Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/13/2010 7:10:18 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: WLockard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I have a question about Realistic R&D.  When an airframe reaches it's production month and has an R&D facility, does that R&D facility become a production facility or remain an R&D facility?

I think it should, what would you do with an R&D factory for an aircraft you are producing?

Change it to a new AC type you want to accellerate research on?

(in reply to WLockard)
Post #: 1861
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/14/2010 5:09:18 AM   
erstad

quote:

I have a question about Realistic R&D.  When an airframe reaches it's production month and has an R&D facility, does that R&D facility become a production facility or remain an R&D facility?

Becomes a production facility.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1862
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/14/2010 9:43:21 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

And you lose a R&D ervery time you research one random AC? erstad do you change to another AC type right before to avoid
that or use the production points for the new planetype. I guess the second option but the you lose the R&D and you wont get it back right?

Doh! This again proved that Japanese industry is still a mystery to me...

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 1863
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/14/2010 3:02:41 PM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

And you lose a R&D ervery time you research one random AC? erstad do you change to another AC type right before to avoid
that or use the production points for the new planetype. I guess the second option but the you lose the R&D and you wont get it back right?

So far, I always let them go into production because if I'm researching it, by definition it's a plane I want and I usually want a bunch of them. Might do it differently later on if what's being researched is a plane that will have a lot of factories auto-upgrade to the new model.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 1864
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/15/2010 3:09:55 PM   
Mike Solli

Thanks erstad. Yet another wrinkle to Japanese production to muddle......

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 1865
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/16/2010 12:42:47 AM   
doc smith

Question on getting new pilots.  Playing Allied side in 8 Dec scenario.

Game doesn't seem to work as the manual suggests.  When I try to get a replacement pilot for a frontline sqdn, I'll set the type as "Trained/Rookie 50+", "Manual" and "Any" source.  Sometimes it works, sometimes I get a newbie with an overall experience < 50 - not what I've ordered.

When this happens, I'll try to pick a veteran.  I click on a name and it disappears from the selection array but isn't listed as a future reinf. on the sqdn list of pilots.  I've been in the case where I click 3 consecutive names in the array (i.e, which are in row X, row X+1, row X+2), I don't get the 1st or 3d but do get the second??? (1 and 3 disappear from the master list) All have the same experience, all are in "xxx reserve", and have a "1" under the "days" column.  I've found that if I find someone with the experiences I need who is assigned to a sqdn not currently in play, I'll get that person (even when trying to get someone from reserves with higher skills and that fails).

I hope someone can help me.  I also hope this plea made sense to potential helpers.

Doc Smith

(in reply to WLockard)
Post #: 1866
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/16/2010 11:21:46 PM   
jcjordan

quote:

ORIGINAL: doc smith

Question on getting new pilots.  Playing Allied side in 8 Dec scenario.

Game doesn't seem to work as the manual suggests.  When I try to get a replacement pilot for a frontline sqdn, I'll set the type as "Trained/Rookie 50+", "Manual" and "Any" source.  Sometimes it works, sometimes I get a newbie with an overall experience < 50 - not what I've ordered.

When this happens, I'll try to pick a veteran.  I click on a name and it disappears from the selection array but isn't listed as a future reinf. on the sqdn list of pilots.  I've been in the case where I click 3 consecutive names in the array (i.e, which are in row X, row X+1, row X+2), I don't get the 1st or 3d but do get the second??? (1 and 3 disappear from the master list) All have the same experience, all are in "xxx reserve", and have a "1" under the "days" column.  I've found that if I find someone with the experiences I need who is assigned to a sqdn not currently in play, I'll get that person (even when trying to get someone from reserves with higher skills and that fails).

I hope someone can help me.  I also hope this plea made sense to potential helpers.

Doc Smith

On part 1 what normally is happening is that there are no pilots that fit the experience lvl setting due to wounds etc.
On part 2 what I've noticed (not sure if it's true or not, dev type would have to say for sure) but in my game when that happens (pilots disappearing when asking for a vet) it'll show up in the pilot list but will take some time (maybe a few days to a week) & then he'll still show due in a few more days but will show on the pilot roster. I'm not positive if this is what's happening or not but I think all pilots in the selected pilot pool will show regardless of whether he's available in the game ie Bong doesn't come in till mid 42 but in Dec 41 you can request a veteran & be able to select him into a unit but he probably won't show on the pilot roster till the time he's set to come in. I think wounded pilots show as well in the request a veteran so they won't appear on unit's pilot roster until they're healed. I've not conclusively tested this but just things I've noticed & done a very basic check on so all might not be true.

(in reply to doc smith)
Post #: 1867
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/26/2010 1:33:04 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

Why would you ever have a game set up to use "realistic R&D" then ... it's basically the same as not. I'm confused and will test this myself cause it seems strange to me at least.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 1868
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/26/2010 4:53:07 PM   
WLockard

Realistic R&D means you can not change a R&D factory to a production factory. But, when the aircraft for the R&D factory is available, it then becomes a production factory.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1869
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/26/2010 10:59:00 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: WLockard

Realistic R&D means you can not change a R&D factory to a production factory. But, when the aircraft for the R&D factory is available, it then becomes a production factory.

But when it becomes a production facility, I assume you can't then change it to another production choice only another R@D facility ... right ? Which means that to continuously use that facility to R&D, and produce planes that you've R&D'd you are expending double the supplies ... not something I'd care to undertake.

(in reply to WLockard)
Post #: 1870
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/28/2010 11:38:43 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477
But when it becomes a production facility, I assume you can't then change it to another production choice only another R@D facility ... right ? Which means that to continuously use that facility to R&D, and produce planes that you've R&D'd you are expending double the supplies ... not something I'd care to undertake.

Realistic R&D means that you can't change a R&D factory to a production factory, and vice versa. Other changes are allowed (that is, you can change an R&D factory to another R&D factory, and you can change a production factory to another production factory).

Turning this off means that any changes are allowed, as in the original game.

Andrew

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1871
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/28/2010 9:47:09 PM   
Mike Solli

I just got this reinforcement. Note that it is a Val unit but upgrades to a Kate unit. Is this correct? I'm using the last official patch (not the beta that just came out).

Thanks.

Attachment (1)

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 1872
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 2/28/2010 10:10:35 PM   
witpqs

Don't know about that particular one, but there are lots of British/Australian, etc. air units that up grade to different types (bombers->fighters, fighters->bombers, search->transport, and so on).

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1873
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/1/2010 10:24:47 AM   
Roko

I think its correct for this unit

BTW
L2D2 Tabby max and cruising speed is in knots ( 191-140 ) insted of miles

http://www.combinedfleet.com/ijna/l2d.htm

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1874
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/13/2010 1:40:21 PM   
mariandavid

Apologies if mentioned before; does anyone know why the three Spit V squadrons that start in Melbourne in 1942 do not increase in plane numbers. The a/c type is not in production for either the RAF or the RAAF at this date, but I believe that the squadrons did get to full strength and fight (with varying success) the IJN over Darwin well before the end of 1942. Should they perhaps have arrived as complete?

(in reply to Roko)
Post #: 1875
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/13/2010 2:10:20 PM   
wdolson

If I remember right, that was a wing that was hastily transferred to Australia as an emergency, but they either saw no combat or only limited combat because most of their planes were delayed on delivery and there were few Spitfires in Australia until the threat to Darwin was gone.

Later there was a lot of friction between the RAAF and the 5th AF because this wing was one of the highest experienced in the theater (it was very active against the Germans before getting transferred home), but the Americans refused to put them on the front lines.  They spent the rest of the war cooling their heels in Darwin.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to mariandavid)
Post #: 1876
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/13/2010 5:17:07 PM   
mariandavid

Thanks wdolson: The problem is that I have a recollection (I may be wrong) that the squadrons went up to Darwin in full force in 1942. There they got thumped by the Zeros in the 1st battle (they were ex Battle of Britain pilots using tactics that worked against Me 109's); then, being experienced corrected and achieved equality or better in losses. Hence my issue over only having SIX Spit 5's in three squadrons in October 1942!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 1877
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/13/2010 11:48:27 PM   
wdolson

Here's a history of No 1 Wing RAAF http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1_Wing_RAAF

Initially only 6 Spitfires arrived with the pilots in early October, the rest being diverted to Egypt.  Another batch of Spitfires did arrive in late October.  The Wing was not ready for combat until the end of January 1943.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to mariandavid)
Post #: 1878
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 3/17/2010 4:31:49 PM   
Moss Orleni

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moss Orleni

To my knowledge (correct me if I' m wrong), all patrol planes are also seaplanes in game terms (not sure bout the ZPK and the Ka-1).

The original question however is related to patrol planes. To put it more concretely:
will a PBY unit flying patrol missions from an airbase size 0 without Air HQ (the presence of aviation suport/tenders doesn't seem to be relevant for overstacking) suffer from administrative (or physical) overstacking?

If so, setting up a forward patrol/float plane base will always be hampered by the overstacking penalties.

Cheers,

Moss

IIRC, this was the main reason for treating float-equipped planes slightly differently.
Seaplanes in a coastal base hex don't count towards the physical stack (assumed floating on the surrounding water) and count as 1 administratively regardless of how many groups present (assumption is that the command/operational support is coming from outside the base e.g. AV/AVD/etc).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moss Orleni

Michael,

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm probably a bit slow , but do I understand correctly that a seaplane-tagged float plane squadron will be administratively overstacked if no seaplane tender is available, and not overstacked if there is one available? And if one is available, is the administrative overstacking dependent on the amount of aviation support offered by that tender?

Moss

Since I feel this is important (due to the nature of search missions), I sort of bump this back into the Air thread , hoping to get a definitive answer...

To put the question as simple as possible: consider a float plane squadron (fi PBY Catalina) operating from a level 0 airfield with no HQ available to reduce/avoid overstacking and no seaplane tender present:

1) will the unit suffer from overstacking penalties (ie fewer planes taking off on a mission, more casualties from attack, slower aircraft repair)? This is particularly important for search missions, since if less planes than planned perform a search mission, certain search arcs will not be covered.

2) if 1) is true, will the presence of a seaplane tender have any effect on the administrative/physical overstacking and is this effect related to the amount of seaplane support?

3) if 2) is true, how will the presence of a seaplane tender affect airfield overstacking on level 1-10 airfields?

Thanks,

Moss

(in reply to Hipper)
Post #: 1879
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/18/2010 1:08:18 AM   
mikemike

Something I only just realized:

All variants of the Ki-44 Tojo have the wrong engine: in the official scenarios they are defined as having the Nakajima Ha-35 (Device 1932) while in reality they had the Nakajima Ha-34 (Device 1931). This is an important difference because the Ha-35 is used in a lot of planes while the Ha-34 is used only for the Ki-49; if you don't build the Ki-49 you can stop building the Ha-34, whereas in real life that would cost you the Ki-44. This should be corrected.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 1880
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/18/2010 7:21:58 AM   
Barb

This could have critical impact on all japanese players as they planned their production based on Ki-44 using Ha-35. Altough if it is a Database change, it should not impact ongoing games, only the newly started after patch. My 0,02€

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 1881
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/22/2010 3:50:06 PM   
JuanG

Scenario 1;

Device 209 - "800kg AP Bomb" has Device Type set to 3 (GP Bomb), whereas other Japanese "AP" bombs have Device Type set to 4 (AP Bomb).

No idea if this has a practical effect, but just something I noticed.

Edit; Device 210 - "2000lb AP Bomb" has the same problem.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 3/22/2010 3:51:14 PM >

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 1882
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 3/27/2010 8:58:54 PM   
FatR

A question about Japanese recon planes (sorry if it already has been answered): it seems, that no Japanese specialized recon planes carry camera devices, but Ki-51 and Ki-36 do have them. Is this intentional? And what exactly camera does?

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 1883
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 4/1/2010 10:30:46 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Realistic R&D means that you can't change a R&D factory to a production factory, and vice versa. Other changes are allowed (that is, you can change an R&D factory to another R&D factory, and you can change a production factory to another production factory).

Turning this off means that any changes are allowed, as in the original game.

Andrew

Thank you for this explanation. This answered all my open questions/doubts I had concerning this topic. Highly apprechiated!

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 1884
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal - 4/3/2010 9:19:13 AM   
somali

misspelling of IJN Air group

Maizura Ku T-1 miss

Maizuru Ku T-1 correct

Maizuru Ku was named after naval port Maizuru(110,58).

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 1885
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - 4/7/2010 12:06:28 AM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: sven6345789

Question regarding A-24 Banshee
checked the dates for the A type (the first one you get, there are two), and it is listed as being available from 2/42 until 2/42; WAD? you get the second type (B ) in 3/43, so 2/43 would also make sense.

WAD. Limited issue only.

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Slot 339, the P-400. Has different machine gun armament for regular range versus extended range.

Wpn 1 is "1893 .30 Browning MG"

Wpn 11 is "150 .303 Browning MG"

Bug. Practical impact nill, though.

quote:

I just got this reinforcement. Note that it is a Val unit but upgrades to a Kate unit. Is this correct? I'm using the last official patch (not the beta that just came out).

Thanks.

WAD. 40th Kokutai was an inshore patrol unit, not a divebomber unit per se.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

Something I only just realized:

All variants of the Ki-44 Tojo have the wrong engine: in the official scenarios they are defined as having the Nakajima Ha-35 (Device 1932) while in reality they had the Nakajima Ha-34 (Device 1931). This is an important difference because the Ha-35 is used in a lot of planes while the Ha-34 is used only for the Ki-49; if you don't build the Ki-49 you can stop building the Ha-34, whereas in real life that would cost you the Ki-44. This should be corrected.

Bug.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JuanG

Scenario 1;

Device 209 - "800kg AP Bomb" has Device Type set to 3 (GP Bomb), whereas other Japanese "AP" bombs have Device Type set to 4 (AP Bomb).

No idea if this has a practical effect, but just something I noticed.

Edit; Device 210 - "2000lb AP Bomb" has the same problem.

Bug.

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

A question about Japanese recon planes (sorry if it already has been answered): it seems, that no Japanese specialized recon planes carry camera devices, but Ki-51 and Ki-36 do have them. Is this intentional? And what exactly camera does?

The device allows the recon mission on a/c types that would otherwise not be able to do so. Also added to others to signal "this is a recon sorta a/c", however this is just chrome -the recon TYPE can undertake the recon mission regardless.

quote:

ORIGINAL: somali

misspelling of IJN Air group

Maizura Ku T-1 miss

Maizuru Ku T-1 correct

Maizuru Ku was named after naval port Maizuru(110,58).

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 1886
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - 4/17/2010 10:22:49 PM   
Milman

I have one question.

When aircraft factory "consume" engine ? In turn when plane is produced and placed in pool or ....

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 1887
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - 4/24/2010 10:02:35 AM   
Sardaukar

Seems that IJN "Pre-CAP-phase" AAA might be bit too powerful. I don't know if it's Air issue, but since it affects planes, I hope Devs would take a look.

Discussions:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2442114&mpage=1&key=�

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2446654&mpage=1&key=

I have seen this in my own games (vs. IJ AI, Historical difficulty) and was at loss why it was happening until new "combat phase" was revealed.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 4/24/2010 10:04:07 AM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Milman)
Post #: 1888
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - 4/26/2010 12:49:33 PM   
treespider

Good thing I looked in here...three posts up TimTom lists a bunch of bugs I can correct in my mod....

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 1889
RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - 5/7/2010 5:02:24 PM   
hbrsvl

Hi-I don't know how else to get the following into the right hands. So, if I'm in the wrong place, I appologise.

My problem has to do with an air unit having incorrect aircraft.

Details: Playing Allies, scen.9, 6/16/42, v1102a. I have unit # 2628 at San Diego. Unit name is VMSB 244, but aircraft assigned to the unit are 18-F4F-4.

Can this be fixed? If so, how-please know that I am not a computer programmer. Are there other glitches like this around?

Thanks, Hugh Browne

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 1890
Page:   <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues - withdrawal Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI