Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why no weather report?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Why no weather report? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 12:52:54 AM   
MarkShot

Being as how weather is a big deal in this game you would figure that you would, at least, be able to know which way a front is moving and how fast.

???

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
Post #: 1
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 1:03:14 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

Being as how weather is a big deal in this game you would figure that you would, at least, be able to know which way a front is moving and how fast.

???

You can see the weather right on the screen and watch it move. Why add another report when your looking at the screen watching the weather anyhow so you can keep your TG's hidden in it? I dunno, it wouldn't make sense IMO from a design standpoint unless they were killing time.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 2
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 1:07:13 AM   
MarkShot

Simply if I wanted to maintain my cover without watching it by just setting course and speed. Seem reasonable, but then what do I know, I have only had the game a few days. :)

Actually, I was also wondering if the player should really know the weather over the entire theater if their should be some FOW - fog of weather ...

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 3
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 1:31:31 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

Actually, I was also wondering if the player should really know the weather over the entire theater if their should be some FOW - fog of weather ...

The satellite view is a bit of a stretch, at least in the level of detail it affords players. I shamelessly bury myself in the fattest, darkest of weather systems, seeking refuge of course. Were I made king for a day and had to determine the features fate, I'd probably rule this one a maybe.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 4
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 1:41:07 AM   
82nd Airborne

quote:

Simply if I wanted to maintain my cover without watching it by just setting course and speed. Seem reasonable, but then what do I know, I have only had the game a few days. :)

It seems to change directions at times so you might be more frustrated by that than anything. A few seconds watching the clouds seems to work pretty good.

quote:

with all the subs and search planes, plus coastwatchers it doesn't seem a stretch to know the weather in ones operational area, but then again that is my decidedly unscientific opinion.

< Message edited by 82nd Airborne -- 6/15/2007 1:42:36 AM >

"I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal." - Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 5
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 2:48:46 AM   
Gregor_SSG

There are quite a few things in the game that you know when strictly speaking you shouldn't. Knowing the weather over Rabaul as the US player is a bit problematic, but then you can't benefit from knowing it, so no harm done.

So I think we've got it roughly right. You see more weather than you should but we don't make it too easy for you to stay in weather systems.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 6
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 3:18:56 AM   
blastpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG

So I think we've got it roughly right. You see more weather than you should but we don't make it too easy for you to stay in weather systems.

Gregor

The modern day weatherman has problems predicting the forecast with Satelites and computers. A game weather forecast should be substantially less than 50% correct, making them worthless from a gamers P.O.V. so things are fine as programmed...

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 7
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 1:37:12 PM   
jhdeerslayer

So how do you tell if the weather is low, high, or squalls? Darkness of the cloud hex?

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 8
RE: Why no weather report? - 6/15/2007 2:25:49 PM   
Massattack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

So how do you tell if the weather is low, high, or squalls? Darkness of the cloud hex?

If you click on any of the multitude of searchplanes out, one of the little boxes on the right says something like "flying in clear weather", "Flying in light cloud", "flying in heavy cloud", depending on the hex it is over at the time. My guess is low weather and squalls are imputed in the heavy cloud/darkest grey hexes.

Regards

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Why no weather report? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI