Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GoA and Windows Vista

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Guns of August Support >> GoA and Windows Vista Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 5:14:49 PM   
oi_you_nutter

from my initial trials of playing GoA on Vista, the important answer is that it does work

The Installs without incident
as with other Matrix Games it defaults to installing in C:\Matrix Games\<name of game> instead of the C:|Program Files\etc. This is not a problem, just be aware of it.

When running the game from the quick start link created by the Installer.

The User Access Control prompts for elevated access...
let it have access, otherwise GoA will not run, there are error messages and you have to terminate trench.exe via task manager

running on Vista Ultimate
Post #: 1
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 6:29:41 PM   
epicat

I'm running Vista, and keep getting an error during playback. Not every playback. It's then stuck in the "playback" mode, and I can't even save.

I don't know if this is caused by Vista. It's Vista Home Premium.

Epi

(in reply to oi_you_nutter)
Post #: 2
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 6:53:35 PM   
Sham_13

At first I had lots of errors but after setting it to Compatibility XP and Administrator it seems to be working fine.

Vista Home Premium 64

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 3
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 7:06:01 PM   
epicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sham_13

At first I had lots of errors but after setting it to Compatibility XP and Administrator it seems to be working fine.

Vista Home Premium 64

I started the scenario without compatability mode. I started it after I got my first crash. I guess I should start a fresh scenario under compatability mode.

I've always had it set to run as an administrator.

Epi

(in reply to Sham_13)
Post #: 4
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 7:20:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

I believe you'll have to set it to Compatibility Mode for XPSP2 and also may need to Run As Administrator.

Please note that Vista is not on the supported OS list for Guns of August.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 5
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 9:20:36 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

That's very disappointing. Will it ever be a supported OS for GoA?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 9:38:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

Well, GOA "works" on Vista but only if you set the compatibility settings - so you could play it right now but it would need to run natively to be officially supported. I won't rule out that a future update may allow us to add Vista to the officially supported list, but not right now.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/24/2007 11:22:48 PM   
epicat

I started a new scenario, under compatability mode. I still get the playback crash. Replaying doesn't seem to help it (I saved just before). I think it's when it's starting up a new turn.

Update: Replaying did help. It's when it want's to deliver the victory screen. It was the end of 1914.

Update #2: It seems it was a conflict with another program.

< Message edited by epicat -- 7/25/2007 7:24:30 AM >

Epi

Post #: 8
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/25/2007 12:45:13 AM   
wesy

I'm running GOA under Vista Enterprise - w/o running in compatibility mode. The only error i get is the occassional trench.exe error, which i just kill the process.

Post #: 9
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/25/2007 1:48:18 AM   
bigmilt

Eric:

I hate to say this - it's not like vista came out yesterday - that was February.  All of your new titles should be written to handle vista.  I am getting my new gaming rig in a couple of weeks and it has
vista on it.  I own quite a few of Matrix games.  You have always put out a quality product or patched them up pretty fast to a quality product.  But if you are not going to keep up with the current OS
then I have to rethink any future Matrix purchases.

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 10
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/25/2007 7:06:52 AM   
SMK-at-work

And Linux has been out for years yet there isn't even any sufggestion that GoA should have to run under it.

it is up to the developers to decide what OS'd they will support - if you want to run an OS that isnt' supported then you are choosing to have the problems that you encounter. 

(in reply to bigmilt)
Post #: 11
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/25/2007 7:15:20 AM   
epicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

And Linux has been out for years yet there isn't even any sufggestion that GoA should have to run under it.

it is up to the developers to decide what OS'd they will support - if you want to run an OS that isnt' supported then you are choosing to have the problems that you encounter. 

Then there's the real world...

Are you seriously trying to compare Linux to Windows? Been drinking?

I imagine it wouldn't have this problem, if the development started after Vista came out.

Epi

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 12
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/25/2007 12:54:57 PM   
Sham_13

The biggest problems as i understand it with Vista is the UAC stuff being more aggressive (hence the need to set things as administrator), the complete lack of DirectSound support and of course DirectX 10. 64 bit is even worse as some install programs don't work and other parts brought over from XP are also in 64 bit.

Really though i've found that most of the Matrix games I own just need some slight fiddling to the compatabiltiy settings and they start working. Had to do that to Games which supposedly were designed for Vista

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 13
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 1:59:09 AM   
wesy

epicat - i ran into the problem you did - do you mind telling what program created the conflict?

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 14
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 2:07:16 AM   
SMK-at-work

I imagine that if the development started after Vista came out the developer would have made a choice whether to develop it for that OS or not.

but it wasn't, and he didn't, and he has noted the OS's for which is WILL run, nd if you buy it intending to run it on a different OS then it's pretty lame blaming the developer for your mistake!

Of course I'm not comparing Linux to Windows - but I can if you like,....my 13 yr old son runs a Linux drive on my machine, I run XP and have Vista on standby awaiting news as to when it will become as reliable and as useful as either of those......your problems are helping convince me it's not going to be my OS of choice any time soon.

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 7/26/2007 2:08:19 AM >

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 15
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 2:34:13 AM   
epicat

quote:

I imagine that if the development started after Vista came out the developer would have made a choice whether to develop it for that OS or not.

Do you mean a choice about whether, or not to make money. It's not really a choice. Why do you think he chose to support XP?

quote:

but it wasn't, and he didn't, and he has noted the OS's for which is WILL run, nd if you buy it intending to run it on a different OS then it's pretty lame blaming the developer for your mistake!

The developer wasn't blamed for a mistake. The publisher was blamed for not supporting Vista. The poster said he might discontinue buying Matrix games, because of this. Isn't that what you're implying should be done?

quote:

Of course I'm not comparing Linux to Windows - but I can if you like,....my 13 yr old son runs a Linux drive on my machine, I run XP and have Vista on standby awaiting news as to when it will become as reliable and as useful as either of those......your problems are helping convince me it's not going to be my OS of choice any time soon.

Why is this my problem? Do you really think I care what operating system you use.?

Epi

Post #: 16
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 2:36:41 AM   
epicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: wesy

epicat - i ran into the problem you did - do you mind telling what program created the conflict?

It was µtorrent. A bittorrent program.

I just ran into the problem again, in an unrelated manner. Same error messaqe. I forget what that is.

Epi

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 17
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 5:08:26 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

Why do you think he chose to support XP?

Probably 'cos it's what he started it on way back when, or what he miggrated to...why don't you ask him?

quote:

The developer wasn't blamed for a mistake. The publisher was blamed for not supporting Vista.

nope - you're wrong - the writer was blamed by bigmilt:

quote:

All of your new titles should be written to handle vista. 

quote:

Why is this my problem? Do you really think I care what operating system you use.?

I never said it was your problem - I was asked a question, so I responded.

But regardless, I'd like to thank you for the enertainment - I get to play the game without problems AND watch some tantrums - priceless!

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 7/26/2007 5:10:43 AM >

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 18
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 5:23:41 AM   
epicat

quote:

quote:

Why do you think he chose to support XP?

Probably 'cos it's what he started it on way back when, or what he miggrated to...why don't you ask him?

My point is that XP was the latest Windows sometime around when he started developing this game. Maybe when. That's why he supported it. Vista is the latest version of Windows now.

He had to support XP, because of all the people using it. There was no other choice. What if it just supported Linux? What kind of money do you think he would have a chance of making then. He had no choice. It's pure economics.

quote:

quote:

The developer wasn't blamed for a mistake. The publisher was blamed for not supporting Vista.

nope - you're wrong - the writer was blamed by bigmilt:

quote:

All of your new titles should be written to handle vista. 

That's not the way I read it. All of the publishers new titles. He was talking about not buying the publishers future games.

His post was an example of the economics I'm talking about. The economics that make Vista support imperative in the future. Not necessarily for this game.

Epi

Post #: 19
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 6:00:50 AM   
Erik Rutins

We do consider Vista support important for the future, but as you all know GOA has been in development for a long while and it simply wasn't in the cards for this release.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 20
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 6:11:33 AM   
Bossy573

FYI, I'm running this on Vista Home Premium, not in compatibility mode and it is smooth as silk. No problems at all.

Post #: 21
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 6:20:30 AM   
epicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bossy573

FYI, I'm running this on Vista Home Premium, not in compatibility mode and it is smooth as silk. No problems at all.

The biggest problem I noticed, other than the error, was with UAC.

Epi

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 22
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/26/2007 2:47:11 PM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: epicat

The biggest problem I noticed, other than the error, was with UAC.

I've LONG since turned that nonsense off. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves making security boasts based on a continual harassment of the customer.

Let me say Vista without UAC on is working fine. Have a good firewall, anti-virus and password protect yourself and ditch UAC. It is garbage.

< Message edited by Bossy573 -- 7/26/2007 2:50:06 PM >

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 23
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/27/2007 12:02:50 AM   
oi_you_nutter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I believe you'll have to set it to Compatibility Mode for XPSP2 and also may need to Run As Administrator.

while looking through the pdf manual, i noticed that Vista is listed as a supported OS, along with XP, but no Windows 2000

look at page number 7

Post #: 24
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/27/2007 1:52:03 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, that was a typo in the manual. Note that the store and game website do not list Vista though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 25
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/27/2007 12:08:40 PM   
hpramboeck

Hi all,

following the thread, I would like to mention that I do not have any problem whatsoever running the game on Vista Home Premium, and never had to switch over to admin mode or change settings. Actually, I do not even get the game freeze at the year-end turn (sound on / sound off).

I do not have any other applications open while running the game, although Internet Security is up. No installation of any additional gaming tools etc. So I wonder if we are really talking about a Vista problem???

Besides, congratulatons on a superb game. Took a day to get used to the different mechanics in game-play, but after digging it I found out that exactly these differences give me the extra kick. WWI is a different conflict to portray due the static warfare, but this one finely and nicely covers all aspects on operational level.

Regards

hp

Post #: 26
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/28/2007 6:58:14 AM   
epicat

quote:

So I wonder if we are really talking about a Vista problem???

I've been wondering the same thing.

quote:

Besides, congratulatons on a superb game. Took a day to get used to the different mechanics in game-play, but after digging it I found out that exactly these differences give me the extra kick. WWI is a different conflict to portray due the static warfare, but this one finely and nicely covers all aspects on operational level.

I see some problems with the game, but I can't tear myself away from it.

I wonder why nobody wanted to answer my "gtrench.exe" question. Is it a secret?

Epi

(in reply to hpramboeck)
Post #: 27
RE: GoA and Windows Vista - 7/28/2007 7:07:06 AM   
flintlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: epicat

I wonder why nobody wanted to answer my "gtrench.exe" question. Is it a secret?

I suspect those are extraneous files from when they cut the CD.

(in reply to epicat)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Guns of August Support >> GoA and Windows Vista Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI