Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Management Questions Not Covered By Manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Management Questions Not Covered By Manual Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:20:57 AM   
BaseballNoob

1) What is a Pitch Around and when can I use it?

2) What does Guard Lines do and when can I use it?

3) What does Pitch Out do and when can I use it?

4) What is the difference between selecting Normal, Intentional Walk, and Pitch Around pitching styles?

5) When can I select an IN Infield Depth?

6) What is a Hit and Run and when can I use it?

7) Do you have to have a runner in appropriate position to toggle the stealing options? Does the runner make the final decision as to steal?

8) Does player condition/fatigue change during a game? How do you tell when a pitcher has had enough for the day?

9) How do you Pinch Hit for Pitcher? I used the Lineup option and it replaced my pitcher with a centerfielder (who struck out). When the other team went up to bat it showed my pitcher on my side of the screen, but prompted me to put a pitcher in the game. I just wanted a Pinch Hitter, not to take the pitcher out of the game.

These are just what I've come across in my first attempt at managing a game. If this stuff is in the manual I can't find it!

< Message edited by BaseballNoob -- 10/19/2007 3:31:07 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:44:37 AM   
Nukester

Pitch around means your deliberately not throwing alot of strikes and are kind of pitching around the plate. Increaes the chance of a walk, but what you are doing is trying to get a batter to swing at a bad pitch

Guard lines means your 1B and 3B play closer to the line in the field. This is used to try and stop batted balls from being ripped down the line, which typically results in a double or better. The downside is that it leaves a larger gap between the first baseman and second baseman, and between the thirdbaseman and the shortstop, and makes it easier to punch a single through

Pitch out means you intentionally throw a pitch waaay outside, where your catcher has a better chance to throw out a wouldbe basestealer. Results in a ball for the batter, but greatly increases the chance of throwing out a basestealer. The game will only pitchout if the count is favorable for a pitchout (the game decides that)

4) What is the difference between selecting Normal, Intentional Walk, and Pitch Around pitching styles?

Normal is, well, normal. A mix of balls and strikes. Intentional walk is when you dont even really pitch to a batter, instead intentionally pitching 4 balls waaaay outside. Mostly used to set up a force play, like if there is 1 out and a man on 3rd, you might want to intentionally walk a batter to set up the double play. Really only used later in the game when getting kind of desperate, or to get past a great hitter with a bad hitter hitting behind him (Barry Bonds gets intentionally walked ALOT)

You can select infield in when there is a runner on base, typically 3rd base, and you either expect a bunt, or if you want to try and stop the baserunner from scoring on a ground ball

Hit and Run is an offensive "play", sort of like a stolen base, except the base runner waits a little longer before taking off, and the batter is going to pretty much swing no matter where the pitch is, to try and protect the baserunner. The point is to try and advance the baserunner at least 2 bases on a base hit, since he is pretty much taking off with the crack of the bat. The downside is that the batter is going to swing at more bad pitches, or the baserunner could get doubled up if the batted ball is a fly ball or a linedrive out

7) Do you have to have a runner in appropriate position to toggle the stealing options? Does the runner make the final decision as to steal?

If there is a runner on base, you should be able to steal. I dont play many games out so Im not sure if teh runner has the last say or not. I think if you say steal, he gives it a try no matter what, but I could be wrong there

8) Does player condition/fatigue change during a game? How do you tell when a pitcher has had enough for the day?

The game doesnt really give you a clear cut answer during a game as to how tired a pitcher is. However, if you look at his pitch count and velocity,you will be able to tell when they are tired. A starter can typically throw around 100 pitches before his stamina has an effect (this could be in 6 innings if hes walking alot of batters or striking out alot...it could be a complete game if hes having a good night). If the volocity starts falling, hes getting tired too. A releiver usually will throw far less pitches before petering out....A closer, probably around 15-20 pitches

Hope that helps a little

(in reply to BaseballNoob)
Post #: 2
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:48:49 AM   
donkuchi19

quote:

ORIGINAL: BaseballNoob

9) How do you Pinch Hit for Pitcher? I used the Lineup option and it replaced my pitcher with a centerfielder (who struck out). When the other team went up to bat it showed my pitcher on my side of the screen, but prompted me to put a pitcher in the game. I just wanted a Pinch Hitter, not to take the pitcher out of the game.

These are just what I've come across in my first attempt at managing a game. If this stuff is in the manual I can't find it!

1) Pitch around is used when you don't want to give a good hitter a good pitch to hit. For example, if you have a good hitter up with a runner in scoring position (2nd or 3rd) and two outs and the hitter following him is weaker, you may want to face the next batter instead. You either pitch around or give an intentional walk. A pitch around is more likely to result in a walk as it is but it could result in a hit.

2) Guard lines prevents the batter from easily getting a double. You use it late in a game when the score is close to avoid getting runners in scoring position.

3) Pitch out is used when there is a fast runner on first base that you think may steal a base. A pitch out is called hoping that you guess that the runner is going so you can more easily throw the runner out on a steal.

4) See pitch around above. Intentional walk gives the batter a free pass to first base.

5) You can select it at any time but you use it when there is a runner on third and you want to try and keep him from scoring. A ground ball hit at a defender will result in an out at the plate hopefully. The batter is more likely to get a hit though since the ball is more likely to go through the infield. (You would only do this with less than two outs since at two outs, you would play for the out at first)

6) During a hit and run, you start the base runner with the pitch hoping that the batter will put the ball in play. It can prevent a double play because the runner hopefully makes it to second and the play goes to first. You can also advance the runner to third on a single.

7) When I manage, I just pick to steal the next available base. The runner goes when he thinks it is appropriate.

8) Watch the speed of the fastball. (Last pitch 75 MPH fastball would indicate a tired pitcher or Tim Wakefield) When the speed goes down, that indicates that the pitcher is tired already.

9) Whenever you pinch hit, the player that you pinch hit for cannot return to the game. That is MLB rules.

I hope this helps.

Post #: 3
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:50:17 AM   
BaseballNoob

It definitely helps a lot, though I am still coming across things that I can't figure out (see #9 above). I am also having a problem at the moment where I keep setting my outfield to Deep and if I close the screen and go back in it's set to Normal again. It's actually giving me a headache and I'm starting to think that I don't really like managing games.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 4
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:53:22 AM   
donkuchi19

You only set the outfield to deep in games that are close with power hitters at bat. You don't want them to hit the ball over your head and get a double. It is kind of the same as guard lines on the infield.

Post #: 5
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:54:28 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Noob,

Outfield settings are not permanent. They're play-by-play. The reason being that you don't want them to ALWAYS play deep. Otherwise a single that rolls past the infield will take forever for your guys to get to. That, or a bloop single, will kill you.

Regarding #9, that's MLB rules, that's not a game oversight. If you don't want to lose a pitcher and have someone hit for them, consider a DH.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

Post #: 6
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:55:02 AM   
BaseballNoob

I'm printing this page for reference! Can you only select one management option at a time? It seems that if I tell my infield to play In, and tell my outfield to play Deep, the play summary only shows that I told my infield to play In. 

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 7
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:57:37 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nukester

The game doesnt really give you a clear cut answer during a game as to how tired a pitcher is. However, if you look at his pitch count and velocity,you will be able to tell when they are tired. A starter can typically throw around 100 pitches before his stamina has an effect (this could be in 6 innings if hes walking alot of batters or striking out alot...it could be a complete game if hes having a good night). If the volocity starts falling, hes getting tired too. A releiver usually will throw far less pitches before petering out....A closer, probably around 15-20 pitches

As Nuke said, the number of pitches is more important than the number of innings. I've had one pitcher reach 105 pitches by only the 5th inning, while in the next game a different pitcher they threw a complete game needing only 87. There is no crystal ball, no ESP, no clear cut formula or PULL THEM NOW! green light that goes off. You have to play it by ear. The pitcher's Endurance should be a guide... but not a set rule. There are too many variables to consider.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 10/19/2007 4:01:22 AM >

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 8
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 4:04:58 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Remember one other thing, Noob. This game is not a Baseball Instructional Video. It's not meant to teach you how to play baseball. Sure, that can happen, and it can help you learn the game, but that's not the purpose of it.

If you play a FPS, it doesn't tell you to move out of the way when a tank is headed towards you, to take cover when being shot at, and to kill the enemy. These things are typically already known when you take jump into a game like that. A WWII FPS may tell you a little bit of history about the M1 Garand, but it won't say "Aim the tube-looking thing with the hole at the end towards enemy. Pull trigger. Repeat if necessary".

It's a manual on how to play PureSim, not on how to play Baseball.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 10/19/2007 4:33:02 AM >

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 9
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 6:08:03 AM   
BaseballNoob

Thanks for all of these answers. I think I'm beginning to understand the tactical aspect of the 'battle' a little bit more. What about when you are on the offense? What is the difference between a bunt and a sacrifice bunt? I saw my opponent once lead the inning off with a bunt and couldn't understand the logic behind that.

Post #: 10
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 2:21:11 PM   
Menschenfresser

A bunt is theoretically no different from a normal 'hit'. It is just that the batter sticks his bat out and knocks the ball down in the dirt resulting in it rolling forward (optimally toward the third baseman). A Sacrifice bunt is the same thing as a sacrifice fly, only it includes a bunt. The batter expects to get thrown out at first, but a man on first or second will be able to advance to the next base. In other words, he is sacrificing his at bat in order to advance a runner already on base.

Make wargames, not war.

Post #: 11
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 3:56:46 PM   
BaseballNoob

Then maybe I am misremembering, and my opponent didn't lead off the inning with a bunt, as there seems to be no reason to do it without runners on base. Though I'm thinking that if a player is not a powerful hitter, but a fast runner, it may not be a bad idea to attempt a bunt with no runners on base, hoping to outrun the fielders. Whoa! I think I just had a Manager Moment (tm)!

(in reply to Menschenfresser)
Post #: 12
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 4:14:26 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Noob,

Actually, there IS a reason why someone would lead off with a bunt, and so odds are that you probably DID see it happen. It actually goes back to what you just said-- a case where a batter is a better runner than a hitter. Sometimes, albeit rarely, speedsters will try to get a "bunt single". In this scenario, they drop a bunt with no one on base; as you can imagine, it's these situations where the defense isn't EXPECTING one. The plan/hope is that the speedster can reach first base before the opposing team can react, grab the ball and throw him out. Obviously it's very risky and it doesn't always work. If the hitter happens to reach safely, it's referred to as a "bunt single", but is otherwise treated (statistically) as a regular hit.

Post #: 13
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 5:17:32 PM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: BaseballNoob

Though I'm thinking that if a player is not a powerful hitter, but a fast runner, it may not be a bad idea to attempt a bunt with no runners on base, hoping to outrun the fielders. Whoa! I think I just had a Manager Moment (tm)!

Exactly !

As the Cold Stiff One said above, it is a bit risky. Do it too much and the defense can start playing the infield in, to get to the ball quicker (although I dont know if the game learns and reacts like that. I doubt it)

< Message edited by Nukester -- 10/19/2007 5:22:55 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/19/2007 6:29:30 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Nuke,

Don't be so sure... I've seen the opposing team call for a Pitch Around when my prime base stealer makes it to first. It started happening as we neared the halfway point of the season. His Caught Stealing numbers started to climb...

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 15
RE: Management Questions Not Covered By Manual - 10/20/2007 2:28:56 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

Nuke,

Don't be so sure... I've seen the opposing team call for a Pitch Around when my prime base stealer makes it to first. It started happening as we neared the halfway point of the season. His Caught Stealing numbers started to climb...

We'd be giving the AI manager too much credit if it had a "learning" holistic, BUT, I think that it uses probabilities for determining its defensive stances. I haven't tried to figure out the AI, and find ways to "trick" it. That wouldn't be kosher. I just play as if I'm playing against a human. Trickery doesn't often play out well. For me, it's more like ol' Pop Fisher -- "Go out there and knock the cover off the ball!" or "Throw stikes!".

Think about this -- it's easy to outsmart yourself. So, more often that not, the best move is to just let the players go out and give it their best shot.

BTW, the in-game AI manager IS pretty damn good.

PS In-game managing teaches you as much about yourself as it does the intricacies of baseball strategy. Are you a risk-taker, or are you more comfortable in playing it safe? I truly believe this.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/20/2007 2:38:26 AM >

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Management Questions Not Covered By Manual Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI