Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comprehensive Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/23/2010 9:05:10 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

I feel kind of the opposite. I suppose it would be easy enough to do, so I don't really object -- but I can get along perfectly well without more place names.

On the other hand, a larger map or any of the various other possible improvements would materially improve the game.

I kind of dread the thought of that first battalion level 5km/hex Barbarossa scenario.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 631
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/23/2010 9:12:04 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

I feel kind of the opposite. I suppose it would be easy enough to do, so I don't really object -- but I can get along perfectly well without more place names.

On the other hand, a larger map or any of the various other possible improvements would materially improve the game.

I kind of dread the thought of that first battalion level 5km/hex Barbarossa scenario.

Yeah. However, and for example, Operation Orient should be perfectly playable -- and I really could use a 500x500 map. As it is, I'm just about twenty-thirty hexes short of Baku, Tehran, and Manami.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 632
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/23/2010 9:36:58 PM   
Panama

quote:

quote:

It's not for the 5km FiTE insanity that you need more counters. Even the 10km one needs alot of help in the counter department.

Post #: 633
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/23/2010 9:50:20 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

quote:

quote:

It's not for the 5km FiTE insanity that you need more counters. Even the 10km one needs alot of help in the counter department.

If the limit was higher than it is, I'd hardly object. However, I tend to be suspicious of the monsters that would result on two counts.

First, how can they be played well? I've had at one of the bigger ones that are possible as matters stand; it can take literally two full working days to carry out one turn intelligently.

Second, how can they be designed well? All these units are really going to be properly researched? All those event mechanisms actually fire properly? Has the damned thing really been properly play tested? Hell, right now I'm working on a monster map, and I calculate that I'm going to need to put in at least 1000 hours on that alone if it's to be done right.

If people want to do this, far be it from me to stand in their way. Hell, I'm doing it myself. At the same time, there are some obvious problems with this sort of gigantism. If one does find oneself bumping into these constraints, maybe one should think -- seriously -- about changing the scale. You could wind up with a much better scenario.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/23/2010 10:03:40 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 634
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 2:30:36 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

As another random thought experiment, and not that I'm laying this down as some kind of rule, let me think about what I normally want to make something a 'wadi' (although I use canal, for reasons already outlined) in the 10 km/hex scenario I'm working on.

Oh...it's gotta be about thirty feet deep, and with steep sides, and it'll need to be more than that unless it's the dominant terrain feature.

Anything less, and three hexes out of four would have to have 'wadi' in them.

For sure, the wadi tile does not have 30 foot cliffs on either side. It can be crossed by a truck for +2 MPs. To model a canyon with 30 foot cliffs in TOAW would require the use of major escarpments.

I'll return to my earlier example:

"Think of a desert. It's flat, featureless, open. Mirages are shimmering in the distance. Units are exposed - except those sheltering in the wadi."

That's fairly typical for large parts of the Western Desert - what the wadi was specifically designed for.

Post #: 635
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 2:34:49 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I've made some assumptions about the unit still being available. I'm assuming the program is using sort of an internal database pulled from the scenario. That the database is of a program defined size not to be exceeded by what that defined size is (x number of units/formations). So if the unit is part of the scenario then the scenario, saved or new, will always have a particular unit as part of the scenario's database whether that unit is withdrawn or not and therefore, when the program pulls the database from the scenario or saved game it will have access to all of the units in their present state.

I imagine if a unit is withdrawn it is given a flag indicating this unit is no longer available to the scenario. It is 'withdrawn' from the scenario. But it's still there, just flagged.

Item 12.3.8 in the Wishlist: Return Unit/Army event effect.

quote:

All of this brings up another thing rattling around in my head. Why not make the unit/formation database dynamic instead of defined? Let the scenario determine the size, not the program. Same for the map since it's simply another database.

Item 12.1.27 in the Wishlist: Dynamic Data Structures.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 636
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 3:52:11 AM   
Panama

They are not blue.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 637
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 3:58:14 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

As another random thought experiment, and not that I'm laying this down as some kind of rule, let me think about what I normally want to make something a 'wadi' (although I use canal, for reasons already outlined) in the 10 km/hex scenario I'm working on.

Oh...it's gotta be about thirty feet deep, and with steep sides, and it'll need to be more than that unless it's the dominant terrain feature.

Anything less, and three hexes out of four would have to have 'wadi' in them.

For sure, the wadi tile does not have 30 foot cliffs on either side. It can be crossed by a truck for +2 MPs. To model a canyon with 30 foot cliffs in TOAW would require the use of major escarpments.

I'll return to my earlier example:

"Think of a desert. It's flat, featureless, open. Mirages are shimmering in the distance. Units are exposed - except those sheltering in the wadi."

That's fairly typical for large parts of the Western Desert - what the wadi was specifically designed for.

Got any references to units 'sheltering in wadis'? Common defensive tactic, was it?

Kind of funny. I've been in quite a few deserts. For starters, they are generally not 'flat, featureless, open.' But that's really kind of secondary. If there was a wadi, the thing to do would not be to hide in it. Troops defending a river generally don't go down to the water and secrete themselves in the bullrushes.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/24/2010 4:09:08 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 638
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 4:47:46 AM   
Panama

quote:

Troops defending a river generally don't go down to the water and secrete themselves in the bullrushes.

Sure they do. I see it in the movies all the time. They submerge themselves and breath through hollow reeds.

Post #: 639
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 6:17:23 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

Got any references . . .

What are your references? Ever been there? Any combat expericence? Got any references . . .

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 640
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 6:33:31 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

Got any references . . .

What are your references? Ever been there? Any combat expericence? Got any references . . .

Regards, RhinoBones

Experience.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 641
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 7:56:08 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

Experience.

Please tell us about your "experience".

Here's a pic of the grand kid you hate . . . hope you don't have too hard of a time living with your self depreciation.

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 1/24/2010 8:06:03 AM >

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 642
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 4:31:04 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Got any references to units 'sheltering in wadis'? Common defensive tactic, was it?

I know of examples of sunken roads being used. A trench is only 6-7 feet deep, yet it provides a huge defensive bonus wherever it's used. Parapet type structures aren't that common - especially ones that run continuously for hundreds of miles.

quote:

Kind of funny. I've been in quite a few deserts. For starters, they are generally not 'flat, featureless, open.'

Can't have a mirage without those features. That's why the roads were so important in North Africa: it wasn't that they were much of a movement advantage, it was that they gave a sense of direction in a featureless landscape. Otherwise, columns would soon be going in circles.

Post #: 643
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 5:58:56 PM   
Panama

quote:

Can't have a mirage without those features. That's why the roads were so important in North Africa: it wasn't that they were much of a movement advantage, it was that they gave a sense of direction in a featureless landscape. Otherwise, columns would soon be going in circles.

Okay, have to state the obvious I guess. Compass.

If a column got lost it was only because of sheer stupidity.

Post #: 644
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 8:31:30 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I know of examples of sunken roads being used.

In other words, you don't know of any examples of wadis being used in this way. Yet you vociferously -- against all evidence and all common sense -- insist that is how they were used.

And why have you taken up this position? Because it is the position you took up, and you will never abandon it, modify it, or consider any other possible point of view. It matters not a whit to you that it is completely indefensible and lacks all possible validity.

And this is why any discussion of anything with you becomes sterile, fruitless, and pointless. That's repetitive, I know, but so are these debates.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 645
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 8:41:31 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

Experience.

Please tell us about your "experience".

Here's a pic of the grand kid you hate . . . hope you don't have too hard of a time living with your self depreciation.

Regards, RhinoBones

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/24/2010 8:43:23 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 646
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/24/2010 11:49:47 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I know of examples of sunken roads being used. A trench is only 6-7 feet deep,

There's an implied paradigm here: a deeper trench is better.

It sounds stupid but I have to point out that if a trench is 20 feet deep it is NOT 3 times better. It's worse.

quote:

This is true enough of sandy deserts- but as Colin points out, plenty of desert is rocky rather than sandy.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 647
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/25/2010 10:32:53 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

My comment was based upon SPI's Campaign for North Africa rules:

[8.46] Tracks. The major communication network of the North African Plateau is the series of tracks that criss-cross the entire area. The tracks are useful not in that they are easier to walk or ride in (in some places they are no easier than the terrain in the hex); what they do provide is direction - i.e., which way to go. Sense of direction in the "desert" is almost non-existent; the tracks provide that.

Whether units got lost or not (I think they did) is not the point. The point was that the terrain was particularly featureless.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 648
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/25/2010 10:38:28 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

In other words, you don't know of any examples of wadis being used in this way.

I can't find any cases of wadis being used in any way. The battles seem to have all taken place in areas that lacked them. Sunken roads are a good substitute. They're physically similar.

quote:

Yet you vociferously -- against all evidence and all common sense -- insist that is how they were used.

And why have you taken up this position? Because it is the position you took up, and you will never abandon it, modify it, or consider any other possible point of view. It matters not a whit to you that it is completely indefensible and lacks all possible validity.

And this is why any discussion of anything with you becomes sterile, fruitless, and pointless. That's repetitive, I know, but so are these debates.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This same whiny song gets sung every time now.

Post #: 649
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/25/2010 10:42:54 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

It sounds stupid but I have to point out that if a trench is 20 feet deep it is NOT 3 times better. It's worse.

You have it exactly backward. It was Colin who claimed that a wadi should be at least 30 feet deep to warrant being put on the map. I was countering that notion.

Post #: 650
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/25/2010 11:23:12 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

My comment was based upon SPI's Campaign for North Africa rules:

[8.46] Tracks. The major communication network of the North African Plateau is the series of tracks that criss-cross the entire area. The tracks are useful not in that they are easier to walk or ride in (in some places they are no easier than the terrain in the hex); what they do provide is direction - i.e., which way to go. Sense of direction in the "desert" is almost non-existent; the tracks provide that.

Whether units got lost or not (I think they did) is not the point. The point was that the terrain was particularly featureless.

Reality? A pronouncement in an SPI manual? That's a no-brainer, apparently.

SPI are the same people who designed a France 1940 game where the Germans would win no matter what they did -- and then announced that this demonstrated that the Germans would have won no matter what they did.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/25/2010 11:49:02 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 651
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/25/2010 11:31:40 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

You have it exactly backward. It was Colin who claimed that a wadi should be at least 30 feet deep to warrant being put on the map. I was countering that notion.

This overlooks the detail (which I pointed out) that if one puts on wadis that are less than thirty feet deep, then you might as well use 'fill to border' for many areas of the world. Start mapping six foot deep wadis and you'll find it will be faster to clear the hexes without such 'wadis' than put them in.

The bottom line is that a shallow wadi simply isn't a significant enough terrain obstacle to represent in TOAW. A deeper one would be far too deep to serve as a trench -- and in any case, you've yet to produce a single example of wadis being used in this way.

They are dry riverbeds. That's what 'wadi' means. Wadis that are deep enough to be represented on a TOAW map pose the same set of obstacles as rivers -- and are defended the same way as rivers.

We might as well have an argument where everyone else insists that helmets are intended to protect against shell splinters and richochets and things -- and you insist soldiers wear them to save their hearing. You can do just as well with that. Why not?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 652
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/25/2010 11:45:30 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

In other words, you don't know of any examples of wadis being used in this way.

I can't find any cases of wadis being used in any way...

You musta looked real hard. I ran a search on 'Afrika Korps wadi' and came up with this in about two seconds:

http://www.eucmh.com/2009/12/07/the-german-afrika-korps-ww-2-1/

It actually looks like the kind of thing you might want to consult -- should you ever be interested in designing a decent North Africa scenario. Now go ahead and search the document for 'wadi.' You'll get about six hits.

What you will find isn't entirely to my liking. Wadis were obstructions to movement; however, the piece comments that they only seem to have been used as the basis for a defensive line once -- and in that case the defenders actually wound up deploying forward of the wadi.

On the bright side, there are (not surprisingly) no references at all to wadis being 'used as trenches.' That really is a ridiculous concept.

The study was drawn up in 1952 by German officers who served with the Afrika Korps -- it would be about as authoritative as you can get. You can go with that -- or stick to your theory.

I'm sure you'll know what to do. All too sure.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/26/2010 12:02:41 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 653
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/26/2010 12:07:13 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This same whiny song gets sung every time now.

I like a ferocious argument as much as anyone. However, I prefer ones that are more productive than arguing with the guy in the Supermarket parking lot about Jesus. You do just dig in on whatever ridiculous proposition you've saddled yourself with, hunker down, and refuse to move.

As I've said, it wouldn't be such a problem -- if you weren't involved with the further development of this game.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 654
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/26/2010 4:40:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

It's a secondary source, same as any other secondary source. My point is, I wasn't just pulling it out of thin air. Regardless, the featurelessness of much the Western Desert is undeniable. You can see it in practically all period pictures of the Desert War.

quote:

SPI are the same people who designed a France 1940 game where the Germans would win no matter what they did -- and then announced that this demonstrated that the Germans would have won no matter what they did.

The France 1940 game that you so regularly disparage was a pioneering effort that advanced the field. It would be the equivalent of the Model-T. Your criticsm is about the same as saying that the Model-T a stupid design because it lacked a CD player. Their CFNA game was much later and was about as advanced as board wargames ever got or ever could get.

Post #: 655
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/26/2010 4:59:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

This overlooks the detail (which I pointed out) that if one puts on wadis that are less than thirty feet deep, then you might as well use 'fill to border' for many areas of the world. Start mapping six foot deep wadis and you'll find it will be faster to clear the hexes without such 'wadis' than put them in.

Actually, I put wadis in everywhere they were shown on my topo maps. It didn't require any "fill to border". And, furthermore, those maps showed where the escarpments were. Very few wadis had them.

quote:

The bottom line is that a shallow wadi simply isn't a significant enough terrain obstacle to represent in TOAW.

Then a trench must be too insignificant as well. If a trench is a significant defense feature (and is it ever) then a terrain feature that has some of its properties will be too.

quote:

A deeper one would be far too deep to serve as a trench

Not unless the sides were escarpments. And that is a feature external to the TOAW wadi tile. Absent that, the sides can still be used as parapets - and can't be any sort of significant barrier defense that it would be if filled with water (see Fredricksburg).

quote:

-- and in any case, you've yet to produce a single example of wadis being used in this way.

Seems you don't have any examples of your way, either.

quote:

They are dry riverbeds. That's what 'wadi' means.

Exactly! And that's all. As such, their only possible defensive benefit would be the sheltering benefit units in them would enjoy.

quote:

Wadis that are deep enough to be represented on a TOAW map pose the same set of obstacles as rivers -- and are defended the same way as rivers.

Only if they contained escarpments or were bordered by hills or mountains. All external features that need to be added by the map designer.

quote:

We might as well have an argument where everyone else insists that helmets are intended to protect against shell splinters and richochets and things -- and you insist soldiers wear them to save their hearing. You can do just as well with that. Why not?

Your ability to delude yourself that you're winning an argument that you are ignominiously losing is one of your endearing characteristics.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/26/2010 5:01:11 PM >

Post #: 656
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/26/2010 5:09:52 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

What you will find isn't entirely to my liking. Wadis were obstructions to movement; however, the piece comments that they only seem to have been used as the basis for a defensive line once -- and in that case the defenders actually wound up deploying forward of the wadi.

So, let me get this straight: You didn't find any examples of them being used in defense either!

I had found a case of defending in front of a wadi. That was at El Mechili. That was because the town of El Mechili contained a fort.

quote:

On the bright side, there are (not surprisingly) no references at all to wadis being 'used as trenches.' That really is a ridiculous concept.

On the bright side, there are (not surprisingly) no references at all to wadis being "used as rivers." That really is a ridiculous concept.

Post #: 657
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/26/2010 7:09:51 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

It's a secondary source, same as any other secondary source. My point is, I wasn't just pulling it out of thin air...

That the assertion is patently idiotic is neither here nor there, apparently.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 658
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/26/2010 7:11:58 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

So, let me get this straight: You didn't find any examples of them being used in defense either!

I had found a case of defending in front of a wadi. That was at El Mechili. That was because the town of El Mechili contained a fort.

Yeah...and I admit it. I bet you find that really incomprehensible.

However, I'll note that your Western Desert wadis really are pretty tame little fellas. Go elsewhere in the world, and you'll find plenty of 'wadis' that would be of great defensive value.

This is the sort of thing I spend a good deal of time looking at -- as much as any one image could be taken to be representative.

Now, 'that' is the River Aras, which formed much of the border between Turkey and Russia, and between Iran and Russia.

It's definitely a river. Flow of water (at least here) isn't all that great, though. Really, the defensive value and the delay to movement comes more from what happens when you try to climb out of the canyon. Put this bad boy in flat land, in a region with plentiful infrastructure, and you might want to represent it at 2.5 km. Certainly not at 10 km or higher.

However, it's a river, and I map it as such. But lots of the feeder canyons are typically either dry or contain so little water that it's ridiculous to label them rivers. They are 'wadis,' in short. Wadis that are significant enough to offer a defensive obstacle.

However, the nature of the obstacle is almost identical to that of the 'river.' So it seems to me that the effects in TOAW should be about the same.

...but then, I don't think wadis were used as trenches. If I thought that, I might feel differently.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/26/2010 7:32:40 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 659
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/26/2010 7:19:06 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Your ability to delude yourself that you're winning an argument that you are ignominiously losing is one of your endearing characteristics.

Sure, Curtis. Wadis function as trenches, compasses are of no use in the desert, and while we're at it, how fast units try to move doesn't affect their exposure to interdiction strikes, any road that can supply a division can supply an army, supply issues and the impact of lack of supply affect all arms the same, TOAW models Napoleonic warfare just fine, that the Japanese can invade Hawaii in War in the Pacific demonstrates that they could have done it in real life, human population remained static until modern times, and Neanderthal man became extinct because of, and only because of, Cro-Magnon predation.

I'm sure I've missed a few. No offense. 'Winning an argument' with you isn't really something to be proud of. It's usually a matter of pointing out a consideration or two. Of course, you'll never admit anything, but that's just who you are. It has to be accepted. One sits down, checkmates you, and eventually gets up and walks away while you sit there insisting it's not mate.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/26/2010 7:36:57 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI