Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/4/2007 10:06:11 PM   
bradfordkay

It may only be my bad luck, but it seems that whenever one of my loaded tankers is torpedoed, it loses its entire cargo. This is not the case with freighters, just tankers. Are any of you guys experiencing this?

If this is the case (that tankers lose their whole cargo when torpedoed)and it reflects the real situation, then the SS Ohio saga would not have been nearly as compelling...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 7/4/2007 10:08:16 PM >

fair winds,
Brad
Post #: 1
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/4/2007 10:10:27 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

It may only be my bad luck, but it seems that whenever one of my loaded tankers is torpedoed, it loses its entire cargo. This is not the case with freighters, just tankers. Are any of you guys experiencing this?

If this is the case (that tankers lose their whole cargo when torpedoed)and it reflects the real situation, then the SS Ohio saga would not have been nearly as compelling...

It's probably to represent a) the load pouring out through massive holes in the sides, and b) the load being consumed by fires. Most of my tankers seem to keep a fraction of their initial load though

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/4/2007 10:14:09 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

IIRC, this was a change in one of the patches. Before, tankers did not lose any cargo regardless of fire level.

I believe that the amount of oil/fuel lost is proportional to the fire level. Seems I read that somewhere but I'm not sure when or where.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

Post #: 3
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/4/2007 10:39:46 PM   
goodboyladdie

If someone was shooting torpedoes at me I think I would lose my load too...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 4
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/4/2007 10:48:02 PM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

punch a hole in the bottom of a dixie cup and all your beer is gonna go byebye...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Post #: 5
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/4/2007 10:48:26 PM   
Speedysteve

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 6
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/4/2007 10:48:31 PM   
bradfordkay

"I believe that the amount of oil/fuel lost is proportional to the fire level. Seems I read that somewhere but I'm not sure when or where."

That was my thinking as well(and has been my experience with freighters), and so it is probably just my bad luck that the ships I've looked at all were completely emptied right away, with not such high levels of damage as of yet. It's always the worst cases that you remember, right?

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 7
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 12:28:14 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

I think you gave the most appropriate answer of them all!

Post #: 8
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 2:27:22 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

See Boys and Girls? These dastardly WiTP players are the most troublesome of all with their witty remarks.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Post #: 9
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 3:35:31 AM   
Yamato hugger

Thats actually one of my favorite allied tactics. Get a ship thats burning and park them where there is a lot of fuel or oil in the case of tankers, set your TF to "do not unload" and load your fuel. The ship will consume the fuel at a much faster pace than you ever could by shipping it out. Works with supplies also, but the supplies dont seem to keep the fire burning like it does with fuel.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 10
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 12:09:12 PM   
veji1

Isn't that tactic a tiny bit gamey ? Actually I guess not, it could be analysed as sabotaging the installations before retreat.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 11
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 12:34:25 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: veji1

Isn't that tactic a tiny bit gamey ? Actually I guess not, it could be analysed as sabotaging the installations before retreat.

lol, that must be a pretty abstract view of it...

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 12
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 1:54:46 PM   
AmiralLaurent

Well as players are unable to stop oil and resource centers from producing things even when a Japanese invasion force is arriving, any mean to destroy oil/etc... is OK for me.

As for the game it seems to me that all my torpedoed AO/TK lost at least half their load when torpedoed. But I have never seen one lost all its load (and still eb afloat at the end of the turn).

As for AK, I had one example last turn. An Ak with 6400 supplies was hit once by a patrolling Allied AC. With level 5 fire (total damage 17/19/5) around 800 supplies were destroyed.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 13
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 1:59:17 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Thats actually one of my favorite allied tactics. Get a ship thats burning and park them where there is a lot of fuel or oil in the case of tankers, set your TF to "do not unload" and load your fuel. The ship will consume the fuel at a much faster pace than you ever could by shipping it out. Works with supplies also, but the supplies dont seem to keep the fire burning like it does with fuel.

Ingenius Yamato hugger!!!!!

As for tankers losing their load once the hull is punctured: Those loaded ships have a low freeboard to begin with, and is it possible they are jettisoning cargo just to save the ship?
They may be exchanging the level of imflammables with water to stem the growth of fires.
(Ever been near a refinery accident?)
It gets warm quickly, for a great distance....

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 14
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 3:23:23 PM   
TheTomDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

As for tankers losing their load once the hull is punctured: Those loaded ships have a low freeboard to begin with, and is it possible they are jettisoning cargo just to save the ship?
They may be exchanging the level of imflammables with water to stem the growth of fires.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 15
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 4:47:35 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AmiralLaurent

Well as players are unable to stop oil and resource centers from producing things even when a Japanese invasion force is arriving, any mean to destroy oil/etc... is OK for me.

As for the game it seems to me that all my torpedoed AO/TK lost at least half their load when torpedoed. But I have never seen one lost all its load (and still eb afloat at the end of the turn).

As for AK, I had one example last turn. An Ak with 6400 supplies was hit once by a patrolling Allied AC. With level 5 fire (total damage 17/19/5) around 800 supplies were destroyed.

but oil and ressources can also be destroyed by this random die roll that destroys the facilities. I´ve seen it often enough. Taking Palembang or Balikpapan very late and then all I find is perhaps 15000 oil and when I asked my opponent about shipping it out he most often told me: of course not, there were Betties just a couple of hexes away...

there are many things "abstract" enough for me, that I find it TOO "abstract" to load fuel/oil on a burning tanker to keep a fire burning that is destroying the fuel/oil...

but everyone like he likes it... thinking about another house rule, as you can never know... should make it generally: don´t do things that your opponent can´t explain to himself because you are thinking more abstract than he does...

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 16
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 5:21:15 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

That is beyond ingenious. It is truly demented, sick, twisted and evil....

Captain is on the radio to the Port Admiral......

Captain: "Sir! We have a serious fire and require assistance."
Port Admiral: "I have already dispatched help"
XO: "Captain! Those idiot wharf rats are loading gasoline into us. Can't they see the flames engulfing the fo'c'scle?"
Captain: "Port Admiral! Your men are loading gasoline into my burning ship!"
Port Admiral: "Yes captain, I know."
Captain: "Sir? Have you been replaced by the leader bug and now named Yamabutsu?"

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 17
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 5:27:53 PM   
pmelheck1

I've had tankers hit and get to port with most of their cargo intact.  When I get the "cargo is burning" message I know i'm going to lose all of the cargo and normally the tanker as well.  I had a tanker hit two hexes from Brisbane in one game.  The tanker limped in Brisbane looking like a torch with a full load of fuel, almost no system damage and no float damage but 50 fire damage.  It took something like 3 or 4 days for the fire to burn out.  Even in brisbane it was a near thing, ship had 70-80 sys damage and some 90 float damage when the fires were put out.  I did manage to save the ship but i know it would have been lost if it had happened in the middle of nowhere.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 18
RE: Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? - 7/5/2007 10:53:25 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

That is beyond ingenious. It is truly demented, sick, twisted and evil....

Captain is on the radio to the Port Admiral......

Captain: "Sir! We have a serious fire and require assistance."
Port Admiral: "I have already dispatched help"
XO: "Captain! Those idiot wharf rats are loading gasoline into us. Can't they see the flames engulfing the fo'c'scle?"
Captain: "Port Admiral! Your men are loading gasoline into my burning ship!"
Port Admiral: "Yes captain, I know."
Captain: "Sir? Have you been replaced by the leader bug and now named Yamabutsu?"

Perhaps so, however: the game wont let you light a match to it until the enemy is actually pushing you out of the hex. The highly trained civilians (that would have been evacuated WEEKS before the base falls) continue to churn out oil / fuel / resources / supplies knowing full well that the Japs are coming and nothing is going to stop them. I am reminded of a scene from the movie "Father Goose", and although a comedy, it was surprisingly realistic in many ways including that the Aussies were prepairing to blow up the docks ("I helped build them sir, I can certainly blow them apart" Trevor Howard says). The Japs werent charging the walls at the time. This is my way of lighting that torch.

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 7/5/2007 10:55:28 PM >

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Why do tanker lose their whole load when torpedoed? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI