Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 2:12:43 AM   
XENXEN

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

Nęppe...

Attachment (1)

For all his bluster, it is the sad province of man that he cannot choose his triumph, he can only choose how he will stand when the call of destiny comes, hoping that he will have the courage to answer

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1351
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 2:32:49 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

I dont see any of the original Tainan group pilots in this scenario (Guadalcanal) or the others? Is there longer no historical pilots?

I happened to see in the reserve pilot list (I think that was what it's called) S. Sakai (Saburo possibly)? He had the highest experience rating. But it showed him in Tainan daitai. Not sure why that is though. I don't really understand that part of it yet.

There is a cross-link issue when groups are initially assigned pilots. They sometimes get 'borrowed' by another group.

The pilots aren't lost. They either end up in the wrong group or in the pilot reserve.
This is down to be corrected in the first patch.

Woohoo! Great to hear! Thanks for Michael and team for all of your hard work and making this the best game ever!!!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 7/29/2009 2:33:57 AM >

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 1352
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 10:02:07 AM   
Speedysteve

Hi all,

Is this working as designed? As in after a CV combat my squadrons had automatically fileld up with a bunch of pilots. In this case from 20 to 44.

Attachment (1)

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 1353
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 11:28:22 AM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: XENXEN

quote:

Nęppe...

"Nęppe" as in "No, not right" - not "Nęppe" as in "Not bl**dy likely, mate" :)

quote:

In the campaign, there are no B5N2 Kate factories. Is this correct?

There should be. AB will know.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to XENXEN)
Post #: 1354
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 12:04:37 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

No.100 Sqn RAF should have a withdrawal date in Feb 1942 when the squadron was folded into the remnants of 36 Sqn.

Caused me to rummage round for this little titbit:

Attachment (1)

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 1355
RE: Air issues - 7/29/2009 12:17:29 PM   
Barb

Aleutian Scenario. CVE Nassau - Det/VMO-155
There are 3 F4F-3P Wildcats. As their bombing armament is listed as CAMERA, I think they should be Recon type, But they are as standard Fighter Squadron.

Is there no way to have recon type planes carrier trained/capable or to have recon squadron aboard carrier? Or is it database error?

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1356
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 12:25:34 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

There is a size 0 factory in Hiroshima/Kure.

Andrew

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1357
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 12:46:04 PM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

No.100 Sqn RAF should have a withdrawal date in Feb 1942 when the squadron was folded into the remnants of 36 Sqn.

Caused me to rummage round for this little titbit:

Nice little find there I knew that there had been plans to equip them with Aussie Beauforts but the accounts usually don't mention why they didn't do so. Looks like someone should have told W/C Miller and S/L Kirby they were in the air force, not the fair force

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1358
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 12:59:32 PM   
timtom

quote:

Looks like someone should have told W/C Miller and S/L Kirby they were in the air force, not the fair force

In their defense, after all they'd been chased for several months by complete strangers trying to kill them.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 1359
RE: Air issues - 7/29/2009 1:11:42 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Aleutian Scenario. CVE Nassau - Det/VMO-155
There are 3 F4F-3P Wildcats. As their bombing armament is listed as CAMERA, I think they should be Recon type, But they are as standard Fighter Squadron.

Is there no way to have recon type planes carrier trained/capable or to have recon squadron aboard carrier? Or is it database error?

Any a/c equipped with the camera device should be able to fly the recon mission. This is the cheap&cheerful way of turning a fighter into a tac-rec type. There's a known issue with the camera device, so maybe that's what you're seeing.

I just hope ya'll remember that the aircraft file alone has 37,808 data fields to track

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 1360
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 1:28:20 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

There is a size 0 factory in Hiroshima/Kure.

Andrew

Ahh, thanks Andrew.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 1361
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 1:44:33 PM   
Mike Solli

I noticed that in the campaign, the 54th IF Chutai has 27 ready planes.  A bit high, you think?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1362
Air issues - 7/29/2009 1:47:19 PM   
Charbroiled

I found 2 minor glitches in the UI.

1. Go to the "All Land Based Planes" Screen
2. Isolate so that only fighters are showing (however, this glitch does happens with all types of air units)
3. Isolate so that only 1 country/branch is showing (i.e. Russia)
4. Use any of the buttons on the bottom (i.e. "Allow replacements for all units on this list")
5. Now show all of the other units/branches and you will notice that step 4 applied to ALL fighters, whether they were showing or not. This glitch does not cross over to different types of planes...meaning that if the fighters were the type isolated, then it would only effect fighters.

1. Go to any base with an air unit
2. open the screen for any specific air unit
3. Click on the button to show other air units under the same HQ
4. Hit the "back" button. This should take you back to the specific air unit screen....instead, it takes you to the "All Land Base Planes" screen

These are more of a UI issue then they are an air unit issue. However, I didn't know where else to post it.

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1363
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 2:04:12 PM   
Dili

quote:

Any a/c equipped with the camera device should be able to fly the recon mission. This is the cheap&cheerful way of turning a fighter into a tac-rec type. There's a known issue with the camera device, so maybe that's what you're seeing.

That is an excellent idea the camera device.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1364
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 2:24:40 PM   
timtom

quote:

I noticed that in the campaign, the 54th IF Chutai has 27 ready planes.  A bit high, you think?

Yes, very odd. The only reference of mine which has anything to say about the strength of the 54th Dokuritsu Hiko Chutai gives the number as 27 though. Sticks out like a sore thumb but I don't know any better. IJNAF T/O's are a bit if a brain-teaser, mind.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

quote:

That is an excellent idea the camera device.

Thank MichaelM. I wanted a proper Tac-Rec a/c type, but this was the path of least resistance (important when you got a gazillion other things to code). It does have...potential, I must admit

< Message edited by timtom -- 7/29/2009 2:26:08 PM >

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1365
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 4:57:33 PM   
Mike Solli

A couple of things:

1.  The 3 Ki-102 variants show up as follows:

Ki-102a - Mar 45
Ki-102b - Nov 44
Ki-102c - Oct 45

Did the "b" variant actually come out befor the "a" variant?

2.  In the city of Maebashi, there are 2 Ki-43-Ic factories.  Their sizes are 32(0) and 0(8) respectively.  That's the only place where I've seen a functional factory on 7 Dec 41 that shows damage.  Is this correct?  It may very well be, but it's curious.

Thanks.

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1366
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 5:37:39 PM   
Speedysteve

As per earlier mail I've noticed after my Coral Sea battle the air groups have filled up with loads of pilots. Far more than needed for full flight operations. Is this supposed to happen?

Secondly - in the Aleutians Campaign - there's no replacements set for PV-1's. Is this intentional?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to XENXEN)
Post #: 1367
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 6:35:28 PM   
DBS

In addition to my earlier points about Walrus and Swordfish I, puzzled by 5 Sqn RNZAF - seems to be in twice, not counting the Det at Singapore. It appears at game start at Suva as #3031, has no withdrawal date or return as, but also appears at #3033 at Suva on 440715. Is this supposed to in fact be No 6 Sqn? (Although that formed as a Catalina unit at Suva in May 1943, not July 1944, from a 5 Sqn cadre.)

David

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 1368
VP-13 & VP-43 - 7/29/2009 6:45:42 PM   
Buck Beach

V-43 appears to have been at NAS Seattle ( as opposed to San Diego in game) in 12/41 and transferred to Hawaii and then Aleutians shortly afterward they were equipped with 6 PBY5s.

http://www.vpnavy.org/vp43_1941.html;   http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_PBY_catalina_US_navy_squadrons.html

VP-13 was equipped with 4 PB2Ys but was at NAS San Diego at the beginning of the war (as opposed to 1/43 in game) (http://pacific.valka.cz/forces/admin4112.htm

But, I also found evidence that that as early as 2/42 VP-43 was active in San Francisco and San Diego and VP-13 was in Hawaii (but records 12/41 show them operating from San Diego as they transferred to Hawaii  http://www.pby.com/Archives.nsf/3a796208ccfb151e88256877001bb12b/9bfd6688b2d094f98825687d00351267!OpenDocument)

So maybe the only real things needing a change is the VP-13 being available at inception with the 4 PB2Ys and changing the VP-43s PB2Ys to PBY5s.

Sorry for the confusion.  Not trying to be a know-it-all, just trying to help.

< Message edited by Buck Beach -- 7/29/2009 6:49:34 PM >

Post #: 1369
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 6:46:44 PM   
bsq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bsq

1. Lancasters.
Listed is B Mk1 (FE), guns are that of a B Mk VII (FE). FE's had a bomb bay fuel tank that took the place of the 4000lb 'cookie' (indeed one questions the need for the 4000lb HC given the experiences of the B-29 raids)

My understanding is that the armament of the B.1 (FE) was 2x.303 Browning MK II in a F.N.5 nose turret, 2x.303 Browning MK II in a F.N.150 mid-upper turret, also removable if the 400 gal BB tank(-s) was carried, and 2x0.5 Browning Mk II in an F.N.82 or 121 rear turret. Don't know how many, if any, came with the F.N.79 turret.

The Mk VII, I believe, had a similar armament suite except the upper turret was a Martin housing 2x0.50's.

What do you hold the correct armament to be, Robert?

I was happy with the guns just that the mark was wrong - of course if you are making an amalgam, then fine that represents the best compromise - especially as chatting to a colleague today has led me to believe that many of the late war B Mk 1's had mods that made a right hotch-potch of gun armaments.

The cookie would have been superfluous, indeed chances are the mounting space would have been occupied with the tank as it was held near CofG.

The fuselage tank on the other hand that was added to some test aircraft was, by all accounts, problematic as it altered some of the handling characteristics of the Lancaster to such a point that it was disliked by the test crews (and if the test pilots don't do it then who are we to argue). Indeed do not forget that the Lancaster (unlike the B-17, 24 and 29) was a single pilot proposition and if it couldn't be 'trimmed out' taking the weight off the stick then the pilot would be the proverbial 'one armed paper hanger'.

Personally I would delete the cookie, replace two of the 1000lb bombs with 4lb incendiaries (cheaper to make especially as there was no steel casing and proven to work well on Japanese construction by Lemay).

I'll try to get you a source for the Dresden raid as (minus the 4000lb) the bomb load cited there is fairly typical and would be likely used in raids against population centres.

< Message edited by bsq -- 7/29/2009 11:12:24 PM >

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1370
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 7:54:54 PM   
ny59giants

I don't know if this questions goes here, but is it advisable to convert some of your Claudes on your smaller carriers to Zeros while in Japan before you deploy them southward at game start??

(in reply to bsq)
Post #: 1371
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 8:00:13 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

As per earlier mail I've noticed after my Coral Sea battle the air groups have filled up with loads of pilots. Far more than needed for full flight operations. Is this supposed to happen?

Secondly - in the Aleutians Campaign - there's no replacements set for PV-1's. Is this intentional?

No, the aircraft replacements should be (and will be) reset. Thanks. As for the pilot issue in Coral Sea, no idea. That's flyboy territory.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 1372
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 8:24:30 PM   
JuanG

Scenario 1 - Aircraft ID 828 Ki-84r Frank has ranges for extended and normal with droptanks, but no maximum.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1373
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 9:32:17 PM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

No, the aircraft replacements should be (and will be) reset. Thanks. As for the pilot issue in Coral Sea, no idea. That's flyboy territory.

Only thing I noticed was replacements were on. Japs never have that on, but I'm not sure what the norm is for Allied.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1374
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/29/2009 9:45:02 PM   
NormS3

Same issues in Gudalcanal senario, too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1375
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/30/2009 12:30:42 AM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: DBS

In addition to my earlier points about Walrus and Swordfish I, puzzled by 5 Sqn RNZAF - seems to be in twice, not counting the Det at Singapore. It appears at game start at Suva as #3031, has no withdrawal date or return as, but also appears at #3033 at Suva on 440715. Is this supposed to in fact be No 6 Sqn? (Although that formed as a Catalina unit at Suva in May 1943, not July 1944, from a 5 Sqn cadre.)

David

The Singapore-equipped No.5 Sqn becomes No.6 Sqn 11/42. The Singapore flight remained on Fiji after 5 Sqn was disestablished and was apparently unofficially known as No.6 Sqn. This is the cadre you're referring to when No.6 Sqn was officially established the following May. The second No.5 Sqn is an entirely different unit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

V-43 appears to have been at NAS Seattle (as opposed to San Diego in game) in 12/41 and transferred to Hawaii and then Aleutians shortly afterward they were equipped with 6 PBY5s.

The reference we've primarily relied on for the USN patrol squadrons is Roberts, Michael D.: Dictionary of American Naval Aviation Squadrons Vol.2: The History of VP, VPB, VP(HL) and (VP)AM Squadrons. Naval Historical Center, Department of the Navy 2000. Per this reference (p.458), VP-43 was based at San Diego 21/07/41 to 06/06/42 with a six-plane detachment at Kodiak, Alaska 01/04/42 to "late May".

quote:

VP-13 was equipped with 4 PB2Ys but was at NAS San Diego at the beginning of the war (as opposed to 1/43 in game)

VP-13 was based at San Diego from its formation in July '40 to early January '43. It's role was primarily to flight test the PB2Y, and, after the outbreak of war, to function as VIP-flight and as a transitional training unit. It also undertook some patrol work. A detachment operated out of Pearl from late '41, eventually doing a regular 12 roundtrips to Australia a month.

On balance we chose not to include VP-13 until it appears as a fully fledged combat unit in January '43.

quote:

Sorry for the confusion. Not trying to be a know-it-all, just trying to help.

No worries

btw, if I'm not responding to a bug report (like JuanG's) it's not that it's being ignored, it's because it's being logged, then fixed.

< Message edited by timtom -- 7/30/2009 12:38:21 AM >

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to DBS)
Post #: 1376
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/30/2009 12:37:07 AM   
88l71

Something I noticed:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1377
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/30/2009 2:16:08 AM   
Iridium

quote:

ORIGINAL: 88l71

Something I noticed:

Little did we know, the Allies were testing rocket assisted takeoff devices that lasted at least 10 minutes before the war and used them on Hurricanes and Hudsons.

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

(in reply to 88l71)
Post #: 1378
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/30/2009 2:32:14 AM   
Mynok

Looks like an extra zero to me.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Iridium)
Post #: 1379
RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups - 7/30/2009 2:39:03 AM   
88l71

Yeah, I figured it was just a small typo, not actual performance data.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1380
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Advice on altitudes for CV strike groups Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI