Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 3:27:14 PM   
secadegas

There's any chance of when using the "next unit button" the selected unit don't get centrered?

I like it just like it worked before, please...

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 31
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 7:30:42 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Hi i have been sent pbem games on the earlier patch should i do them and send them back before upgrading thanks Ian

I would discuss this with your opponents. In short, YOU can upgrade at any point in time, but any turns that you play with the new version, will need to be played with the new version by your opponents, as well. Think of it as a one-way door. If you or your opponents are nervous about upgrading to a "beta" patch, then simply wait a week or two until the official version is out.

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 32
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 7:44:11 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The game manual from the launch window thing seems to be an incompatibility between the Matrix launch window and Adobe Reader Version 8.

I have the following Matrix games: TOAW III, Harpoon 3, Steel Panthers World at War, The Campaign Series, War in the Pacific, Chariots of War, and Titans of Steel. I have tested each one and the only game that will now let me access the game manual from the launch window is Steel Panthers World at War. All the others fail.

So it's not specific to the TOAW patch but why would Steel Panthers be OK if all the others fail? Note that I can still access the manuals by going to them via explorer and double clicking or by launching the reader from the desktop and then loading the manual. It's not the end of the world.

It would not surprise me. It may have to do with some security setting with it. I would have to upgrade to Version 8, as well, to confirm it. In the meantime, I'll send off an email to Matrix to let them know of a potential incompatibility.

By the way, are you using XP, or Vista? More specifics on your system might be helpful in running down the problem.

quote:

As for the blank line in the Advanced Options window, I reinstalled the patch but it changed nothing. I have just re-downloaded the patch and I am going to back up my scenarios and saves, completely uninstall TOAW, reinstall the base realease, and apply the new patch to that.

The Matrix uninstaller leaves a LOT of stuff behind, and does not give you the prompt that it did not remove everything. At least the Windows uninstaller (from the Add/Remove Programs dialogue in Control Panel) has the courtesy to let you know that there are things left behind in the folders...most of the time. I would heartily recommend that after you back up and move to a safe place all of your "important" files, i.e., saved games, scenario work, special graphics, etc., that you completely wipe the "The Operational Art of War III" folder from your Matrix Games directory, before reinstalling. Good luck.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 33
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 8:47:02 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas

There's any chance of when using the "next unit button" the selected unit don't get centrered?

Can't play this way... the map is constantly "jumping"...

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 34
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:10:06 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

Hi Joao,

Is it a problem with motion-sickness? This feature was widely requested, so that players would not have to hunt and scan over the map for which unit was the active one. There's nothing we can do about it at this point in time, and I'm not sure if it is feasible to have both behaviors be available as options in the future, but I'll ask Ralph. In the meantime, just blink, long and hard, each time you push the "N" key.

Hey...that's an eye-dia for a new feature, "blink enforcement" to help protect users eyes from eye strain...

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 9/2/2007 9:11:58 PM >

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 35
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:18:23 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

Hi Joao,

Is it a problem with motion-sickness? This feature was widely requested, so that players would not have to hunt and scan over the map for which unit was the active one. There's nothing we can do about it at this point in time, and I'm not sure if it is feasible to have both behaviors be available as options in the future, but I'll ask Ralph. In the meantime, just blink, long and hard, each time you push the "N" key.

Hey...that's an eye-dia for a new feature, "blink enforcement" to help protect users eyes from eye strain...

I hoped something simple could be done... apparently it's not the case. So i'll try to get used to the map jumping... or i'll start blinking...

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 36
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:18:49 PM   
JAMiAM

Joao, I neglected to ask...are you using the "broken" next unit behavior, or did you fix it by going into the Opart 3.ini file and changing "nextUsesOOBOrder=N" to "nextUsesOOBOrder=Y"? Remember to save the file after changing.

If you haven't yet done this, then disregard my previous reply, and do this first. Then let me know if it solves your problem.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 37
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:21:37 PM   
secadegas

quote:

Joao, I neglected to ask...are you using the "broken" next unit behavior, or did you fix it by going into the Opart 3.ini file and changing "nextUsesOOBOrder=N" to "nextUsesOOBOrder=Y"? Remember to save the file after changing.

If you haven't yet done this, then disregard my previous reply, and do this first. Then let me know if it solves your problem.

No, i already fix the Opart 3.ini file.

I thought a simple fix like that could be the solution here...

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 38
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:23:46 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

The game manual from the launch window thing seems to be an incompatibility between the Matrix launch window and Adobe Reader Version 8.

I have the following Matrix games: TOAW III, Harpoon 3, Steel Panthers World at War, The Campaign Series, War in the Pacific, Chariots of War, and Titans of Steel. I have tested each one and the only game that will now let me access the game manual from the launch window is Steel Panthers World at War. All the others fail.

So it's not specific to the TOAW patch but why would Steel Panthers be OK if all the others fail? Note that I can still access the manuals by going to them via explorer and double clicking or by launching the reader from the desktop and then loading the manual. It's not the end of the world.

It would not surprise me. It may have to do with some security setting with it. I would have to upgrade to Version 8, as well, to confirm it. In the meantime, I'll send off an email to Matrix to let them know of a potential incompatibility.

By the way, are you using XP, or Vista? More specifics on your system might be helpful in running down the problem.

quote:

As for the blank line in the Advanced Options window, I reinstalled the patch but it changed nothing. I have just re-downloaded the patch and I am going to back up my scenarios and saves, completely uninstall TOAW, reinstall the base realease, and apply the new patch to that.

The Matrix uninstaller leaves a LOT of stuff behind, and does not give you the prompt that it did not remove everything. At least the Windows uninstaller (from the Add/Remove Programs dialogue in Control Panel) has the courtesy to let you know that there are things left behind in the folders...most of the time. I would heartily recommend that after you back up and move to a safe place all of your "important" files, i.e., saved games, scenario work, special graphics, etc., that you completely wipe the "The Operational Art of War III" folder from your Matrix Games directory, before reinstalling. Good luck.

Now he tells me! Actually, I did a check and found that it left a whole bunch of stuff behind. Backed up what I wanted to save, wiped the hard disk clean, reinstalled the base release and then reinstalled the re-downloaded patch.

And lo and behold, I have been to the top of the mountain and looked down upon the promised land. This is a long way of saying that the blank line is no loner blank. I assume it was some form of corrupted fie. Thanks for your help.

The Adobe Reader thing is either something they did to version 8 (because I never had a problem with version 7) or else another corrupted file on my system. However, the fact that Steel Panthers works as advertised might give some clue as to what is going on. I am using XP SP2.

There is a problem with the previous unit button. No, not that problem. This is a problem if you change the ini to go back to the old way of doing things. Load any scenario into the game. For the first player the focus is always on the second unit in the oob. Click the previous unit button and it takes you not to the first unit in the oob but the last unit in the oob. Same for second player except his initial focus is the first unit. I am not sure if this wasn't always true - not necessarily something to do with the patch.

And please God let someone else confirm this!

There are some truly nice features in the new patch. I like it.

Best wishes,

< Message edited by shunwick -- 9/2/2007 9:27:52 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 39
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:30:47 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

No, i already fix the Opart 3.ini file.

I thought a simple fix like that could be the solution here...

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Incidentally, what desktop resolution are you using? I use a 1680x1050 resolution so my map area is rather large. With fairly tightly grouped formations, the map jump is rather minimal for me. I do, however, have a high tolerance for motion. I understand that for a smaller resolution, and more spread out formations, where the map jumps would be proportionally larger, they might very well be more irritating. Especially if one has a high susceptability for motion-sickness.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 40
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:37:42 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

Now he tells me! Actually, I did a check and found that it left a whole bunch of stuff behind. Backed up what I wanted to save, wiped the hard disk clean, reinstalled the base release and then reinstalled the re-downloaded patch.

Well...I hope you didn't really go through the trouble of wiping your "hard disk" clean. Simply wiping your "The Operational Art of War III" folder from your Matrix Games directory would have sufficed...

Anyway...glad it's working for you now. I'm not sure on the 2nd unit to last unit in previous unit cycling. To be honest, I don't use the next/previous unit keys very often. I'm the kind of guy that will (try to) look through every unit on the map...several times over...every set of attacks...trying to micromanage some trivial advantage.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 41
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:49:00 PM   
shunwick

James,

I don't use the next/previous units buttons much either. However, with the current focus on the behaviour of those buttons I was just playing around.

Oh, and no not the whole hard disk. Just the bit with TOAW installed. I never thought the day would come when I would uninstall TOAW. It was almost sad.

Best wishes,

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 42
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/2/2007 9:53:30 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

I never thought the day would come when I would uninstall TOAW. It was almost sad.

Tell me about it. I was the same way. Then I took this job. Now, for every patch, I end up wiping and reinstalling two or three times apiece on two different machines. The things we do for money...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 43
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/3/2007 1:01:33 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jamiam
Okay, thanks for the feedback. Incidentally, what desktop resolution are you using? I use a 1680x1050 resolution so my map area is rather large. With fairly tightly grouped formations, the map jump is rather minimal for me. I do, however, have a high tolerance for motion. I understand that for a smaller resolution, and more spread out formations, where the map jumps would be proportionally larger, they might very well be more irritating. Especially if one has a high susceptability for motion-sickness.

I use 2 resolutions, the smallest beeing 1280x1024, so i don't think that's the problem.

The problem is this new feature doesn't make much sense...

- The selected unit, if you can't find it (!?), can be centered if you click it on the unit panel. So you always had that funtion( if you really need it...). This new centering of the unit by default when using the next button is completely redundant.

- In certain ocasions the new jumping map turns the micromanagement impossible. How many times you need to have a "steady" map to get a "group picture" of some units (i.e. broken down units). If you have a big map and few units the new feature is a really PITA.

I have more than 5 years of intensive experience with this game. Intensive means playing almost every day. Most of the upgrading done by this team was really appreciated. Some new features i just don't use because i don't need/like them (the supporting range of the units on the previous patch, this "new" huge map, etc) but they don't interfere with me.

However this "unit centering" is really killing my enjoying with this game.

< Message edited by Sekadegas -- 9/3/2007 6:00:18 PM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 44
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/3/2007 7:32:52 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

I use 2 resolutions, the smallest beeing 1280x1024, so i don't think that's the problem.

- The selected unit, if you can't find it (!?), can be centered if you click it on the unit panel. So you always had that funtion( if you really need it...). This new centering of the unit by default when using the next button is completely redundant.

- In certain ocasions the new jumping map turns the micromanagement impossible. How many times you need to have a "steady" map to get a "group picture" of some units (i.e. broken down units). If you have a big map and few units the new feature is a really PITA.

I have more than 5 years of intensive experience with this game. Intensive means playing almost every day. Most of the upgrading done by this team was really appreciated. Some new features i just don't use because i don't need/like them (the supporting range of the units on the previous patch, this "new" huge map, etc) but they don't interfere with me.

It'll be an option in 3.3.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 45
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/3/2007 7:35:53 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Ralph..

in the editor using the mouse-wheel zoom also zooms out the tiles on the right (in map draw mode).

Well, select the tile you're going to edit before you zoom.

No - doesn't work. Here is how it looks:

I think you misunderstood Bob's reply. If I'm not mistaken, he meant to select the tile before you zoom, so that it is active for painting. He did not mean that it would prevent the zoom down of the tiles in the pane. We know that it is an issue with the tile selection pane zooming down, when the map screen is zooned down in the editor. I believe that what Bob was suggesting was the work around for the behavior. If I've put the wrong words in his mouth, I'm sure he'll correct me shortly...

The problem is that TOAW expect only 1 set of tiles to be loaded. Allowing zooming in the editor seemed a nice feature, even if it wasn't fully functional as far as that panel went.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 46
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/3/2007 8:20:06 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

quote:

It'll be an option in 3.3.

Thanks for your attention

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 47
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/3/2007 9:21:15 PM   
freeboy

ok, this is again an issue with beta non public releases.. my fite oponent updated, but I cannopt dl from Matrix ftp server even with a dl service, so can we play on with two different versions . I think not but wanted to ask

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 48
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/3/2007 9:26:42 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

ok, this is again an issue with beta non public releases.. my fite oponent updated, but I cannopt dl from Matrix ftp server even with a dl service, so can we play on with two different versions . I think not but wanted to ask

No. Sorry. The public release should be within one to two weeks, so consider this an enforced "vacation". On that particular game, at least.

What's the problem you're having with downloading from the members section?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 49
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/3/2007 11:55:32 PM   
freeboy

the last two year, from ie it will time out, from a dl manager it gives some odd msg... so I cannot truly answer your ?, and two years ago when this started happening the support folks blamed my system, may be for all I know.. running xp home, then it was xp pro, Zone alarm, I disable that and still bupkiss and run Macafee using Qwest with msn.. very soon I will change ove rto comcast server, that may help if it is network issue, if MAcaffee issue I would think it is a layered issue where I have some setting off.. but no one knows! thanks again..

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 50
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/5/2007 10:59:39 PM   
cantona2

another question, where have the SS letters gone. im getting II instead?

how do i revert to the original font i dnt like this new one :(

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 51
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/6/2007 12:54:06 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

another question, where have the SS letters gone. im getting II instead?

how do i revert to the original font i dnt like this new one :(

Sorry Jonathan, it should not have been enabled by default. In your main TOAW III directory, open your "Opart 3 Fonts.ini" file using Notepad. There are four lines that say "windowsFont=Y". Change the "Y" to an "N" on each of the lines, then save the file. Then you will be using the TOAW III bitmapped text, instead of the Windows Fonts.

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 9/6/2007 4:13:19 AM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 52
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/6/2007 1:04:20 AM   
cantona2

Many thanks Jamiam

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 53
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/6/2007 11:02:53 PM   
Jeff Norton

So, how is it going for the *offical* release?

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 54
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/6/2007 11:26:27 PM   
cantona2

Nice one on the Weserubung for TOAW III

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 55
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/9/2007 11:28:30 PM   
Jeff Norton

** cricket churp **

Nothing new to report?

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 56
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/10/2007 1:23:53 AM   
freeboy

is the 3.2 berta the beta for patch 4.0?

(in reply to Jeff Norton)
Post #: 57
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/18/2007 3:46:31 PM   
Boonierat

What's the status on the official release of patch 3.2 guys? I didn't bother installing the beta thinking the official one would follow quickly but it seems a bit delayed. I'm eager to playtest Volume 4 of Vietnam Combat Operations with the new patch before releasing it.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 58
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/18/2007 7:24:06 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

What's the status on the official release of patch 3.2 guys? I didn't bother installing the beta thinking the official one would follow quickly but it seems a bit delayed. I'm eager to playtest Volume 4 of Vietnam Combat Operations with the new patch before releasing it.

It's essentially done. The last build by Matrix had a problem with the Game Menu shortcut yielding a runtime error. Quick Start worked okay, but the Game Menu was hosed. They're looking into why it happened.

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 59
RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available - 9/18/2007 7:35:55 PM   
Boonierat

Cheers mate

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI