Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Best fighter in WW2??? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 7:10:48 PM   
Rainer

You have my full support. Seriously.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 241
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 7:16:07 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It hasn't. I was a victim myself a couple of months ago. But that doesn't excuse improper and inflamatory phrases that have nothing to do with the argument. All I ask is keep it a clean fight. Try and keep it on topic. And watch your @##$%^ language.

Exactly! That's why I'm staying out of this one. Besides, everyone already knows that the Zero was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Probably the smartest thing you can do. I know this thread has already appeared over at Madcowsteakhouse. And I for one don't appreciate it. That comment will no doubt earn me a few snide comments casting aspersions on my parentage or sexuality. But WE don't have to be inflamatory or act like residents in the monkey cage flinging monkey poo at passers bye.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 242
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 7:23:21 PM   
mlees

I am sorta curious about the comparison of the stats at very high altitude. (That is, 28,000+)

How long do combats remain at those altitudes?

It was my understanding that units engaged in air to air fighting tended to lose altitude quickly.

I remember reading Boyingtons book, and he occasionally makes comments about this or that aircraft (or himself) escaping at wave top level. I assume most of these combats started out a tad bit higher... 

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 243
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 7:30:24 PM   
ChezDaJez

Generally speaking the longer the dogfight lasts, the lower it gets. This is because planes lose speed once they start to maneuver so they dive to regain. Sometimes the action, if viewed in profile, would look like a staircase.

However, that would depend on the target too. If your after high altitude bombers, you need to get up there and stay awhile.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 244
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 8:20:32 PM   
AW1Steve

Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics".     I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 245
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 8:38:09 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics". I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need.

Would this qualify as a dogfight though? More like hit and run... such as the AVG used after being warned "Never dogfight".

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 246
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 8:55:24 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics". I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need.

Would this qualify as a dogfight though? More like hit and run... such as the AVG used after being warned "Never dogfight".

I'd call it the best kind of dogfight. Short. Sweet. Survived.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 247
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 9:05:37 PM   
Big B

quote:

This is a matter of semantics - but a a better climbing plane like a zero or spitfire generally wouldn't zoom-climb as well as a P-40...because they are lighter (and hence better climbers).

Zoom-climb is using the speed and inertia picked up in a dive and turned into a powerful quick climb pulling out of the dive...it lasts until gravity takes over again. Heavier aircraft that build up speed in a dive get a sort of natural "inertia bonus" until it's all spent and normal physics take over again.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 248
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 9:10:26 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

It hasn't. I was a victim myself a couple of months ago. But that doesn't excuse improper and inflamatory phrases that have nothing to do with the argument. All I ask is keep it a clean fight. Try and keep it on topic. And watch your @##$%^ language.

Exactly! That's why I'm staying out of this one. Besides, everyone already knows that the Zero was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Which is a false claim. The Zero is far superior to sliced bread.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 249
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 9:14:34 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

quote:

This is a matter of semantics - but a a better climbing plane like a zero or spitfire generally wouldn't zoom-climb as well as a P-40...because they are lighter (and hence better climbers).

Zoom-climb is using the speed and inertia picked up in a dive and turned into a powerful quick climb pulling out of the dive...it lasts until gravity takes over again. Heavier aircraft that build up speed in a dive get a sort of natural "inertia bonus" until it's all spent and normal physics take over again.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 250
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 9:15:45 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

Which is a false claim. The Zero is far superior to sliced bread.

I agree....I'd much rather dogfight in a zero than in sliced bread...

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 251
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 9:30:53 PM   
Rainer

Sliced Bread climbs much better than a Zero. I did a comprehensive test with my toaster (650 W, Win 98, SP32), and there was no comparison. While 9 our of 7 slices of - unprepared - bread climbed between 2 and 15 inches in total - which comes down to appr. 0.182635543655 centimeters per second, the Zero refused to even leave the toaster. Please note that these are Central European Seconds as defined by Law (Eur.Comm. 123456/54321 Bruxelles, Nov 3, 1782).
Initially the Zero I used for testing did not even fit into the toaster. I therefor prepared the Zero by ways of "cratering". It still refused to climb! Instead, after setting the toaster to operational state, the Zero simply melted down!
Careful examination reveiled that this particular Zero was made of a substance called "plastic" (or something similar). But that is neither explonation nor excuse because this Zero was manufactured by a Japanese company with a high reputation of making first class Zeros.
Conclusion: to claim Zeros climb better than Sliced Bread (whatever the year of production) is a false claim and has to be refused by all people considering themselves to be part of the civilized and tax paying world.

PS: Some may argue that Zeros scaled differently (this one was 1:72) may be able to achieve different and even better results. I doubt that and I am determined to stay with the facts observed. I also recommend strongly to include Toaster Test Environment Results (TTER) in all upcoming discussions.

Post #: 252
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 10:05:12 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made of materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:

In a tentative test, this model behaved exactly like a real Zero - it did in fact outclimb the sliced bread, but nonetheless ended like so many of its larger brothers - as a flamer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 12/3/2007 10:12:15 PM >

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 253
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 10:11:27 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made from materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:

In a tentative test, this model behaved exactly like a real Zero - it did in fact outclimb the sliced bread, but nonetheless ended like so many of its larger brothers - as a flamer.

Ahh, I notice you have the Morison collection gracing your shelves. I have the same collection.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 254
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 10:21:52 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made from materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:

Ahh, I notice you have the Morison collection gracing your shelves. I have the same collection.

And I as well. It's dated , but still the best all around reference.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 255
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 10:23:21 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made of materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:

I stand corrected. The sliced bread does climb faster. And burn better. The Zero shown would probably melt before burning.

Post #: 256
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 10:24:17 PM   
Rainer

You are using GLIDERS! Doesn't count. Dismissed.

Post #: 257
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 10:36:57 PM   
Rainer

There is also a One Volume Book by Morison called "The Two-Ocean War". For those who can or will not afford to buy the whole thing (12 Volumes?) this may be an alternative.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 258
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 11:05:19 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer

Sliced Bread climbs much better than a Zero. I did a comprehensive test with my toaster (650 W, Win 98, SP32), and there was no comparison. While 9 our of 7 slices of - unprepared - bread climbed between 2 and 15 inches in total - which comes down to appr. 0.182635543655 centimeters per second, the Zero refused to even leave the toaster. Please note that these are Central European Seconds as defined by Law (Eur.Comm. 123456/54321 Bruxelles, Nov 3, 1782).
Initially the Zero I used for testing did not even fit into the toaster. I therefor prepared the Zero by ways of "cratering". It still refused to climb! Instead, after setting the toaster to operational state, the Zero simply melted down!
Careful examination reveiled that this particular Zero was made of a substance called "plastic" (or something similar). But that is neither explonation nor excuse because this Zero was manufactured by a Japanese company with a high reputation of making first class Zeros.
Conclusion: to claim Zeros climb better than Sliced Bread (whatever the year of production) is a false claim and has to be refused by all people considering themselves to be part of the civilized and tax paying world.

PS: Some may argue that Zeros scaled differently (this one was 1:72) may be able to achieve different and even better results. I doubt that and I am determined to stay with the facts observed. I also recommend strongly to include Toaster Test Environment Results (TTER) in all upcoming discussions.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 259
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 11:33:23 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

quote:

Like it, disagree, or not, it's a purely objective fact.

It is also a selectively chosen fact. The 229 doesn't even make it remotely to the list, nor does the Finnish AF come off looking particularly good, because the Finnish AF got clobbered when the Soviet Union stopped fielding the worst aircraft flown in WW2 and started putting trained pilots in them.

The Finnish AF never went up against anyone's "A- Team" until 1943, right about the time they started looking for an "exit strategy."

What do you mean FAF got "clobbered" ? You might want to check your facts bit more.

Lets start:

1939-1940 Winter War

145 combat aircraft against the enemy's 1500-2000 planes.
241 air victories; main fighter Fokker D.XXI,
kill ratio 16:1

1941-1944 Continuation War

40 combat aircraft at the beginning, about 500 at the end of the war
1567 air victories Main fighters: Brewster B-39, kill ratio 32:1 and
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G, kill ratio 25:1.

FAF did not fare too badly with Bf 109 G2/G6 either...25:1 in 1943-44 is very very good. And first 109s came to Finland in 1943 when Soviets already had decent planes.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/3/2007 11:37:01 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 260
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 11:35:33 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

You are using GLIDERS! Doesn't count. Dismissed.

What do you call a zero without a working engine? A glider!

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 261
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/3/2007 11:47:12 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
It was indeed one of the best and one of my favorites. However, the short range and high pilot skill required to master the 109 made it obsolete in terms of a modern total war.

Best fighter means so many things and there are so many criteria quoted from the posters here. However, as I said before, any plane that did not have moderate to long range must be disqualifed. The 109 and many other fine planes listed here did not have the capability to project air power into enemy territory. You can't win a war without this ability. It is like having a football team that only plays defence. Sooner of later, you will get scored on and lose the game.

Another point that bears mentioning in this thread is that the human factor must be a consideration when picking the "best fighter". In a total war sitation such as WWII, equipment that favored the "average" user is always superior. The reason being that a long grinding war tends to produce much more average manpower talent than skilled. Death and attrition tends to use men up, leaving a greener pool of replacements. The 109 for all of it's excellence was regarded as a tough plane to master and a deadly tool in the hands of an expert pilot. However, the 190 was generally considered a much more suitable plane because it was easier to fly and thus more forgiving to the average pilot. And for every good pilot, there had to be at least ten times that number of average or below average pilots.

A "hot" plane is not necessarily the best plane. My two cents anyway.

With that line of reasoning, a Sherman would be a better tank than a Panther. I reject the line of reasoning that requires strategic, operational or other irrelevant considerations. The question was "best fighter", you are more in the "most useful fighter"-territory with your line of reasoning. And while that is all and well from an overall strategic point of view, the purpose of this thread is to determine which fighter is the best.

Nedless to say, that question must center on the ability of the plane, not the quality of the pilot, not the ability to produce it, not the amount of fuel it could be tanked with.

The analogy would be that we are comparing swords here, you are talking about how it is best not to be surrounded or outnumbered or starving while using that sword. An interesting discussion for sure, but irrelevant to the question.

Please explain to me how you got your "purpose of this thread" from the orginial post. Perhaps you got a secret email from the poster?

Well, we just have to disagree here. No definition of "best" was really given at the beginning of this thread. The definition you stated is yours alone. In my opinion "best" is defined as what serves the purpose of winning the conflict. In the end, all else does not matter.

And yes, the sherman tank was better than the panther. But then again, we are looking at it differently and I don't think we are going to find common ground here.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 12/3/2007 11:48:52 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 262
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 12:02:32 AM   
niceguy2005

Sliced bread after an unfortunate encounter with an A6M2....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 263
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 12:24:43 AM   
Rainer

Tallyhoo! Scratch one toast!

< Message edited by Rainer -- 12/4/2007 12:26:36 AM >

Post #: 264
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 12:31:32 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

It is also a selectively chosen fact. The 229 doesn't even make it remotely to the list, nor does the Finnish AF come off looking particularly good, because the Finnish AF got clobbered when the Soviet Union stopped fielding the worst aircraft flown in WW2 and started putting trained pilots in them.

The Finnish AF never went up against anyone's "A- Team" until 1943, right about the time they started looking for an "exit strategy."

What do you mean FAF got "clobbered" ? You might want to check your facts bit more.

Lets start:

1939-1940 Winter War

FAF did not fare too badly with Bf 109 G2/G6 either...25:1 in 1943-44 is very very good. And first 109s came to Finland in 1943 when Soviets already had decent planes.

Don't bother arguing with diehl... If your facts don't agree with his made-up "facts" then they're just not going to register for him...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 265
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 12:41:23 AM   
Big B

Inconceivable!

quote:

quote:

Chez

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 266
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 2:24:39 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

Lets start:

1939-1940 Winter War

Don't bother arguing with diehl... If your facts don't agree with his made-up "facts" then they're just not going to register for him...

And if you do get the better of him , he will serously bad mouth you at madcow.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 267
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 2:25:45 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Inconceivable!

quote:

quote:

Chez

Hey someone else who posts his quotes from the top. Don't let Bobo catch you.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 268
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 3:20:40 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

Ooooo! Now there's a fate worse than death.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 269
RE: Best fighter in WW2??? - 12/4/2007 4:24:59 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

Ooooo! Now there's a fate worse than death.

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Best fighter in WW2??? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI