Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/11/2000 6:37:00 AM   
Fabs

This is more a defect carried over from previous versions. It concerns the elevations of trenches (previously gullies). I was looking in awe at the excellent map for the "Omaha Beach" mega scenario when I spotted the trench that runs along most of the top of the escarpment overlooking the beach. Sure enough, its elevation is shown as -1, when it should be something else (29, probably). The slope hexes in front of it are elevation 25, those behind it 30. This practically means that trenches can only be usefully represented on level 0 ground. This is an old problem, and if it is corrected the correction should be extended to gullies and to streams, too, as both types of terrain can be found at higher elevations. I've only just started looking at the new version, so if I spot anything else I'll come back. Having said all this, I find what you guys have produced simply excellent, and I want to thank you for making an excellent game system near perfect. ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited September 10, 2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 31
- 9/11/2000 6:56:00 AM   
crazyivan

playing the preparing the way campiagn,and when you save and just carry on all is well,but if you save the game then exit back to your desktop or even just to the start screen of spwaw when you load up your campiagn agian to play these things happen to your squads. 1.us 12 man squads with the REDUCED SQUAD on that have not been damaged or recived no KIA's stay the same ie 10,11,9,12men that you sarted with.but if you had started the battle with say 2-10man 3-11man 3-12man (as you do with the depleated squad button on)squads and they all suffered damge and lost men,no matter how many when you load up the game they all show up as 12man squads or the oob number for that unit but show in the info box when you hit the space bar as damaged. also some enemy mortars(81)french crews stay on the field with there mortar but its destroyed and they the crew does not regester as a target if you target them in fact they show up as not being there figments of my amagination i hope this helps great game pual

"The best form of defence,is attack"

Post #: 32
- 9/11/2000 10:58:00 AM   
Supervisor

Vebba doesn't know How to be sarcastic
quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: If that wasn't sarcasm, then great!

Post #: 33
- 9/11/2000 11:26:00 AM   
Greybear

Paul and Co., download slow (ave 2.3kps). install great. started new WWII campaign, USSR 10/39. first battle 12/39 advance vs Fins. Game crashed turn 3 on end of turn click. no lockup just gone. everything fine till then. (T26 is much faster?) will go back to turn zero save and see if it repeats. Tried again, crashed on turn 2 AI turn, no contact between forces. will delete steel.prf ? and reset them. try a new early USSR campaign. also will the full V4.0 install on a pc without sound? tried again last week to run V2.3 at work. still crashes when splash finishes. [This message has been edited by Greybear (edited September 11, 2000).]

Post #: 34
- 9/11/2000 12:20:00 PM   
David Heath

Greybear What are your system memory and free hard drive space. David

Post #: 35
- 9/11/2000 2:39:00 PM   
Don

I too have noticed the wierd lines while deploying - in fact Paul, I saw them last night when we played but was "pressed for time" and forgot about it. In my (new) campaign battle, yesterday I saw the FO unit showing 5 men, but today I'm getting lots of crews showing the wrong number. Mostly crewmen who've bailed, I've got a 5-man showing 7, 2 4-men showing 5, a 4-man showing 7 and a 3-man crew showing 5. And all 2 man crews are showing as 5. Also, all of my Jumbo tanks pictures are showing artillery. Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

Post #: 36
- 9/11/2000 3:06:00 PM   
cjpaul

I switched to "limited intel off" and my forward observers were still showing up as 5 men with the number 2 on it.

Post #: 37
- 9/11/2000 3:12:00 PM   
Greybear

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Greybear What are your system memory and free hard drive space. David
Dave, Deleteing steel.prf seemed to work. also deleted all my saves. it was a new campaign though. up to turn 11 with no problems (except for breakdowns, 3 of 4 recon vehicles). Manual will not display. My Version of Acrobat is 2.1. will look for newer one. for your question. AMD333 64meg ram, 260meg on partition game installed on. 11gig on primary(new 15gig) Thanks for the quick answer and all the hard work.

Post #: 38
- 9/11/2000 5:50:00 PM   
Fabs

My earlier observations re the elevation of streams/trenches/gullies apply to bridges over them, too. Should bridges not come in several categories, with different elevations according to their importance and the elevation of the last "land" hex before (or first hex after) the obstacle that they clearing? This would be a great improvement, especially if one was able to create bridges not just to go over water or gullies, but also over roads, railroads and between same elevations separated by lower terrain, as you have in real life (this last suggestion is admittedly far more problematic as in "what will then be the elevation of the hex?"). ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

Post #: 39
- 9/11/2000 10:47:00 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: I think this comes from alt-tabbing to Windows and back. I get a black screen when I alt-tab back to SPWaW and afterwards I sometimes see those stripes. Going to a different screen, like by pressing "e" to go to encyclopedia, fixes both for me.
This particular bug comes without alt-tabbing too. I tested for a while and have found out that the neutral victory hexes with the V are the guilty ones. Most of the time when they are in view, the graphics are messed either in those hexes or as wide lines of garbage splitting the view. I confirmed the cause by moving some troops to take over the victory hexes one by one and each time one hex was taken, the garbage vanished. Computer is 266Mhz/192Mb/47Gb/S3 Vision 968... installed new 1.0, patched to 2.0 and 4.0. Effects come even when starting a new game from clean boot and these are new for version 4.0. Have had no problemos before. If someone wants a screenshot they can ask me . Are trenches supposed to be wider than gullies? I find the narrower ditch to look more like a trench than the current wide trench. And Paul, does that 'Fog of War' mean that my Imp. Sniper (Finnish OOB) unit which is two men should show up in the graphics with three? I very much like the new FoW but I should see my own forces accurately, right? ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5 [This message has been edited by Mac (edited September 11, 2000).]

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

Post #: 40
- 9/12/2000 12:29:00 AM   
Kharan

Forgot to mention one cosmetic thing: "Assault failed" message should be displayed when the morale check fails and nothing happens.

Post #: 41
- 9/12/2000 1:04:00 AM   
tlinna

In TCP/IP online play (I believe it doesn't happen in other modes), occasionally a vehicle disappears when infantry unit destroys it and the attacker doesn't get any information what happened, it just disappeares, no weapons fired, nothing. It isn't too bad, but it's nice to know what happens.

-- Tapani Linnaluoto

Post #: 42
- 9/12/2000 1:51:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

These are usually latency driven when one computer or connection is faster than the other - a result gets "lost". Occasionally you will see one result (an infantry unit takes a casualty and retreats) and then a different one (the infantry unit takes a casualty and doesn't retreat). This is caused by one machine "getting ahead" of the othe rmomentarily and then the game synching them up. Consider it a little FOW We can't stop them, only make sure the game realizes when they happen and corect for them - unfoirtunately occasionally skipping the message informing you want happened...

Post #: 43
- 9/12/2000 3:20:00 AM   
Fabs

No answers to my earlier posts about gullies/trenches/stream and bridge elevations. Does that mean that they are noted or that they are being ignored? I have a more serious problem now, to do with my own designed scenarios. When I design scenarios I spend quite a bit of time adjusting the number of men in the infantry squads. It is more realistic and it helps me to balance play. I do it using Fred's editor. I now find that the game has re-set all these numbers to near full complements. When I used Fred's Waved editor to re-set them, I found upon re-loading the scenario that my work has been ignored. When I tried the reduced squads option I found the reductions are much less than the ones I have implemented. Result: a ruined scenario that took me hours to develop. I went back to Fred's Waved and re-loaded the scenario into it.It is reporting the numbers as I had originally set them. Just what is going on here? How can I get the game to recognize my original settings? ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited September 11, 2000).]

Fabs

Post #: 44
- 9/12/2000 3:39:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

When I have some feedback I'll provide it! Right now it looks like the -1 level thing can't be fixed, but I don't know for sure. We do this part-time believe it or not...give us some time to check things out! One of the problems of posting a lot is folks come to expect instant replies...I only have so much time to check in quick and post...If I don't respond to a question it generally means I don't have an answer on the tip of my tongue. We'll get to it! Give us a couple days. If say a week goes by and you don't hear back, a friendly reminder is in order - but we can't support <24 hour turnaround on everything!

Post #: 45
- 9/12/2000 4:20:00 AM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: When I have some feedback I'll provide it! Right now it looks like the -1 level thing can't be fixed, but I don't know for sure. We do this part-time believe it or not...give us some time to check things out! One of the problems of posting a lot is folks come to expect instant replies...I only have so much time to check in quick and post...If I don't respond to a question it generally means I don't have an answer on the tip of my tongue. We'll get to it! Give us a couple days. If say a week goes by and you don't hear back, a friendly reminder is in order - but we can't support <24 hour turnaround on everything!
I am sorry if I sounded impatient, I had noticed that other queries were being aknowledged. I know you guys work hard and that you do this for free. My spleen was stimulated by the fear of having lost my work on my scenarios. I apologize again for my unjustified outburst. In the mean time, I have worked out that if I play the game with "reduced squads" turned off it will use my values. The same applies to the editor. So, I am a happy camper again. No hard feelings, I hope. ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited September 11, 2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited September 11, 2000).]

Fabs

Post #: 46
- 9/12/2000 5:59:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

No problem - your understanding is appreciated - My apologies if I get short as well - so much we want to do and so little time...

Post #: 47
- 9/12/2000 9:29:00 AM   
victorhauser

Regarding aircraft, I think it would be historical to make the aircraft of many nationalities Elite Troops +10.

VAH

Post #: 48
- 9/12/2000 10:53:00 AM   
Grisha

I may have missed a post, but here's a possible bug, nonetheless. The F7 key. I'm not sure what it does, but it doesn't give movement radius.

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

Post #: 49
- 9/12/2000 11:35:00 AM   
David Heath

I think it is a graphic glitch... it will be corrected in the next patch..... we are hoping later this week or early next. David

Post #: 50
- 9/12/2000 12:00:00 PM   
Cona

Hi Matrix: A few complains to share with you: 1) While reasigning units to other formations, the HQs get changed to one of the new units ... it's that ok ? 2) One of my snipers walked over a mine field and get killed twice ! ... i mean, there was just ONE man in the unit. His digital soul refused to leave that hex and was able to rally himself the turn after. I wonder if his ghost can scare an enemy unit ! 3) The manual almost ignore the buttons of the deployment screen. Thanks, and excuse my poor english. Cona.

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

Post #: 51
- 9/12/2000 12:13:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Was the zombie sniper in an online game or vs the AI?

Post #: 52
- 9/12/2000 12:20:00 PM   
Cona

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Was the zombie sniper in an online game or vs the AI?
That was versus the AI, in the first battle of a campaign as the Soviets against the Finns ... an assault. Got DECIMATED ! Cona.

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

Post #: 53
- 9/12/2000 3:01:00 PM   
crazyivan

Pual just a quik Q i'm a long campiagn german and i'm up agianst a lot of us 57mm at guns they seam to fire a least 4-5 times in rapid succesion befor i can op fire back do you have a idea on this as to why my message delay etc is both set on 60 and my op is on 5 secounds,it seams only to happen with small caliber weapons at the present . thanks alot for your time and efforts they don't go amiss

"The best form of defence,is attack"

Post #: 54
- 9/12/2000 4:22:00 PM   
Grok

Played an online randomly generated scenerio Finns vs French I was french Finn squads decimated my squads in as little as one firing, mostly two firings...way too much firepower IMO Dirt road on battle map was superimposed over right side of screen covering the buttons, whenever the map was scrolled to the dirt road It disappeared as soon as dirt road was no longer showing on battle map French units were unable to recover from suppression as the rally button stayed dark and inoperative after the 3rd turn so far thats all the problems I have encountered Grok P.M.S. I'm dutyfully gratefull to the staff for taking the time to re-design a good game and making it better(my back hurts...can I stop bowing now?) : )

"My teeth have more bite, than your mouth has bark!"

Post #: 55
- 9/12/2000 5:17:00 PM   
Fredde

Addition to the sniper post above: i saw this happen before 4.0 as well. I sent one of my Jap snipers through a minefield, the one man took two casualties and still survived.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 56
- 9/12/2000 6:58:00 PM   
headhunter

1. Long Campaign: The "Fix" button does not work; instead the unit upgrade screen comes up. Update: My Error. Sorry. Actually it does work. 2. Campaign, first Battle, I surrendered on first turn. Results: decisive defeat, me: ~0 pts, enemy: ~2000 pts Next Battle, same core force, same procedure. Results: decisive defeat, me: 180pts, enemy 180pts. Hm. The later don't look right to me. I didn't have the time to fully check out v4 yet (just a small peek this morning before work), but from what I've seen, it looks great ! Thank you very much, Matrix !! [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 15, 2000).] [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 15, 2000).]

Post #: 57
- 9/12/2000 9:25:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Originally posted by crazyivan: Pual just a quik Q i'm a long campiagn german and i'm up agianst a lot of us 57mm at guns they seam to fire a least 4-5 times in rapid succesion befor i can op fire back do you have a idea on this as to why my message delay etc is both set on 60 and my op is on 5 secounds,it seams only to happen with small caliber weapons at the present . thanks alot for your time and efforts they don't go amiss
Just to clarify - You move a tank say, and the AI opfires the same gun 4 or 5 times before control goes back to you? Or are multiple guns firing one after the other? Also which version and which game type? The first would be a bug (one I have not observed) - a given unit should only fire one time per opfire activation. If the 2nd - it is why Pak fronts are so dangerous... [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited September 12, 2000).]

Post #: 58
- 9/13/2000 12:41:00 AM   
Tommy

I can make the game crash to the desktop everytime by doing this: Go to the saved games list. click on a "saved" game. click on the "start" button. immediately move the mouse down to click on the "continue" button that will show up on the next screen. The game disappears, you are back to the desktop. Win NT ver 4.0 SR4 330 mhz PII All else works fine. Tommy

Post #: 59
- 9/13/2000 1:47:00 AM   
Major Destruction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by crazyivan: [also some enemy mortars(81)french crews stay on the field with there mortar but its destroyed and they the crew does not regester as a target if you target them in fact they show up as not being there figments of my amagination] Some mortar and mmg graphics do not change to the destroyed unit icon when the unit is destroyed. This occurs not only with the France icons. I have noticed that some of these destroyed units show the full squad icon (with smoke) after returning to a battle following a save. However the crew is all dead. No need to go hunting for them.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI