Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Dividing units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Dividing units Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dividing units - 5/5/2007 5:07:51 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Ferguson

To satisfy everyone would it be possible to have voluntary unit division limited to a minimum equipment value set by the scenario designer. For example a divisional scenario might have divisions with approx 15,000 pieces of equipment each. Setting the divided unit limit to say 3,000 would mean battered divisions with less than 9,000 items would not voluntarily subdivide. Even better to have a different value for each side so you can stop late war russians from dividing their divisions which are probably little more than regiment sized anyway.
Coupled with code changes to allow for 'tactical outflanking' of tiny units within large hexes these changes for me go a long way to solving some of TOAW's problems.

..why ?

..the designer can divide units in the EvilEd, absolute last thing he does tho i believe they can be renamed. Such divided units can NOT subdivide during play, and can NOT recombine during play, they do suffer all the penalties of a subdivided unit. This function has been available since Toaw1 days so is hardly news...

..that nearly all designers don't use it is something you should take up with them..personally i found it a nice way of seriously stuffing French early WW2 B class and most A class divs, but i've yet to see a designer use it in Russia..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to Dave Ferguson)
Post #: 31
RE: Dividing units - 5/5/2007 7:16:22 PM   
Dave Ferguson

As I understand it dividing units in the editor can cause problems and anyway the effect I want to see is to limit voluntary division, with the advantage that you maintain the players ability to divide and combine units as he sees fit. Dividing in the  editor does not achieve this?

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 32
RE: Dividing units - 5/6/2007 10:33:20 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Ferguson

As I understand it dividing units in the editor can cause problems and anyway the effect I want to see is to limit voluntary division, with the advantage that you maintain the players ability to divide and combine units as he sees fit. Dividing in the  editor does not achieve this?

..a unit divided in the editor can neither recombine nor divide further..

..another way is to fill all, or nearly all, the formation slots, which avoids subdivision penalties..

.. detestable house rules only work via a player, and not always then if it's a combat enforced division. It's a design choice, was/is this army unit really capable of subdivision and still functioning well, or not. You could probably list the armies that would be unable to operate divided and those that can, as well as i could

(in reply to Dave Ferguson)
Post #: 33
RE: Dividing units - 5/6/2007 6:10:36 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

Can't divide further, but CAN recombine, if all sub-units are available. Only if you permanently make one of the sub-units unavailable to its owner can recombination of that unit be prevented. You can't delete a sub-unit in the editor, so it would have to remain in the OOB, but never enter the map. There would be issues with that, of course.

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 34
RE: Dividing units - 5/6/2007 7:11:32 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

Can't divide further, but CAN recombine, if all sub-units are available. Only if you permanently make one of the sub-units unavailable to its owner can recombination of that unit be prevented. You can't delete a sub-unit in the editor, so it would have to remain in the OOB, but never enter the map. There would be issues with that, of course.

..i live and learn..

..on the other hand, it'l still divide back to original (designer set) state soooooo, the choice is one French 1940 division, or three 1940 French regts (suB-divided units)..

..yahh, a great choice..

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 5/6/2007 7:14:04 PM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Dividing units Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI