Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The American Rebellion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> After Action Reports >> The American Rebellion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The American Rebellion - 8/29/2007 6:56:15 PM   
Venator

Monthly report for June 1775.

Sirs,

As instructed I have taken command of His Majesty's forces in Boston, having relieved General Gage of that position. I am delighted to report that my brigade commanders, Generals Grey and Phillips and Brigadiers Fraser and O'Hara seem excellent men and fully of my way of thinking. Colonel Watson who commands the dragoons strikes me as an able and efficient officer. General Tyron I have appointed governor of Boston, which remains under martial law. Colonel Campbell commands the local militia.

Shortly after my arrival, the rebels surrounding Boston withdrew from their entrenchments and retired southward. I regret that as the army was in some need of reorganisation, I was unable to mount an immediate pursuit, preferring that I have my force on a sound footing before engaging in a major action.

The precipitate withdrawal of the rebels southward has however put me in the pleasant situation of being able to inform you gentlemen that the towns of Providence, Portsmouth, Newpost and Plymouth are now in the hands of loyalist forces, each of those towns having provided a regiment of loyal militia for its defence. I am currently at Norwich with my full force. My intention is to advance toward New York this coming month. Hopefully this move will oblige the rebel commanders to give battle.

I have had news that our Indian allies ambushed a small force of rebels in Mohawk territory, capturing 5 guns if their reports are to be believed. The messenger reported that a large force of militia had moved west of Albany and forced the Indians to retire toward their villages. I have sent word to Chief Blackfish, who was the originator of this intelligence, praising his actions and encouraging him to move on Albany. With luck his force will provide a diversion that will protect my right as I move on New York.

General Carleton in Canada has written informing me that he is raising a force of irregular riflemen with which he hopes to spearhead a drive south past Ticonderoga toward albany in the Spring. I have replied advocating that he co-ordinate with our native allies and keep me fully informed of developments.

Your obedient servant

Alexander Leslie, General Commanding His Majesty's Forces in New England.
Post #: 1
RE: The American Rebellion - 8/29/2007 8:14:22 PM   
Venator

Monthly report, July 1775

Sirs,

It is with pleasure that I inform you that New York is now in our hands. Colonel Watson's dragoons made good speed toward the city and the garrison withdrew precipitately on their approach allowing them to enter. the rebels seem to have assumed that our main body was close behind. This, I regret to report was not the case, Watson's dragoons, urged on by that most active of officers, were able to forge far ahead of the main column, encumbered as we were by our artillery train. After much thought I decided that to move immediately to occupy New York was un feasible. General Lincoln sits with a large force, of whose exact numbers I remain in sad ignorance, at Hartford. Were I to move toward New York he could cut my lines of communication and New England would be at his mercy. I have instructed Col Watson to make a bold show in New York in the hope that the rebel intelligence is as poor as our own. I have secured New Haven as a base and am seeking to tempt Lincoln into a general engagement. If he does not accept, I shall fall upon him at Hartford with my full force. If he quits that town rather than fight, he has no refuge but Springfield or Albany with all the difficulties of supply he will have to endure as winter sets in. With good fortune, Col Watson may be able to scare the rebels away from re-occupying New York. If not, it will fall into my hands once Lincoln's army is destroyed.

Less happy is the news that General Arnold has defeated Chief Blackfish in two engagements and burnt many villages in the Mohawk Valley. Still, he is now far from Albany and Blackfish may yet have the opportunity to take him in ambush.

Better news reached me from Colonel Campbell. Our loyal militia in Portsmouth were assaulted by twice their number of rebels operating from Portland. despite their lack of training and wholly inadequate discipline under the personal leadership of Col Campbell they drove off the foe and held the town. Col Campbell informs me that he will raise more militia in Boston and, all going well, hopes to be able to March on Portland before winter's onset.

I have no fresh news from General Carleton in Canada.

Your obedient servant,

< Message edited by Venator -- 8/29/2007 8:17:54 PM >

(in reply to Venator)
Post #: 2
RE: The American Rebellion - 8/29/2007 10:58:05 PM   
Venator

Report on the General Engagement at Hartford 9th August 1775.

Forces under my command 8450 officers and men, 72 guns.

As our forces advanced on the enemy lines shortly before noon, light rain began which obscured vision to a degree.

Formed behind massed artillery our forces were disposed thus:

Left wing: Fraser's Brigade (3 bns light infantry)
Left centre: Phillip's Brigade (4 bns line)
Right Centre: Grey's Brigade (2 bns grenadiers, 2 bns line)
Right Wing: O'Hara's Brigade (4 bns line)
Reserve: 4 bns line.

Three hours of bombardment, which was unopposed, the enemy having no guns as yet deployed upon the field caused several enemy regiments to withdraw in disorder. Brigadier O'Hara led his men, supported by 24 guns against the extreme left of the enemy line. Brigadier Fraser's light infantry began a similar move against the enemy right wing. General Lincoln responded by sending reserve forces to strengthen both wings. Riflemen were amongst the enemy facing our light infantry and they made a target of our officers who suffered disproportionate loss. I have written to General Lincoln protesting this deliberate targeting of officers but as yet have had no reply. Brig O'Hara found himself outnumbered and in danger of being outflanked himself. He therefore halted his advance and formed a defensive line. Seeing him under pressure, I immediately ordered Gens Grey and Phillips to take their brigades against the enemy centre.

There followed a period of heavy firing at close range, of which the rebels had decidedly the worst. Brig O'Hara was conspicuous by his gallantry, often well ahead of his men and under constant fire from enemy sharpshooters. This period of the battle lasted well over an hour by which time Brig Fraser, supported by two bns of Phillip's brigade broke the enemy right wing. Shortly thereafter a bayonet charge by the 15th Battalion led to a collapse of the enemy centre. This caused the enemy to begin a general withdrawal, pressed hard by our advancing battalions.

Unfortunately at this juncture, a fresh rebel force estimated at eight thousand men appeared on the field, deploying in force against our centre and left. By 7pm we were fully engaged against this new force, which intelligence reports have since confirmed was commanded by General Gates. Desperately short of ammunition and fatigued by their previous considerable exertions, no words can express the fortitude and bravery displayed by the officers and men under my command as they fought off this fresh onslaught.

Having allowed their comrades time to leave the field, Gates' men themselves withdrew having been unable to break our lines at any point.

Our casualties number 649 of all ranks. Enemy casualties are estimated in the region of 1700. Lincoln's army numbered some 12 000 and that of General Gates some 8000. Our severe want of cavalry leads to grave difficulties in assessing enemy strengths - or even their whereabouts.

Reports suggest Lincoln and Gates to be moving toward Springfield. At present my army is in no condition to pursue, having fought to a standstill and repulsed a force considerably over twice its own number.

Your obedient servant,

< Message edited by Venator -- 8/31/2007 5:25:02 PM >

(in reply to Venator)
Post #: 3
RE: The American Rebellion - 9/30/2007 2:59:49 PM   
MisplacedPope

Quite a masterful writer, Venator, keep up the good work. 

(in reply to Venator)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> After Action Reports >> The American Rebellion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI