Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Two continuing bugs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> For Liberty! Support >> Two continuing bugs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two continuing bugs - 7/31/2007 7:49:17 PM   
gdpsnake

I have For Liberty and have patched to 1.81. I still get two bugs.

First, rule 32.11 says the attacker must rout/kill 1/3 of the defender to win yet in battle after battle, the attacker wins by doing NOTHING. In several cases (I am American), the British forces attack me in a town or in the open. I set up for the defense and wait. The attacker never makes a move. The turns go by with nothing happening and then bam, battle over - British victory! I'm pushed out of the town and the redcoats drink all my beer! This happens whether I am the bigger force or smaller.

Second, the game keeps crashing after a battle (depending on the length of this or previous battles) when returning to the main screen (the map area is blank though the menu area on the left is still there) sometimes with an error "out of resources" and sometimes not. I have to exit and go the save folder to delete the enormous number of saved games (except mine) so I can reload and play again for a while. This process just never ends. CAN WE PLEASE get an option to turn off the automatic game saves ESPECIALLY saving each and every battle turn.

I'm sure these bugs were worked on in earlier updates? In any case, they are back.

I even reloaded the original game and ran each patch in sequence to 1.81 just to make sure nothing was missed - no effect.
I have 1024MB ram with 512 on my video card - I don't think my memory should be getting taxed - it must be the saved game files are 'eating' resources.
Post #: 1
RE: Two continuing bugs - 7/31/2007 10:11:35 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: gdpsnake
First, rule 32.11 says the attacker must rout/kill 1/3 of the defender to win yet in battle after battle, the attacker wins by doing NOTHING. In several cases (I am American), the British forces attack me in a town or in the open. I set up for the defense and wait.

Are you defending with a single militia unit?
As the American I have lost to British cav without taking a loss. I think it has something to do with the combat power of the cav versus militia.

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 2
RE: Two continuing bugs - 8/1/2007 2:57:50 AM   
gdpsnake

James,
No. In all cases the battles involved many units. In one case the attacker had some 12 units to my 7.
I realize it's based on remaining strength? not morale but in some cases I was bigger and he won.
I have now encountered the Dragoon bug too. A dragoon is simply running all over the place beating militia without doing anything. I even try to attack him but the battle ends before I can get to him as he 'runs' to the edge of the board (not leaving) YET still wins.
This needs to be fixed!!!! An attacker MUST have the burden of accomplishing some occupation/damage otherwise a defender standing in place (Many times I never even SEE the enemy) would not simply lose.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 3
RE: Two continuing bugs - 8/1/2007 7:23:01 AM   
Ike99

quote:

I realize it's based on remaining strength? not morale...

Hi gdpsnake, well I`m really confused now. I thought victory in a battle was based on morale. From the rulebook it says....

quote:

31.4 Result of the battle
The result of the battle does not depend on casualties, rather the winner is who forced a retreat on the enemy. So it is not the casualties but the morale changes of each army that will determine the outcome. If neither side could gain a significant advantage in morale, then the battle is a draw and the attacker must return to the hex where it started.

At least my rulebook. You said...
quote:

First, rule 32.11 says the attacker must rout/kill 1/3 of the defender to win yet in battle after battle, the attacker wins by doing NOTHING.

32.1 in my rulebook is talking about the formations. I`ve never seen this in my rulebook about needing to rout/kill 1/3 of the defenders. I just got this game 2 weeks ago, maybe they have changed victory conditions with the patches?

I ¨think¨ battle victory is determined by what side has the most morale points on the board at the end of a battle. So you can outnumber someone but if they have more morale points combined in his units than yours he wins the battle. Even if not a shot is fired.

I ¨think¨ that`s the way it works.

Here my latest battle, at the end of it he had more units in good order than me. Most of mine were running around with white flags or I had rallied them and set them some safe place on the battlefield to sit the rest of it out.

So I`m almost positive his units had more morale points in them combined than mine had combined. So he won.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 8/1/2007 7:56:18 AM >

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 4
RE: Two continuing bugs - 8/1/2007 3:28:15 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: gdpsnake

James,
No. In all cases the battles involved many units. In one case the attacker had some 12 units to my 7.
I realize it's based on remaining strength? not morale but in some cases I was bigger and he won.
I have now encountered the Dragoon bug too. A dragoon is simply running all over the place beating militia without doing anything. I even try to attack him but the battle ends before I can get to him as he 'runs' to the edge of the board (not leaving) YET still wins.
This needs to be fixed!!!! An attacker MUST have the burden of accomplishing some occupation/damage otherwise a defender standing in place (Many times I never even SEE the enemy) would not simply lose.

Can't say I've seen that. Sure does sound like a bug of some sort.

I think if you have 2 or more militia units then the British cav doesn't automatically win the battle. At least it hasn't happened to me yet.

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 5
RE: Two continuing bugs - 8/4/2007 2:55:02 PM   
HussarGames

Battle result calculation is different for automatic and tactical battles.
Auto-battles: morale loss is all that matters.
Tactical battles: the side with the larger force at the end wins generally, but the following also applies:
The attacker must route at least 1/3 of all enemy units to win, or the attacker has a force 10 times stronger than the enemy and it is past turn 8 or the defender has no units on the map.
If the battle runs to the designated turn limit, then the attacker must have routed 1/3 of the enemy units and have a stronger force on map. Alternatively if the attacker is at least 20 times stronger at this point, it means a win.

What you have reported may be a bug, but it also could be that your units are very low xp and the attacker is 10 times stronger than you. If this is not the case or you just want us to verify, please send a save to support@matrixgames.com or info1848@yahoo.com. If you send multiple saves, please zip them.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 6
RE: Two continuing bugs - 8/4/2007 2:57:00 PM   
HussarGames

As for the game running out of resources, it is surely not because of the save files. Or next game will have an option to clean up old autosaves.

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> For Liberty! Support >> Two continuing bugs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI