Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly return a Matrix Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly return a Matrix Game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 9/11/2007 6:52:01 PM   
Joel Rauber

I suppose I've started hijacking the thread and turning it into a wish list of changes for the UI. My bad.

I'm basically happy with the UI, its servicable! Just to be clear; I am not someone that has problems with the UI.

Any relationship between what I say and reality is purely coincidental.

Joel Rauber

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 31
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 9/11/2007 6:54:22 PM   
Joel Rauber

quote:

ORIGINAL: pat.casey
. . .

Lets face it, probably 95% of the time you're doing a full refit anyway.

Full refit is not a bad idea. However, for me 95% of the time I'm not doing a full refit. Its actually fairly rare. I don't have enough refit points to refit everybody and I don't want to leave units so weak that they get eliminated. Only at certain Schwerpunkts am I doing full refits, more normally I'm evening things out.

This is likely a difference in playing style and I'm inexperienced enough to not have a clue as to which style may be better.

Any relationship between what I say and reality is purely coincidental.

Joel Rauber

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 32
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/12/2008 4:51:39 PM   
Tac2i

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

I have been wargaming since board game days (Avalon Hill). I bought this Saturday and I am already thinking this may be one of the best wargames I have come across in a long time.

UPDATE: The game I was referring to below was Advanced Tactics: WWII. Didn't realized I had jumped to another forum when I posted my comment.
Same here... and I agree that this game will likely become my favorite computer wargame. If diplomacy features could be added for multi-player games, that would make it even better. Some improvements to the naval game to provide inception abilities similar to aircraft would be good too. Lastly, for play against the AI, some drastic speedup for very large scenarios.

aka TacticsII

< Message edited by Webizen -- 3/13/2008 3:11:20 AM >

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 33
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/13/2008 2:16:49 AM   
Alan Sharif

Without the help of members of this forum I would have struggled to play this title. I am glad I did not throw in the towel as this is simply a FANTASTIC game.

A Sharif

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 34
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/13/2008 7:40:29 AM   
OmegaMan1

Just wanted to post my 2 cents to the thread. Without the helpful FAQs on this forum I probably would have struggled with GOA's interface longer than I did. That having been said, the effort was worth it because GOA is a FANTASTIC game, and one that Matrix should be proud of (a solid, highly replayable game on a rarely-covered topic). I am having a blast playing GOA, and thanks to Frank and Matrix for making it a reality.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 35
RE: Thanks - 3/13/2008 7:52:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

Appreciate the compliments folks, thanks to Frank for this great game.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to OmegaMan1)
Post #: 36
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/13/2008 8:54:22 PM   
Mowersben

This is one of the best games I have bought in a long time. Well worth the money, a fantastic model of WW1. 

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 37
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/13/2008 10:34:09 PM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mowersben

This is one of the best games I have bought in a long time. Well worth the money, a fantastic model of WW1.

I have been playing it since it came out and I'm playing several GoA PBEM games right now and I have not grown tired of it. I can't say that about any other game I've played except for Combat Mission. It has a certain quality to it that makes it feel like a classic wargame.

(in reply to Mowersben)
Post #: 38
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/14/2008 10:04:25 AM   
wargamer123

Initially I was not happy. And I like cosmetics A LOT! However GOA makes up for that in rugged interesting gameplay. It is not cosmetic it is however quite unique. Best wargame released not that I have tried some of the other Matrix Titles

This is a title that you can play a few months straight! Rare, when usually even a massive title lasts me a few weeks or at max 1 month

AI sucks but the PBEM community is alive and pretty darn good

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 39
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/14/2008 3:00:50 PM   
EUBanana

Still playing GoA now after a year - only pbem now, mind.

A perfect mix - not too complicated, not to simple, surprising amount of depth and nuance, has a proper trench/attritional warfare feel to it.

In fact GoA is the only Matrix game I'm still playing these days.  I played WITP for about 2 years though so its got some catch-up. 

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 40
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/14/2008 8:44:16 PM   
Gylve

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

A perfect mix - not too complicated, not to simple, surprising amount of depth and nuance, has a proper trench/attritional warfare feel to it.

Yepp! This is a game I will come back to from time to time until I die

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 41
RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly retu... - 3/16/2008 3:41:44 PM   
chris51

Who cares if the game has a seemingly faultless UI. GOA is a very solid game, and where the game actually matters, the simulation of first world war strategy, it stands up fantasticly well. I for one have no problem with the interface. If you want to play a big budget mass produced wide marketed game go try a game like command and conquer. If you want to try a superbly crafted game aimed at a very niche market, made by wargame fans for wargamers then carry on handing over you hard earned cash to matrix games. I'm most very pleased with al my matrix games purchases.

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Wow - First time I've ever wanted to instantly return a Matrix Game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI