Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Falklands Conflict

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:10:09 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

You're an apologist for a fascist, and bandying about crap about international law which simply is false, and in doing so have managed to derail a perfectly good thread with your nonsense.

..i know, how dare he offer an opposing point of view..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 181
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:10:46 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

I am surprised about the discussion over who owns the Falkland Islands. I would have thought that with this site consisting of gamers you would all know the rules of island possession, so here is a quick gaming history lession that I hope will clarify the position. In the 15, 16 17 and 18 centuries the European Countries got together to start the game called PLANT THE FLAG. Anyone with a flag could play and any land that the flag was planted into became the property of the flag owner. Advanced rules allowed for trading hence the Falkland Islands are British. By 1800 France was fed up with this game because the industrial revolution in Britain meant that she was mass producing flags so she had clearly won the game. France looked around for a new game and came upon European Conflict which under Napoleon she was very good at. Germany with their esteemed efficiently took the game and made it bigger and better calling it WW1. However the rules were not well thought out resulting in a stalemate. At this time the USA looked over the playground wall and asked to play so she was allowed to join in. Germany took another look at the rules and introduced Blitzkreig which made the came flow a lot better and this game was called WW2. However when the game had already started the USA and Japan were allowed to join. This was a mistake because the USA had obviously been practicing and trounced everyone. While Europe cleaned up after a rather messy game the USA decided to start its own game without the Europeans called COLD WAR. Now Germany was still annoyed that the USA had ruined their last game so they knocked down the Berlin Wall ending the USA's game. Something had to be done so the USA and Europe decided to stop the bickering and play nicely together. The game they started was called GLobal Warming. They were doing nicely, (again the USA was winning) when China and India wanted to join in. More worrying is that lately people who don't even own a flag have started their own game called Global Terrorism claiming that the USA has been playing a solo version of Plant the Flag. I hope this helps to clarify matters and anyone moaning about who owns what should have read the rules earlier.

.. roflmao..

..very Swiftian..

It can't just be me who was thinking of the Eddie Izzrd bit whilst reading this?

....and we built up empires - we stole countries! That's what you do, that's how you build an empire. We stole countries with the cunning use of flags! Yeah, just sail around the world and stick a flag in.

"I claim India for Britain!"

They go, "You can't claim us, we live here! 500 million of us!"

"Do you have a flag?"

"We don't need a bloody flag! It's our country, you bar stewards!"

"No flag, no country, you can't have one! That's the rules that I've just made up, and I'm backing it up with this gun that was lent from the National Rifle Association."

That was it, you know?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 182
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:23:58 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

quote:

Ike99: You really need to give it a rest. There are many contested areas around the world and folks claim ownership based on a historical event that makes it work.

Hi Terl. This thread is about the Falklands Conflict.

I`m talking about the Falklands Conflict.

So you really need to give it a rest or go to another thread if you don´t want to talk about the Falklands Conflict.

Rabbit I am going to check out Pink Floyd.

On that Iraq, Mushroom Cloud, Saddam stuff, you yanks and brits can debate that one out amongst yourselves.

The original poster has made it clear he wished to discuss the tactics of the war and not the political issues about ownership of the islands.

..starting a war is "politics "..

..so saying "this' and doing "that' isn't tactics of war, even tho the end result is lots'a folk getting killed, how nice for the instigators, they keep their hands clean cos the actual work is done by the soldiers ???

..and we can't discuss it cos it's politics, cute, real cute..

..sooooo, if the C-in-C is also Fuhrer, what are his decisons then, military so discussable or political ?..only when they involve military action you understand, like invasion of Poland or any other not-actually-at-war-with country..

..i think we should be told..

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 183
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:28:02 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

I am surprised about the discussion over who owns the Falkland Islands. I would have thought that with this site consisting of gamers you would all know the rules of island possession, so here is a quick gaming history lession that I hope will clarify the position. In the 15, 16 17 and 18 centuries the European Countries got together to start the game called PLANT THE FLAG. Anyone with a flag could play and any land that the flag was planted into became the property of the flag owner. Advanced rules allowed for trading hence the Falkland Islands are British. By 1800 France was fed up with this game because the industrial revolution in Britain meant that she was mass producing flags so she had clearly won the game. France looked around for a new game and came upon European Conflict which under Napoleon she was very good at. Germany with their esteemed efficiently took the game and made it bigger and better calling it WW1. However the rules were not well thought out resulting in a stalemate. At this time the USA looked over the playground wall and asked to play so she was allowed to join in. Germany took another look at the rules and introduced Blitzkreig which made the came flow a lot better and this game was called WW2. However when the game had already started the USA and Japan were allowed to join. This was a mistake because the USA had obviously been practicing and trounced everyone. While Europe cleaned up after a rather messy game the USA decided to start its own game without the Europeans called COLD WAR. Now Germany was still annoyed that the USA had ruined their last game so they knocked down the Berlin Wall ending the USA's game. Something had to be done so the USA and Europe decided to stop the bickering and play nicely together. The game they started was called GLobal Warming. They were doing nicely, (again the USA was winning) when China and India wanted to join in. More worrying is that lately people who don't even own a flag have started their own game called Global Terrorism claiming that the USA has been playing a solo version of Plant the Flag. I hope this helps to clarify matters and anyone moaning about who owns what should have read the rules earlier.

.. roflmao..

..very Swiftian..

It can't just be me who was thinking of the Eddie Izzrd bit whilst reading this?

....and we built up empires - we stole countries! That's what you do, that's how you build an empire. We stole countries with the cunning use of flags! Yeah, just sail around the world and stick a flag in.

"I claim India for Britain!"

They go, "You can't claim us, we live here! 500 million of us!"

"Do you have a flag?"

"We don't need a bloody flag! It's our country, you bar stewards!"

"No flag, no country, you can't have one! That's the rules that I've just made up, and I'm backing it up with this gun that was lent from the National Rifle Association."

That was it, you know?

..well i wasn't, who is or what is an Eddie Izzard ?..

..mind you other than the Home Service i last saw the UK some 15 years ago..

..Punkreaper's game looks like fun..

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 184
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:30:55 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7th Somersets

quote:

Ike 99 - just so that you have some information on war crimes:

A war of aggression is a crime under customary international law and refers to any war waged not out of self-defense or sanctioned by the UN.

..cough*cough* h'Iraq*cough*cough

The legality of the invasion of Iraq depends upon the interpretation of UNSC resolution 1442 and whether the UNSC sanctioned the force used.

I do not offer my opinion on that. It is too far off post (and involves court cases that I have dealt with).

..and there was silly ol' me thinking that there were some simple UN rules about declaring war..

..don't see blue helmets tho ....

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 185
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:32:26 PM   
Dixie

For the benefit of others who don't know about Eddie Izzard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8

Mind the language though...

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 186
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:41:49 PM   
GreyFox

quote:

..and there was silly ol' me thinking that there were some simple UN rules about declaring war..

One can argue that the US Senate's authorisation to use military force on Iraq was in effect a declaration of war. Along with the UN resolution 1441, which gave Iraq it's last chance to cooperate, it wrapped things up legally, if somewhat dubiously.

Brute force solves everything. If you ever find it doesn't, you're not using enough - Anon

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 187
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:46:36 PM   
Terminus

VERY dubiously, to say the least... But that's beside the point here. The Falklands war began when a Fascist military dictatorship decided to invade the territory of a democracy. The bad guys lost.

End.

Of.

Story.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to GreyFox)
Post #: 188
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:48:42 PM   
Ike99

quote:

7th Somersets

Still shy I see. Come on Ike 99 - we know that you are here...Sprior - why would Ike 99 let facts get in the way of a good bit of jingoism?

No not shy. Just some where complaining it was getting too political (and that's fair enough) so I went to change it to a soley military aspect thing. Unfortunately someone else...
(cough) sprior (cough)

...made a political comment that I had to respond to.

But just to clarify on the Invincible. No one says it was sunk. Just that an attack was made and it was hit. That`s why they put one mark on the plane...not an ¨X¨ after the attack. The British felt it neccessary to hide this because without both aircraft carriers operational they would have lost their aircover.

So what are you people saying? No attack was made at all? That's obviously a lie. You can say it wasn´t sunk...it wasn´t hit. But to say the attack never even took place is British aire of superiority wishful thinking.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 189
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 5:53:59 PM   
sprior

quote:

quote:

7th Somersets

Still shy I see. Come on Ike 99 - we know that you are here...Sprior - why would Ike 99 let facts get in the way of a good bit of jingoism?

No not shy. Just some where complaining it was getting too political (and that's fair enough) so I went to change it to a soley military aspect thing. Unfortunately someone else...
(cough) sprior (cough)

...made a political comment that I had to respond to.

But just to clarify on the Invincible. No one says it was sunk. Just that an attack was made and it was hit. That`s why they put one mark on the plane...not an ¨X¨ after the attack. The British felt it neccessary to hide this because without both aircraft carriers operational they would have lost their aircover.

So what are you people saying? No attack was made at all? That's obviously a lie. You can say it wasn´t sunk...it wasn´t hit. But to say the attack never even took place is British aire of superiority wishful thinking.

Nobody here has ever said the FAA din't try and sink the Invincible. You claimed she was hit and offered a pic as "proof", saying that the Illustrious returned to Pompey in place of Invincible. I ask again, if that is indeed the Illustrious where are the Phalanx guns?

What I offered before was not political but a refutation of the point you were trying to make. My point was that if they were capable of the actions cited why wouldn't a regime kill 2 pilots to try and "prove" what they, and you, claim.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 190
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:04:11 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

VERY dubiously, to say the least... But that's beside the point here. The Falklands war began when a Fascist military dictatorship decided to invade the territory of a democracy. The bad guys lost.

End.

Of.

Story.

..errr, noooo, the Falklands war began when a Facist (sooooRRyyyy) Conservative mad -person*, elected only because of a flawed electoral system, decided to rig a war with an easily defeatable opponent for who-the-fk-knows what reason..

..thankfully this doesn't happen in these enlightened days..

..*look at the eyes, anyone who organises a war for personal gain is imho totally bats..

..* anyone who can arrest 3'000 year old stones and put them behind razor wire is a loony, especialy when they didn't even get a fair trial..

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 191
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:10:19 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Nobody here has ever said the FAA didn't try and sink the Invincible. You claimed she was hit and offered a pic as "proof", saying that the Illustrious returned to Pompey in place of Invincible. I ask again, if that is indeed the Illustrious where are the Phalanx guns?

They must have taken them off to complete the illusion. Yeah, that's gotta be it...

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 192
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:11:43 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

End.

Of.

Story.

..errr, noooo, the Falklands war began when a Facist (sooooRRyyyy) Conservative mad -person*, elected only because of a flawed electoral system, decided to rig a war with an easily defeatable opponent for who-the-fk-knows what reason..

..*look at the eyes, anyone who organises a war for personal gain is imho totally bats..

..* anyone who can arrest 3'000 year old stones and put them behind razor wire is a loony, especialy when they didn't even get a fair trial..

Riiiight...

Post #: 193
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:14:13 PM   
GreyFox

quote:

No...

Thatcher (boo, hiss, etc) may have had hoofed feet and a cloven tail and all that good stuff according to some people (but not myself), but she did not rig a war with somebody else. The Argentines managed to invade the Falklands all on their very own. What surprised them was that the British didn't bend over and take it willingly, instead fighting back. Argentina was not easily defeated, and victory for Britain was by no means certain.

Ike, the aerial attacks did take place - nobody claimed they didn't. However, Invincible was not sunk or damaged. What happened was the pilots claimed to hit the Invincible. This is not a new phenomenon with combat pilots - they tend to exaggerate everything they've done and in all fairness it is quite difficult to tell what exactly you've managed to destroy/damage when travelling at 500 miles per hour avoiding anti-aircraft fire. What is wrong is continuing to believe them despite proof of the opposite.

< Message edited by GreyFox -- 8/9/2007 6:15:05 PM >

Brute force solves everything. If you ever find it doesn't, you're not using enough - Anon

Post #: 194
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:18:56 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

End.

Of.

Story.

Riiiight...

..you weren't there..

..what other country puts a 3,000 year old temple like Stonehenge behind razor wire and then forbids entry at the major religious festivals, solstices, equinoxes..

..try that in India..

..or Israel..

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 8/9/2007 6:19:16 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 195
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:22:44 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

Unless of course we killed 2 of our own pilots during the conflict so we could say we attacked Invincible.

Why not? You threw people out of planes into the sea.

(Cough cough)
Iraqis dead
(Cough cough)
to
(Cough cough)
¨free¨ them
(Cough cough)
aka steal oil
(Cough cough)

So spare me the morality lecture mate.

??????? how does that have anything to do with the falklands.

< Message edited by bobogoboom -- 8/9/2007 6:26:28 PM >

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 196
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:26:43 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyFox

quote:

No...

but she did not rig a war with somebody else.

..nooo, of course not..

..withdrawing the few remaining military units was an accident..

..at a time when the Argentinians were doing alota mouthing off..even more so..

..did i mention the hot lead ?..

(in reply to GreyFox)
Post #: 197
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:33:06 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

One can argue that the US Senate's authorisation to use military force on Iraq was in effect a declaration of war. Along with the UN resolution 1441, which gave Iraq it's last chance to cooperate, it wrapped things up legally, if somewhat dubiously.

..gosh, the US Senate authorisation out-weighs the UN rules for the Declaration of War...

..oh friggin' goody-goody..

..what next ? added razor wire around Stonehenge ?...

(in reply to GreyFox)
Post #: 198
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:38:32 PM   
GreyFox

quote:

..nooo, of course not..

..withdrawing the few remaining military units was an accident..

..at a time when the Argentinians were doing alota mouthing off..even more so..

..did i mention the hot lead ?..

Yer not taking into account Hanlon's Razor.

Post #: 199
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:40:17 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

Unless of course we killed 2 of our own pilots during the conflict so we could say we attacked Invincible.

(Cough cough)
Iraqis dead
(Cough cough)
to
(Cough cough)
¨free¨ them
(Cough cough)
aka steal oil
(Cough cough)

Not much, but did you really expect it to?

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 200
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:44:27 PM   
sprior

quote:

I'm not your mate.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 201
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:51:40 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

(Cough cough)
Iraqis dead
(Cough cough)
to
(Cough cough)
¨free¨ them
(Cough cough)
aka steal oil
(Cough cough)

Not much, but did you really expect it to?

Plus i don't remember the military junta exactly having a glowing human rights record

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 202
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:54:17 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

quote:

..gosh, the US Senate authorisation out-weighs the UN rules for the Declaration of War...

..oh friggin' goody-goody..

..what next ? added razor wire around Stonehenge ?...

UN is retarded. international law is a joke anyways.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 203
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 6:58:57 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Sprior-Nobody here has ever said the FAA din't try and sink the Invincible.

Yes they did. Here is Dixies comment....

quote:

Dixie-I could claim to be Lord Lucan, it doesn't make it so...Here's some authentic Argie footage of the attack.

BTW Dixie the last comment on that page is in english and says....

¨The propaganda of English is still worse than that of the Argentinian Generals of the time. Everyone knows now that the Invincible had been seriously struck.¨

And here is a modern video of some of the ¨chimpanzees¨ training you boys are up against with the largest airforce south of Texas in this ongoing conflict.

Hmmm...maybe it was some of these ¨chimpanzees¨ who overflew the Malvinas (british admitted) last year that you Brits couldn´t catch in your Tornados.

Grupo 4 De Caza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jBKoP1rPkM

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 8/9/2007 6:59:20 PM >

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 204
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 7:02:02 PM   
bobogoboom

Invading sovereign territory of a NATO member seems like a good idea. Go ahead and try it Argentina v NATO. I'm sorry but I think I am going to take NATO. maybee yall could try and get columbia to help you.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 205
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 7:05:08 PM   
7th Somersets

Some people are incapable of learning anything from history.

And bobogoboom - we had all better watch out, they have SU30s!

< Message edited by 7th Somersets -- 8/9/2007 7:06:14 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 206
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 7:06:40 PM   
Dixie

quote:

BTW Dixie the last comment on that page is in english and says....

¨The propaganda of English is still worse than that of the Argentinian Generals of the time. Everyone knows now that the Invincible had been seriously struck.¨

The fact that it is in English means precisely nothing, many people know English, after all YOU are typing in English....

There are people outside of the UK who feel that the Falklands aren't British. I know there are people in the UK who feel like that, but I get the impression that the author of that comment does not use English as a first language.

< Message edited by Dixie -- 8/9/2007 7:18:14 PM >

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 207
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 7:08:46 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Hmmm...maybe it was some of these ¨chimpanzees¨ who overflew the Malvinas Falklands (british admitted) last year that you Brits couldn´t catch in your Tornados.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 208
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 7:12:21 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

Some people are incapable of learning anything from history.

And bobogoboom - we had all better watch out, they have SU30s!

I'm shaking

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 209
RE: The Falklands Conflict - 8/9/2007 7:32:35 PM   
sprior

And the point of this was? And who or what are chipmanzees? (apart from the obvious monkey-related answer)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Falklands Conflict Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI