Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/3/2009 6:44:16 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

I love the paint schemes on the pre-war jobs. The neutrality patrol star. The yellow wings and all that bare metal. Fate smiled on people who make plastic models when testors invented buffable metallic lacquer.

I feel the same way....(Note the magnificent and beautiful Douglas beast)....

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 1261
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/3/2009 7:43:24 PM   
mdiehl

It *is* a beauty. If you modeled it though, you need what 1:144 scale?

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 1262
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/3/2009 8:06:13 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cathartes

quote:

Some of the Catalina flying boats had wheels, earlier ones did not..Has the game been able to make a differentiation now?(In vanilla you could not base any of them in an interior strip.)

Happily, yes.

Thank you, Cathartes!..This is all great and welcome news.

Heck yes !!!!!!!!!!

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 1263
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/3/2009 8:59:04 PM   
mdiehl

Yeah, the PBY5As were amhibious. The PBY5s were, errrm, don't know the right word, "aquatic" or something. No *retractable* wheels. However, IIRC, Consolidated (or a subcontractor) made a detachable frame with wheels, sort of like a boat trailer, that the PBY could run onto in shallow water, and then be towed from the water.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1264
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/3/2009 11:04:52 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

Yeah, the PBY5As were amhibious. The PBY5s were, errrm, don't know the right word, "aquatic" or something. No *retractable* wheels. However, IIRC, Consolidated (or a subcontractor) made a detachable frame with wheels, sort of like a boat trailer, that the PBY could run onto in shallow water, and then be towed from the water.

IIRC they called that thing a "trolley"??

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 1265
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/7/2009 8:57:59 AM   
ny59giants

Sasebo has a static BF (aviation support 180) and I have over 150 transport planes there. I want to transport in the Home Island HQ from Hiroshima to increase supply draw to repair damaged aircraft factories. Hiroshima has only a BF with 30 aviation support.  Since there is only a static LCU at Sasebo, my mission choice is only supply. I cannot select troop transport and then switch over pick up troops. Has this been changed??

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 1266
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/8/2009 4:30:12 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Night flying skill
I notice there is a lot more pilot skills - good

BUT is there a skill of night flying , in stock WITP night fighters are no real danger and many bombers that get used at night I do not think would have been so capable .

Can someone advise what is the position of night flying in AE

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1267
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/8/2009 7:50:12 PM   
Dili

Apparently there is no night flying skill which is specially bad for simulating night attacks and bombing that were specially trained for that. Instead since night fighting performance is probably connected to a plane classification as night fighter plus pilot ability the issue is not so grave unless it really maters to us what a pilot does.

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 1268
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/8/2009 8:01:17 PM   
Cavalry Corp

OH

Well as far as I can see night flying has never been a popular topic at anytime

BUT I really hate to see all those B17 doing what the Lancasters did .

Cav

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 1269
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/11/2009 1:47:52 AM   
jcjordan

Not sure if this has been asked or not but in reading the manual excerpts Erik put up, on air units that withdraw, if you chose to have that setting, on the pilots do they disappear from the game as well or do they go into the pilot pool & do the aces if any disappear from the top pilots list as well due to the unit withdrawing?

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 1270
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/11/2009 3:35:52 AM   
tigercub

Does shooting down a plane give the pilot a increase in Experience? how does it work? in short?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 1271
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/11/2009 7:00:13 PM   
hbrsvl

Hi-Hope I'm in the right pew for my question.

AE goes to 40 mile hexes instead of 60 for WITP. Are aircraft ranges adjusted to the new scale?

Example: In WITP a C-47 has a max transfer range of 24 hexes. 60x24=1440 miles. So, 1440/40=36 hexes. Is this the way AE is going to work?

Thanks, Hugh Browne

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 1272
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/12/2009 12:00:46 AM   
tigercub

They would be an uproar if they were not changed Hbrsvl.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 1273
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/12/2009 12:07:07 AM   
jwilkerson

AE uses 40nm hexes - so internally all hex distances are adjusted to this scale. Sometimes - like for land unit distances - you will see "unit has 46 miles to go" on the LCU screen - these miles are statute miles

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 1274
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/17/2009 3:47:33 PM   
Dili

Are 3 and 6 engine planes defined in AE or it is only 1,2,4 engines?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 1275
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/17/2009 5:01:16 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Not sure if this has been asked or not but in reading the manual excerpts Erik put up, on air units that withdraw, if you chose to have that setting, on the pilots do they disappear from the game as well or do they go into the pilot pool & do the aces if any disappear from the top pilots list as well due to the unit withdrawing?

Depends. Units which transfer out-of-theatre or similar take their a/c and pilots with them. Otherwise unit assets are returned to pool with a slight delay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

Does shooting down a plane give the pilot a increase in Experience? how does it work? in short?

'Course. Same as in WitP.

quote:

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

AE goes to 40 mile hexes instead of 60 for WITP. Are aircraft ranges adjusted to the new scale?

Example: In WITP a C-47 has a max transfer range of 24 hexes. 60x24=1440 miles. So, 1440/40=36 hexes. Is this the way AE is going to work?

Thanks, Hugh Browne

Aircraft range data have been rebuild from the ground up, then comprehensively revieved. Twice. On top of normal tester imput. We didn't fail to notice the change in map scale during this process.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Engines are defined like any other device, so you can stick 0-255 engines on an a/c.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 1276
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/17/2009 5:34:51 PM   
Chad Harrison

This was posted in a separate thread, and I know that its easier for the dev team when it is in here, so I will repost it in here:

quote:

Thanks for the reply Elf. I just finished Fire in the Sky, based on all of your recommendations, and it was a great read! Of the many things that I heard about for the first time was the almost universal lack of proper maintenance, spare parts, skiller laborer's, ect. for the Japanease in the South Pacific. The author did not have nice things to say about the Japanease soldiers back at the airfields, among many other inadequacies. What I found especially interesting was how many planes were lost flying from Japan to the front lines.

Questions:

1. Was his assesment of the inability to properly service Japanease aircraft accurate?
2. If so, will AE represent this in some way? Is this represented by the service rating?
3. Does the airbase experience affect this in any way?

Obviously this can be modded (I assume), but I am curious how the stock AE campaign will handle it; if at all.

Thanks in advance!

Chad

I think that this may dance the line between realism and playability as I dont know how much fun it would be for a Japanease player if this was accurately represented ingame. Again, I am just curious if/how it will be reflected in game. Or, is it the same across the board? (ie. radial of any nation is service rating A, inline of any nation is B, each additional engine adds a rating of C)

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

Chad

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1277
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/19/2009 12:43:55 AM   
jcjordan

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Depends. Units which transfer out-of-theatre or similar take their a/c and pilots with them. Otherwise unit assets are returned to pool with a slight delay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

'Course. Same as in WitP.

quote:

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

Thanks, Hugh Browne

Aircraft range data have been rebuild from the ground up, then comprehensively revieved. Twice. On top of normal tester imput. We didn't fail to notice the change in map scale during this process.

quote:

Engines are defined like any other device, so you can stick 0-255 engines on an a/c.

Ok thanks tt

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1278
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/19/2009 6:26:33 AM   
Dili

quote:

Thank, my question was more related to under the hood rules they can get: does a 3 engine or 6 engine plane gets a penalty in maneuverality? too big benefit in resistence to damage? things like that.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 1279
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/19/2009 11:16:50 AM   
timtom

quote:

quote:

Thank, my question was more related to under the hood rules they can get: does a 3 engine or 6 engine plane gets a penalty in maneuverality? too big benefit in resistence to damage? things like that.

Ah I see...impact on MNV & DUR. Welll, none of these things are hardcoded. MNV is a function of wing- and powerloading, so there isn't a simple answer to the first part of the question. Multi-engine a/c tend to have greater DUR, relatively.

Then again of the top of my head I can think of exactly one 3E a/c and no 6E's in AE :)

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 1280
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/19/2009 11:58:14 AM   
Dili

Thanks. Well it is for an eventual Mediterranean Mod.

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1281
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/27/2009 2:36:38 AM   
TheOx

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I tried searching the forum to no avail. Has the Betty long range torpedo carrying been changed at all? I remember someone saying it was ahistorical for Bettys to carry torps ou that far, but I don't know if that was true or not. So, whats been done to the Bettys? Anything? Nerfed? Ubered up? Give me a clue before I put a CV TF within 1000 nm of a big Jap base.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 1282
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/27/2009 9:45:59 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Some of the Catalina flying boats had wheels, earlier ones did not..Has the game been able to make a differentiation now?(In vanilla you could not base any of them in an interior strip.)

m10bob,

That sure looks like Adak. Is there a caption with the picture?

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 1283
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/27/2009 2:32:52 PM   
Zacktar

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheOx

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I tried searching the forum to no avail. Has the Betty long range torpedo carrying been changed at all? I remember someone saying it was ahistorical for Bettys to carry torps ou that far, but I don't know if that was true or not. So, whats been done to the Bettys? Anything? Nerfed? Ubered up? Give me a clue before I put a CV TF within 1000 nm of a big Jap base.

I could swear I've seen something on this, but I can't find it now. Searching up-thread a bit, I see that torpedoes themselves will be less numerous, so just finding them to load will limit things a bit. But I think there was some additional change to the use of torps on the Betty (and Nell).

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 1284
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/27/2009 2:45:35 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheOx

I think I saw it mentioned, that one would need Air HQ to be able to use torpedoes from base. I used seach function and found this from Andy vs AI thread:

Well I made a mistake and the 18th Div ended up at Malaya but it was savaged by Nells and Betties AI lost about 30 Nells and Betties hitting that convoy but it was worth it its a shattered wreck despite all my Buffs could do

AI did exactly that - you need an Air HQ in range to use torps but bombs do just as well.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 6/27/2009 2:51:55 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 1285
shared pools - 6/27/2009 7:51:04 PM   
ggm

I dont know if this has been asked before, but since each nation has its own  aircraft pool will there be shared pools for aircraft like pbys and c-47s. will modders be able to use shared pools for aircraft like p-40 , f4f , f6f f4u which flew for many different airforces at once. lastly will aircraft upgrade paths be easily moddable or limited like in witp ?

thanx in advance

ggm

Alas, poor Yorick!--I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it.
William Shakespeare Hamlet

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 1286
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/27/2009 8:18:06 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

m10bob,

That sure looks like Adak. Is there a caption with the picture?

Chez

Chez.....Now how many times need I remind you that you are the "Pro From Dover" when it comes to all things Naval Aviation, land based especially, for the USN?
I know it is in the Aleuts, but I don't recall the caption..
At any rate, you have "been there, done that"..

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 1287
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/28/2009 7:26:26 AM   
ChezDaJez

It is Adak .

Mt Moffett just off camera to the left, Bearing Hill in the foreground left. Lake Betty is just beyond Bearing Hill. That is where the PBYs were stationed. You can occasionally see the wingtip of a PBY at the bottom of Lake Betty. It sank during a sudden storm.

Just off camera to the right is the future site of the house I lived in. The hangar in the right background is about where the VP hangar currently stands. The drainage ditch in the foreground is still there though it doesn't look nowhere near as deep as the last time I tested it!

The Adak national Forest lies just in front of the steep hill on the right... all twenty misshapen fir trees!

I miss Adak, "The Birthplace of the Winds"!

Chez

< Message edited by ChezDaJez -- 6/28/2009 7:27:19 AM >

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 1288
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/28/2009 12:34:53 PM   
khyberbill

My father was on Adak and Attu during WW2 and I can assure you that he never missed those two places for a nano-second.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 1289
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 6/28/2009 1:10:09 PM   
spence

Speaking of the Aleutians and Air HQs etc; have the USN Fleet Air Wings been included in the OOB as an Air HQ? 4th FAW in Aleutians, 1st FAW in SOPAC, couple of others if I am not mistaken.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI