Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/1/2007 8:47:40 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Scraping the barrel for research. Theres been very little Urban warfare in this war, with both sides prefering to keep the destruction to the countryside.

And I've neglected the fleet so long, I'm not about to start on it now, but if i need to, then Iornclads will be useful.

1st Hatchie

Got him at last! His attempt at a surprise attack fails. we've been taken to many times by that to fall for it again.
The battlefeild is covered in heavy fog, So finding the two brigades may take some time.

Thanks to the fog they are able to flank my troops. not that it will help them in the long term. this is not a green corp. all the men know whats expected of them.

I quickly encircle the garrison unit and almost encircle the infantry brigade. my fire kills the CSA general Gatlin. the fact that they charged me means that their only core unit was disorganised. they wil pay for that now.The garrison surrenders and I encircle the Infantry, who also throw in the towel.

I the focus on the Calvery, I kill General Bratton commanding it, and then cut their retreat off. when they surrender the last of the army is captured. bar the supply and Longstreet. Who is killed soon after when i poor fire into the supply unit - three Dead generals and three captured brigades.

I doubt that was a battle. it was more of a mopping up operation. now the forces of the Confederacy in the West are no more.

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 121
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/1/2007 8:59:59 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late June 1864 (turn 74)

Loosing Richmond really hurt my score. But I think I can pull it back with the coming assault. more disease hits my army. and my railroad system comes online, the turn when Meridith actaully gets to the east! ah well, It'll be usefull later on.

I'm going to see If Cleburne will attack me. I need a turn or two to replenish the supply of Op F.L.G and I see no need to move out before that happens. It'll also give time to replace more of the losses suffered by the AoW.

In the west is now going to be sieges from here on out. I can fianlly get to work finishing off the confederates will and ability to fight.

< Message edited by Grey Hunter -- 5/2/2007 8:35:07 AM >

Post #: 122
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/2/2007 8:19:41 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Early July 1864 (Turn 75)

Newer, deadlier artillary - just what the doctor dreds.

This one was a harder choice. but i think that it'll help in the long term, I just have to hope it won't dilute down to many of my decent units.

WEll, a 20% increase in the number of bridages increases my manpower shortfall from 50,000 to 131,000 - Thats going to take some time to reduce. and Op. F.L.G. supply is still low. at an average of 3. I'll wait one more turn,  then send my boys in - this gives me time to build up their numbers and replace some more guns, but I really can't hang around for that long. - I'm also giving cleburne another chance at messing up.

In the west I set Stahel to seigeing.

Post #: 123
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/2/2007 8:32:45 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late July 1864 (Turn 76)

Not much to mention. I set a few musters I forgot to mention - I still need to replace a few brigades and I don't have the money due to having to supply my troops. although a check of the qualitity shows its rated at 1.00 - or "run away" they're going to need some battle seasoning.

Although I check and I find that most of my units are now at full supply, so I drop them down. I may have to go up again in a couple of turns, but for now I can make some money. but for now I just order up one brigade and then turn my eyes to the attack.

As you can see, There are two big armys next to each other, I have 60,000 more men, but a number of them are of dubious quality - the Op. F.L.G. boys are the core, but the other two units are a mix of raw recruits and shattered veterans. but I order the attack anyway, Cleburne is not going to move, and I can't win untill I've shattered his army.

Time to roll some dice.

< Message edited by Grey Hunter -- 5/2/2007 8:36:14 AM >

Post #: 124
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/4/2007 8:11:19 AM   
Greyhunterlp

On holiday for a few days away from the computer. AAR will continue when I get back, and have slept. 

Post #: 125
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/4/2007 9:26:11 PM   
cerosenberg

Mr. Hunter,

I have recently purchased the game and have started learning.  However, I am wondering if I have spent my money wisely.  I have enjoyed your thread immensely and fear that the game itself will not be one bit as entertaining.  I hope this message encourages you to continue and I impatiently await more.

Post #: 126
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/5/2007 10:06:13 AM   
BigJ62

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter

On holiday for a few days away from the computer. AAR will continue when I get back, and have slept. 

Don't forget the chicken.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

Post #: 127
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/7/2007 9:48:21 AM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerosenberg

Mr. Hunter,

I have recently purchased the game and have started learning. However, I am wondering if I have spent my money wisely. I have enjoyed your thread immensely and fear that the game itself will not be one bit as entertaining. I hope this message encourages you to continue and I impatiently await more.

Encourages me to continue? :) I intented to be the first person on this board to compleate a full ARR. just I had to go abroad on holiday. so no computer access. but i'm back now and loading up the game!

(in reply to cerosenberg)
Post #: 128
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/7/2007 12:16:57 PM   
Greyhunterlp

More big guns. so much choice and so little resources.....

4th James River

Both Prince and Meridith manage to make a move, and it looks like my scouts have been over estimating the CSA forces by 20,000. I decide to call in the last corp as renforcements, as they will be useful later on, and I don't want any risks for this battle!

Then the south surprise attacks again.  once more they find a gap in my line, but this time most of my men seem to be ready, with only about half my units scattered.  although the third divsion in the centre of the gap has poor moral and is quickly broken. in fact, many of my units are below 1 moral, so I expect this to me a short battle.

In the next 40 minute Smith of my side is wounded and Gano of theirs is killed. mmy moral plummets as he leads a series of charges into my 3rd divison before they can run away. on the other flank it costs me dear but I manage to panic the lincon battery who then surrender! on the  left i risk a charge into a confederate unit and manage to kill Buregard. 

The Confederate force continues to march to the sea. I let them, this will allow time to move all my forces to bare. as well as slowing the time it takes for my own moral to plummet. If I can move my own decent troop into the fihgt and move my more fragile ones back then I may still be able to salvage this one.

It takes some time, but the rest of the army arrives, and I have to hope that the rebs are in my moral sapping area. I loose Anderson to confederate snipers, and the rebs start moving down the coast back towards thier forts, finally realsing that they are in danger of being cut off. I go in hard and fast, trying to shatter his forces, and while it costs me Dyer, it allows me to pin his forces between me and the Atlantic.

and in a few turns My renforcements will come into play, and if I can hold that long, they will turn the battle. but i can feel my men breaking that little bit faster than theirs, I think their casualties are hight at the moment, but their  moral is holding better. I manage to kill F. Lee. taking me up to 3 dead generals and two wounded for on dead and one wounded of my own. the battle soon turns into a mess.

my troops rout, but a series of desasterous charges by the CSA mean that he looses more men than I do. and the battle results show how close it actually was

Post #: 129
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/7/2007 12:27:39 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early August 1864 (turn 77)

Mixed feelings about that battle, while I did loose, and the CSA gained some will, I did almost win and caused 6,000 more casulaties. So I'm sending my men back in as soon as possible. that may be some time though, as my men dropped a hell of a lot of expensive weapons.

dam them. thats a good years weapons production there.! I decide not to spend anything this turn and save the money for a mansion - that way i can build even more arsenels.

I set Robinson besigeing Natcez. the war in the East is more important at the moment, but no need not to make a mess of the west while my men are there.

Post #: 130
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/8/2007 8:14:40 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late August 1864 (turn 78)

more training for the troops.

Slightly more agressive siege than normal in Nechez. I change that to one that will do more damage to the fort itself.  beyond that its a normal days in this shaky union I'm trying to preserve. I order up a mansion in Annapolis so I can try and appease the governor there.

In the west it looks like Lewis is trying to make a move with a single brigade in the 3rd army. so I send a divison to meet him. that should be plenty to send him packing again. the east is just a matter of replacing some guns. although my recent buying spree has made springfeilds a little expensive.

I relasie that I've not checked on my guests in a while. with horror I realsie that i've not fed them in longer! when I open the door I find lincon surrounded by a pile of bones, growling at me. I throw in a couple of lumps of meat and then close the door again.
Woopsy.

Post #: 131
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/8/2007 8:25:47 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Early September 1864 (Turn 79)

Disease again. lots of small hits though, its just annoying when they are in the range of a good number of hospitals. but then again, you have to expect this kind of thing when 160,000 men are camped in the same area.

I order up a brigade to replace the one thats disbanded, and I begin to move Stahels troops to another city.

Post #: 132
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/8/2007 8:32:26 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late September 1864 (turn 80)

more disease, and not much else. I decide to order up another mansion. It looks like I'll not be able to move an amry out for another couple of months if I wait to fully equip them. So I'm going to equip as many as possible next turn and  move out, I still need that desisive victory!

Post #: 133
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/8/2007 8:44:53 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Early October 1864 (Turn 81)

Well, at least It'll keep their uniforms clean.

Even more training for the troops!

Okay. Time to get this war rolling again!

I have a 70,000 man advantage, so its time to use it. but i'm not going for the james again. the forts there are to dangerous. so I'm going to hit Petersburg. I'll go for a fast seige and try and cut him off. forceing him to attack me away from the forts. this is risky but I'll give it a turn to see what I can do.

in the west its time to teach that new division why they should have stayed in the east. I order up two brigades around washington, I'm going to need some replacements soon, but its to close to 1865 for me to tred lightly. its time to burn the south or go down trying!

Post #: 134
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/8/2007 11:51:08 AM   
jkBluesman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter

I relasie that I've not checked on my guests in a while. with horror I realsie that i've not fed them in longer! when I open the door I find lincon surrounded by a pile of bones, growling at me. I throw in a couple of lumps of meat and then close the door again.
Woopsy.

That is an interesting way of getting rid of your opponent for the upcoming presidential election, Mr. Lincoln.

Post #: 135
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/9/2007 9:10:05 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Late October 1864 (turn 82)

Ahh, Fire. the solution to all lifes problems.

Natchez falls, and a mansion comes online, I imediatly build a navel collage to improve governour relations and a arsanal. because guns are good.

In the West Stahel continues to chase that enemy divison, now cut off but trying to link up with 3rd army. In the east I decide to hold off the assault on petersburg two weeks to allow me to try and tempt Cleburne into an attack on my full army.

< Message edited by Grey Hunter -- 5/9/2007 9:12:06 PM >

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 136
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/9/2007 9:26:17 PM   
Greyhunterlp

That should put a crimp in their suprise attacks. now we can fight on even (?) terms!

Stahel's managed to catch the rebs, now to destroy them!

it seems to be a mixed french/CSA force. no matter, with this many brigades its just a matter of attacking! in fact both brigades flee after less than 40 minutes in the feild.

Post #: 137
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/9/2007 9:32:21 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early November 1864 (Turn 83)

DAMNATION!

Just as one thing goes my way, something big goes the other, with support 9 theres now a chance that the BRITISH will also enter the war. I order The forces in Petersburg to assault the town. causalties can go hang to drawing cleburne out into the open!

Beyond that its just a matter of moving men towards the next seige in the west.

Post #: 138
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/10/2007 8:46:47 AM   
Greyhunterlp

As if any indian is going to be stupid enough to join the war on my side at this point.

Assault on Petersburg

My men go in just before noon. the garrison units foolishly go out to meet them, but we have reports of the rest of the confedearate army moving up. not what i planned, but i'll take any chance to beat those units up in ones and twos

at this point I've fired one volley only and the unit hit is already shaken. with four corps worth of my troops on the feild, I don't think I can blame them. but this is the price of rebellion.

A unit of the 11th Divison appears on the scene, showing me that the confederates are renforcing their position, unfortuantly the brigade marches right into the guns of the Dep of Annapolis and loses its commanding general, a T. Jordan, in the opening volley. more and more regular troops arrive, and this looks like it could turn into something of a meeting engagement.

around the southern fort the bulk of my force concentrates, this should allow me to quickly roll up his flank, my northern force should be able to hold his, no matter how many men he can get into battle, it still will not be quick enough to stop me defeating him in detail.

Cheltin is the next of my generals to die. The post war widows pensions are going to kill us. we continue the assault and are rewarded with the confederates breaking. its now a race to capture as many men as possible to reduce Cleburnes forces.

Thats going to annoy the frenchies. the confederates soon rout/

Post #: 139
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/10/2007 8:58:54 AM   
Greyhunterlp

Late November 1864 (turn 84)

Not much to be said. in all likelyhood thats the war. I'll now be pinned between two world superpowers, and I doubt that the british army will feild troops as poor as the french.

See what I mean about good coming with the terrible? I cause serious harm to the confederates, kill a prince of france, take Petersburg, and get rewarded by the worlds largest empire joining my enemies! At least i removed six brigades and three generals from Cleburnes army. I immediatly order an attack into Lynchberg to carry on the assault. I move Wade up to head Op. F.L.G., I'm really upset at loosing Meridith, the man was a good general.

I move Stahel northwards, hopefully to meet and destroy some british forces. but I know he'll be heaviliy outnumbered. I need to finish Cleburne to the point I can send some of his forces north. This is going to get tricky!

Post #: 140
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/10/2007 9:36:30 PM   
Drex

Ididn't think the Brits were that good when I fought them. You just might be able to hold them off if you have a good Corp up there.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 141
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/10/2007 11:48:12 PM   
Greyhunterlp

Early December 1864 (turn 85)

Oh Dear. thats not good. but its worse when its followed by this.

The war is over! the British entering the war is to much for the union! they storm the Whitehouse looking for the fool that has led them to defeat. and they find lincon surrounded by bones and gnawing on the remains of some of the generals that had supposedly died on the feild of battle.

Myself I have escaped back to my own time, luckly for me, this has created a parrel dimention, and has no effect on my own timeline, but I can't help wondering what happened, reclaibrating the machine, I take a quick look at my america. "Mad Canabile" Abe Lincon is known and riviled as one of the most evil men in history, loosing the war and causing many deaths. the south is a puppet of europe, and the north has been sidelined.

somehow I don't think I'm going to be bragging about this one. ah well, theres always more dimensions, I mean, I have to get it right some time......

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 142
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 12:23:39 AM   
Erik Rutins

Tough luck with the British and the French both entering and your national will taking such a beating too. I assume you'll be focusing more on diplomacy the next time around? You fought a great fight and it was an outstanding AAR to follow along with. Entertaining and remarkable for the fact that you fought it out with detailed battles throughout.

I think you'll enjoy some of the 1.9.16d changes to the game and the scenarios, let us know about your further adventures in time!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 143
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 12:24:28 AM   
Greyhunterlp

The Stats of the war.

as you can see, the army wasn't to bad at the end. fair if not exceptinal quality, but with some units taking excessive casualties.  - the Department of the West springs to the front with nearly 30,000 men becoming casulaties over the course of the war.

My Civil war was made up of 38 battles. of these I won 17 - or 45% - a little under a half. there were 8 Descisive battles during the war. of which I won one.  - The third battle of Fredricksburg. which was also the most costly battle of the war, with a combines loss of 51,000 men. about the same as Gettysburg, but several months later.

The only point I was really winning the war was in December 1863, Just after I won 3rd Fredricksburg.

What I Learned

1) Do not Annoy Your Governours - Seems simple. but I messed it up big style. once you annoy them, then its very hard to get them to like you again. and once they start opposing things, then your going to take some serious hits. as in point 2

2) Diplomacy Hurts - This is what lost me the game, but I think that its mainly down to the number of opposing governours. Once the old world starts sending in lots of stuff, your life gets hard, once they send in troops, it gets harder, once both have sent in troops, its game over.

3) Navel operations - There was one naval battle in the whole war. when the british fleet arrived, but I built no new ships, and had to few to blockade the confederates. and they were getting hundreds of units of supplys in via the blockade runners. I need to concentrate on this side of the game more

4) Generals are lead magnets - Seriously, am I just unlucky, or do civil war generals die quicker than a chicken in a Kentucky Fast Food restraunt (yeah I never did get my fried chicken). I was loosing one or two a battle, and it was hurting me.

5) better guns make all the difference the repeater rifles are the turning point for the union, but you need a lot of arsenals to make them. I should have spent more time building them than some of my other improvements - I had more Iorn and Horses than I knew what to do with by the end of the war, but I was always short on money, guns and labour.

6) land does not win the war This was a key mistake. winning battles has a bigger effect than taking land, I had half the confederate capitals, and even held richmond for six months, but it didn't put a dent in the south, killing 27,000 men at 3rd Fredricksburg did more to help than all the seiges.

Closing Comments

Well, That was fun, as I said earlier, I'm one of these sickos who plays above their level of skill - although in this case thats only 1st sargent. thats was the coming fury scenario, In case no-one guessed. and writing the ARR made me think more about my actions. and allowed me to see (in hindsight unfortunatly) where i went wrong. I won the war in the west, but unlike history, that was not the important theater in the war. I needed to smash Cleburn in North Virginia. and me fouling up the Diplomatic war lost me the game. without that, I would still have had a chance to defeat the rebels before the victory points started to rack up. I was too cautious early game, and I payed for it.

I hope You've all enjoyed reading this. just for your info, my count shows 444 pictures for about 60 meg. so I hope none of you are on capped net speed. I've had a blast wrighting it.

Oh yeah, and feel free to point out any mistakes that I missed in my above list. We only learn from our mistakes, and as me grandad used to tell me, "a fools a fool until hes told" - well that and "there all mad except me and thee, and I 'aint to sure about thee" but that doesn't apply that well here.

Yours,
Grey Hunter.

Post #: 144
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 12:31:08 AM   
WallysWorld

Grey Hunter, thanks very much for the interesting AAR.

It kept me really interested and entertained while I wait for my copy of FOF to arrive in the mail.

< Message edited by WallysWorld -- 5/11/2007 12:32:44 AM >

Post #: 145
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 12:47:12 AM   
Drex

Very well written and very well fought. Hope you do one with the new patch.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to WallysWorld)
Post #: 146
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 2:13:26 AM   
BigJ62

CSA perhaps?

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 147
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 2:48:54 AM   
Walloc

Thx Grey_hunter for a very nice AAR.

Im very happy to see that u have learned stuff. From reading ur points i totally agree. Especially as u write how issue 1 influence issue 2.

Having 2 governours oppose france or UK makes all ur monitary attempts to keep them from the war in vain.

54% being the max monitary minus 30 from 2 governours = 24%. Meaning CSA doesnt even have to try hard to get them on board. If CSA has a governour or 2 supporting them it goes totally crazy.

From a cost benefit analyzes IMO dont let governous go into negative territory and those that are keep them happy. IMO its simply a NO NO, considering the limited cost it costs to avoid it.

I much enjoyed reading the AAR i hope we see more,

Rasmus

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 148
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 8:13:22 AM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

CSA perhaps?

Yeah, I plan to do the CSA next, with the same settings (bar the patch). but I plan to do something a bit different thats requiring more prep work.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 149
RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) - 5/11/2007 12:22:24 PM   
jkBluesman

Something different? So you will not knock out Davis and Lee? The South will not get you fried chicken for sure. All the CSA may offer is tobacco and green corn.

It was really fun to read and I hope your preps will not take that long.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: I'll show them. (A slighty unhinged AAR) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI