Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/11/2007 8:59:45 AM   
Greyhunterlp

1st Franklin.

Buell is attacked, McClellen has already moved off so I decide to not recall him, even though Jackson has 20,000 more men. I will never get the army away If i keep them running around,I set Buell up in a defensive position and await the arrive of the confederate forces.

With nowhere to flank the rebs are forced to assault my lines, I still expect to loose, but i may make them pay for it this time.

My lines begin to buckly under that withering confederate fire. but I move the other units in to close the gaps. I must try and cost them as many men as possible, and give time for my retrating troops to make good their escape.

Then Three CSA brigades rout at the same time. could this be a reversal on Fredricksburg? or will their greater numbers now come into play? i can do nothing but press my remaining fighting troops and hope that the rebels break before my med do, but for the frst time since the battle started I sense the faintest glimmer of victory.

but no, the jefferson davis battery rolls up and desimates my troops. another loss the the union.

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 31
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/11/2007 5:33:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sounds like you are now in the part Foote dubbed "The Longest Journey".

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 32
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/11/2007 7:17:05 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Sounds like you are now in the part Foote dubbed "The Longest Journey".

I'm definatly in the "for the love of God, Stop shooting my men" stage. I just need to figure out how their hitting me for so much more damage than i'm hitting them.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 33
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/12/2007 8:47:08 AM   
Greyhunterlp

3rd Osarge.

2nd Corp advances on the trapped Army of the West. knowing them to be depserate and low on supplies. They call for Burnsides 4th corps, but don't wait to engage. this seems to be a good idea, as the rebs are already on the move and advanceing towards the union lines.

The battle is joined, and the lack of supplies seems to be showing, this time its my troops who are causing the most damage. The illinoius volunteers end up in enemy terriritory, but with a whole divison facing a single brigade, I'm not worried. the 16th divison of Burnsides corp is moving up behind the 14th, ready to plug any gaps that form.

As expected some of my troops break, but so dos his indian brigade in the south, and the 16th division easily compensates for the routers in the 14th. the fact that Hooker rallies on brigade just behind our lines means that I've still got most of my force intact. then one of the CSA brigades attempts to charge the lincon battery, and pays dearly for it.

The confederacy starts to break, the calvery unit holds on the longest, but they are soon surrounded and pummeled into submission. the battle ends with 1500 casualties taken, 4500 inflicted.

Post #: 34
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/12/2007 9:01:04 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late Aprill 1862. (turn 19)

Although the scoring system says that turn was a bad one, I'm not to dishartened. Buell performed well despite being outnumbered, and Freemont crushed the Army of the west.  I send my western forces into Arkansas, to try and take the capital,

Operation Finger lickin moves into a seige, and i pull Buell back to McClellans forces.

Post #: 35
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/12/2007 3:15:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter
I'm definatly in the "for the love of God, Stop shooting my men" stage. I just need to figure out how their hitting me for so much more damage than i'm hitting them.

Are you playing with Attack Reports on?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 36
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/13/2007 6:23:41 AM   
Gil R.

Grey Hunter,
Great AAR you have going. I thought you (not to mention your devoted fans) would like to know that it looks like we're going to be having an AAR contest once the new patch goes gold. Nothing officially announced, but it seems that first prize will be a cavalry saber. Note that this is absolutely not a reason for you to stop with this one, of course. And I'll also say that as far as I'm concerned (and I'd be one of the judges), the concept of going back in time, incapacitating Lincoln, hiding him behind a fake wall and then taking over is your intellectual property, so if anyone tries to use that one they'll be starting off with a substantial penalty...

Post #: 37
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/13/2007 7:13:39 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early May 1862 (Turn 20)

Ahh Jackson doesn't kill large numbers of my troops this turn. thats always a good thing. and theres little else except for the slow start to the siege of Frankfort, and the recruitment of a calvery unit in the west - in the same province as a CSA indian brigade. fun will insue i'm sure.

Not much to report this turn, moved the 5th corp out of the army and to Kentucky. I could only place on division into the army, whereas it allows me to bind my forces attacking as part of Op. FLG. 

My main worry is the diplomatic situation. (well my main worry beyond being discovered as a imposter or Jackson arriving in washington)

Great britain is backing the CSA heavily. and i can't plugh any more money into them, the french have little interest, and the rest of europe support me, but someones still sending supplies to the rebels. (note to self. bet its the swiss. invade switzerland once the south is pacified.) I drop france by two, increasing europe by one, and banking the money I was going to spend on the french.

I order a seige to start in Arkansas river. Burnside is going to try and take the capital there, while Freebot is off to try and engage polks 20,000 with his 25,000. I order some more mustering attempts in the states north of Kentucky. this should allow me to replace losses and bolster the attacking forces. I'm just going to try and pin the main confederate force to richmond until I can win the war in the west.

Actually there was a fair bit to report there.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 38
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/13/2007 7:15:06 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Grey Hunter,
Great AAR you have going. I thought you (not to mention your devoted fans) would like to know that it looks like we're going to be having an AAR contest once the new patch goes gold. Nothing officially announced, but it seems that first prize will be a cavalry saber. Note that this is absolutely not a reason for you to stop with this one, of course. And I'll also say that as far as I'm concerned (and I'd be one of the judges), the concept of going back in time, incapacitating Lincoln, hiding him behind a fake wall and then taking over is your intellectual property, so if anyone tries to use that one they'll be starting off with a substantial penalty...

I'll most likly try my hand at that. Maybe a CSA game to counterpart this one. I was never one to resist a challange. (well playing this game shows that)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 39
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/13/2007 7:39:42 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Late May 1862 (turn 21)

I manage to muster three more brigades, and several buildings are ready, including another camp. I spend most of my money on a mansion in harrisburg - I want another barracks there to produce armies, and some more artillary production facilities wouldn't hurt.  I spend my labour on more mines, mints and horse farms. I arm up some of the new brigades and attempt to attach them to 5 corps in Frankfort.

In the west I step burnside down to an encirclement siege to cut down on the casualties. And Freebot tries to move to engage polk who has moved into the swamps. I don't expect to win, but I can cut them down a bit and slow them reaching burnside.

The main change has happend in the central/eastern areas, where Jackson has once again moved off towards the west.  so once again i give my men the order to strike towards Richmond. 

Although this time I'm attempting to put more distance between me and Jacksons army. maybeI can do more damage this time.

Post #: 40
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/13/2007 8:31:34 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Ahh more target practice. Just what we need.

1st Arkansas River.

Polk attacks Burnside before Freemont can attack polk. Burnside moves away from his seige encampment to meet Polk on open ground. now we test the mettle of this new division. It seems to be the Provisional Army of Tennassee.

Unfortuantly the western department have gotten themselves a good way from the rest of the army. they are going to take a punishing before I can move other troops up to support. I takes nearly an hour for the 16th Divison to move up, and F.R.I division, heavily depleated by the seige are even further behind.

The lauderdale Zouarves take fire from four brigades of the 16th divsion into their rear, causing nearly 750 casualties. as the army moves north to avoid this flanking attack, they leave their supply open to fire, the combined fire of a divison routs the PAoT's only supply unit. meaning that they will now be expending ammunition without means of replacing it. If i can draw this battle out then I give more chances for my forces to win.

The Lauderdale Zouarves break twenty minutes later, and the 7th infantry is shaken and pinned in front of the entire F.R.I. divison. the 16th then concentrates on the rest of the army, which is still falling back northwards. as night falls the 7th breaks as does another unidentifed division. and ther are reports of the enemy beinging to waver. and sure enough two hours later into the night, scouts report the main force trying to slip away. the 7th CSA infantry is caught and forced to surrender by union troops.

humilatingly enough, most of the surrounding troops are part of the supply units, but the rebs, in the dark, mistake them for line troops and throw down their arms.

< Message edited by Grey Hunter -- 4/13/2007 8:32:38 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/13/2007 8:47:45 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early June 1862 (turn 22)

The seiges procede at a slow and steady pace. I can be more adventurous when i have enough funds to buy seige artillary. the battle in Arkansas gained me 15 points of experiance research, as well as weaking the divison by one whole brigade. Its looking like I underestimated burnside. i may not have to replace him with a puppet after all.

More support is ready, and the acadimies train up some of the divisons to a greater standard. britain sends a whole dolup of navel technology to the confeds, I'll have to wait to see which technological nightmare that is.

Jackson didn't return towards Richmond. he actually moved to the lower tennissee river, brag hasn't moved either way.  there are now enemy formations on both sides of Kentucky but neither are in any position to attack my troops quickly.

So I order Buell and McClellen onto Petersburg and Richmond respectivly.  they may not be able to take them, but they can sure as well cause some panic amoungst the goverment of the confederacy. who knows, If I can capture Jefferson davis and replace him, the war could be over tommorow.

I save my funds this turn, hoping to invest them into artillary later on. now i think I'll go and taunt my councilers in their hidden cage.

Post #: 42
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/14/2007 11:51:54 AM   
Greyhunterlp

1st James River.

McClellen moves on James river.  Unfortunatly I seem to have misjudged the amount of supply the army needed, and most of the units start the battle low on ammunition. but at least its 70,000 of my men vs 20,000 of theirs. some I can try and use numbers to make up for the lower firepower of my units.

From looking at the Terrain it looks like I'm going to have to storm 3 large forts. but there may only be garrison troops defending them. but the guns on the forts will make my life hell. But i'd rather have a quick and bloody victory than a long and costly seige.

The battle becomes a bloodbath, with units encircling the lower fort and attacking the two no victory location forts to the south of that one, then one of my brigades manages to get into one of the lower forts.

But the casulties suffered are too great, and the union army begins its rout from the feild. just as the 1st artillary begins to hit the fort.  2000 garrision troops fall for 5000 union. those forts must have some heavy guns.

Post #: 43
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/14/2007 12:13:54 PM   
Greyhunterlp

late June 1862 (turn 23)

For the first time since I knocked Lincon over the head, the computer tells me that I'm winning the war.
that said the losses on the James will take a while to heal. the disease hit didn't help either.

That said, the Sieges are progressing nicely. With the defenders in Frankfort actually loosing more men than I did. Support for the confederacy seems to be falling, and my acadimies have been spewing forthn good staff officers to the divisions.

A look at the military screen shows the problem with the the armu - I'd left them on no supply form the winter! I kick myself for that one. then I kick lincon, his screems are very theraputic. I put them up to normal, and rename the Army the "Army of Washington" and drop the other groups to low prioity to make up for the cash thats going to cost. I order the Siege artillary as well to try and improve the speed of the seiges.

in the west Jackson may be able to hit Freebot and Burnside. but for now I'm not going to move them, he'd have to come a long way, and that 750,000 is just panicing scouts and double agents. the forces in Arkansas are my most elite troops, and if they can pin Jackson, then I can rebuild the army of washington and hit the james again.

< Message edited by Grey Hunter -- 4/14/2007 1:22:23 PM >

Post #: 44
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/14/2007 1:18:02 PM   
Greyhunterlp

1st Battle Of Petersburg.

An unknown division attacks Buell at hes entrenchments, and calls for renforcements, Buell of course moves to hit these men, starting the battle with 2-1 numbers over the CSA forces. My men start to move to the road, If I can rapidly deploy onto the rebs, then I can hit them before their numbers are built up.

My forces come up on the flank of the enemy, finding two important locations defended only by garrison troops. and this time without any forts to back them up! I dispatch the 13th Division to deal with them, the others continue to move to find the main body of the conferderate force.

first sight shows this force to be a mix of the 6th and 11th CSA divisons, but i have no idea which one is the attacker and which is the more tierd renforceing division. so i continue to deploy my two divsions to the hills, If i can get the high ground, then that gives me an advantage.

As I Watch Elements of the 7th, 10th and 12th appear, making me wonder just how many units i'm facing here. Could this be one of the Corps I had assumed had gone off to the west with Jackson? if so this could mean that Buell has a fight on his hands much bigger than just a corp on Divison scrap that this seemed to be at the start. or it could just be a series of beaten up units thrown here out of desperation.
The 120th CSA infantry, the unit on the road, takes nearly 600 casualtied form the brigades surrounding it, and the department of ohio begins to move up as well, deploying for the northern flanking manauver.

near the mill the garrison unit there break, and the 13th switch fire to the other unit, but at the main battle its become clear that this is the extent of the enemy forces, and they are disorganised and in danger of being surrounded. the 118th tries to force the road, but gets caught in the same crossfire that broke the 120th.

The rebels break, one unit is surrounded and forced to surrender, and then a second. the confederates flee the feild leaving two brigades of their own to be shipped off the the prison camps.

< Message edited by Grey Hunter -- 4/14/2007 1:19:45 PM >

Post #: 45
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/14/2007 2:18:42 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early July 1862 (turn 24)

Huh? now I'm loosing?  Stupid diplomatic war.
The sieges are still going swimmingly, soon I'll be in control of 2 state capitals! with Petersburg if I can keep the CSA off me.

To this end i'm moving McClellens battered army into fredricksburg. although I hope not to need to use them, they are there as  support for Buell if the 60K confederates in Lynchberg come a knocking.  I order the siege in Frankfort to a normal one, their numbers and defences are so low now i may be able to knock them down with few casualties.
I switch a large part of my Labour production over to money, I don't have much build space left, and the labours just going to build up if I don't cut back now - and money is important with the high stakes dipolmatic war thats going on. 

Post #: 46
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/14/2007 6:27:22 PM   
Greyhunterlp

STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
LATE JULY 1862 (TURN 25)

Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?
What do you mean "what thing" trust me, it'll be funny in a hundred years time.
Hello America. Or at least those of you who have decided to stay loyal. this is your President, Honest Abe Lincon, Speaking. its been a year now since the first battle of Bull Run, and It about time you were all brought up to date with the state of the war, and the Union.

First off, Theres great news on the R&D front. We've manged to improve both arms manufacturing rates, and seige warfare! now we have more guns the fire and a better way to fire them!

Now, lets get you all up to speed on the last two weeks.

As you can see, We have managed to take Franfort! And I'm sure you all realise that puts us one step closer to KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN!!
What? not even a small cheer? whats up with you people?
Well, onto the war, Buell retreated rather than fight a force twice his size, let that show that we're not getting your sons and husbands killed for no reason! although the diseased batch of bedding sent down to Arkansas was a bit of a boo-boo, but hey, these things happen in war! and we're not even going to talk about the diplomatic situation, if it carried on like this, I might have to do something drastic, like freeing the slaves or something.

Now I know that the sight of 156,000 men in Petersburg may look like a major problem when compared to our 79,000. but rest assured that Those reports are poor, I estimate only 100,000 men there, 120,000 at the most! now lets have a look at our boys in detail.

As you can see, The Army of washington is well motivated, (fairly) well equipped, but a little short on numbers. as is third corp. but this shouldn't people. I've just sent order out for a fresh wave of mustering! thats right! thousands more of you will be given the chance to die for your country! to cope with this fresh influx of corpses, I mean soldiers, a new barracks will be built in Harrisberg.

In Kentucky, as already mentioned, Operation "Finger Licking Good" has been a resounding success! the state captial has been captured and our forces are moving to the West Ohio river to take control of this vital lifeline for deep fried Chickeny Goodness! (it also gives us a chance of retreating if Jacksons army decides to come and visit.)

As you can See, we need to up weapons prodution to properly arm our boys fighting in Kentucky for Union, Freedom, Democracy and Fast Food.

The West shows the same problem - our fighting troops are spending so much time at the fronts, theres no time to upgrade their weapons! be assured that we know this is a problem, and your loved ones will not be using weapons their grandfathers could recognise much longer! but think on this, their winning despite having 100 year old weapons! Oh yeah, and I've ordered them to up the seige, so we can get them back on the road to hurting the rebels!

Now for a word to all you governers. You do not all need manufacturing centres Quit asking for them. it aint going to happen. The economy is strong enough without you requesting things that have no real use in the war effort.

To those of you in the audiance from the so called "Old World" please, give me a break, I've thrown so much money your way, the streets of london, paris and every other captial city of Europe must be paved with gold! and what do I get? nothing! what do those dusty, bad bearded slavers get? every shiny peice of technology you come up with! for the love of all that is holy, don't make me come over there and burn you citys to the ground! don't think I won't do it!

Now finally. I'd like to say thank you, you've been a great audiance,
Peace out!

No! were not surrendering! its just a saying!
What do you mean my beards slipping? err. Gotta go, Cya!

Post #: 47
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 9:37:48 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Early August 1862 (Turn 26)

Well the siege in Arkasas River got bloody, but it should fall next turn. and the retreat from Petersberg means that seige is over.

But what a muster, 10 new brigades. including two legandary units. although thats hurt my standings with all the governers now. I'm going to have to spend some time repairing that damage I think.  I'm also going to have to up french diplomacy, as it seems they now show no support for me. what must the rebs be spending on them?

I order another camp, and move as many men as I can to the armies from the new brigades. this helps greatly in the AoW. taking us back up above the rebels numbers.

I also order up a large number of arsanals, I've been letting my weapon quality slip, and when the big guns come out, I want to be able to throw them around like nothing! Op F.L.G. starts a slow siege on the west Ohiho river, I can't really step it up untill I can funnel more troops that way. And the Arkansas river siege should be finished within the next few weeks.  then I can start upgrading Freebot and Burnsides forces. I'm also considering taking a crack at Cleburnes army in Petersburg, but only when I've built my forces up a bit more.

Post #: 48
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 9:54:50 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late August 1862 (Turn 27)

Reinventing the wheel for infantry.

Another State capital falls to my mighty army! now were cooking on gas. but it seems like the CSA are spending that technology their getting hard and fast. but European support has finally hit 0! I rush to the diplomats to see how this has affected the overall situation and how to rejig spending.

I drop European diplomacy to 2, and raise french to 4, keeping the one extra to boost my funds somewhat.

In the west I set burnside and Freebot to conquring the rest of Arkansas. The sieges in Kentucky can continue and I order up a new division in the East to fill with the last round of mustered troops. apart from that the AoW sits and tries to rebuild its shattered divisions.

Post #: 49
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 10:09:50 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Early September 1862 (turn 28)

Winter is comeing.
Sorry, Wrong reality there.
not much in the report really, The seige continues apace, a few skirmishes with a brigade thats late arriving in Arkansas, the standard huge gifts from europe (the french don't seem to have noticed my newly increased bribes) oh yeah, and it seems that Hooker is useless.

I move the 18th Division inot the AoW and fill it, I also reduce the supply back down to low. they have 6 points average, and I want to start spreading the troops out better - that and it gives me 40 more money a turn and I want to start doing something about all these angry governers. everyone else is continuing as normal.

Post #: 50
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 10:28:07 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late September 1862 (turn 29)

Man this is getting boaring. I even let Lincon escape as far as the door yesterday, before the bungee cord snapped back.

Some of the CSA raiders got themselves destroyed, this is good, the've not been much of a nusance up until a couple of turns ago, but any loss of resources for the confedarcy is a good thing.
Freebot and Burnside continue to cut a swath down the westernmost end of the confederacy.

In the East I decide to try one offensive before winter. I've noticed Forrest moving up from Kentucky with 7,000 men, and I know that the Confederate army is about 65k men, (it says 750,000 atm moment, I must fire some of my scouts. maybe out of a cannon, just to keep the others on their toes) So If i'm going to attack, It should be now, before they have a winter to rebuild their forces.

This may be a bad idea. but I feel like I should make at least one agressive move before winter, when I have time to rebuild before the next years campain season.

I give Governer yates his manufacturing centre. mainly because I want him to stop opposing Diplomacy - Its killing me! I also Order up two new camps in my most highly populated areas. this should go some way to offset the losses I'm about to take. - I'm under no illisions that even a victory in petersburg will come at a high cost. but at least Its a cost I'm prepared to take. now all I can do is put on my McClellen makeup, ride down to the army, and try and lead them to victory.

Post #: 51
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 1:52:40 PM   
Greyhunterlp

2nd Petersburg.

Both McClellen and Buell manage to move in at the same time, so No need to call for renforcments, and all my men should be fairly well rested for the battle. I have 40K men extra, slightly higher than I expected, but I'm not complaining.

The forces are so big, I can't make a decent Screenshot, and theres only one Victory location, so I know where the bulk of the confederates will be. so I begin the advance. FOR GLORY MEN!
As I move the army I realise that in fact its a collection of Seasoned but depleate units backed up with a large number of well renfoced but green brigades. I can only hope that the Confederates are in the same position, my entire 18th division, as you may rember, is made up of recently mustered men.

Further invstigation shows the Army of Tennesse following them, and i swing the bulk of my army to meet them, while having some unit advance on the victory location.  I manage to throw a rough battle line together on the right.

The fighting starts to build up as more and more troops get into weapons range, then this happens

of all the people to get hit, it would be one of my corps commanders! this could be a problem, but at least hes not dead outright.
the rebs continue to swing north to catch me on my flank, I decide to let them, I will form a line between the two lakes and then hold them there while the left of my army takes the victory location and deals with any stragglers. make them attack me while I hold the most important part of the battlefeild!
at 2:50 two garrison units surrender to my forces.

This is Turning expensive. my troops are trying to form the northen line, but at the rate commanders are dropping, this may turn into a rout before I can take the victory location. and it so deep into the red that i dont think i can make a rush for it yet. I move most of the forces north to try and push the rebs into my reds zones.

The battle develops into a broad front, with the confederates using the terrain as a rear sheild. but for now i seem to be holding them, bar a mass rout, it should come down to who has the most staying power - and the fact that I now have an entire division deployed to take the Victory location.

This is turning not into a constest of arms, but one of zones, i'm in his zones, hes in mine, whoever stated with the most moral will win this one - and thats going to be him, solely on the defensive bonus. the north is looking like a total mess, but i think i can hold him there, if i can get my own men out of the moral sapping areas to the south.

Berry is wounded holding a CSA charge, adn all around there are broken union units, this is now just a holding action - holding the rebels for as long as poissible so the rest of the army can flee without being pursused. when we break, the casualties are horrendus, costing us hamblin dead in the feild, and several thousand men.

The final butchers bill is 17,000 lost for 11,600 killed.

Post #: 52
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 2:10:12 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early October, 1862 (turn 30)

I've just come from the Hospital. They say its an arm, and their not sure if gangreen will set in. no news on Berry, but that could be a good thing.

Well, that could have gone better. 2 Generals dead, 2 more wounded. 2 brigades disbanded after crushing losses. note to self, do not go into the red zones. thats what lost me that battle, the just kept moving up over my army.  The only good thing was I gained enough experiance to get the next upgrade. That and my force is still big enough to give him problems if he trys to attack me.
About the only thing I can do at this time is to replace the lost weapons, and order a laboratory, we're lacking on research, and I mean to fix that this winter!

I've got to go feed the captives, McClellen will be insurfrable, so I've put a laxative into his food. That should shut him up after a while.

Post #: 53
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 6:01:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just a quick note to say keep up the great AAR. Impressive battle there, I'm happy to see that you're not only fighting these out as detailed battles but getting a good challenege in the process. You may not want to hear that the current internal version, which is heading for public beta, has an even better detailed battle AI.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 54
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 6:15:27 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Late October 1862 (turn 31)

Learning to shoot OVER things is very important, and makes my artillary so much more useful, and anything that can take out those dammed blockade runners is a good thing.

Buell seems to be getting better. But I think I need to do a radiacal restructure of the AoW. and this winter seems like the best time to do it.

Louisville falls to my men, and I order a muster there to get some defensive troops. I also send a newly created corps there to better form the divisions. I spend all my money on another divsion for the new troops in this corp, and order up another artillary peice.

The two camps that have just started supplying replacements bring my replacements up to over 4000. as I plan only one siege for the winter, I should have a much stronger army by the time we can move safly again.

The overview shows the forces fairly equally balanced. but spred in a way that Freemonts forces in the West could change the face of the war. Kentucy seems to be tieing down Jackson, and the army in North Vaginia is held in place by the Army of Washington. I may have lost more men in the big battle, but I had more men to loose. I doubt he'll try anything for a while.

Post #: 55
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 6:17:30 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Just a quick note to say keep up the great AAR. Impressive battle there, I'm happy to see that you're not only fighting these out as detailed battles but getting a good challenege in the process. You may not want to hear that the current internal version, which is heading for public beta, has an even better detailed battle AI.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yeah, that was some battle. I could have had them, i just felt my army come apart under the pressure, but in that slow way that feels like you might just be able to break them before they break you.

Post #: 56
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 8:34:50 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

I doubt he'll try anything for a while.

I HAD to say it, Didn't I. I could of kept my big trap shut, but noooo.

This one is going to be bloody folks.

I pick "fortifications and swampy" for my options, maybe i can pay back the rebs with fort guns, but either way I should be able to use them to protect my troops. I call the first fort "land fort" and the second "river fort" for obvious reasons. I deploy most of my troops behind the river, hoping to limit the chances of being flanked and to try and force the rebs into my guns.

It seems like a long wait, but finally the rebels forces march into view. I have given them no real place to flank, but my troops are depleated, so I don't think they can take to much of a hammering. I decide to wait for him to engage my troops, then sweep down on him with my left flank.

Another General gives his life for the cause. the left hook is going in, but I'm not sure if it will have effect in time for the right to still be an effective fighting force.

The fighting seems to be progressing well on the flank, but it'll take a while to break the rebs, but time is one thing I don't have. I'm paying a cost for every turn.

You know, Its about time a rebel general was killed, this is starting to look bad in the papers. when sherman falls 40 minutes later it looks like another bad day for the general staff.

This is starting to get ridiculous. it never rains but it pours. hot lead. into my generals. I manage to encircle a few units on the rebel flank, but the rest of the army turns to meet my offensive. the units in the knot are kept in check by the will of their generals - I see three or four saves made when the units should be running or surrendering.

Finally the units in the knot being to surrender, but by this time, the bulk of the army is on them, and it'll do me no good unless I win the battle. and the battle is dragging on to a defeat. McDowell falls, making the 5th general to die this day.

I think about calling a retreat, but theres still damage I can do, and I can also start to pull troops away from the enemy, cutting my pursuit losses. during the rout that follows, Halleck is wounded.

The numbers speak for themselves, 22,000 casulaties to the confederates less than 10k, that and 5 dead generals and another one wounded.

Post #: 57
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 8:49:33 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early November 1862 (Turn 33)

Okay. Make that 6 generals lost.

Well, at least there are plenty of fresh bodies coming out of the acadamy to replace them. and what a surprise, McClellen turns out to be a bad commander! Why he only lost 37,000 men and a terrirtory last month, whatever gave you that idea? I first send orders that McClellen has been drinking heaviliy, then that hes being demoted, then go into the back room and kick the living daylights out of the real McClellen. its not his fault, but it makes me feel better

I order up two more infantry brigades. hopfully paying for them will get me better qauility ones. I set Freebot to besige Shreveport, and leave the Op. Finger Licking Good troops to rest a bit longer.

I'm going to have a good reorgansiation of the Army of Washington soon, but i'm going to wait a couple of weeks to see if any of the units disband before I do so.

Post #: 58
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/15/2007 9:31:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ouch, there's a good example of army quality trumping defenses. You had a great line setup there, but the AI has a few more lessons to teach, apparently.

I see the French also were excited about that victory. Three more points towards France and it'll be a whole new war!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 59
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 4/16/2007 4:09:40 AM   
Drex

I used to muster a lot like Gray but now I combine the two: muster the first turn and buy from then on, then muster only if I have to. Yes I'd say quality made the diffiernece but weapons probably were significant too. I haven't suffered from the generalitis that this battle had but it sure makes the battle more realistic. this is a great AAR. Gray should get an award now.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI