Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 7:52:34 PM   
dave74

Off my southern coast i attack a British fleet, which is mainly cargo ships but has one cruiser MK II, which i would like to sink!

It looks like it got away but took some considerable damage. I also managed to sink a total of 9 British cargo ships this turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/6/2007 7:53:03 PM >

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 61
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 7:58:47 PM   
dave74

Meanwhile, its hotting up on the southern island. I am getting reports of huge battles raging across this island between the germans and the british. I am content to build up as the british position is weakening, but i will make my move soon as i do not know how strong the germans are.

My strategy here is to attempt to push the british to the southern most part of the island where there is a chokepoint and then if possible push the germans to the western side of the island past the mountain range which is in the middle of the island.

This will then open me up to a two front war on this island alone. But i think doing nothing and letting one of these get too strong may be even worse. I also keep casting a nervous eye at the huge red island in the centre. The soviets could move against me at any time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 62
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 8:05:28 PM   
Punzer

Looks like you're winning this one, Dave.   I'm learning alot just following along.

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 63
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 8:09:31 PM   
dave74

thanks pika,

i woudnt say i'm winning , more like holding my own at the moment. I havent launched any major offensives yet. But soon i hope to have my airforce up and running, then maybe i can use combined arms to take more cities.

Really enjoying this game. I am please people are enjoying reading it. I am no expert at writing AAR's but thought that something like this might help other beginners or help persude people who are 'on the fence' to jump in!!

(in reply to Punzer)
Post #: 64
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 9:00:20 PM   
therockyfroggy

I'm actually hoping you get spanked....going up against 5 or 6 AI+ enemies with both land and naval, for a beginner, should be super duper tough to win.   I always like to play my first few games and get destroyed so I know I have a lot to learn and a lot of strategy to figure out.

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 65
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 9:12:05 PM   
dave74

I understand what you are saying there trf, i think it is quite possible that i will to be honest!

(in reply to therockyfroggy)
Post #: 66
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 9:13:38 PM   
seille

When one AI has eaten up another and "decide" to attack you it will be hard for you especially since AI+.
I think you should eliminate a AI as fast as possible and grab the cities.
As you already said the Russians could become a problem.
Not an easy setup you choosed here. Fortunately you did not select "Allied AI´s" 
I hope you can kick the AI, but it won´t be easy.

(in reply to therockyfroggy)
Post #: 67
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 9:16:54 PM   
seille

You should mobilize your units by trucks in the center island and use planes/artillery as support.
Your foot troops there are too slow and time is working for the AI.

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 68
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 9:33:53 PM   
dave74

Seille, stop trying to scare me!! I am trying to get some air assetts over there now. I understand your reasoning about the ai. As i said, i am a beginner so i will take on board what you say and hope i learn fast!!!

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 69
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 9:36:19 PM   
dave74

TURN 16 -

A Lot of naval action this turn. The American fleet attacked me on his turn and i followed up by attacking him on my turn. Also i sucesfully destroyed a british cargo fleet protected by a cruiser and sank a division that was on board.

Here are my overall kills/losses so far in this game -

In fighting the americans i lost 4 destroyers and a cruiser (1 destroyer and 1 cruser out of this in the USA's turn) but sank 6 Crusier Mk II's (3 in the USA's turn) which i am pleased with. I had no land battles this turn so the british division that sank must have comprised all the above land based assets including a medium tank company and two infantry guns as well as various infantry units. The British also lost 9 cargo ships and a Cruiser MKII.

All in all not a bad turn in the naval war. It is worrying how far behind in research i am though.

My kill ratio's are also good but this means nothing in terms of how well i'm doing, even though it makes me feel like i'm doing well .

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 1:32:14 AM >

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 70
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/6/2007 9:45:44 PM   
dave74

On the Southern island i have moved my hq's into forward positions to start an attack on the British.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 71
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 12:31:03 AM   
dave74

TURN 17 -

The USA have again launched a head on assault on my strong positions, resulting in the destruction of another division. This has also led to them having cargo ships unprotected off my coast, which i will send my newly assembled airforce to attack -

There have also been several more naval engagements in both The USA turn and my turn, the result of which is i can now only see 1 USA Cruiser II in the battle zone and i'm pretty sure that is badly damaged. I have again lost destroyers, 2 this turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 12:32:43 AM >

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 72
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 12:36:33 AM   
dave74

On the southern island, i decide to start my offensive against Britain, i now have air units in place which can help with the attack. I manage to inflict casualties on the front line British formations and push them back.

I also researched Rifle II this turn and will start producing these units. The game actually updates your production lines from lower levels of tech which is a nice touch.

I also research my first armoured unit -

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 73
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 1:21:42 AM   
Rik81

Continues to be a fascinating read. I too wonder about the wisdom of taking on so many AI opponents. I do realize that they are supposedly fighting each other also. Is there some kind of report breakdown via each opponent? Another question (which I can probably find elsewhere, but you are convenient. Are there Aircraft Carriers in the game?

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 74
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 1:30:13 AM   
dave74

Rik81,

I am also questioning my wisdom in fighting so many ai opponents, but it is fun!!

You do not get a report on your enemies, but if there is a battle near your positions between two other regimes, you get the result of that battle. In ths game i am constanty getting reports of British-German battles that are being fought.

Yes there are aircraft carriers, but i think i am a long way of them yet. Also i think Vic has said that the ai cannot use them.

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 2:15:17 AM >

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 75
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 1:37:40 AM   
Warspite3

Keep it coming, a few more turns  Its really getting good now!  Rik81 if you look at the above screenshot under the not yet available research, it shows 3 levels of Carriers there but dave don't have them yet. I bet if he decides to attack red, he could certainly use them. I wonder if torpedo bombers are in the game? If so maybe they could be good. It looks like those 4 dive bombers sank 7 cargo ships, thats a solid attack I say.

-Warspite3-

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 76
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 2:04:15 AM   
dave74

TURN 18 -

I was wrong about the US navy being decimated!! a group of 3 Cruiser II's attacked my squadron of 3 Cruisers, sinkling two of them. Not good.

I decide to launch an air strike on a group of US ships rsulting in more bad news (lesson learned do not use air strikes against cruisers) -

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 2:08:27 AM >

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 77
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 2:08:35 AM   
dave74

I continue my advance on the southern island, pushing the British back without much loss. Unfortunately the Germans seem to be steamrollering the British, so they may be a tougher opponent.

My first few light tank companies were made this turn, but i must admit my resources are stretched, i am in a naval attrition battle when i thought i had won, i need more land units for my southern offensive and i still need to crank out pp's to keep up with research (which i am not doing enough off!!)

In other words, this is great fun. I may have bitten off more than i can chew though and i need to get my hands on some production pretty quickly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 78
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 2:16:53 AM   
kevinkins

Keep this thread going as it is very valuable. Thanks Dave!!!

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 79
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 2:33:13 AM   
SMK-at-work

yes it's really quite good!!  Well done.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 80
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 2:54:01 AM   
dave74

TURN 19 -

The USA have again initiated naval contact, both sides losing 2 ships each. They now seem to have pulled back to regroup, i do the same as my navy is battered. I reorganise the northern fleet into one strong division as that is all that is left, although i do have 5 more cruisers on the way to get it back up to scratch. Another bonus in doing this is you regain the precious political points used in making the divisions.

On the Southern Front, German Armour is smashing the now weak British units, so i decide to attack these units with my divebombers and manage to destroy several light tanks and armoured cars.

I am re-enforcing this front as much as possible and now have about 4 squadrons of 2 dive bombers / 2 fighters in this theatre. I need to take the central town held by the british even though it is not a big production town, as i will be able to base my airforce here.

Another thing this turn, i had my southern fleet bombard a British town that i think is being used to attack me, this damages not only units based there but also production capacity.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 81
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 2:58:22 AM   
Rik81

Thanks for your reply.  Again, this is an enjoyable read.  How would you rate the manual?

Post #: 82
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 3:03:06 AM   
Warspite3

Alot of WW2 era cruisers were heavily armed with AA but looks like you managed to at least sink 3 cargo ships. Man it looks like the british are forced into fighting a two front war! Thats a bad situation, lucky you're not them. No wonder you are able to push them back without much loss.

-Warspite3-

Post #: 83
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 3:07:55 AM   
dave74

Rik 81,

The manual is ok, but to be honest the game is very intuative, its so easy to set up formations and put sub-formations in there, combat is easy to do as well.

I would not claim to know the mechanics of combat or supply, but that is the beauty of this game, you dont need to, i mean anyone who likes history will know that machine guns are good defence against infantry and that tanks will destory machine guns etc...

I really recommend this game, i cant stop playing. My girlfriend is none too happy with me tonight, i watched a film with her, bought her a chinese and then sneaked upstairs to play this!!!

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 3:12:39 AM >

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 84
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 3:08:50 AM   
dave74

Warspite,

I am trying my best to minimize casualties as i know the ai can out produce me (he gets that 100% production bonus for being on level ai+, also most ai regimes have more towns than me).

This is something i am really enjoying as i really have to think about my production, which makes the game even more interesting to play.

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 3:11:54 AM >

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 85
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 3:29:22 AM   
dave74

TURN 20 -

The US again attempts an amphibious landing, losing three divisions in the process. The cargo ships with them are unguarded so air and naval attacks are sent and these three ships are sunk.

I am gaining strength on the southern island and i now seem to have air superiority. I order my largest air assault yet - against a German armoured division -

Half the division, including over half of the armour are destroyed, Without any loss to my airforce.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 3:35:36 AM >

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 86
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 3:33:45 AM   
dave74

I seem to be improving my position with each turn, i am producing more than i lose, but i am aware that i am not increasing my production base, which is hampering me a lot. A look at my production statistics show that i have not increase my production capacity since turn ten.

This is not good. It would be interesting to see what my enemies production is, i am assuming the soviet (red regime on the minimap) production is huge by now due to the amount of land they hold -

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 87
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 3:39:27 AM   
dave74

Research on this turn again goes towards my navy -

I have only seen my oponent produce cruisers, so maybe he does not have destroyers so i may be able to gain an advantage with a few submarine fleets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 3:40:51 AM >

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 88
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 5:12:46 AM   
Warspite3

Even though I now bought the game, I still would love to see some more of this. Heck it may all make more sense now.

-Warspite3-

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 89
RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! - 11/7/2007 10:08:58 AM   
dave74

TURN 21 -

Yet another US assault is destroyed and again the cargo ships allocated to this assault are hit by combined naval and air strikes and sunk.

My southern fleet continues to bombard the British city destroying ships in port and damaging the city.

Across the sothern island i launch air strikes against both British and German targets, then my land forces begin to push both regimes slowly back across the island...

I also researched SMG infantry and armoured cars this turn. As i have research Rifle II, my SMG infantry will automatically be level II.

Armoured cars are as good as light tanks against infantry but will not hold up against other armour.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dave74 -- 11/7/2007 10:11:53 AM >

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI