Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: D-Day Formosa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: D-Day Formosa Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: D-Day Formosa - 3/24/2009 2:20:04 PM   
Canoerebel

11/30/44

Operation Uranus:  2500 AV at Hong Kong have loaded on transports that shall move north tomorrow.  Two more LST/LCI TFs arrive at Hong Kong tomorrow and will quickly load and sail, giving the HK contingent a toal AV of roughly 2800 AV.  More troops are loading at Swatow, Amoy, and Foochow.  I think the AV from these bases will total about 1,500 AV and these ships shall peal off from base and join the ships moving north from Hong Kong as they near.  Still no signs that the Japs are aware of this plan, and that's as should be.  There's so much "noise" in this region - big seiges at Nanchang, China, and Takao, Formosa; the fact that Wenchow would be the next obvious target rather than Ningpo, and the fact that John might well think these transports are bringing reinforcements to Takao or even invading another Formosa base.  For these reasons, I'm counting on some surprise at Ningpo, which currently has just 5 units.  If the Allies don't gain suprise, or somehow bog down at Ningpo, then I'm really stuck for awhile, because I'll have three big armies stymied.  However, if Ningpo falls - and I think it will - the Allies suddenly are on the very doorstep of Shanghai and threat to cutoff the Jap garrisons at Wenchow and Nanchang.  I like the "feel" of this operation.  D-Day - perhaps six days off.

Operation Neptune:  Allied 4EB from China flew in big numbers this turn, but John has heavily reinforced Takao.

Fruits of Operation Shooting Star:  This operation recently concluded with the Allied seizure of the big air bases (Hong Kong, Swatow, Amoy, and Foochow) on the China coast.  The "extra" ships carrying supplies, engineers, and base forces that accompanied the Formosa invasion armada are now unloading at these coastal Chinese bases, giving them the engineers and supplies to quickly build up these bases.  In a matter of a week or so, the Allies will have their first level seven airfield on the coast, and that will permit them to base B-29s there to strike southern Japan more readily.

Japan:  The big raid scheduled for Tokyo failed to fly; they'll try again tomorrow.

India:  No change here.  I think John has decided to try for Bombay while holding a line that will protect his "inner India" concentration.  I would not be terribly surprised if he decided to make some effort to reinforce, or to send combat ships back here to deal with an Allied bombardment TF that is working at Bombay.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1231
RE: D-Day Formosa - 3/24/2009 4:43:36 PM   
Mark VII

A bombardment TF hitting enemy troops in its own base is a wonderfull thing. Free no travel reloads every turn and two bombardments a turn if just CL's and DD's.

What is in that bombardment TF by the way?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
India:  No change here.  I think John has decided to try for Bombay while holding a line that will protect his "inner India" concentration.  I would not be terribly surprised if he decided to make some effort to reinforce, or to send combat ships back here to deal with an Allied bombardment TF that is working at Bombay.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1232
RE: D-Day Formosa - 3/24/2009 4:45:39 PM   
Canoerebel

That's exactly what's going on - the bombardment TF is a CL, CLAA, and a bunch of DDs.

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 1233
Reinforcements and Synergy - 3/24/2009 8:10:18 PM   
Canoerebel

12/01/44

Operation Uranus:  The rendezvous point for ships is in the Formosa Straits just west of Tchaikou (the northernmost base on Formosa).  The Allies have more transports available than I had realized, so the first wave should amount to around 4,000 AV, averaging 30% preparation for the target hex.  Still no sign that the Japs are aware of anything imminent brewing, and certainly at this point John might conclude that these ships are carrying reinforcements to Takao or even heading for a second Formosa invasion.  Ningpo, the target hex on the China coast, is now down to 4 units.  D-Day should be no more than four days away, perhaps just three.  I think the Japs are in for a big surprise.

China:  The Japs at Henchow tried a disastrous 0:1 attack that cost them 6074/31 and nothing to the Allies.  This should create more uncertainty for John in the Nanchang/Singyang corridor, which would further draw his attention from Ningpo.  50th Indian Paratroops took an unoccupied Kanhsien in an attack solely intended to wipe out fortifications (there were 9 that went "poof") and to create consternation for the Japs.  The base became vacant when John advanced the three units garrisoning the base toward Nanchang.  Meanwhile, the 8 units retreating from Canton are a hex to the west.  The paratroops won't hold Kanhsien when those 8 units arrive, but this does create additional "mayhem" and "noise" while the Allies proceed with their "stealthy" (I hope) and massive campaign against Ningpo/Shanghai.

Reinforcements and Synergy:  Units prepping for both Takao and Shanghai are gathering at Hong Kong (and units prepping for Takao are also at Iwo and Wake Island).  It's wonderfully effecient to have all Allied operations concentrated in such a small area, so that the ships used to invade Takao could then head straight over to China to load troops for the next invasion; and after that is done return to China to pick up reinforcements.

Secret Weapons: When John employed Frank fighters three or four months ago he mentioned that his next "advanced" weapon would be unleashed in December.  I assume he's talking about the Okha bombs.  I've been hitting the factory at Tokyo for months, but no doubt he still has plenty.  I figure to face these as soon as John decides to attack, if he ever decides to.

Japan:  Massive and well-coordinated strike on Tokyo.  The Fighter sweep downs 43 Zekes and Franks at a cost of 4 P-47s; 168 4EB from Toyohara hit resources and the airfield; then 220 B-29s hit Heavy Industry.

SWPac:  A NZ unit is landing at an unoccupied Savaii near Pago Pago.

India:  Same ol' as both sides try to position to gain an advantage.

Points:  (A) 86,259 (J) 57,233; Ratio:  1.50 to 1; Strategic Points:  16,958

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1234
RE: Reinforcements and Synergy - 3/24/2009 9:43:15 PM   
DW

Nemo recently made a post where he outlined the pros and cons of running sequential operations vs simultaneous operations.

I don't recall which AAR it was posted in, but if it was in John's you may have missed it. If so, perhaps you can prevail on him to re-post it here so you can have a look at it.

The short of it was that each had their place, but in some circumstances it's more profitable to pile everything on one target and crush it before moving on to the next than it is to run simultaneous operations that will take longer to conclude.

This might be one of those circumstances.

Those 4000 AV you've slated for Ningpo should smash John's army on Formosa, and then could be quickly loaded up and moved on to Ningpo.

Don't get me wrong... I like your Ningpo plan and understand the benefits.

But, as you noted, there is a certain risk of getting bogged down and not being strong enough to quickly prevail in any of your offensives.

Wiping out the Formosa garrison before moving on Ningpo would avoid that risk.

Just something to think about.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1235
RE: Reinforcements and Synergy - 3/24/2009 10:11:57 PM   
paullus99

In this case, Formosa is isolated - it won't be getting any substantial reinforcements (perhaps a few flown in, but I doubt it). Ningpo can be reinforced & is ultimately the more important target (hence the need to hit it now, before John realizes the danger).

I would also recommend increasing your interdiction operations. At this point, there shouldn't be a single convoy or ship travelling to/from Japan from any of the outlying areas. It seems like you have almost enough bases to complete the isolation of the home islands, but if it looks like you need one or two more - and their are some lightly defended targets - it could be worth the effort.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 1236
RE: Reinforcements and Synergy - 3/24/2009 10:25:19 PM   
Canoerebel

DW, I did read Nemo's treatise and have kept it mind as I planned this operation.  But Paullaus is right - Ningpo is the real Achilles Heel for the Japs, in my opinion.  IE, I would be better off cancelling Nanchang and Takao to concentrate on Ningpo than the other way around.  But in this case I think Nanchang and Takao make Ningpo easier, because they are masking the true objective.  Maybe John is ahead of me on this, but I don't think so.  And if he isn't, Ningpo is going to hit him right between the eyes and shatter the defensive line he hastily cobbled together after losing most of SE China.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1237
Map of Uranus - 3/24/2009 10:48:08 PM   
Canoerebel

The situation in China on December 1, 1944. The Allies hope that the invasion of Takao, Formosa, and the sieges at Nanchang, Hanchow, and Sinyang have draw so much attention from the Japanese that they don't realize that Ningpo, a key city right at Shanghai's back door, is about to get hit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1238
RE: Map of Uranus - 3/24/2009 10:53:57 PM   
paullus99

Great map. I see lots of Japanese ship icons. Once you hit Ningpo, would it make sense to send out a carrier strike force to clear them out?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1239
RE: Map of Uranus - 3/24/2009 10:59:48 PM   
Canoerebel

Any of those TFs remaining in the Wenchow/Ningpo area ought to get hit tomorrow since the Allied carriers will be moving that way.  The carriers will, of course, provide protection for the Ningpo invasion.  From there we'll see where they go, though Japan is close to being blockaded by LBA, and will be once I can wrest Takao from the Japs (which may take weeks or maybe months).

My carriers are desperately in need of some R&R in port - Hong Kong will provide an excellent place for close-by repairs.  As soon as Ningpo is over, I'll send the most needy carriers there, while the balance remain ready to impose a blockade on Japan or whatever other opportunity may arise.

The KB hasn't shown up yet.  I assume John has them close by and that they can descend on the region in short order.  However, it has also occurred to me that he might send it raiding the sea lanes between Midway and Iwo, where there is alot of unprotected shipping; or less likely back to India if he decides to reinforce there (but that's unlikely given his recent experience with Allied LBA).

John doesn't want to face the massed Allied carriers and LBA, and I know he's in a tight spot.  I don't know what he'll do.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1240
RE: Map of Uranus - 3/24/2009 11:43:10 PM   
tocaff

OK, so given what you've learned about John's tendencies what do you think he'll do with the KB?  Where do you feel most vulnerable?  What can you do to protect that area?

If he heads back to India do you care or will that actually help your cause?  As you've said his forces there are doomed.  It'll just take some time.

If you think he won't confront your CVs and LBA then you should be safe in your ops on the China coast and Formosa.  Besides with all of the bases that you hold he'd be hard pressed to sneak in to that area.  LBA alone would pose a huge risk to the IJN.

That leaves your supply lines.  Can you afford not to protect them against this possibility?  Can you afford having it severed and having supply convoys decimated?  LBA has to many gaps to cover the route.

This of course is just my thinking about the situation and it's based on your evaluation of the possibilities.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1241
RE: Map of Uranus - 3/24/2009 11:53:51 PM   
Canoerebel

There are three main lines of supply right now that John could hit with some effect:  (1) Aden/India to Singapore - but traffic is light so this wouldn't hurt; (2) US West Coast to Hawaii/Midway:  This traffic is light enough to be very dispersed given the vast ocean space, so this wouldn't hurt either; and (3) Midway to Iwo Jima:  Traffic is currently heavy and a well-timed or lucky raid would hit alot of ships, but by no means cripple the Allies for several reasons.  First, Iwo currently has 400,000 tons of supplies; secondly, now that the Allies have linked up at Hong Kong and vicinity, they can efficiently draw supplies from either the Aden or West Coast routes.  However, I've been monitoring this traffic of late and I am holding ships at either end (Midway or Iwo) until I can better gauge what's going on.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1242
RE: D-Day Formosa - 3/25/2009 1:30:39 AM   
JeffroK

I's second the tought on whether to do Ningpo before you get at least Takao.

Where does Ningpo lead, to another Base before Shanghai.

What does your recon say about the remaing Formosa bases, has John stripped them or does he still have a large force?

Don't get carried away with your position, you have built it carefully, cant hurt to continue that way.

(PS, If you Ningpo force was to help in Formosa they'd have a few extra experience pts)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1243
Operation Uranus - 3/25/2009 1:41:54 AM   
Canoerebel

Nah, Ningpo it is. Shanghai is a bigger plum than anything on Formosa.  Moreover, Ningpo threatens much of the Jap army in China, so I think the Japs will "freak," resluting in mayhem and more opportunities.

There is risk in this operation, but I like it.

The turn of December 2 passed quietly.  Tomorrow, the Allied forces steam north into hostile waters where there can be lots of Jap LBA and other surprises, plus it's hard to put up an umbrella that can cover every contingency.  So things may happen, but I remain confident in the overall plan.

To give the appearance that Wenchow is the target, a bombardment TF will hit tonight, followed by LBA tomorrow, followed by the invasion fleet taking station one hex SE.  LBA is also scheduled to hit Shanghai's airfield.

If things go well, the invasion fleet will then move to within one hex of Ningpo day after tomorrow with the invasion the next day.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1244
RE: Operation Uranus - 3/25/2009 9:42:18 AM   
Canoerebel

12/03/44

A surprising day in that an Allied naval victory threw off the Ningpo invasion schedule by at least one day, perhaps two.  This is a good example of how a straightforward plan that is nevertheless complicated by many elements can go astray, though in this case it was for a good cause.

Operation Uranus:  The plan called for the Allies to give a mighty feint towards Wenchow to reinforce the impression that this is the next Allied amphibious target.  The bombardment TF came in on schedule, encountered a few mines that did little damage, and got in some good licks.  The LBA failed to come in, however.  The transports and most carriers were to take station one hex south of Wenchow, as though they were getting in position to land the next day.  The carriers arrived, but all the transports were set to follow a stout Royal Navy CA/CL combat TF.  That combat TF, however, encountered a Jap combat TF raiding Foochow.  Four rounds of mortal combat followed, with all Jap ships going under (six DDs and CLs Jintsu and Yubari), while one Allied DD went down with a few other ships suffering light damage.  However, my combat TF "called it a day" and began heading back south toward home base with all transports following! 

John has sighted the Allied carriers a hex from Wenchow, but the absence of transports may have detracted from the "Wenchow, here we come!" impression that I hoped to give.  He has not loaded up his airfields, as best I can determine.  Wenchow continues to have 8 units, Ningpo 4, Shanghai 4, and nearby bases very small garrisons.

The Allied transports (and victorious yet recalcitrant RN combat TF) will turn around and head back to the rendezvous hex near Wenchow, but I think it may take two days to get everything where it needs to be, then maybe two more to hit the beaches at Ningpo.  The transports are now organized to follow a lead transport TF.

Operation Neptune:  John apparently was deceived in one regard.  He must've thought this invasion armada might be heading to one of the other Formosa bases, because he pulled a division from Takao and sent it back north.  In its absence, the Allies will try another deliberate attack at Takao tomorrow, hoping to drop forts a level.

India:  The Allies booted a Jap tank regiment from Nagpur; the Japs appear to be withdrawing from Bombay and seem to have vacated Trivrandrum.  Allied strength continues to grow on the Jap perimeter.  I think the Japs may be preparing to concentrate at one base to pull a "Roark's Drift" defense against the Zulus.

Japan:  Big raid scheduled for Tokyo tomorrow.

SWPac:  The intrepid New Zealanders took a vacant Wallis Island.  Americal Division is loading on transports at Noumea and will soon head for Pago Pago.

KB:  No sign of it anywhere.  This is most un-Japanese (IRL) like, but understandable given the realities of the game.  But, goodness, at what point does John just throw up his hands and say, "I can't take these assaults on the Empire any longer; it's time to go in.  Charge!"?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/25/2009 9:44:07 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1245
RE: Operation Uranus - 3/25/2009 10:07:35 AM   
JeffroK

KB:  No sign of it anywhere.  This is most un-Japanese (IRL) like, but understandable given the realities of the game.  But, goodness, at what point does John just throw up his hands and say, "I can't take these assaults on the Empire any longer; it's time to go in.  Charge!"?

I think his Indian excursion was it, but you didnt come to play!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1246
RE: Operation Uranus - 3/25/2009 10:52:45 AM   
paullus99

Very much like Early's Raid on Washington in 1864 - despite huge public pressure to send substantial troops to help fend off the strike, Grant refused to budge & kept his death grip on Lee's Army. Same here - Dan refused to get flustered, dealt with the situation in a calm & rational manner, and ultimately will see his plan through to the end.

It occurred to me, again using the Civil War as a guide, that the current operations very much remind me of the Anaconda Plan - seize key bases along the coast to strangle the enemy's ability to supply themselves.

Happy to hear about the surface victory (though having the task force pull a "did my bit for King & Country, now we're going home" kind of stinks). I don't think this should be any kind of setback, you have so much going on right now, I doubt John is looking in the right direction & trying to deal with the multiple curveballs you've already thrown at him.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1247
D-Day at Ningpo, China - 3/26/2009 2:55:28 PM   
Canoerebel

12/4/44 and 12/5/44

I think things went about as well for the Allies over this two-day period as could be possible.

Operation Uranus:  Recovery from the disruption resulting from the Allied naval victory at Foochow on the 3rd didn't take as long as I had expected.  Nearly all transports were a hex from Ningpo by the 5th, with D-Day scheduled for December 6.  The garrisons at the key bases (Ningpo with 4 units, Shanghai with 4, and Wenchow with 8) remains the same.  Unless I'm really off the mark, Ningpo should fall to the Allies within three days.

As the ships drew closer to Ningpo over these two days, there were some major air-sea and air-ground engagements that went decisively to the Allies.  On the 4th, major Jap air strikes from Wenchow and Shanghai targeted an Allied combat TF at Wenchow.  The Japs sank CA Wichita, but the cost was dreadfully high.  A major Allied raid on Shanghai caught 55 aircraft on the ground, and the CAP over the Wichita TF got something like 140 aircraft (on the 4th, the Japs lost 301 aircraft total to just 38 for the Allies).

On the 5th, Allied 4EB again targeted Shanghai, knocking out 81 aircraft on the ground.  This time Jap bombers targeted the Allied carrier TFs, but with terrible results.  The Japs lost 191 aircraft in a-2-a battles, with 37 Allied fighters going down.  Over two days, the Japs lost 578 aircraft to 104 for the Allies.

On the eve of D-Day, John has pulled his aircraft from Shanghai and there doesn't appear to be any major threat from the air to the Allied operations.

If Ningpo falls quickly, Shanghai is in trouble and big Jap armies at Wenchow and Nanchang are either caught out of position (at best, for John) or threatened with isolation and destruction.  I'm sure the Jap army is already scrambling in reaction to the invasion of Ningpo, and it will be interesting to see what transpires over the next few weeks.

Where is the KB?

Operation Neptune:  John had withdrawn a few divisions from Takao thinking they might be needed to defend other Formosa bases because the Allied amphibious TFs sailed close by and could have been aiming for those beaches.  While they were away, the Allies launched successive deliberate attacks that lowered forts from 8 to 6.  The second attack followed what I can only describe as an ill-advised Jap shock attack that came in at 0:1 and cost the Japs 8,854/248/8 to 1552/42/1.  As a result, that second Allied attack was nearly a 2:1.  I think John is bringing his absent troops back to Takao, but I'll try one more fort-busting attack tomorrow.  In any event, the confusion caused by Operation Uranus has seriously weakened the Jap position at Takao.  Reinforcements are ready to head this way once the Uranus transports are available again, so the Allies may be able to take Takao far sooner than I had expected.

Japan:  The Shikuka B-29s hit Tokyo's Heavy Industry on successive days, wiping out better than 300.  So far the Toyohara 4EB have failed to fly over these two days, but they'll try again tomorrow.

India: The marbles continue to roll around in the metal bucket, though I think eventually they'll end up in one corner or two, where the Japs will make their last stand.  Allied units are pressing in from the perimeter, pushing back the eastern line of Jap defenses. 

Points:  (A) 87,458 (J) 57,440; Ratio:  1.52 to 1; Strategic Points:  17,288

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1248
RE: D-Day at Ningpo, China - 3/26/2009 3:23:50 PM   
tocaff

You have managed to reinforce what is always said, that the Allied player should never throw in the towel no matter how bad things look.  If the Japs don't get an auto victory the Allied player should be able to claw his way back from the scrap heap.  Your strategies and tactics have worked so far so stick to it.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1249
RE: D-Day at Ningpo, China - 3/26/2009 3:30:42 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, tocaff.  It goes without saying, but I should say it frequently nevertheless, that most of the Allied success in this game is due to to the immense power given to the Allies.  I'm glad that I didn't concede early on when things were so bleak, and I'm pleased with the rather unorthodox Allied strategy that seems to keep the Japs off balance, but the game is weighted so heavily toward the Allies at this point that even a relative novice can compete against an experienced player.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1250
RE: D-Day at Ningpo, China - 3/26/2009 3:40:06 PM   
Mark VII

But IRL thats the way it was. American production just overwhelmed the Japs, don't be sorry for that.

This game should mirror that, the Japs run wild for the first 6-12 months and then the Allies get their run wild time in 44 and 45. How the players use this time decides the game. You have had some good ideas and have executed well during the Allied comeback.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Thanks, tocaff.  It goes without saying, but I should say it frequently nevertheless, that most of the Allied success in this game is due to to the immense power given to the Allies.  I'm glad that I didn't concede early on when things were so bleak, and I'm pleased with the rather unorthodox Allied strategy that seems to keep the Japs off balance, but the game is weighted so heavily toward the Allies at this point that even a relative novice can compete against an experienced player.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1251
Landing on Uranus - 3/26/2009 6:23:34 PM   
Canoerebel

12/6/44

Operation Uranus:  Judging from the events thus far and John's email comments, it looks like the Allies guessed right - that the Japs weren't expecting an attack at Ningpo, are unprepared, and are very concerned about the implications.  There were no mines at Ningp, a good thing since the Allies lost alot of MSW at Formosa, and shore guns did little damage.  The Allies landed 2500 AV with alot more to follow tomorrow.  The Japs have 68th Independent Brigade and 17th Mixed/B Brigade as a garrison.  The Allied attack tomorrow should take the town, thus threatening to isolate Wenchow and posing serious threats to Shanghai and to the Jap army at Nanchang.  There was no air or naval combat to speak of.  Troops prepping for both Hengchow and Shanghai are on the way to Ningpo already.  John will soon have a massive army closer to Shanghai (which is garrisoned by just four units) than are his own armies in China. 

Operation Neptune:  The Allied tried a third consecutive deliberate attack at Takao, but this one came off at 0:1 and failed to touch the forts.  So for now I'll rest my troops.

India:  The Japs tried a second deliberate attack at Bombay; it came off at 0:1, the Japs took about 9x casualties, but managed to drop forts to 7.  I'm will start air transporting a unit from Nagpur to Bombay tomorrow.  A Jap unit just arrived at a vacant Bhopal; I'm going to air transport a unit there too.  The Allies reclaimed a vacant Mannargudi (south of Madras).

SWPAC: The Kiwis took unoccupied Ha'apai Island (south of Pago Pago).

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 1252
RE: Landing on Uranus - 3/26/2009 6:48:46 PM   
Mark VII

you take Shanghai and the surrounding area, you don't need Formosa. Several nice places for new "closer" strategic bombing bases on the South side of Japan. Look at Amami, can be built to a level 4 airbase and a great place to base some Marine Air to interdict Jap merch'ies if not heavily defended.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1253
Allies take Uranus - 3/27/2009 1:13:25 PM   
Canoerebel

I have a busy morning, so can't post in detail until later today, but December 7 wasn't a good day for the Japs.  The Allies took Ningpo easily and now have a huge army on the doorstep of Shanghai.  John sent an email suggesting it might be time to concede the game.  I sent him back this email hoping to prod him to continue a bit longer (but I'll understand if he chooses to call it a game):

"I understand.  It's hard to take lumps for a long time, but especially
so when there doesn't seem to be any "light at the end of the tunnel." 
Let me know one way or the other.

"But this may not be the best point to concede from a Japanese point of
view for two reasons:  (1) It's December 7, and (2) it was just a few
weeks ago that you told me that due to my mistakes the game would end
in 1945 rather than 1944.  Even though things are bleak, there is no
doubt the Japs can hold out well into '45 if you're willing to keep
taking punishment."

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 1254
RE: Allies take Uranus - 3/27/2009 4:52:39 PM   
Canoerebel

12/07/44

Operation Uranus:  Allied landings continued without molestation from the Jap army or navy, and then the ground troops took the base on a 14:1 shock attack, booting the defenders back towards Hangchow.  The Allies will begin advancing units into that hex (where they'll be blocking the road out of Wenchow) and then another hex, where they'll be sitting astride the road that leads from Nanchang to Shanghai.  The Japs are in big trouble here and more Allied units - including plenty that have been prepping for Hangchow and Shanghai - are on the way to Ningpo.  I will be interested in seeing whether John pulls units out of Nanchang to bolster Shanghai's weak garrison.  He'll have problems if he does, because a massive army is at and just behind Nanchang waiting to break through there too.  I believe the Allies have achieved a breakthrough of massive proportions that may result in most of eastern China falling to the Allies, and may even lead to an Allied invasion of Korea.

Operation Neptune:  John appears to be pulling troops out of Takao, for some reason.  If he leaves his army there, and if they have decent supplies, he can hold the base until I reinforce, which will take awhile.  However, if he weakens his garrison I may be able to take the base fairly soon.

Japan:  The 4EB from Toyohara (160 B-17 and B-24) finally went after Tokyo, hitting the airfield, the Okha factory, and an aircraft factory or two.

KB:  No sign of it.  John should be employing it against the Uranus invasion, even though that would be a rather hopeless endeavor, but I think he may have it in position to raid sea lanes.  As referenced several entries ago, I have ordered all ships making for Iwo or Midway to stay in port upon arrival until I can acertain the KB's whereabouts.

India:  A Jap tank unit took Bhopal.  Air transport has lifted another 75 AV to Bombay, bringing the total AV to about 400.  I'll lift another 100 AV there.  The unit going in is an Indian division 50% prepped for Bombay, so I think the base is as safe as I need to make it.

Points:  (A) 87,713 (J) 57,455; Ratio:  1.52 to 1; Strategic Points:  17,304

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1255
RE: Allies take Uranus - 3/30/2009 3:30:51 PM   
Canoerebel

My opponent has at least temporarily vacated the game.  He sent a message a few days ago that he was considering his options (whether to concede the game or to continue), but nothing since then.  He's probably still mulling it over, but until he makes a decision a cease fire is in effect.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1256
RE: Allies take Uranus - 3/30/2009 11:54:51 PM   
Canoerebel

12/08/44

No sooner do I assume that a cease fire is in effect than my opponent elects to continue the war.  Onward!

Operation Uranus:  Allied troops continue to land at this level one port/level one airfield (but good progress is already being made to raise both levels).  The Allies have 3500 AV ashore, with at least another 2,000 coming.  About 2,500 AV is already on the road west where I expect it to cut-off the Jap garrison at Wenchow and then cut the road between Shanghai and Nanchang.  No sign yet of the Japs withdrawing from Nanchang.  Allied LBA continues to pummel Shanghai and Wenchow; a few weak air attacks from Wenchow were easily repulsed.

Operation Shooting Star:  I'm not quite sure yet whether the Japs are pulling some troops out of Takao; I'm going to let my guys rest another turn before trying a probing counterattack.  Reinforcements are gathering at Hong Kong and will be lifted to Takao soon.

India:  The Allies reclaimed Madurai and should take Trivandrum in a few days.  The Japs seem to be congregating at Bombay, near Pangim, and Bangalore.  Allied forces continue to move in from the east and north.

Japan:  Big raid ordered on Tokyo tomorrow.

KB:  No sign of it.  Since John has elected to continue the game, I would assume that his chief desire is to make some use of this still-strong force.  He may raid my supply lines or pounce on my carriers, or he may wait awhile until something favorable seems to occur.

Points:  (A) 87,819 (J) 57,488; Ratio:  1.52 to 1; Strategic Points:  17,304

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/30/2009 11:55:30 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1257
RE: Allies take Uranus - 3/31/2009 7:32:53 PM   
Canoerebel

12/09/44

We are in the midst of a relatively quiet spell as the Allies advance out of Ningpo and the Japs unleash the KB...assuming, that is, that the KB isn't just a mythical creation steaming to and fro in my imagination.

China:  It will take the Allied army a few days to advance out of Ningpo.  A tank unit already did so (and will probably get pushed back for its trouble).  Infantry units trail, ranging from 7 to 30 miles along the road to that hex.  Lots more is aboard ships on the way to Ningpo.  No sign of the Japs pulling back from Nanchang or Wenchow, yet.  Allied LBA continues to hammer Shanghai's airfield, and to a lesser extent Wenchow's.

Formosa:  I think John has weakened his garrison at Takao, although I can't imagine why, so the Allies will try a probing attack tomorrow hoping to drop the fort level a bit.

Japan:  Big fighter sweep and bomber raid at Tokyo, focusing on the airfield and heavy industry.

Points:  (A) 88,021 (J) 57,480; Ratio:  1.53 to 1; Strategic Points:  17,464

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1258
RE: Allies take Uranus - 4/1/2009 2:47:09 PM   
Canoerebel

12/10/44

China:  Some of the big Allied army will advance a hex west of Ningpo tomorrow, cutting off the Jap army at Wenchow, threatening the flank of the huge Jap army at Nanchang, and threatening Shanghai.  It will take three or for more days for the entire Allied army to advance into that hex.  This army will have an AV of about 5,000.  The Allied army at and near Nanchang has an AV of at least 7,000.  Shanghai only has four defending units, and the base in front of Shanghai (Hanchow) only has two units.  It will be interesting to see whether John pulls out of Nanchang to defend Shanghai; I think he has to, but he may have other plans.  Ninpo's airfield should go to level two tomorrow.  The Allies will also try probing attacks at Sinyang and the adjacent base tomorrow.  These bases threaten Nanchang's flank from the north, but the Allies probably don't have enough to punch through from that direction.

Formosa:  The probing attack by the Allies nearly made it to 2:1 (2400 AV to 1300 AV) and dropped forts to five.  John will have to reinforce or the city will soon fall.  Reinforcements prepping for Takao are located at Hong Kong and Foochow if needed.  If they aren't needed, they will probably change prep to Shanghai, or possibly even to another, more remote target further behind enemy lines.  The Allied troops at Takao would rest following its fall and begin prepping for the next base on Formosa.  They'll probably remain on Formosa until the end of the war (or until Formosa falls, whichever occurs first).

India:  The Allies should reclaim a vacant Trivandrum tomorrow.

KB:  No sign of it.  I noted the title of John's most recent AAR post - "Kaigun sails," or something of the sort.  I think the Kaigun is an alias for the Jap Navy, but I did a Google search a month ago and couldn't find anything.  So if the Kaigun is anything other than the Jap Navy, tell John that his AAR title went over my head.  (I know he posts disinformation AAR titles just like I do).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1259
RE: Allies take Uranus - 4/1/2009 4:24:12 PM   
vettim89

Dan,

Some thoughts for you. I am a former reader of both AAR's but I withdrew from John's when he invaded India. The reason I did this is so I could post in here without feeling like I was a spy. Some food for thought.

First, I know John is about done with this game from his comments in The First Team AAR. So I was hoping you might be able to get an AUtovictory before he "Throws in the towel" (Which I noticed was a title of one of the posts in his AAR recently - not viewed only saw it pop up on the main screen)

Second, you need roughly 12k points by 1 January 1945 for an Autovictory. How do you get there is the question. Some ideas.

1. Accrue as many base points as possible. For this I think you need to reassess your priorities. Base VP are base value X (port level + AB level x 2). First any high value base you have that is not completely built out should be done so as quickly as possible. Some of the bases within your grasp are huge as far as point values

* Takao 675
* Shanghai 2700
* Taihaki (Formosa) 57
* Taieku (Formosa) 275
* Hangchow 33
* Naha (Okinawa) 900
* Kadina (Okinawa) 675

The Okinawa bases are probably out of reach for a month but the Chines bases and at least Takao are not. If you can take Shanghai and it is 6 AB, 6 port (just guessing) that is 32400 points! Bang you are there!

2. Try to elimnate as many isolated pockets of army points there may be. I realize there are very few but get what you can

3. Try to trap KB. Send empty transports south. Go for somewhre ridiculous like Truk or Davao or Soerobaja. See if you can draw John out

While 2 and 3 will get you some points and 3 might be fun, get Shanghai and the fat lady sings.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1260
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: D-Day Formosa Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI