Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Visiting Civil War sites

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Visiting Civil War sites Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/1/2007 5:03:25 PM   
Drex

Polk probably never felt a thing.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 31
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/1/2007 5:12:26 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: przy06
Expansion pack? Is this for sure, or just speculation? Sounds great! Can we hear some more? Or is it still too early to talk about specifics?

We're planning one, though it wouldn't be out for half a year or more. Nothing is written in stone yet, but we're pretty sure we'll be: making changes to generals, both in terms of giving them additional ratings to make them more multi-faceted and changing some of the rules for how they're used, promoted, demoted, etc.; buffing up detailed battle further, at least by adding new terrain types and new special abilities for units; adding 50 or so new Legendary Units. We also have ideas for one or two major new features, but more on that later (when we're sure).

(in reply to przy06)
Post #: 32
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/2/2007 12:14:54 AM   
Gil R.

Gray_Lensman,
The account of Polk's death is interesting, but seems to describe firing at a mountain slope instead of down from it. I'm still curious how exactly mountain batteries could function when the target was hundreds of feet below them and not visible. Seems they would have been lobbing shells and hoping to get lucky (even if spotters were helping them to target).

LMUBill,
Today in driving from the Knoxville area (where I spent the night) back to Ohio I passed the exit for LMU on I-75, so now I know where you're located. I came very close to pulling off the road at Exit 29 when I saw the sign for the Colonel Sanders birthplace and KFC Cafe (as I think it's called). Did I miss anything of interest?

Post #: 33
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/2/2007 3:21:57 AM   
LMUBill

IIRC the guns on Lookout Mountain (and Missionary Ridge) were used to shell the trapped Union forces in Chattanooga.

If you ever get to visit Cumberland Gap you'll see the same setup with large guns on top of high mountains. In the case of CG they were used to shell enemy forces approaching the gap. the terrain helped because there were only three roads approavhing the actual gap. (The roads from the Tennessee/Virginia side converged just below the gap.) There are stories of some of the guns empalced there being thrown over the mountain by one army only to be dragged back up the mountain and used by the other army after the gap changed hands.

Post #: 34
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 7/2/2007 3:36:09 AM   
LMUBill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

LMUBill,
Today in driving from the Knoxville area (where I spent the night) back to Ohio I passed the exit for LMU on I-75, so now I know where you're located. I came very close to pulling off the road at Exit 29 when I saw the sign for the Colonel Sanders birthplace and KFC Cafe (as I think it's called). Did I miss anything of interest?

LMU is about 40 miles east of I-75. But you were in the next county over when you drove up I-75 in Campbell County. :) Many people get off at exit 29 in KY and come south on US 25-E (which also goes by LMU) to get to I-81 (and I-40 going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg) without going through Knoxville. If the sign you saw was in TN (I bet it was exit 134) and you had come up that way you would have passed Big Creek Gap in Lafollette, which is where Burnside cme out of the mountains en route to Knoxville. The way he travelled is the modern US 25-W from Jellico to LaFollette. His army went that way, down current US 27 from his supply base (now the town of Burnside, KY) and down US-25/25-E from London through Cumberland Gap. The highway up the valley from Lafollette to the Cumberland Gap area is one of the routes used by Union forces when they surrounded the gap in 1862 and 1863. (The gap changed hands 4 times during the war.)

The Sanders Cafe is where he first made the "original recipe" and sold what is now "Kentucky Fried Chicken" It is not the Colonel's birthplace but the birthplace of KFC. There is a museum there and a KFC next door in case you want to "eat where it all began" It's about 3 miles off the interstate.

Too bad you couldn't stay the night up at Cumberland Falls (just outside of Corbin), since it's a full moon right now the moonbow is visible most of the night.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 35
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 11/23/2007 7:29:21 PM   
Gil R.

Time to revive the thread that's about my personal ACW excursions...

In two weeks, I'll be visiting family in the D.C. area, and by now I've edited enough of these bios to realize that the Battle of Fredericksburg happened right around then. This made me think that it would be the right time of the year to visit the battlefield (and since my birthday's around then, I could even outvote other family members on this use of our time). So the question is, how interesting is Fredericksburg's battlefield, and is it worth an hour-plus drive each way? I would not also use the time to visit the Wilderness or anything else nearby, since the idea of visiting those particular battlefields in the winter is a poor one. It would be just Fredericksburg, then. Advice?

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to LMUBill)
Post #: 36
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 11/30/2007 12:24:36 PM   
fvianello

I visited the town of fredericksburg some years ago and it was fun.
There are some historical buildings, including a tavern with the original 19th century "B&B rules" posted outside (i remember one...."no more than 7 hosts per room"), and reenactors acting as peasants and innkeepers (not sure if they work in winter too).

I can't remember anything about the battlefield, I was just back from gettysburg and that overcome everything else :)

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 37
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 11/30/2007 12:41:51 PM   
jkBluesman

I cannot give a firsthand account, but an American friend of mine was very disappointed when he visited the battlefield. There was not much to see he told me when we made our plans to visit Civil War sites, so we did not go there.

< Message edited by jkBluesman -- 11/30/2007 12:42:18 PM >

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 38
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 12/3/2007 7:52:48 AM   
shenandoah

Fredericksburg battlefield I feel is worth the trip. Most noticible is that the field in which the Union assualted the stone wall at Marye's Heights is now residential. Some of the stone wall that still exists and the road behind it.

Enter Fredericksburg by crossing the Rapp. River like the Union did. Go through town and drive through the residential neighborhood to get to the visitor center at the stone wall. You will follow close to the same route as the union did exept in the comfort of your car. There are signs to guide you.

Park at the visitor center. Get a map, walk around and stand at the stone wall and look beyond and you can imagine ...advancing up the slope the color of blue and steel from the Union forces development of residential housing!

A famous photo of the 2nd Fredericksburg battle by Andrew Russell was in the area there. A house still stands from the battle with many holes. You can also drive the entire length of the defensive live. To where the first Union assualt occured and beyond that, a nice drive through the woods(no houses).

You can also head out west by the turnpike (route 3) and head to Chancellorsville and the Wilderness. Museum and monuments out that way and development. Actually, too much to see in one day. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate. Enjoy.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 39
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 12/3/2007 9:13:57 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: shenandoah

Fredericksburg battlefield I feel is worth the trip. Most noticible is that the field in which the Union assualted the stone wall at Marye's Heights is now residential. Some of the stone wall that still exists and the road behind it.

I agree that it is worth the time. Actually the entire Northern Virginia area is a Civil War enthusiasts dream. Many years ago when I was at Quantico for 3 months, I spent a few weekends just going to the various battlefields in the area. A somber, inspirational and almost surreal experience to say the least.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 12/3/2007 9:16:31 PM >

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 40
RE: Visiting Civil War sites - 12/4/2007 10:17:50 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to see what the weather's like, plus there may be other factors. As for Spotsylvania Court House and the Wilderness, those I'll put off until it's the right time of year. It's not the Wilderness if the trees have no leaves.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Visiting Civil War sites Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI