polish 'ViS' Wz. 35 9mm. One of, if not the best pistol used during WWII. Great accuracy, lightweight and powerful. Holds 8 rounds, very easy and quick to reload, almost no kick. SMG: Suomi No explenation needed. Rifle: M1 As above. [ May 12, 2001: Message edited by: Gen. Maczek ]

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 42
- 5/13/2001 2:29:00 AM   
Czerka

I'm not sure about what rifle, but if I was in the jungles I'd want the Thomson. I also like the MP38.

Hell is praved with godd intentions; all men mean well.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 43
- 5/13/2001 2:59:00 AM   
Panzer Capta

PPsH M1941....without a doubt

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 44
- 5/13/2001 4:41:00 AM   
Hauptmann

The MP-40 would be my choice.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 45
- 5/13/2001 11:47:00 PM   
chanman

The best first: Rifle: Springfield '03. I have heard that the M1 is supposed to be better, but I have never fired one. The '03 I fired could reach out and touch someone at 2-300 yards over iron sights and longer if scoped. Specially selected ammo is nice too. The man who taught me to shoot it (jumped at Normandy, fought at Bastogne, commanded a battalion in Viet Nam) swore by it. Pistol: Colt model 1911a .45 caliber. I know that the 9mm's have a larger magazine capacity and are easier to conceal, but when you are wearing green chasing "bad guys", that isn't so relevant. Stopping power is, and the .45 is king among pistols in stopping power. SMG: I'll go with the Thompson and the 50 round drum. Stopping power at short range with lots of ammo. Heavy, I'll grant. Technically, I agree that the PPshk and the Soumi are probably better weapons, but the thompson has the additional feature that if it jams, you have lots of extra ammo for your pistol. LMG: For logistical reasons, I'll go with the BAR here. AFAIK, it uses the same ammo as the '03 and M1. AT: Panzerfaust. An addition to the post above about Russian weapons being knockoffs would be the RPG series derived from the Panzerfaust. Assault Rifle: StG 44. The only one in this time period, I think. Now, for the worst: Rifle: Late model Japanese rifles. Friend of mine has one in his collection but refuses to fire it. Late war Japanese metallurgy was suspect. Pistol: Tough one. I understand that Japan and England both have outstanding candidates in this field. My vote goes for the Luger, though. Looks cool, but way too complex and the balance stinks. You don't even get the great magazine capacity of the other 9mm's. SMG: Sten. Easy to manufacture. Easy to throw away. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

"As God is my witness, I thought that turkeys could fly"

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 46
- 5/15/2001 1:41:00 PM   
NeoWhiteWolf

Reading this thread i got to thinking....if i had to shoose i would take the FG43....even though it kicks harder than an 88 im 6'6 250+ and ive fired one with no trouble...my sidearm would have to be the P38...i know your going to say im crazy but i would carry a bolt....if tyhe germans against SMG and AR's did fine til '43 with a good ratio of kills to deaths....that has to count for something...

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI