Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/11/2007 11:00:20 AM   
Terminus

Thank you all. I think we can draw a line under that discussion, in this thread at least.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 12/11/2007 11:24:28 AM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 361
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/11/2007 1:43:22 PM   
spence

Somewhere in here I think I saw mention of sectors for AA fire in so far as TF defense is concerned. Has this been manipulated in some fashion to account for the different tactical formations used by the Japanese and Allies (particularly in the 1942 time frame): to whit, the tremendous dispersion of a Japanese TF under air attack (up to 30 km) which essentially put screening ships out of effective AAA range of the CVs (but allowed the CVs to manuever radically when under attack) versus the close in (1500-2000 yard) ring formation of the Allies which constrained manuever by the CV somewhat but allowed the screen to concentrate its AAA against aircraft attacking the CV?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 362
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/11/2007 2:13:13 PM   
Terminus

All the flak stuff is really Air Team business.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 363
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/11/2007 7:46:05 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Actually the "old" flak team (circa 6 months back) was Treespider, Nik and Joe. The "new" flak team, is Joe, Nik and MichaelM. But these flak teams are/were only addressing flak fired from land. We can take it off line, but we should prolly figure out who owns flak fired by ships.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 364
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/11/2007 9:32:15 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Actually the "old" flak team (circa 6 months back) was Treespider, Nik and Joe. The "new" flak team, is Joe, Nik and MichaelM. But these flak teams are/were only addressing flak fired from land. We can take it off line, but we should prolly figure out who owns flak fired by ships.

Naval flak is point defense--integrate the phit from maximum range to bomb or torpedo release to determine whether the attack aborts, and then integrate again for the flight out, too. Some weapon systems were revenge-only, like 20mm AA.

Land AA is both point defense as above and area defense, with each aircraft taking its chances while in range--I don't care about the bullet with my name on it; what worries me is the bullet addressed "To Whom It May Concern."

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 365
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/11/2007 10:35:37 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin
Some weapon systems were revenge-only, like 20mm AA.

Not just "revenge". Intimidation is also important. Nothing like seeing a few hundred "golden BB's" headed in your direction to shake up your confidence..., and your aim.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 366
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 1:27:20 PM   
Brausepaul

This might have been answered before, but the search didn't gave any hits on this: will AE feature sub vs. sub action?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 367
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 2:10:54 PM   
Terminus

That's still being worked on.

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 368
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 3:43:07 PM   
Rainerle

Hi,
can I give speed for night movement and different speed for day movement? Will I be able to give any hex as return to hex after the assigned mission (i.e. like sprinting from a bombardement)

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 369
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 4:01:36 PM   
Terminus

Speed settings are fixed for the whole turn, i.e. both night and day passes. I'm not sure what you mean with your second question.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 370
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 4:32:51 PM   
Panther Bait

I think what Rainerle was asking is can a Bombardment TF be given a non-base hex to move to after the bombardment, rather than moving towards it's home base (which might move it in an undesirable direction). Another way to ask might be: can a Bombardment TF be given a waypoint after the bombardment hex or does the bombardment hex have to be the "last" waypoint?

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 371
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 4:51:17 PM   
Brausepaul

quote:

Just to clarify: do you mean that it is currently being evaluated or that it is actually worked upon?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 372
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 5:50:41 PM   
Rainerle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I think what Rainerle was asking is can a Bombardment TF be given a non-base hex to move to after the bombardment, rather than moving towards it's home base (which might move it in an undesirable direction). Another way to ask might be: can a Bombardment TF be given a waypoint after the bombardment hex or does the bombardment hex have to be the "last" waypoint?

Yes exactly that, thanks Panther. In addition can I make a TF join/follow a TF after it has done its mission (bombardement/fast Transport/minelaying etc.)? Like making the 'home Port' a TF to follow (might be convenient for SCTF to run from th CV TF at night a few hexes and return at dawn).

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 373
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 5:51:12 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

quote:

Just to clarify: do you mean that it is currently being evaluated or that it is actually worked upon?

It's being worked on.

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 374
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 5:52:42 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

quote:

Yes exactly that, thanks Panther. In addition can I make a TF join/follow a TF after it has done its mission (bombardement/fast Transport/minelaying etc.)? Like making the 'home Port' a TF to follow (might be convenient for SCTF to run from th CV TF at night a few hexes and return at dawn).

The waypoints are always in between the TF's homeport and it's destination hex. No setting waypoints after that.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 375
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 6:08:28 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

The waypoints are always in between the TF's homeport and it's destination hex. No setting waypoints after that.

Didn't you (or someone else) say that the TF can follow the waypoints back to the homeport?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 376
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 6:24:13 PM   
Brady

Will ships spoted by Aircraft or other means triger,or help to, a mid ocean intercept, for surface action forces? If their set to react of course...

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 377
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 6:35:31 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

Didn't you (or someone else) say that the TF can follow the waypoints back to the homeport?

I doubt it.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 378
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 7:01:54 PM   
Mike Solli

I found it in the announcement.  Here's what I read:

Waypoints can also be used for automated convoys along with a “return same route” option, making setting up your supply routes easier than ever.

Guess it's just for automated convoys.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 379
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 7:13:11 PM   
Terminus

It applies to CS-convoys, seeing as how ships assigned to the Auto-Convoy System set up their own routes.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 380
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/12/2007 7:17:35 PM   
VSWG

What about the surface combat routine? Is the "Tom Hunter effect" (many ships remaining passive until being fired upon) still in the game? Do ships still dread to pair up with smaller ships? Any changes?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 381
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 12:10:49 AM   
Bobthehatchit

This looks ace!

Creditcard is ready and waiting.

One Question though....

RN carrier airgroups..... are these going to be fized?

Will they resize like the USN groups?

Prity please!

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 382
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 1:30:16 AM   
Brady

Picket's?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Bobthehatchit)
Post #: 383
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 1:34:19 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Picket's?

Yup.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 384
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 1:39:55 AM   
Brady

Scaned these from one of the books I got from Japan recently:

Prety much every Aux. is depected in this volume, including the Army types in great detail:

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 385
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 2:30:19 AM   
spence

Beginning to get a little hazy what I've read and where but I think I recall something about assault landing craft being modelled in AE. The Landing Boat, Tank pictured above doesn't seem like a specialized assault craft in the same vein of an LCT/LST. Unloading tanks over the side with a derrick seems more like the kind of thing one does at dock rather than on an assault beach.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 386
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 2:49:46 AM   
Fishbed

Terminus, sorry to disturb you with another japanese shipping issue, but Im told by my fellow French WITPers on some other forum that we can't load troops aboard the Japanese CS (Chitose, Chiyoda, Nisshin, or even the short-lived Mizuho). Myself I usually play the US (and I don't have WitP on my computer right here) so I can't say if it is true or not. But well they ask, as so I am, if indeed these CS can't carry troops nor supplies right now, if anything is planned to allow them to do so in AE? We all know how important they could be for successful high-speed slot rides, something they were somewhat good at (as long as they didn't meet some plane on the way like the ill-fated Nisshin...).

Thanks in advance :)

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 387
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 2:51:31 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

Beginning to get a little hazy what I've read and where but I think I recall something about assault landing craft being modelled in AE. The Landing Boat, Tank pictured above doesn't seem like a specialized assault craft in the same vein of an LCT/LST. Unloading tanks over the side with a derrick seems more like the kind of thing one does at dock rather than on an assault beach.

Well as far as I can see on the drawing, there seem to be a bow door to allow quick landing of vehicules, but I could be mistaken...

At least in Chinese (thanks to the Kanjis ) the first two characters in the description would read like "forward door"

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 388
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 3:00:06 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

Terminus, sorry to disturb you with another japanese shipping issue, but Im told by my fellow French WITPers on some other forum that we can't load troops aboard the Japanese CS (Chitose, Chiyoda, Nisshin, or even the short-lived Mizuho). Myself I usually play the US (and I don't have WitP on my computer right here) so I can't say if it is true or not. But well they ask, as so I am, if indeed these CS can't carry troops nor supplies right now, if anything is planned to allow them to do so in AE? We all know how important they could be for successful high-speed slot rides, something they were somewhat good at (as long as they didn't meet some plane on the way like the ill-fated Nisshin...).

Thanks in advance :)

Not sure. I'll go look it up.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 389
RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread - 12/13/2007 3:09:36 AM   
ctangus

I think these questions belong here. I can move the first two to the air thread if appropriate. Maybe they can't all be answered yet, either, but they're pet peeves of mine...

1. The availability date of the F6F in stock seems to be a rough compromise between the F6F-3 & F6F-5. (In game terms the F6F-3 should probably arrive in Mar '43.) Are these two models now separate? Does Essex arrive equipped with F6F-3s?

2. On the other hand the Royal Navy seems to get Corsairs much earlier than they should. I've seen contradictory references on when the FAA equipped with them. (Jun - Nov '43). Looking through the squadron histories here: http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Squadrons/Index.html, I didn't notice any squadrons equipped with Corsairs in the IO or Pacific prior to October '44.

I guess my question is: is this being looked at? And are the Corsair I/II and III/IV modeled separately?

3. Any AFB knows that early-war the most effective US subs are the S-boats. Yet IRL the S-boats had a ton of mechanical problems, particularly those of the Asiatic fleet. And they didn't have a spectacular record. Is anything being done to model this? As a quick fix I personally think it would be worthwhile to give all the Asiatic Fleet S-boats 11 sys damage at the start of the war.

These are all probably trivial, but like I said they're pet peeves of mine so I decided to speak up when I had a chance.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI