Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 3:49:20 AM   
spence

quote:

For the USAAF are the P40F and P40K both in?

I believe all the F model P40s ended up in Europe/the Med. All of the E's ended up either in the Pacific or as Kittyhawk Is which in many if not most cases was in the Pacific.

(in reply to langley)
Post #: 331
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 8:02:04 AM   
pad152

Blimps

What are they really good for?

What will they do in the game?

Does Japan get them?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 332
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 8:45:44 AM   
bradfordkay

I like the decreased a/c availability mentioned, but this does bring up one question: Mogami was adamant about the influence that having high numbers of unit fragments scattered across the map had on the leader bug. It seems to me that we will have more unit fragments if the squadrons take forever to repair damaged a/c. Has that influence on the leader bug been tamed (like, probably, a long time ago and I just overlooked that part of the announcements?)??

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 333
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 10:57:56 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: langley

Another Thing while I think of it will aircraft have a start Production date and an end production date in the database!

Cheers

MJT

Yes.

Timtom can expand on this answer.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to langley)
Post #: 334
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 11:01:20 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

For the USAAF are the P40F and P40K both in?

I believe all the F model P40s ended up in Europe/the Med. All of the E's ended up either in the Pacific or as Kittyhawk Is which in many if not most cases was in the Pacific.

No F's. K's are in.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 335
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 11:05:03 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norm3

One more question and I'll leave you to important stuff. Will there be a Dumbo mission type or a better chance to retrieve/rescue pilots, perhaps as the war goes on?

I lied 2nd question popped into my head. When pilots are MIA or WIA is there a set time for them to come back (WIA) or when they are declared KIA or return from being missed?

Really sorry now I have a 3rd question. So we can individually select a pilot and send them back to train others or is it just leaders of the unit?

Thanks

No.

Yes.

Yes.

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 336
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 12:40:24 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

"TheElf" can you please check this out regarding new and upcoming WitP AE:

I don't think this was asked before regarding upcoming WitP-AE...

Is there any modification to airbase overstacking rule?

Are there any modifications that differ 1-engine planes from 2-engine and 4-engine aircraft (all regarding stacking rules of airbases)?

Thanks in advance!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 337
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 1:25:30 PM   
el cid again

Since there are blimps - and ultra long range recon aircraft - can aircraft stay in the air longer than 24 hours? 48 would be enough to cover all cases - or near enough to live with.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 338
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 4:05:58 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Blenheim MkV
A few of the unarmed Beauforts that were in Singers at the start of the Pacific war and were used for recce missions
Some of the modified Buffaloes that were used for similar missions IIRC
Thunderbolt MkI & MkII
Liberator GRV etc for proper anti-sub missions
Ansons
Hurricane IIb
Hurricane IIc
Hurricane TRII
Hurricane IV
Spitfire PRIV
PR Mitchells
Beaufighter MkIc
Beaufighter MkX (I don't think the RAF used them for lugging torps around in SE Asia)
Beaufort transports as used by the RAAF

One for the JFBs out there: How about the ability to employ a limited number of prototype a/c before their general introduction (a la the Tojo in China), may be beyond the limits of what is poissible though...
A proper RAF Tiger Force
Maybe sticking 8 Sqn under a restricted command to stop the Allied player moving them from Aden where they spent most of the war carrying out ASW.
Royal Navy MONABs and shore based squadrons

Yes on most of these.

quote:

Another Thing while I think of it will aircraft have a start Production date and an end production date in the database!

Yes, except on-board production is SAIEW

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

What are they really good for?

[patrolling sealanes a loooong way away from the action]

What will they do in the game?

[see above]

Does Japan get them?

[AFAIK, only the USN has blimps in operational units]

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again
Since there are blimps - and ultra long range recon aircraft - can aircraft stay in the air longer than 24 hours? 48 would be enough to cover all cases - or near enough to live with.

Sadly no. The basic turn structure remains the same, so we have to accept some abstraction on this point.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 339
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 5:23:39 PM   
NormS3

A follow up on my 2nd question, where can I find out how long it usually takes or % chance of either happening?

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 340
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 6:08:45 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norm3

Is there a cap on total number of pilots as in WITP?  I think it was 20,000 initially and one upgrade improved that to 30,000.  Just wondering because if so many new air units are being added, won't that affect the cap on pilots?

Some new units are in, some old ones are out. With withdrawal, overall unit availability/month will drop.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 341
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/13/2007 7:04:07 PM   
Brady

Blimp's, so the Large fixed Blimp bases like Tillamook, are they in game?

Link for Tillamook NAS: http://www.nastillamook.org/

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 342
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/14/2007 6:00:01 AM   
jcjordan

Will the different countries have the correct ranks for pilot pools ie RN will have either RM or naval ranks for air units instead of RAF & Can will use RAF rankings instead of what looked to be US ranks? Will some of the lower RAF ranks now be available like Flt Sgt? Will the Brit/CW naval air units have their own pools separate from land units?

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 343
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/14/2007 6:12:28 AM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Blimp's, so the Large fixed Blimp bases like Tillamook, are they in game?

That's the sort.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Will the different countries have the correct ranks for pilot pools ie RN will have either RM or naval ranks for air units instead of RAF & Can will use RAF rankings instead of what looked to be US ranks? Will some of the lower RAF ranks now be available like Flt Sgt? Will the Brit/CW naval air units have their own pools separate from land units?

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

Please direct questions pertaining the OOB of carrier- and other shipbased aviation to the Navy Team. I won't repeat this. For at least the next 24 hours.

What took you so long! :D

Michael and I conspired to sneak in F/Sgt's. Nobody tell the Elf.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 344
Aircraft Fragments - 12/14/2007 9:59:49 PM   
siRkid

Will we be able to destroy aircraft fragments? Something like what was done for the LCUs? Sometimes a fragment from a carrier group will make it to a land base after its carrier is sunk. These units cannot combine with any other unit and they never grow. I would like to be able to destroy them. Also, sometimes you evac a base and have to leave behind some damaged aircraft. These aircraft never repair and the parent Sq can never reach its full strength. These fragments sit there until the enemy takes that base. I can think of other reasons I would want to destroy fragments but this it too long already.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 345
RE: Single ship TF - 12/15/2007 4:22:55 AM   
ny59giants

Will bombers of various types go after single ship TF's??
I have a House Rule that after 1/1/42 that there needs to be 2 ships per TF as many single ships are ignored by LBA currently.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 346
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/15/2007 10:16:31 AM   
fabertong

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf
OTS. Kamikazes have not been touched. Read some AAR's later in the war, they work. One thing we did that may help is alter AAA so that during attacks only AAA in the quadrant being approached may fire.

As a late war Japanese player.....I'm not sure Kamikazis do work......the only way to get through the cap is to fly them higher than the Allied aircraft can fly(gamey, yes I know).........but you can't fly over Corairs/Mustangs.......so the Allies can cover an Invasion force with LRCAP from land bases no hits will be achieved....this has happened again and again in my game with Speedy........what we need is to be able to fly Kami's at normal alt.....with some chance of getting through to at least have a run on the shipping..........

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 347
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/15/2007 11:35:49 AM   
Speedysteve

Agree 100% with Faber. We're upto 2/45 and as Faber says with the CAP model as is there is no way to get through 100's of Hellcats/Corsairs = must use Zeke/George's ABOVE the max altitude of Hellcat/Corsair = Allies reponse is to LRCAP with Lightning/Mustang.

For example on 30th January 1945 61 x Kamikazi were shot down by 34 x Lightning/Mustang and not 1 got through the CAP.

If you would like more info/details on this stuff just ask.

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 348
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/15/2007 11:54:37 AM   
Sonny II

They also attack bases - with no effect.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 349
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 12:36:28 PM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

Will we be able to destroy aircraft fragments? Something like what was done for the LCUs? Sometimes a fragment from a carrier group will make it to a land base after its carrier is sunk. These units cannot combine with any other unit and they never grow. I would like to be able to destroy them. Also, sometimes you evac a base and have to leave behind some damaged aircraft. These aircraft never repair and the parent Sq can never reach its full strength. These fragments sit there until the enemy takes that base. I can think of other reasons I would want to destroy fragments but this it too long already.

It's even worse when the parent upgrades and the fragment doesn't (when it's too far away from base...)

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 350
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/15/2007 1:00:27 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: fabertong

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf
OTS. Kamikazes have not been touched. Read some AAR's later in the war, they work. One thing we did that may help is alter AAA so that during attacks only AAA in the quadrant being approached may fire.

As a late war Japanese player.....I'm not sure Kamikazis do work......the only way to get through the cap is to fly them higher than the Allied aircraft can fly(gamey, yes I know).........but you can't fly over Corairs/Mustangs.......so the Allies can cover an Invasion force with LRCAP from land bases no hits will be achieved....this has happened again and again in my game with Speedy........what we need is to be able to fly Kami's at normal alt.....with some chance of getting through to at least have a run on the shipping..........

CAP has been significantly altered from what you are likely playing with. This has not been tested yet.

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 351
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 2:15:51 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

It's even worse when the parent upgrades and the fragment doesn't (when it's too far away from base...)

You know what I don't get? I've been asking for this since the Alfa testing of WitP and for some reason it appears impossible to do.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 352
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 2:35:39 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

You know what I don't get? I've been asking for this since the Alfa testing of WitP and for some reason it appears impossible to do.

And for this I will wager you can thank 2by3 and it's silly "hardcoding" of so much of the game... Short of a total re-write of the code, some things are just going to remain "unfixable".

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 353
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 6:05:50 PM   
Brady

Baloon Bomb's: The only thing these devices managed to do was tie down a number of Fighter squadrons in the US for a perioud of time, is this acounted for in game?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 354
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 6:11:59 PM   
TR Shrum

Elf,

For those of us who like modding, will more slots be provided for CV capable aircraft?  Thus allowing for a further division of AC models and "never where" AC.  F5U, F5F, FH1, FH2, AD1, etc., etc.

Thanks

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 355
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 6:30:42 PM   
Captain Cruft

CV capable is not determined by slot anymore, it is a flag in the database. So you can apply it to as many aircraft as you like.

(in reply to TR Shrum)
Post #: 356
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 6:38:48 PM   
Dixie

Is there still the block on British and Dutch units upgrading before 5/42 for the Brits and whenever the Dutch upgrade?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 357
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 7:36:38 PM   
langley

Will 25 Squadron RAAF start the war with the Buffalo mk I?

MJT

"My God, I hope you don't blame me for this. I had no idea where you were."
Air Vice-marshal Pulford upon the loss of "Force Z"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 358
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 9:28:52 PM   
timtom

quote:

Will 25 Squadron RAAF start the war with the Buffalo mk I?

MJT

They will get the benefit of the diverted ML-KNIL B-449D's later on.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by timtom -- 12/15/2007 9:30:22 PM >

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to langley)
Post #: 359
RE: Aircraft Fragments - 12/15/2007 9:33:35 PM   
Brady

I gues when they say go to the "source" thats what they mean

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI