Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2008 4:09:11 PM   
Speedysteve

Yup. Several of the Top Intel guys stated it would be totally unsuitable for large air strips but as you say T Macarthur just blundered on........

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 541
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2008 2:00:31 AM   
wdolson

FYI, Tacloban currently has an airfield build ability of 6 and a port build ability of 2.  It may change before release.

The orignal invasion site for the Philippines was not going to be Leyte.  The USN conducted some raids in the PI during the summer of 44 to keep the air assets down.  On one occasion, a pilot was shot down near Leyte and was rescued by natives and eventually returned to the fleet.  He learned from the natives that the Japanese presence on Leyte was very minimal.

Based on this intelligence, and Leyte's good proximity to Luzon, the invasion site was moved from, I believe, Mindanao, to Leyte.

My father was attached to the first B-25 unit to land at Tacloban.  At the time the only things there were a couple of P-38 squadrons and his unit.  He said the beach was littered with Navy planes that had landed there after Taffy 3 was beaten up.  They pushed them off into the surf as soon as they landed.  He was told the USN had lost some carriers, but he didn't learn any more than that until after the war.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 542
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2008 9:46:06 AM   
Speedysteve

Thanks Bill.

As I say personally I think the SPS should be lower but just my thoughts based upon what i've read.

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 543
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2008 7:46:18 PM   
anarchyintheuk

MacArthur just wanted to return to/liberate the Phillipines and in the process erase his defeat. I don't think he was particular about whether it was Midinao or Leyte as the stepping stone. As w/ everything else in the Pacific, an offensive represented a bid for forces. Once he landed at either island it was guaranteed he'd be able to liberate Luzon. My understanding was that originally Mindinao was to be invaded in 12/44, followed by Leyte, then finally Luzon as circumstances dictated. It was Halsey's reconnaissance that indicated Leyte was weakly held and it was Halsey who proposed the direct invasion of Leyte (thereby skipping Mindanao) and moving up the timetable. That proposal was approved by the US Chiefs of Staff during the Quebec conference. Halsey and the US Chiefs had access to the same intelligence concerning Leyte's suitability for air ops as MacArthur.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 544
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2008 9:42:36 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

Anarchy,

I got the impression that Halsey would support any operation that was likely to bring the IJN out. I am not sure he represented an objective view on the the Leyte campaign.

I do agree that MacArthur just wanted any operational plan that allowed him to retake the PI, but I don't think he was motivated to erase his defeat. I don't get the sense that he felt the "he" had been defeated. Rather, he wanted to keep his word--which was approximately equal parts noble and arrogant.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 545
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2008 3:42:15 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Valid points.

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 546
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2008 6:47:21 PM   
Yamato hugger

Douggie pictured himself as the Emperor of the PI and had to get back to his subjects.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 547
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/14/2008 9:05:42 PM   
Alikchi2

So, is the map still being worked on? Or is your work done, Mr Brown?

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 548
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/14/2008 10:55:02 PM   
Yamato hugger

Its still being tweeked here and there.

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 549
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/16/2008 7:05:10 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Yes. The tweaks at this stage are very minor, though. The map has been pretty much in its final state for a while now.

Andrew

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 550
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/16/2008 3:38:07 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Yes. The tweaks at this stage are very minor, though. The map has been pretty much in its final state for a while now.

Andrew

Can we get a screenshot of the West Coast? Pretty please?

I am really curious to see what new bases the West Coast has now and how it will look with the new 40 mile hex's.

Thanks in advance

Chad

(I know there is already one of the West Coast, but it is obscured by a window and you cant really see anything)

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 551
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 12:57:01 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
Can we get a screenshot of the West Coast? Pretty please?

I am really curious to see what new bases the West Coast has now and how it will look with the new 40 mile hex's.

Sure. Here it is. Two screenshots are required to see it all in AE...

Andrew

PS: Note that this is a one-off. I am not going to post a bunch of screenshots showing all (or most) of the AE map.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 552
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 12:58:25 AM   
Andrew Brown

Here is the other bit...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 12/22/2008 3:04:47 AM >

Post #: 553
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 12:59:06 AM   
Andrew Brown

Sorry. Embed in post doesn't appear to be working anymore. You will have to click on the links to see them.

Andrew

PS: Sorry again - was just on my PC. Now its OK here.

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 12/22/2008 3:05:18 AM >

Post #: 554
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 1:35:03 AM   
Alikchi2

The new bases and terrain.. so pretty! Makes me want to land a couple divisions in San Fran.

Post #: 555
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 2:40:25 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

The new bases and terrain.. so pretty! Makes me want to land a couple divisions in San Fran.

Easier to do now than in WitP.

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 556
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 2:55:53 AM   
Alikchi2

quote:

quote:

Oh yes? Why's that?

Post #: 557
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 2:58:21 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Sorry. Embed in post doesn't appear to be working anymore. You will have to click on the links to see them.

Andrew

I see them embedded.

Bill

Post #: 558
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 3:03:21 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
I see them embedded.

Bill

Really? That is interesting. All I see above is the "attachment" text and symbol...

Andrew

EDIT - Checked my PC. MY bad - it was my settings for my ad-blocker. Got too enthusiastic with blocking things and ended up blocking many of the images on this notice board!

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 12/22/2008 3:06:32 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 559
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 4:00:50 AM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

Sure. Here it is. Two screenshots are required to see it all in AE...

Andrew

PS: Note that this is a one-off. I am not going to post a bunch of screenshots showing all (or most) of the AE map.

Glad I was the first to ask then!

Thanks for posting them. As others have noted, and as I will once again point out, they look simply stunning. Huge kudos to the map art team.

Thanks again Andrew

Chad

Post #: 560
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 4:09:21 AM   
Heeward

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad ran out of Tacoma - along the west side of Hood Canal and along the south coast of Strait of Juan de Fuca, but stopping short of Neah Bay - at Port Angles on the map?   Another line ran from Tacoma to the ports of Grays Harbor - Cosmopolis/Aberdeen/Hoquim   Is Bremerton and it's Naval Ship Yard included in Seattle / Tacoma? Bremerton is located in the hex due east of Seattle. It also had a war time airport - with two dozen revetments that a future road project I am involved with will be wiping out their foot prints. Shelton Airfield would be located in the same hex even though it is located on the west side of Hoods Canal.   Ports of Grays Harbor county - due west of Tacoma on the map.  My Father-in law in the 41st Infantry Division - 205th Field Artillery was sent there after Pearl Harbor to guard the coast.   A railroad line ran from Portland to Astoria and out to Fort Stevens.   I can see Vancouver Barracks and its airfields Pearson and Evergreen being absorbed into Portland even though they are located north of the Columbia River.  

The Wake

Post #: 561
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 4:32:55 AM   
wdolson

Portland/Vancouver are combined.  There are several ships that come out of the Kaiser Shipyards in Vancouver that show up in the Portland hex.

Some rail lines might have been missed.  I did go over the west coast map fairly well since I've lived on it my whole life, it's a bit of interest for me.  I used to drive past the base in San Luis Obispo daily when I was in school.  It's a National Guard base now, though parts of it are abandoned.

Bill

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 562
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 5:50:18 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heeward

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad ran out of Tacoma - along the west side of Hood Canal and along the south coast of Strait of Juan de Fuca, but stopping short of Neah Bay - at Port Angles on the map?   Another line ran from Tacoma to the ports of Grays Harbor - Cosmopolis/Aberdeen/Hoquim   Is Bremerton and it's Naval Ship Yard included in Seattle / Tacoma? Bremerton is located in the hex due east of Seattle. It also had a war time airport - with two dozen revetments that a future road project I am involved with will be wiping out their foot prints. Shelton Airfield would be located in the same hex even though it is located on the west side of Hoods Canal.   Ports of Grays Harbor county - due west of Tacoma on the map.  My Father-in law in the 41st Infantry Division - 205th Field Artillery was sent there after Pearl Harbor to guard the coast.   A railroad line ran from Portland to Astoria and out to Fort Stevens.   I can see Vancouver Barracks and its airfields Pearson and Evergreen being absorbed into Portland even though they are located north of the Columbia River.  

AB,

Are you going to include Wooloomanata ??

It was used by the RAAF to provide 79 Sqn with some bush training before being sent north, as such it was possible to use it for training of other fighter squadrons.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 563
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 5:57:32 AM   
Grotius

I used to live in that part of the world too, and I think it's a lovely rendition. It's neat that we can clearly discern the shape of San Francisco Bay. (I don't remember whether one could discern it in stock, but if so, I never noticed it.) Nice to see Napa Valley too. I really love the farmland-style graphic you're using in the valley, not to mention the clear, bright mountains. Heck, even the desert looks great.

I also wondered about Bremerton, but I assumed Bremerton was part of the Seattle hex, which is reasonable. I assume some bases are identified only by mouseovers? Is that Bellingham east of Victoria? And Long Beach next to Los Angeles?

I know it's far too late to be asking this, but will there be any option to see oil/resources/factories/yards on the map, the way Subchaser's map does it? Not a big deal -- just one of those "nice to have" things. Something that even *I* could mod. :)

Anyway, kudos to Andrew. I can't even begin to imagine how much work went into this.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 564
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 6:51:57 AM   
rockmedic109

I still live in that {this} part of the world.  It was great to see Sacramento {where I live} on the map.  Looks like Coos Bay is also on the map.  Beautiful map.  I am now officially salivating at the upcoming game to end all games.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 565
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 6:54:42 AM   
Andrew Brown

Yes, I left Bremerton as part of Seattle, although technically it could be made a separate base in the hex just West of Seattle.

Long beach is in the LA hex. The base to the "East" (map-wise) of LA is Santa Ana.

The base to the "East" of Victoria is Oak Harbor.

Even though there are more bases in AE, there are still fewer on the US West coast than compared to other parts of the map. If placed here using the same criteria, there would be bases all over the US West coast. In game terms there is no need to add so many in this part of the map.

Andrew

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 566
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 7:33:25 AM   
dhuffjr2

I lived in Oak Harbor Washington for a while 30 years ago.  I'm curious what role it played during the war.  Is Fort Casey represented?

Post #: 567
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 9:08:00 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhuffjr2

I lived in Oak Harbor Washington for a while 30 years ago.  I'm curious what role it played during the war.  Is Fort Casey represented?

Two main roles in AE: 1. The Puget Sound Defenses (a fixed unit representing the coastal defense forts in the area, including Ft. Casey) is based here. It eventually gets a couple of 16" guns. Later in the war, several naval patrol/bomber aircraft squadrons form up at Oak Harbor.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to dhuffjr2)
Post #: 568
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 9:15:53 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

quote:

. . . and easier to repel, too. In AE the US will have a solid chunk of forces that were camped on the West Coast while they trained for service in Europe. At one time or another these include 3 Armored Divisions that trained around San Luis Obispo, and 4 infantry divisions that trained near Corvallis. These forces are on-map (but restricted to the West Coast) until the date they were historically deployed to the ETO. In addition to these standing West Coast forces, the US gets another four divisions worth of invasion reinforcements (and Patton as a Corps Commander) if the Japanese are foolish enough to invade.

Bring it on, Tojo!

< Message edited by Blackhorse -- 12/22/2008 9:53:10 AM >

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 569
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2008 9:50:46 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

AB,

Are you going to include Wooloomanata ??

It was used by the RAAF to provide 79 Sqn with some bush training before being sent north, as such it was possible to use it for training of other fighter squadrons.

I don't have the game open at the moment, but since Andrew is Australian, he put extra attention to Australia. There are more bases there than stock, quite a few in the south and more in the bush.

Bill

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI