Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: still on target for July?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: still on target for July? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 6:45:04 AM   
sol_invictus

It doesn't seem like it will be similar to the boardgame at all. It will be much more detailed. I guess the scale is about the only similarity. I have set up my old boardgame on a few occaisons in the last several months in anticipation. It sure as hell better be released before August. I am counting on mid/late week.

Bossy, yeah, I think this will make an excellent PBEM game. I plan to dive right in.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 31
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 6:54:08 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

PBEM seems like it could be fun, unfortunately I am embroiled in three WitP games at the moment, so I will likely be an AI gamer for a bit. I loved the board game, playing it when I was in the Navy, but unfortunately I ran out of opponents quickly (they preferred Axis and Allies.) Sigh....

Thanks for the response.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 32
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 7:06:11 AM   
sol_invictus

I never could get anyone to play a game in highschool. We only really started one real multi-player game and that didn't last long. WWI just doesn't get any respect. I'm so tired of WWII that I can't force myself to even think about playing a game. I got TOAWIII when it was first released, and I never even considered playing a WWII secenario. GOA will be such a breath of fresh air.

Post #: 33
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 7:19:04 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

I understand about the Great War frustration. My Great Grandfather lived until 1978, and told me about the War in detail right before he died. I believe he knew he would be passing on soon, and wanted to share the mostly gory details before he died. I was twelve then, but remember it like it was yesterday, especially when he stood up from his rocker, dropped his trousers, and showed me the bullet scars in each thigh. He explained to me that the Germans set their machine guns to waist height, and that is what saved his life - he was 6'4" tall, and very thin even to his death. After hearing about the absolute Hell life in the War was like, when it came time for me to serve, I went into the Navy. In as many generations as I can count, I was the only one not to serve in the Army: US, Colonial, or Confederate. Thanks to him, I floated in the Persian Gulf rather than play in the sandbox in Desert Storm.

Interestingly, his wife's father (the fellow in my Avatar) was shot through the thigh also, but at Gettysburg while serving in the 4th AL. He also kept his leg, but was crippled the rest of his life.

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 7/16/2007 7:21:50 AM >

Tho. Jackson

Post #: 34
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 9:13:24 AM   
7th Somersets

AU Tiger,

Do you know where your grandfather served?

Mine was a machine-gunner on the Somme (British - Yorks and Lancs) - so not responsible for your relative's injuries .

Before that the relatives were in the old British Colonial wars in Africa (Natal Mounted Police - near Rorke's Drift and Kaffir Wars).

Regards.

Post #: 35
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 2:14:54 PM   
ejs6263

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

I never could get anyone to play a game in highschool. We only really started one real multi-player game and that didn't last long. WWI just doesn't get any respect. I'm so tired of WWII that I can't force myself to even think about playing a game. I got TOAWIII when it was first released, and I never even considered playing a WWII secenario. GOA will be such a breath of fresh air.

I don't think the issue with WWI is lack of respect as much as with the basic problem of capturing the trench warfare and attrition aspects of the conflict in a way that would both present the war realistically as well as hold the sim community's interest. Having been involved in the beta testing of this game I think Frank finally has captured the essence of the conflict in a way that will give the gamer insight into the strategic problems of the war while maintaining interest in the game itself. I never became bored with this game and actually found myself doing a little studying on the side because of questions the game posed.

Post #: 36
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 4:13:52 PM   
sol_invictus

That sounds promising and only increases my anticipation. I can understand why most people are more attracted to the "sexiness" of the Blitzkrieg as opposed to the muddy and bloody hell of the trenches, but the war was so much more than the Western Front. But like you state, boardgames couldn't really portray the war very well. Hopefully, we hear some good news about GOA on this day.

(in reply to ejs6263)
Post #: 37
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 5:07:38 PM   
7th Somersets

I agree with ejs - having beta'd the game for some time - I still look forward to playing it. I like the wide ranging options re the theatres of war as well as all of the other stuff. It is also great if you manage to get that breakthrough on the Western Front...

Post #: 38
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 5:33:28 PM   
sol_invictus

Is there much of a chance for the TE to make a comeback if the Germans do manage to capture Paris in the first six months of the war?

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 39
RE: still on target for July? - 7/16/2007 5:57:59 PM   
USSLockwood

My Grandfather was at Chateau Thierry. He was gassed and shot by a machinegun. When I was in college, he and I watched an old rerun of 'Sgt. York' together. There is a scene where the Germans are charging down a ridge. Grandpa was 84 or 85 at the time. He turned to me and said "I still hate those guys!".

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

Post #: 40
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 2:07:59 AM   
sabre100

Hi Erik -

Any new info on release date? You said you would have more news for us on Monday.

Thanks

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 41
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 2:08:32 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

Is there much of a chance for the TE to make a comeback if the Germans do manage to capture Paris in the first six months of the war?

Yes - although it's harder, and loss of a few more cities will see France surrender, so it's a thin line. In one of our test games ejs recaptured Paris a couple of times.

Post #: 42
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 2:15:41 AM   
sol_invictus

Thanks SMK.

Yeah, where is the info? We have been denied to the limit of human endurance!

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 43
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 2:26:57 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald
Bossy, yeah, I think this will make an excellent PBEM game. I plan to dive right in.

Excellent. I was hoping to come home today and see this game in the released section.

Post #: 44
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 2:28:51 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre100
Any new info on release date? You said you would have more news for us on Monday.

Yep, it will be released this week. More news tomorrow.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 45
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 2:34:20 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

EXCELLENT news!!!!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 46
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 2:36:21 AM   
sol_invictus

I am almost afraid to believe it. This has made my week. Matrix gives meaning to my pathetic life.

Post #: 47
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 3:02:13 AM   
flintlock

Arinvald, one almost gets the impression that you're eagerly anticipating this title.

Almost.

< Message edited by flintlock -- 7/17/2007 3:05:24 AM >

Post #: 48
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 3:24:23 AM   
Hanal

Remembering the old ADANAC days awaiting this release to see it finally come to be is sweet...congrats Frank! Now, take a day or two off and get cracking on your Franco-Prussian War game!!!!!......

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 49
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 4:48:53 AM   
sol_invictus

Flintlock, I have been anxiously waiting for this game for five years to the month. So yeah, I am a wee bit excited.

Falcon, we haven't heard a peep about the Franco-Prussian War game for years. I think it might be safe to assume that project is a distant dream. I would love to see it actually released though. I imagine TRFSTA is next on the agenda.

< Message edited by Arinvald -- 7/17/2007 7:07:12 AM >

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 50
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 5:13:46 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7th Somersets

AU Tiger,

Do you know where your grandfather served?

Mine was a machine-gunner on the Somme (British - Yorks and Lancs) - so not responsible for your relative's injuries .

Before that the relatives were in the old British Colonial wars in Africa (Natal Mounted Police - near Rorke's Drift and Kaffir Wars).

Regards.

I was too young to ask intelligent questions about his service. All I probably asked was "Did you shoot any Germans?" Unfortunately, any in the family who would know details of his service are all gone, but as to his unit, the 42nd Inf Div:

quote:

The 42nd Division saw its first action at Luneville in February of 1918. During the next ten months, the Division took part in engagements at Baccart, Esperance-Souaine, Champagne-Marne, Aisne-Marne, Essey-Pannes, and the final great Allied offensive at Meuse-Argonne.

I don't know how long he was "over there", but I do know he went over as a corporal and came back a sergeant. According to an uncle, he was an incredible marksman (the actual quote involved shooting the 'jewels' off a gnat) even into his later years, so you can deduce his probable job from that. Before the war he served under "Black Jack" in Mexico chasing Pancho Villa, and came home from that adventure with a poor opinion of a certain Lt. Patton. It is unfortunate, but I know more about the service records of two Confederate ancestors than I do my Great Grandfather. I will definitely look into it though. I have a photo of him in uniform before he headed off to either Mexico or France, and he looks exactly like what he was: a beanpole country youngster going off to war.

As far as ancestors serving in the Colonial Wars, I know of only one for sure, and he fought the Monarchists in South Carolina.

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 7/17/2007 5:18:48 AM >

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 51
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 6:29:36 AM   
cdbeck

All I have to say in response to Erik is this:

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

Post #: 52
RE: still on target for July? - 7/17/2007 8:27:30 AM   
sabre100

Based on the forum in Campaigns on the Danube, I think Frank is currently working on Volume 2 of Campaigns on the Danube according to this post:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1453013

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 53
RE: still on target for July? - 7/18/2007 12:45:40 AM   
stevekten

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre100

Since tomorrow is to day and will soon be yesterday will we get this info tomorrow?

< Message edited by Kten -- 7/18/2007 12:46:56 AM >

Post #: 54
RE: still on target for July? - 7/18/2007 3:06:17 AM   
elmo3

It's like the sign that is always in the pub window: Free Beer Tomorrow.

(in reply to stevekten)
Post #: 55
RE: still on target for July? - 7/18/2007 3:24:57 AM   
sol_invictus

This is almost unbearable.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 56
RE: still on target for July? - 7/18/2007 3:31:28 AM   
Hanal

I WILL GLADLY PAY YOU TUESDAY FOR GUNS OF AUGUST TODAY!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: still on target for July? - 7/18/2007 3:35:18 AM   
sol_invictus

Hey, how did he snag a copy so quick? Wonder if he would trade for a Big Mac.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 58
RE: still on target for July? - 7/18/2007 5:02:40 AM   
SMK-at-work

It's tomorrow here for 16/hours a day.....get a move on will ya!! ;)

Post #: 59
RE: still on target for July? - 7/18/2007 5:56:48 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, latest info - we are doing one last re-build due to a few missing sound files that were caught at the last minute today. We don't expect this to delay things by more than a day, so we're still planning for a release by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted as soon as the exact day is set.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: still on target for July? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI