Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: CCAW Screens

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> RE: OT: CCAW Screens Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 3:00:19 AM   
MarkShot

I didn't include combat ...

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 3:00:48 AM   
MarkShot

another ...

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 3:01:20 AM   
MarkShot

last one ...

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 3:16:44 AM   
MarkShot

After plastering some heavy cruisers which tried to jump my carriers, I now attempted to disengage from surface combat.

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 3:36:29 AM   
MarkShot

The Japanese at the extreme limits of their reach try a desparate strike 700 miles out with Sun soon to set. In this shot, my CAP heavily damages a Kate.

This strategy has worked very well for me. I ran from them all the previous day keeping out off their reach. When darkness came, I reversed course steaming at top speed to close with them. At 04:00, I armed up my air wings anticipating a morning spotting. In the early morning hours, I struck with everything. The strategy was almost perfect except what I thought was a CV group turned out to be a formation of heavy cruisers. Oh, well ... (4 sunk)

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 5:39:58 AM   
Warfare1

MarkShot:

Many, many thanks for the screenshots

This has to be the largest collection of screen shots for CCAW that I have seen on the internet.

From the pictures, the game still holds up very well.

I have a couple questions regarding the game:

1) Are all those "still" shots - meaning there is NO animation?

2) Are there sound effects such as planes diving, bombs dropping, air raid sirens, naval guns, etc?

3) Does each scenario have random starting places and forces?

4) Is there a random scenario creator?

Thanks again - looking at them is a real treat.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/28/2007 5:42:03 AM >

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 5:50:04 AM   
MarkShot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warspite3

Is that the old original CaW? If so why play it when the new one is out now? Unless of course you want to bring back memories for some reason

Man, I am having a great time now that I have the basics down. I have been playing hide and seek with one Japanese CV TG for the last few days. I need to do this partly as a matter of force preservation and partly because they have a longer reach than me. So, I have been trying to use squalls, overcast, and darkness to position such that I strike a decimating blow to the Rising Sun with the Rising Sun. :)

You see me here, the three little white circles towards the center. The Japanese CV force is about 400nm to my East. They just launched another long range pitiful strike against my force. First, most of their strike force was unable to find my ships in the weather. Second, they are once again caught by darkness. Now, of course, this data could be inaccurate, but it look like Japanese air losses are simply climbing due to some very futile attempts to take my carriers out of the fight. In the meantime, I consider that I am winning, since I guess until they neutralize my carriers, they cannot invade Port Mo.

I haven't had this much fun playing hide and seak, since commanding a u-boat on the prowl in the North Atlantic (Aces of the Deep; not SH3).

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 5:57:05 AM   
MarkShot

Warfare1,

The naval combat screens do include mild animation (not at the level of CAW) and sounds of AAA, bombs, and torpedoes. However, it accomplishes what it needs to.

Randomness - yes, as I was learning ... I started this scenario a few times. Either the enemy disposition was varied or my spotting reports were. (I cannot say which.)

There is no quick battle creator either in CCAW or CAW.

Glad you are enjoying the pics. Thank the folks who programmed DOSBOX as they have made so many old classics live again. I have also tried Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007, but it cannot touch DOSBOX in terms of smoothness and ease of use.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 4:41:58 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

Warfare1,

The naval combat screens do include mild animation (not at the level of CAW) and sounds of AAA, bombs, and torpedoes. However, it accomplishes what it needs to.

Randomness - yes, as I was learning ... I started this scenario a few times. Either the enemy disposition was varied or my spotting reports were. (I cannot say which.)

There is no quick battle creator either in CCAW or CAW.

Glad you are enjoying the pics. Thank the folks who programmed DOSBOX as they have made so many old classics live again. I have also tried Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007, but it cannot touch DOSBOX in terms of smoothness and ease of use.

Thanks for the reply.

I especially like the fact that the action screens of the ships are quite large so we get to see the ships/Ack-Ack/and torpedo damage.

To me, the pictures do the job. It's the game play that counts.

Imagination is the biggest 3D/Graphics engine available.

Thanks again for the pics.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/28/2007 5:35:45 PM   
MarkShot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grauer_Wolf

I have the game too, but my Version have not Scenario Atlantic and PQ 17.

Can you post Screens from them ?!

Thanks...

Sorry for my english.

Check your email. If you receive nothing, then check your SPAM filter.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Grauer_Wolf)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/29/2007 2:43:52 AM   
MarkShot

I guess the AI is good enough. :)

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/30/2007 6:26:28 AM   
utexgrad

In another life I used to do software reviews and SSG was kind enough to send me a copy of CCAW, which I still have. It came with a cool tri-fold card with all of the maps printed on it, and the "press kit" I got with it said it would retail for $69.95 US and would run on a 386, but a 486 was recommended. It also required 2mb (yes, MB) of RAM, VGA graphics, DOS 5.0 or higher and an ad-lib or sound blaster card.

They also included a registration card that if you returned it and $2.50 for postage they would send you a Hunt the Bismarck scenario for CCAW. Hmmm....wonder if I can still send it in and get that scenario.....

Ah, nostalgia......

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 12:59:12 AM   
MarkShot

Here is a sequence of screen shots showing how a squadron transfer strike works in CCAW.

This is the Wake scenario. Halsey and the Lex are SE of Wake. The Japanese are preparing to invade; advancing from the South.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MarkShot -- 7/5/2007 1:06:14 AM >

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to utexgrad)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 1:00:15 AM   
MarkShot

There are already two squadrons in the air on their way to strike at the invasion force.

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 1:01:37 AM   
MarkShot

I still have one squadron of torpedo bombers left to commit. Here you see them, but without the range to reach the enemy troop transports.

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 1:03:00 AM   
MarkShot

Here you see the same squadron again, but this time they will use Wake as refueling stop before heading back to the Lex.

Tada!

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 2:21:21 AM   
MarkShot

Another strike transfer shot ...

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 2:25:09 AM   
MarkShot

At wake (turning around) ...

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 2:25:51 AM   
MarkShot

At wake (turning around) ...

Attachment (1)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 49
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/5/2007 5:36:48 AM   
MarkShot

I don't think I fully understand transfer strikes yet. It seems that the squadron strikes the target, then flies on to the land base. Then, it needs to wait for at least one full day worth of turn around. The next morning it flies back off to the carrier. The thing I don't understand is why it cannot refuel and fly back to the same day?

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 50
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/8/2007 10:21:18 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grauer_Wolf

I have the game too, but my Version have not Scenario Atlantic and PQ 17.

My copy had scenarios for all the major battles in the Med, too (Matapan, Cape Teulada and Operation Pedestal among them), plus, IIRC, Norway, Artic Convoys, North Cape (against the Tirpitz) and a bunch of others.

The current iteration of CAW evolving in that great game would be a naval enthusiast's dream

(in reply to Grauer_Wolf)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/25/2007 4:23:37 AM   
helm123456789

When the first version of Carriers at War was out SSG also had an inhouse magazine called Run 5 they sent out I think quarterly that had scenarios you could build with the scenario editor (Feel Old Now).  Spent many an hour building the scenarios from the magazine.  Wonder if SSG still has the old scenarios or maybe they could do reprints of the magazine in PDF.

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 52
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/25/2007 1:54:06 PM   
Erik2

quote:

ORIGINAL: helm123456789

When the first version of Carriers at War was out SSG also had an inhouse magazine called Run 5 they sent out I think quarterly that had scenarios you could build with the scenario editor (Feel Old Now).  Spent many an hour building the scenarios from the magazine.  Wonder if SSG still has the old scenarios or maybe they could do reprints of the magazine in PDF.

The problem with the scenarios in Run5 is that the tables instruct you to input numbers wich stand for different characteristics, type of aircraft etc.
So you may have to run the scenarios in the editor on your C64/Apple to decipher them...
Better to convert the scenarios in CCAW first.
BTW, I still have my old C64-copy with the hardcopy maps etc and also all Run5-magazines.
Nostalgia

(in reply to helm123456789)
Post #: 53
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/23/2008 5:09:41 AM   
MarkShot

Hmm ... I was watching this History Channel today. I felt a temptation to reload CAW/CCAW and give them another go. (archived to tape)

But should I allow myself to be tempted?

I originally archived them, since I didn't think there was enough hardcore strategy besides playing hide and seek in the clounds to make this worth too much time.

Has anyone been playing either of these for more than three months?

Or perhaps I should go back and play some HCCE or H3? But then Harpoon is very savage; a few missiles ruin your whole day. Not much give and take there.

Well, interested to see if anyone has made a big time investment in this title.

Thanks.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Erik2)
Post #: 54
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 6/23/2008 7:09:12 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

This is an interesting topic to the extent that a lot of the art strikes me as sort of garish. Earlier on in the post-release chat about the game, I considered suggesting to SSG that they substitute hi-resolution black-and-white photography like that found in a lot of WW2-era magazines for the grainy, color-screens included in the game. That I didn't bother to do so is a testament to the deaf-ear that the developer turned to the several voices, hereabouts, that roasted the game for it's devotion to the former's apparent credo, "we sold boatloads of this stuff back-when, so don't go telling us how to make games."

Seriously, I fired up CaW '07, just a few days ago and played the Midway historical scenario. Not fifteen minutes into the game, CAP Zeros shot down six B-17 attacking the Kido Butai. What struck me as genuinely irksome about the event was not the outcome (which truly defies history, as no B-17 of any type was lost to Zeros at Midway), but the fact that the bombers were B-17D, rather than the much more survivable B-17E (that actually participated in the battle). It's worth noting that more than one poster cited this and numerous other OOB errors in the game as shipped and subsequently patched, all to no avail.

At no point has SSG ever shown any interest in rectifying such oversights. It probably shouldn't bother me, but the latest, patched version crashed on me shortly after the B-17D were shot down, a metaphor for CaW '07, perhaps. Suffice it to say, I won't be purchasing any more of their games.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 55
RE: OT: CCAW Screens - 7/26/2008 5:39:47 AM   
jco

Pfiuh.... after watching the screenshots from the begining... i wanna play this game AGAIN!!

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> RE: OT: CCAW Screens Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI