Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/21/2000 12:14:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The sequence of Opfire "activation" is fairly random. Experience plays a big role as does range but the result is that an experienced unit far away may opfire before a unit closer. Assaults are not assured, several things must happen and again depending on experience the assualt may happen or not. It has top be random or it would bog the game to unplayable lengths to include more "control". Two "Opfire events" per "trigger" was found to be a good compromise - more and you tend not to be able to move.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 151
- 9/21/2000 12:33:00 AM   
Charles22

Paul: I like op fire, in the sense of number of attempts, quite well. What I'm describing though is quite apart from this. V2.3 would appear to have always allowed assaults (with exceptions due to no op fire left for the unit or very high suppression etc.). As it appears now, it seems to suggest that infantry will 'rarely' be given as a possibility as part of the op fire, if there's any tanks in the area, so that for all practical purposes the infantry can no longer assault in op fire phase, dependant, or independant (as it was before) of user command, so that tanks will once more be able to get right int he face of the infantry, fire away, and then back off a hex just before releasing control to the opponent again. Do you have any clues on the subject of reduced ranged units not responding to direct-fire on the unit beyond it's range? Is that feature no more with the new op fire prompts? Thanks.

Post #: 152
- 9/21/2000 5:26:00 AM   
Sgt Gunn

I'm having some sound issues with the game - I noticed some a couple of other people had posted w/smiliar problems, but hadn't seen any reply - though I may well have missed it! My game has no BG music, enviornmental sounds and only maybe 20% of the weapons or vehciles make any sound. (the ones that work are mostly MG's). I'm using a Creative SB Live! PLatinum sound card. I didn't have any problems with any of the previous releases of the game. Any Ideas? Other than that - awesome game!!!!!!

SSG Adrian Gunn
102 CES/CED
USAF

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." - Vegetius

Post #: 153
- 9/21/2000 2:55:00 PM   
Galka

quote:

Originally posted by xavier: In PBEM games, the VCR playback don't work. :c
I'm having the same problem, but was surprised to find only one memo buried deep in the thread. I never really did realize that PBEMers were such a minority. I was used to not always seeing airstrikes and artillery due to limited memory on my P166, but to see no replay at all was the FOW I hadn't experienced since SP1! Have you had anyone suggest a solution? ps I tried it on my wife's machine P333 98megs ram etc with no replay either. Cheers Chris

"In light of my experience, I consider that your conclusion that the attacker needs a three to one superiority is under the mark, rather than over it. I would say that, for success, the attacker needs six to one or seven to one against a well-knit defence

Post #: 154
- 9/21/2000 5:13:00 PM   
crazyivan

Pual i have tried another generated campiagn and found as in my early post that mortars of any size and nation continue to fire all there alloted shots at close targets using direct fire .in return these siad units after they have hit the same vech 4-5 times remian unseen and op fire is passed over .often i almost have to run the mortars over to see them i know that being small of size and also using limited intell makes them hard to spot but shorely after at least 3-4 shots even infantry let alone 81mm mortars should reviel themselfs.this can be the only reason why after 4-5 shots no op fire happens on my side even with afvs that have high exp and ammo to spare? thanks for a truly top game.

"The best form of defence,is attack"

Post #: 155
- 9/21/2000 5:25:00 PM   
headhunter

I would like to add to the op-fire issue that while the player is limited to two op-fire events, I've seen the AI op-fire four times ! I think that unbalances the game too much. [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 21, 2000).]

Post #: 156
- 9/21/2000 7:39:00 PM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Sgt Gunn: I'm having some sound issues with the game - I noticed some a couple of other people had posted w/smiliar problems, but hadn't seen any reply - though I may well have missed it! My game has no BG music, enviornmental sounds and only maybe 20% of the weapons or vehciles make any sound. (the ones that work are mostly MG's). I'm using a Creative SB Live! PLatinum sound card. I didn't have any problems with any of the previous releases of the game. Any Ideas? Other than that - awesome game!!!!!!
Did you patch the game? If you did, did you install in the right directory? Do you have two 'snd' subdirectories? Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 157
- 9/22/2000 1:06:00 AM   
Billy Yank

A couple of things going wrong on Win NT 4.0. 1. In Wild Bill's Omaha scenario (the one from Scenario Depot), I try moving my landing craft toward the beach. Eventually, one of the big guns from the strongpoints hits one of my craft and the game dumps me to the desktop. I tried turning off all the sounds, but that didn't help. 2. In the Maus that Roared scenario, I was having a similar problem when a vehicle was destroyed. I didn't happen for every vehicle, and it happened when a BA-60(?) or one of those little tracked motorcycles (like from Saving Private Ryan) were destroyed. I would see the hit, in one case I saw the wreckage, then the program fell over. I guessed that this might be a sound problem, so I turned off all the sounds, and I haven't seen it since. 3. When I turn off all the sounds, including the soundtrack, the soundtrack still plays during the battle. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Post #: 158
- 9/22/2000 1:17:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

I have recently gotten access to an NT SP6 machine and it appears there are a lot of issues with the game on NT. Some of them may be related to the OS's lack of of full DirectX compatiblility. We will continue to look into them, but you need Win2000 fom what I can tell to get the game fully functional on an NT based OS.

Post #: 159
- 9/22/2000 4:33:00 AM   
Hunter

I don't think that anyone has pointed this out yet but I appear to be facing a whole army of zombies!! I am playing the first battle of a long campaign as Germans fighting Poles. The first thing I do every turn is to save the game into a new slot. During the enemy's turn a number of polish units were heavily hit by opfire and arty and have reduced numbers. This was confirmed by right-clicking on them. However if I select end game and return to the main menu and then immediately reload the newly saved game all of the damaged (but not destroyed or dispersed) units are back to full strength. To check this I shot a unit with a sniper and caused a casualty (4 men down to 3) and was left with 0 shots. I then saved the game, exited it and reloaded it and the squad was back up to 4 men but I still had 0 shots remaining!

Post #: 160
- 9/22/2000 5:04:00 AM   
Fuerte

Hunter, perhaps this is the "reduced squads" bug. It can in fact add men to squads.

Post #: 161
- 9/22/2000 5:17:00 AM   
Hunter

Thanks Fuerte Switching this option off appears to have cleared the problem. The dead are now staying dead just like they should do. Damned zombies gave me the creeps!

Post #: 162
- 9/22/2000 2:28:00 PM   
von Curow

I'm not sure why this happened, but after playing online a couple of times, SPWAW no longer gives the appropriate IP address when I (or the buddy I play against) start an online game. It is stuck on the a former IP address. We didn't realize it at first, but after a while we "manually" checked our IP addresses and found that the game was misreporting. ------------------

The closer you are to Caesar, the greater the fear.

Post #: 163
- 9/22/2000 5:48:00 PM   
BobD

I don't see anything like this on the forum already, but apologies if it has been logged before: I get the game crash when I go to the battle generator and click through the alternative map sizes; I get through what I imagine is the whole list and then the game locks up, although sound is still playing. I have to Ctl-Alt-Del and end the task. Have I done the install correctly? I had v3.2(?) from the US PC Gamer CD (and the map size scroller worked fine there, I think) and applied the v4 upgrade. ... I presume the download of the upgrade file worked. I had loads of problems with IE5 timeouts, etc: I posted a note to this effect on another thread this morning, but could someone confirm that the dl file is actually 136Mb, not 143Mb? 136Mb = 139,000Kb = 143 million bytes... could this be where the 143Mb idea came from?? The dl appeared to (finally) complete successfully, and the upgrade was reported as having been carried out ok. Thanks Bob

Post #: 164
- 9/22/2000 11:57:00 PM   
Billy Yank

Thanks Paul. Luckily we're upgrading a spare machine at the office to Win2k, so I'll be able to continue my lunch time wargaming. Now if my buddy across the hall can get his hands on a 2k machine, we can play IP. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to. [This message has been edited by Billy Yank (edited September 22, 2000).]

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Post #: 165
- 9/23/2000 9:56:00 AM   
Yverlok

quote:

Originally posted by BobD: I don't see anything like this on the forum already, but apologies if it has been logged before: I get the game crash when I go to the battle generator and click through the alternative map sizes; I get through what I imagine is the whole list and then the game locks up, although sound is still playing. I have to Ctl-Alt-Del and end the task.
I had this happen once too. Can't get it to happen now. Maybe it was before I installed the 4.0 patch that it happened...can't remember.
quote:

could someone confirm that the dl file is actually 136Mb, not 143Mb? 136Mb = 139,000Kb = 143 million bytes... could this be where the 143Mb idea came from??
My copy's 136MB (aka 143,176,925 bytes).

Post #: 166
- 9/24/2000 10:04:00 AM   
troopie

I'm doing an ahistorical scenario that involves crossing a river on bridges. I had to save and leave the game. I left two .50 cal Jeeps, two ACs and two halftracks with infantry loaded. The opposite bank had been completely obscured by smoke and men on the bridge were not under fire. When I loaded up the save, it told me that the two halftracks on the bridge and the sections in them had been destroyed. troopie Pamwe Chete [This message has been edited by troopie (edited September 23, 2000).]

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 167
- 9/25/2000 8:08:00 AM   
Major Ed

Just a minor note, I noticed when I fire the 37mm gun (either AT or Stuart tank) the explosion for a single round looks as if multiple rounds are hiting. Is there supposed to be a different look to the AT version as opposed to the FLAK version?

Post #: 168
- 9/25/2000 10:44:00 AM   
johnfmonahan

I often get black screens on my Sony F490 p3 650 laptop. All I have to do is cause a screen redraw. I also do not get about 30 of the sounds. ------------------ When in doubt, go on line.

When in doubt, go on line.

Post #: 169
- 9/25/2000 6:09:00 PM   
Fredde

VCR replays work only partly or not at all in PBEM games. Too much fog of war i think

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 170
- 9/25/2000 8:02:00 PM   
headhunter

I'm playing a long campaign. These are part of my core force: A0: standard 6-men-squad A1: StuG IIIe A1 was killed in the last battle. I fixed A1 and wanted to start the next. But now I have (according to the HQ list) A0: StuG IIIf A1: StuG IIIe When I click on manual deploy, only one of them appears on the map. When I use automatic deploy, both are there. I still got the savefile around, so if someone at Matrix would like to take a look at it ... [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 25, 2000).] [This message has been edited by headhunter (edited September 25, 2000).]

Post #: 171
- 9/25/2000 8:46:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

There is a bug in the VCR replay that only "replays" a certain number of bytes of the replay file. Now replay is a good word because it actually does replay the game when you click it, so most of the problems with pbem arise from the replay being corrupted and the game carrying on from this corrupted end point. This seems fixed in version 4.1 - but we are still testing...

Post #: 172
- 9/25/2000 11:17:00 PM   
Fredde

Ah, interesting information.. very glad you found that bug, and even more glad that you hopefully fixed it

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 173
- 9/26/2000 12:08:00 AM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Major Ed: Just a minor note, I noticed when I fire the 37mm gun (either AT or Stuart tank) the explosion for a single round looks as if multiple rounds are hiting. Is there supposed to be a different look to the AT version as opposed to the FLAK version?
Which unit/formation/country was this exactly? Sounds like the main gun has weapon size 222 instead of 3 or 4. A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

Post #: 174
- 9/26/2000 12:53:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

This is because of an early attempt to shothe added value of cannister rounds tha tresulted in the "hard coding" of graphics to unit values thinking the gun was a flak gun.

Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI